Read 3339490 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #13020 on: July 01, 2021, 08:32:52 am »
Did any other Gyeonggi teachers get this message today?

I walk in and my main coteacher has sent me this document and advised me that I must "FIRMLY" follow it!

Is it true that foreign teachers are to blame for 132/162 cases in Gyeonggi??? Also parents and schools are thinking of complaining/asking for some kind of punishment for the spread?

Does anyone have any more info on this?

Here is the attachment I was given.

« Reply #13021 on: July 01, 2021, 08:56:29 am »
Did any other Gyeonggi teachers get this message today?

I walk in and my main coteacher has sent me this document and advised me that I must "FIRMLY" follow it!

Is it true that foreign teachers are to blame for 132/162 cases in Gyeonggi??? Also parents and schools are thinking of complaining/asking for some kind of punishment for the spread?

Does anyone have any more info on this?

Here is the attachment I was given.

If they're going to point fingers and blame, perhaps they should start with their own mothers and fathers of that cult church.

« Reply #13022 on: July 01, 2021, 08:58:32 am »

« Reply #13023 on: July 01, 2021, 09:05:44 am »
Is it true that foreign teachers are to blame for 132/162 cases in Gyeonggi???

This isn't confirmed in any way, it's just something I read in different groups, but supposedly it was a Korean teacher who had started the spread. She was experiencing symptoms and had lied about getting tested. When the symptoms got worse, she got tested for real and came up positive, but by then the damage had already been done. She'd spread it to coworkers, who went on to spread it to others. A few of them happened to be foreigners.

Again, this is just hearsay, but it's what I know so far.

« Reply #13024 on: July 01, 2021, 09:08:39 am »
Thanks CO2!  It's just infuriating!  I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread here or just post it under ranting/venting.

It's so ridiculous they way they have treated/targeted foreigners in Korea with regard to COVID-19.  Even the way my coteacher (the evil one) wrote "follow the document FIRMLY" above her attachment of the document was so damn patronising and condescending!

« Reply #13025 on: July 01, 2021, 09:22:45 am »
Thanks CO2!  It's just infuriating!  I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread here or just post it under ranting/venting.

It's so ridiculous they way they have treated/targeted foreigners in Korea with regard to COVID-19.  Even the way my coteacher (the evil one) wrote "follow the document FIRMLY" above her attachment of the document was so damn patronising and condescending!

"6 people you don't know behaved poorly, maybe, so you are now under suspicion."

Who?

"6 people in a different city. They have the same job you do and also aren't Korean so that's close enough."

Wait, what? Ahhh, collective punishment, got it.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #13026 on: July 01, 2021, 09:35:31 am »
I asked my co-teacher about that document, and explained that some schools got it.
She said, if I go anywhere to just let her know where I'm going - which I do anyway, because we chat a lot.
But, she also knows I follow the masks guideline the most out of all the teachers in our school, and that I rarely go anywhere, so she said she doesn't really see the need for me to tell her that stuff unless I want to during conversation haha.

« Reply #13027 on: July 01, 2021, 09:50:40 am »
If they're going to point fingers and blame, perhaps they should start with their own mothers and fathers of that cult church.
I think plenty did that. Just because we're foreign or Koreans do something stupid doesn't mean we can do anything and not get it reported.  The Korean media has reported on outbreaks involving all kinds of businesses or groups. They're going to report on us too.

The document is a CYA thing. Nothing new in there. It simply restates existing policy.

And, if true, and that's a big if, that both the Gyeonggi and Seoul cluster infections, are tied to NETs, then yeah, we probably should get at a minimum a CYA notice.

I will say that if the choice is trusting the official source behind the best infectious disease track and trace program in the world vs. Random Person on the Internet, I'm going to go with the first as to the source of the outbreak.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 10:17:11 am by Mr.DeMartino »

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #13028 on: July 01, 2021, 11:47:34 am »
I think plenty did that. Just because we're foreign or Koreans do something stupid doesn't mean we can do anything and not get it reported.  The Korean media has reported on outbreaks involving all kinds of businesses or groups. They're going to report on us too.

