Read 2300619 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #12880 on: March 30, 2021, 07:35:28 am »
Perhaps the moderators are on the cancel culture bandwagon, as well?
 Just gonna pop in and say that this question ("Why have my comments on job postings been deleted?") has been asked several times on various different threads, and has also been answered at length several times. At length! Lengthy length! Mr.DeMartino length!

That made me laugh a bit. good start to the morning. Now I will try to take a nap.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12881 on: March 30, 2021, 11:01:32 am »

Also also: the only time I ever hear or read the word "bandwagon" is when people are falling off of it, soooo...

I think you mean falling off the wagon, rather than bandwagon, as in someone is back to boozing. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 11:33:38 am by OnNut81 »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12882 on: March 30, 2021, 11:33:54 am »
Oh, damn, you're right! Straight to mixing-metaphor-prison I go.
But... having met folk who've played in a band, I can guarantee you that that plenty of people fall off the bandwagon as well, also because of boozing.   :smiley:

« Reply #12883 on: March 30, 2021, 12:57:11 pm »
I'm truly so done with my co-teacher that I've had for the past three years. She always just sits in the back and works on her "paperwork" because she's just "so busy" and never helps.

Sadly, this is what happens time and time again when it comes to English education at public schools in Korea.

For whatever stupid reason, teachers at public schools are changed between schools and school position at the frequency that they change their socks. English is generally the least desirable position because, frankly, Korean teachers and the Korean curriculum is pretty terrible when it comes to teaching it and they know it.

There's always the risk that you end up with a CT who doesn't care about doing his/her job and they'll take you and their responsibilities for a piss. Your CT is doing what she's doing because she knows she can get away with it.

There are multiple ways to deal with this situation and, sadly, none are easy.
Best of luck and sorry for your problems, all I can offer is my understanding, I know exactly what you're going through.

« Reply #12884 on: March 30, 2021, 01:22:10 pm »
oh,do tell..please...

OP will know best.

« Reply #12885 on: March 30, 2021, 01:31:39 pm »
My wife just sent me a photo of some of the books in the English room at her rural middle-school. She's fastidious about cleaning and organising and found some gems gathering dust in the corner before she organised the mini English library.

They have about 12 Tintin books! It makes me incredibly sad that such great books have been sitting there for years and nobody has even bothered to open them. 

« Reply #12886 on: March 30, 2021, 02:26:04 pm »
In order to use the "co-host" feature on Zoom, do you have to have a paid (not free) subscription? Has anyone with a free subscription been able to activate the feature? I have tried everything, and the option simply isn't there. Been driving me mad the last couple of days.

« Reply #12887 on: March 31, 2021, 11:33:32 am »
Sadly, this is what happens time and time again when it comes to English education at public schools in Korea.

For whatever stupid reason, teachers at public schools are changed between schools and school position at the frequency that they change their socks. English is generally the least desirable position because, frankly, Korean teachers and the Korean curriculum is pretty terrible when it comes to teaching it and they know it.

There's always the risk that you end up with a CT who doesn't care about doing his/her job and they'll take you and their responsibilities for a piss. Your CT is doing what she's doing because she knows she can get away with it.

There are multiple ways to deal with this situation and, sadly, none are easy.
Best of luck and sorry for your problems, all I can offer is my understanding, I know exactly what you're going through.

Thanks for responding, Aristocrat, I appreciate it. I ended up talking to my main co-teacher and she did advice that I speak with the one that just sits in the back, we did end up speaking yesterday and it turns out that she thought I hated it if she helped me (can't quite explain that logic) which is why she's always just done her thing. I told her no, that I would really appreciate her help and input with the students, which I think she understands because today's class with her was better. I'm hoping it continues this way but only time will tell.

« Reply #12888 on: March 31, 2021, 12:34:34 pm »
Thanks for responding, Aristocrat, I appreciate it. I ended up talking to my main co-teacher and she did advice that I speak with the one that just sits in the back, we did end up speaking yesterday and it turns out that she thought I hated it if she helped me (can't quite explain that logic) which is why she's always just done her thing. I told her no, that I would really appreciate her help and input with the students, which I think she understands because today's class with her was better. I'm hoping it continues this way but only time will tell.

Yeah, she's completely bullshitting you, but I'm glad that things were better and she realises that you're not going to put up with her laziness.

Just be consistent and keep an eye on her, she might try to sneak off when you're not looking and it's back to normal. If she does that, leave the classroom, go find her and bring her ass back.

