Read 3271559 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #13100 on: July 09, 2021, 01:58:51 pm »
What are you doing in exchange for that fancy helicopter ride?

휘파람 직업

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #13101 on: July 09, 2021, 02:02:41 pm »
Yeah, I didn't get that vibe from you at all. Like I said, there's plenty of legit reasons for being bummed and wanting to leave the country. How could anyone begrudge someone who maybe had a big trip across Europe planned or was going to do a once-in-a-lifetime hike across Nepal or something like that and it all got canceled and now they're facing ANOTHER year of waiting?

I think Aristocrat and others are speaking towards the "I NEED to get out of here" crowd that seems to compulsively do it every 6 months, either for some sort of travel obsession or for glandular purposes.

Me personally, I was really looking forward to either going back home and seeing the folks (COVID permitting). Maybe catch up with old friends. It does suck that it looks to be on hold. 

I understand his point, but was just confused as to why he quoted me.  I spent about a decade where because of a relationship with my Thai ex, it was either trips to Toronto or wherever my dad was living in the U.S. (San Fran area then Florida) and hitting Thailand every year.  I liked it, but once I got my freedom and started dating a Korean woman who not only had a job, but makes a nice chunk more than me, we started going to new places every year and I realised how much I missed it.  So, last year was planned out doing Florence and working our way up to Munich and it was cancelled and cancelled again.  So, staying in Korea, for me, is much less exciting.  In my living memory I've never not at least gone to one other country in a calendar year.  And, yes, I am including crossing the Rainbow Bridge to Niagara Falls, N.Y. in some of my younger years.  That place makes you not want to travel, though.  What a dump. 

« Reply #13102 on: July 09, 2021, 02:03:32 pm »
I google image searched glandular looking for a funny picture and I very much regret doing that.

Speaking of travel, let's jump back to September of 2019.

:-* Kevin, it's your mother. We're finally, after you living there for 7 years, going to come and visit Korea next year in 2020.

:police: OH SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT T

Well, you can imagine how that turned out.

« Reply #13103 on: July 09, 2021, 02:06:33 pm »
Hahah Demartino!  "Glandular purposes"!!!  :laugh: 

« Reply #13104 on: July 09, 2021, 02:49:12 pm »
I understand his point, but was just confused as to why he quoted me. 

Was just a general response to the gist of what I was reading. Apologies if it felt like a personal attack, it wasn't.

Though not always the case, many who need to travel somewhere every damn weekend or get on a plane every 6 months end up doing little more than travelling between places to eat, drinking, chatting and filling up their Instagram

• AvecPommesFrites
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2017, 02:19:33 pm
    • Incheon International Airport Immigration Office Detention Facility
« Reply #13105 on: July 09, 2021, 02:50:50 pm »
While it is fun. It's actually misleading. If you look at which country more and more develops new words and also injects technical terminology and academic lingo into its vernacular, it is undoubtedly the United States.

In fact, if you look at terms that are used for things, particularly those that are recently developed, American English appears to place a greater emphasis on distinction and concept.

I mean 'elevator vs. lift' and 'parking lot vs. car park' Someone sure is simplified and it's not the Americans.

I could care less.  :blank:
Soggy undergarments

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #13106 on: July 09, 2021, 03:05:23 pm »
Was just a general response to the gist of what I was reading. Apologies if it felt like a personal attack, it wasn't.

Though not always the case, many who need to travel somewhere every damn weekend or get on a plane every 6 months end up doing little more than travelling between places to eat, drinking, chatting and filling up their Instagram

Yeah, thanks.  I didn't want to get lumped in with that group.  I know the kind that just have a list of all the places they need to go and take a selfie so they can come back and show everyone what they did.  I don't like to move from place to place.  I like to spend at least a week in a new city and just randomly explore.  My GF is fortunately not concerned with hitting the hot spots as well.  I told her she must be the only South Korean to go to San Francisco and never go on a cable car or go to Alcatraz.  A highlight for me is getting whatever transit pass a city uses for public transportation and getting to know my way around by subway or tram.  If I had an instagram account I don't think a shot of me holding an Oyster Card in front of a tube station would get many likes. 