The document is a CYA thing. Nothing new in there. It simply restates existing policy.

And, if true, and that's a big if, that both the Gyeonggi and Seoul cluster infections, are tied to NETs, then yeah, we probably should get at a minimum a CYA notice.

I will say that if the choice is trusting the official source behind the best infectious disease track and trace program in the world vs. Random Person on the Internet, I'm going to go with the first as to the source of the outbreak.

It's profiling and you know it.  Don't make an excuse for every offensive behaviour that happens here.  Pretty soon you'll have no credibility and people won't take you seriously. 

« Reply #13029 on: July 01, 2021, 12:23:51 pm »
It's profiling and you know it.  Don't make an excuse for every offensive behaviour that happens here.  Pretty soon you'll have no credibility and people won't take you seriously. 
Well, sometimes you kind of have to profile. If there is indeed a cluster linked to foreign teachers and it might not be contained, then yes, in the interest of public health, you should probably notify them to be careful and perhaps test.

The government of Korea has a duty to protect its residents using the best means at their disposal within the law.

I think a written notice is a pretty even-handed balance, all things considered. There's a lot more they could theoretically do. And they shouldn't do nothing if there is indeed an identifiable cluster and it is bouncing all over Gyeonggi.

No one here complained when they targeted a specific religious denomination. That's as protected a group as "foreign". Either you support both or you support neither.

Seriously, it's a written CYA notice and people are reacting to it like its some Redcoat Colonel hammering the Intolerable Acts to a door.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #13030 on: July 01, 2021, 12:31:23 pm »
Well, sometimes you kind of have to profile. If there is indeed a cluster linked to foreign teachers and it might not be contained, then yes, in the interest of public health, you should probably notify them to be careful and perhaps test.

The government of Korea has a duty to protect its residents using the best means at their disposal within the law.

I think a written notice is a pretty even-handed balance, all things considered. There's a lot more they could theoretically do. And they shouldn't do nothing if there is indeed an identifiable cluster and it is bouncing all over Gyeonggi.

No one here complained when they targeted a specific religious denomination. That's as protected a group as "foreign". Either you support both or you support neither.

Seriously, it's a written CYA notice and people are reacting to it like its some Redcoat Colonel hammering the Intolerable Acts to a door.

My co-teacher apologised as she showed me it this morning, of her own accord, and said it wasn't right. So it's not just E2s finding it offensive.  It's offensive.  That being said, I just shook my head, and wandered off without any comment and put it out of my mind until I saw it mentioned here. 

« Reply #13031 on: July 01, 2021, 12:34:44 pm »

So when we're talking the example a few foreigners in using that to generalise and profile the behaviour of every other foreign national in the country it's legitimate profiling in the interests of national security.

When I mention things like the tendency for Korean men to spit profusely or the reckless and irresponsible driving then I'm generalising, being racist and unfair.

The government of Korea has a duty to protect EVERYONE... but I'm glad to know that, in your eyes, a Korean's safety takes priority over my own and the fact that, like all of us here, I'm a taxpayer means nothing.

« Reply #13032 on: July 01, 2021, 01:13:04 pm »
So when we're talking the example a few foreigners in using that to generalise and profile the behaviour of every other foreign national in the country it's legitimate profiling in the interests of national security.
How is a single-page CYA notice "generalizing and profiling"? The Board of Education sent that notice to its employees.

It did not send it to every foreign national, nor is every foreign national under suspicion of this. There are plenty of foreign nationals who are NOT Public School English Teachers.

The government of Korea has a duty to protect EVERYONE... but I'm glad to know that, in your eyes, a Korean's safety takes priority over my own and the fact that, like all of us here, I'm a taxpayer means nothing.
Your hallucination of what I said has been noted.