« Reply #12889 on: April 01, 2021, 12:07:36 pm »
You stated it...lets hear it.

3kg of candy floss and a  full-body massage. Happy? Don't be a busybody.

« Reply #12890 on: April 01, 2021, 01:17:24 pm »
My wife just sent me a photo of some of the books in the English room at her rural middle-school. She's fastidious about cleaning and organising and found some gems gathering dust in the corner before she organised the mini English library.

They have about 12 Tintin books! It makes me incredibly sad that such great books have been sitting there for years and nobody has even bothered to open them.
Recalling my public school days and the library, the Tintins at ours did alright, not great, though maybe because I put them on the "feature table". They were more of a "smart kid's choice" though. The Slam Dunks, Narutos, Ranma's, One Pieces, and so one got absolutely massacred. Also, any book that had some sort of weird pop out or toy was also dead within a year. Some picture books got moderate wear, usually pretty famous titles or ones with really catchy art or franchise characters like Thomas. But yeah, plenty of classics gathering dust.

Asterix would have trouble though. So much of it is dependent on puns and is completely absurdist that I don't think it would work. Tintin is much more straightforward and should be at least a little more accessible.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #12891 on: April 09, 2021, 06:50:54 pm »
South Korea's population: 51,562,875

Fully vaccinated: 42,647.

That's 0.08%. 

We want to go on vacation! 

Hurry up with the vaccinations! 

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #12892 on: April 09, 2021, 09:28:34 pm »
South Korea's population: 51,562,875

Fully vaccinated: 42,647.

That's 0.08%. 

We want to go on vacation! 

Hurry up with the vaccinations! 

Korea has done an absolute shit job at procuring vaccines.

• DocH
  • Veteran

• March 01, 2021, 11:25:39 am
    • pub
« Reply #12893 on: April 09, 2021, 10:53:56 pm »

....are you surprised?

« Reply #12894 on: April 10, 2021, 08:55:56 am »
....are you surprised?
Are you seriously going with the "Koreans are incompetant" line? After all this time given results?

Besides, if they did have big supplies, you'd be griping about "greedy  racist Koreans hoarding the vaccine while the rest of the world suffers" or some crap.

• T.J.
  • Super Waygook

• June 09, 2011, 11:07:16 am
    • 서울 은평구 연신내
« Reply #12895 on: April 10, 2021, 09:03:23 am »

The bottleneck is with the COVAX distribution not with Korea. Korea's "mistake" was participating in the program, a decision they were praised for when it was made. no good deed shall go unpunished.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southkorea-vaccine-idUSKBN2BO5BZ
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #12896 on: April 10, 2021, 09:12:14 am »
Is there a way to make a vaccine producing factory in Korea? (How about many?) It'd be a way to get jobs for the unemployed, vaccines for Koreans, then foreigners in Korea, then people in other countries.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12897 on: April 10, 2021, 09:34:23 am »
Is there a way to make a vaccine producing factory in Korea? (How about many?) It'd be a way to get jobs for the unemployed, vaccines for Koreans, then foreigners in Korea, then people in other countries.

Yeah, I wondered why they donít just do that?  I canít believe that simple solution hasnít occurred to the government.  Itís such an obvious solution.  Just build several COVID vaccine factories overnight.  Demand the pharmaceutical companies that developed the vaccines just hand you the know how. 

Holy sh*t, this was definitely one of the stupidest things Iíve read on the entire internet in a long time.  Hey LI, do you also think they could just alleviate any economic woes by just printing more money?

• T.J.
  • Super Waygook

• June 09, 2011, 11:07:16 am
    • 서울 은평구 연신내
« Reply #12898 on: April 10, 2021, 09:48:12 am »
Good article here regarding Korea's plan for domestic vaccine production. It is not as easy as flipping a switch.

https://thediplomat.com/2021/02/why-south-korea-still-hasnt-vaccinated-anyone/
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #12899 on: April 12, 2021, 07:58:21 am »
Just build several COVID vaccine factories overnight.  Demand the pharmaceutical companies that developed the vaccines just hand you the know how. 

Holy sh*t, this was definitely one of the stupidest things Iíve read on the entire internet in a long time.

Entire new buildings don't have to be constructed from scratch. A cosmetics making factory (or something else) could be converted.

India is the biggest vaccine dose producer. The coronavirus cure wasn't invented there but they exported huge amounts. (Partnering with others.)