Read 2245590 times

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #12800 on: December 01, 2020, 12:29:22 pm »
Would you get severance?

Yes, but it depends. Did their school pay severance at the end of each contract? if not, they'd get 5 years X months worth of it.
Some schools pay it at the end of each contract (rare), some wait until you leave and pay it in 1 big chunk (common). Once you have worked for more than 1 year you are entitled to it.
Looks like the OP worked for 5 years and 4 months? so they'd get that much worth of severance, so about 5.35 months worth of pay or something (each year is around the 1months pay in severance)

« Reply #12801 on: December 01, 2020, 12:51:32 pm »
Would you get severance?

Yes, you're still entitled to severance as long as you've worked 12 months or longer with your current employer. nightninja says this is her 6th contract, and I assume it's with the same education office, so she's entitled to 6 years of severance minus the calculated difference of however many months she hasn't worked in her final contract plus whatever severance amount she may have already been paid in the past (in case her school(s) paid out each year instead of holding onto it like they're supposed to).

Some employers will try to cheat their employees out of severance that is lawfully owed to them by saying they're only entitled to it if they complete their current contract, but that's only true for the first 12 months with that employer. If you complete 12 months and continue to work after that, you're owed. Attempting to get out of paying lawfully owed severance is more of a problem with hagwons, though, not so much public schools.

Severance is also supposed to be paid out within either 10 or 14 working days after the last day of work (I can't remember which one, but I'm leaning towards 14 -- I think it's within 10 days for wages). After that, a former employee can file a complaint with the MOEL.

@nightninja: Payout of severance is automatic, but payout of pension is not. You have to apply for that before leaving the country, so, as long as you're from Canada or the USA, don't forget to do that as it's a lot more difficult to get done once out of the country.

Also, as far as EPIK goes, the worst that might happen is they'll never hire you again, but I've known people who've had to break their contracts, then reapplied to EPIK later and were still accepted. And even if EPIK decides it won't take you back on again, you can always go the hagwon or direct-hire route. Breaking a contract and leaving the country early doesn't get you railroaded, but, if working on certain visas, it could prevent you from legally working within the country again until your final contract expires (I assume you were working on an F6 visa, though, so that's not something you'll need to worry about). 

Anyway, nightninja, I'm sorry to hear that it had to come to this, but your husband sounds like a big bag of yikes, and I'm happy that you're making the call to finally get away from him. On to better things.

« Reply #12802 on: December 01, 2020, 07:09:18 pm »
nightninja, I hope you're doing alright. 

THEY'RE SNACKS. THEY'RE 60 CENTS A POP AND THEY'RE EVERYWHERE. WHO FUKKING CARES.?

Can I scream at him for a bit?

That would be great lol.....I'm ok.....he threw a spoon at me and  said he wanted to pour boiling water on me after I told him that's it.......he drove me to school and the whole way kept saying I was the devil....so I taught my classes and took early leave, went home packed my stuff and left to a friends....hopefull y he wont change the lock code as I forgot my laptop charger....

I will get severance for all the time I've worked because it's been over 1 year. I couldn't find my contract though so I was worried about the renewal bonus money....I will have worked a little over 4 months in this new contract and I feel terrible for leaving and would rather give 2 months but I'm staying with a friend and I don't want to be in her way too long and I also don't need to stick around and give him time to convince me to stay.....my family also wants me home and I don't want to go back to corona in the USA and harder time finding a job but at the same time I should probably try to get my life back together sooner than later......

I have an F6 visa right now so I don't think I would be banned from entering Korea, but I could be wrong.......any ideas?

I plan to get home then think about a divorce since I can technically get a lawyer from abroad I think.......or come back if I must but for now I just gotta get out. He helped me pay some of my student loans so he'll probably get that in a settlement.....
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 07:18:15 pm by nightninja »

« Reply #12803 on: December 01, 2020, 09:06:41 pm »
I have an F6 visa right now so I don't think I would be banned from entering Korea, but I could be wrong.......any ideas?

Regardless of your visa type, you won't be banned from entering Korea for breaking a contract early, even if you don't give 60 days' notice. If you're being abused by a spouse, you're also not doing anything wrong in leaving urgently and your PoE should understand.

Neither EPIK nor Gangwon PoE are immigration. EPIK put that clause in the contracts to scare people.