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #13107 on: July 09, 2021, 03:18:01 pm »
Variety is the spice of life.

Nice to be able leave Korea occasionally. Occasionally, as in once a year or more.

Most people feel that way I think.

Want to have the option to escape the extremely hot and humid summer. And the polluted winter.

Also, to live life. Itís short. Want to experience a lot.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #13108 on: July 12, 2021, 03:04:23 pm »
Variety is the spice of life.

Nice to be able leave Korea occasionally. Occasionally, as in once a year or more.

Most people feel that way I think.

Want to have the option to escape the extremely hot and humid summer. And the polluted winter.

Also, to live life. Itís short. Want to experience a lot.
Indeed.

Few Koreans have been to the Western-most isle of Hongdo (a 3-hour ferry west of Mokpo), to Ulleungdo near Dokdo, to Geoje, though they have been to Jeju once so they feel they have been everywhere important.

Your home town + Seoul + Jeju .... F the rest of the country. Look to Saipan or other international destinations as cachet.
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13109 on: July 13, 2021, 07:29:04 am »

• JNM
  • Waygook Lord

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #13110 on: July 13, 2021, 06:12:44 pm »
Couldn't.   >:(

I am sure Fries is capable.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #13111 on: July 13, 2021, 08:59:39 pm »
One could care less.

Minus one is less than zero.

One could be against it with extreme prejudice.
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #13112 on: July 14, 2021, 05:27:02 am »
Monday was a big day for 50-somethings in South Korea. The reservations for long-awaited COVID-19 vaccines finally opened up.

http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20210713001035

But at around 2 p.m. the online and over-the-phone system for vaccine booking shut down altogether having opened at midnight. The Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency, which oversees the vaccination campaign, said that they couldnít take more appointments. There werenít any vaccines left.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13113 on: July 14, 2021, 07:19:43 am »
*Of course* one could care less, but admitting it undermines the point one is trying to get across: that whatever it was that somebody said to them was not very worthwhile/important/etc.
Saying that you could care less means that you do actually care to some extent.
Saying that you couldn't care less implies that you don't care at all.

The phrase with the negative particle is the original (mid 1800s) while the one without originates in the US some time during the 1950s and there are 3 theories about its origin:
-(A) sarcasm
-(B) lack of education (particles are hard to understand!)
-(C) aesthetics (easier to say quickly, apparently).

Both versions are commonly used, so neither is wrong per se, but... refer to B.  :smiley:

Anyway, I couldn't care less which is used... so long as "I could care fewer." (which I have actually heard before) doesn't catch on...  :shocked: >:(

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode in linguistic rants: double negatives involving the contraction "ain't"!

• Adel
  • The Legend

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #13114 on: July 14, 2021, 07:29:32 am »
I suspect the Pommy was guilty of -(A) sarcasm but not so much as in relating to its origins in the 1950's but rather being sarcastic towards those who have trouble with particles and contractions that sometimes frequent this forum.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13115 on: July 14, 2021, 07:32:38 am »
I suspect you're right. French fries are notoriously acerbic (especially when properly consumed with vinegar and pepper)!

• AvecPommesFrites
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2017, 02:19:33 pm
    • Incheon International Airport Immigration Office Detention Facility
« Reply #13116 on: July 15, 2021, 12:08:20 pm »
Kyndo show some respect!  :shocked:

Of course I was being sarcastic, when am I not?  :rolleyes:
Soggy undergarments

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #13117 on: July 15, 2021, 02:39:02 pm »
DON'T TAKE THIS SOAPBOX AWAY FROM ME FRITES! PEOPLE NEED TO HEAR ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!1!!!!

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #13118 on: July 15, 2021, 03:35:46 pm »
The first-dose vaccinations of over 7 million people in their 50s, which were supposed to be completed by Aug. 7 under the initial plan, have been delayed to Aug. 25.

http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20210714000877
___________________ ___________________ _

Vaccine shortages are causing delays.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #13119 on: July 15, 2021, 11:23:34 pm »
A rant with a cute smile: https://youtu.be/DO5x_tJBn7w