I said "residents." That includes you and I and all others, Korean and non-Korean alike.

And yes, citizens do get priority over non-citizens. That is one of the choices you make when you choose to move overseas. You can at times be second in line, and if your host country wants to do that, that is their prerogative. There was a transaction made- I give up certain things by moving here in exchange for legal residency. That's life.

Seriously, only an entitled ass would think that 6 months to three years of living as a guest worker in a country entitles them to everything enjoyed by a citizen of that country.

And guess what, by having your field of work subject to track and trace, notifications, and testing regulations, they are treating you like they treat other Koreans. The Korean government, as you yourself have said, have been pretty thorough in their track and trace and their citizens have gone along with it.

Since you're making a big deal of wanting to be the same as a citizen, shouldn't you be the same as a citizen and cooperate with the whole track and trace program that has proven incredibly effective?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 01:15:22 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #13033 on: July 01, 2021, 03:17:17 pm »
Regarding the profiling and mass testing: When big clusters originate from churches do they mass test everyone in the region belonging to that church denomination?

« Reply #13034 on: July 01, 2021, 03:26:47 pm »
Regarding the profiling and mass testing: When big clusters originate from churches do they mass test everyone in the region belonging to that church denomination?
Likely comes down to numbers. How many English teachers are there in Gyeonggi? How many people at say, a big Korean megachurch or in Shincheonji?

There is likely a point at which it is feasible and which it isn't.

It's not like they profiled ALL foreigners, as some have erroneously claimed.

• nightninja
  • Expert Waygook

• April 02, 2018, 03:20:32 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #13035 on: July 01, 2021, 03:33:22 pm »
Likely comes down to numbers. How many English teachers are there in Gyeonggi? How many people at say, a big Korean megachurch or in Shincheonji?

There is likely a point at which it is feasible and which it isn't.

It's not like they profiled ALL foreigners, as some have erroneously claimed.

I live in a building with a shincheonji training center and they have not been allowed back into their space yet by the gov and the landlord

« Reply #13036 on: July 01, 2021, 04:50:43 pm »
I live in a building with a shincheonji training center and they have not been allowed back into their space yet by the gov and the landlord
Clearly this is because the government only singles out foreigners and the Korean public hasn't gone after any other groups that showed a spike in infections.

At some point you have to recognize reality: We are in a group that 1) Is going to be high-profile due to our contact with children and 2) DOES tend to cluster.

We have to balance safety and equality.

« Reply #13037 on: July 02, 2021, 09:58:18 am »
Lee JaeMyeong has announced his presidential bid.

This is the man behind the Great Gyeonggi Wayg Corona Test Caper of recent months.

:(

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• Anyang
« Reply #13038 on: July 02, 2021, 10:44:30 am »
Only had two classes this morning and am facing a long afternoon.  I'll probably plop down on my yoga map and do my "stretching" for an hour but that's probably all I'll be able to do.  My first time co-teacher is young and gets nervous having to discuss basic things with me.  I'm considering popping in next door and telling her that I've fallen head over heels in love with her over the last months and just needed to get that off my chest to see how that shakes up the afternoon.  I am in a committed relationship, so would also have to explain the concept of unrequited love before summing it up with "Just thought you should know, have a great weekend."  Down sides?

« Reply #13039 on: July 02, 2021, 10:45:53 am »
Only had two classes this morning and am facing a long afternoon.  I'll probably plop down on my yoga map and do my "stretching" for an hour but that's probably all I'll be able to do.  My first time co-teacher is young and gets nervous having to discuss basic things with me.  I'm considering popping in next door and telling her that I've fallen head over heels in love with her over the last months and just needed to get that off my chest to see how that shakes up the afternoon.  I am in a committed relationship, so would also have to explain the concept of unrequited love before summing it up with "Just thought you should know, have a great weekend."  Down sides?

Soooo, is there some kind of backstory behind this, or is it because of your long afternoon, lol?