« Reply #12804 on: December 02, 2020, 09:45:20 am »
I was standing at my gate 10 minutes ago, and this woman who seems to know me more than I know her, pulled up and told me to put my mask on. I was really pissed off,  but she drove away before I could respond. I didn't know that wearing a mask in your front yard was compulsory. 

« Reply #12805 on: December 02, 2020, 09:58:00 am »
I was standing at my gate 10 minutes ago, and this woman who seems to know me more than I know her, pulled up and told me to put my mask on. I was really pissed off,  but she drove away before I could respond. I didn't know that wearing a mask in your front yard was compulsory.

I had someone do this to me the other day, too. I was standing on a street corner and was fiddling around with my mask string to make it fit around my ears better, and there was literally no one else around.

Funny part was she wasn't wearing a mask herself, haha. I told her that I'd put my mask on when she put hers on first, and she basically said a bunch of crap about this being Korea and that I needed to know my place. I told her that I felt unsafe around her and that she needed to put her mask on so that I won't get infected. She got mad and drove off.

I'm sorry your asshole didn't give you the opportunity to troll her. People who try to police others who are properly socially distanced and who aren't breaking any laws are maddening.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 09:59:59 am by Chinguetti »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #12806 on: December 02, 2020, 10:03:53 am »
I'm sorry your asshole didn't give you the opportunity to troll her. People who try to police others who are properly socially distanced and who aren't breaking any laws are maddening.
Worse are the ones in FB wayg groups who shame you for going to a restaurant or a movie. Like, can these people honestly say that they've never been anywhere except E-Mart and work for the last 8 months? I'm not going to illegal showings of Tenet in the industrial zone. I'm not having buffets in basements at 3AM with a password for door access.

I had a guy shame me for going camping in September. CAMPING. OUTDOORS. WHERE THE SITES ARE 10M APART.
You got the wrong guy, buddy.

I follow the gov guidelines and I do what I can to stay safe and keep others safe. I get that it's a pandemic, but I'm not locking myself in my room for a year, it ain't happening.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 10:05:46 am by CO2 »
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #12807 on: December 02, 2020, 10:14:48 am »
Yeah, I understand their concerns and all, but so many people try to take it to an unreasonable and unnecessary degree. It's one thing to blast someone for not following guidelines at all, it's another to start making up your own and trying to force everyone else in line with them.

Some people like to strong arm others, and the pandemic gives them a convenient excuse, while other people are just out of their ****** minds and try to make that everyone else's problem.

« Reply #12808 on: December 02, 2020, 10:46:47 am »

I'll get her back. She often uses the old study library at the end of my street. I might even mention it to my fiercesome wife. She loves a good verbal with busy-body's.

« Reply #12809 on: December 02, 2020, 02:43:36 pm »
Took 4 sick days this year (not in a row) and now the MOE wants a medical certificate. I love how they ignore the part of the contract that says my job is co-teaching (working with a co-teacher), but absolutely pounce when it comes to this shit.

Perhaps my voice wouldn't have become hoarse so often if I didn't have to teach 6 classes in a row on Tuesdays, without a CT and when I do have a CT, I'm still planning absolutely everything and doing 95% of the talking (unless the students are talking). Perhaps it wouldn't be so hoarse if I didn't have to fight with half the homeroom teachers who love sending their students to my class 5-10min early so there's no break between those 6 lessons. At my other school with no CT, I'm promised that a HR will be present. They are... for the first 30sec of the lesson. I don't need their help, but their presence is sometimes enough that I wont have to resort to disciplining and they can help with the particularly slow students so I can focus on teaching at a level that's more or less at everyone's pace.

I used to come to school when my voice was completely hoarse, but screw that. These days I'd rather take a day off to recover than spent the next 2 weeks in agony, gradually recovering.

I'm not worried in the slightest, worst I can expect is some idiot from the MOE messaging me everyday for the next 2 weeks asking for a medical certificate from a month ago, before it finally sinks into his skull that you can't go to a doctor to ask for a damn medical certificate for that time you were sick last month.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 02:47:42 pm by Aristocrat »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #12810 on: December 02, 2020, 02:51:51 pm »
Took 4 sick days this year (not in a row) and now the MOE wants a medical certificate. I love how they ignore the part of the contract that says my job is co-teaching (working with a co-teacher), but absolutely pounce when it comes to this shit.

Perhaps my voice wouldn't have become hoarse so often if I didn't have to teach 6 classes in a row on Tuesdays, without a CT and when I do have a CT, I'm still planning absolutely everything and doing 95% of the talking (unless the students are talking). Perhaps it wouldn't be so hoarse if I didn't have to fight with half the homeroom teachers who love sending their students to my class 5-10min early so there's no break between those 6 lessons. At my other school with no CT, I'm promised that a HR will be present. They are... for the first 30sec of the lesson. I don't need their help, but their presence is sometimes enough that I wont have to resort to disciplining and they can help with the particularly slow students so I can focus on teaching at a level that's more or less at everyone's pace.

I used to come to school when my voice was completely hoarse, but screw that. These days I'd rather take a day off to recover than spent the next 2 weeks in agony, gradually recovering.

I'm not worried in the slightest, worst I can expect is some idiot from the MOE messaging me everyday for the next 2 weeks asking for a medical certificate from a month ago, before it finally sinks into his skull that you can't go to a doctor to ask for a damn medical certificate for that time you were sick last month.
Why are these things sprung on us well AFTER the fact?

I remember when I was was asked for the material that I had for the city camp (not MY school) from the VPs office a month after the fact.

Like............... . WHAT? How about ask for that before the camp starts?

"I don't have it, we taught in pairs, J made them. I asked him and he recycled all of it. It's gone. Forever. Because it was a specific camp curriculum and it was a month ago."

"Well, we can't release the 500 000W extra pay from city hall without it. It needs to not be looked at ever, but filed away in some drawer in the attic for 7 years before it gets shredded."

I was at the camp. I was at every class. Me and J. The Korean co-t was there. We taught everything. Attendence is 100%. (It's a 5 day/4 night camp in the woods. Fully catered, our own cabins)

I basically made 4 worksheets of nonsense in 20 mins and gave it to the office. They did not give an absolute shit what was on it, but they needed them!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 02:53:42 pm by CO2 »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12811 on: December 02, 2020, 03:35:59 pm »

everything here is what made me quit working at public schools. looking back, i'm not sure how i did it for so long

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12812 on: December 07, 2020, 08:11:28 pm »
on korean singing shows, why do they always do that annoying replay thing mid-song and off-beat? it's incredibly jarring. ruins the flow of the song completely. and they do it every time

« Reply #12813 on: December 07, 2020, 08:42:17 pm »
Have you tried Show Me The Money? Iím surprised how much I enjoy it, even as somebody not particularly into hip hop. Probably the only talent show worth watching aside from 전국노래자랑.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #12814 on: December 07, 2020, 09:12:01 pm »
on korean singing shows, why do they always do that annoying replay thing mid-song and off-beat? it's incredibly jarring. ruins the flow of the song completely. and they do it every time
What dost thou mean?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12815 on: December 08, 2020, 07:21:08 am »
What dost thou mean?
you know when they feel the need to replay something three times, like when a fat man falls over. why do that during a song? it sounds like when you are listening to a scratched cd and it keeps skipping

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #12816 on: December 08, 2020, 07:37:06 am »
you know when they feel the need to replay something three times, like when a fat man falls over. why do that during a song? it sounds like when you are listening to a scratched cd and it keeps skipping

Really??? WHY

« Reply #12817 on: December 08, 2020, 09:08:23 am »

Iím going through this now. Debating quitting in February. The only issue is that we were planning to move to usa in summer so new job would only be 6 months.

The quality of Coteachers here is astoundingly terrible!! Yet the staff and students act like the net isnít even in the school outside of classes.

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
« Reply #12818 on: December 10, 2020, 02:51:34 pm »
Maybe it's because I'm leaving soon (February), but two things in particular are irking me more than ever:

1. It's always worse post-exam period, but it feels like I've been constantly fighting to maintain a respectful and focused class dynamic. It's like the students have absolutely zero conception of what 'Quiet, please' means, but should a co-teacher ever utter 조용히, it's goddamn crickets. It's been five years of the same old nonsense, and I'm tired.

2. Maybe it's better in bigger cities, but in my town (way down south) students simply don't have the ability to engage in even the simplest of banter. Probably my fault for not learning Korean, but I'm tired of my (admittedly lame) jokes being met by blank stares.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely grateful for my time in Korea. It's turned my life around for the better, but it's time to move on. I'll be doing my PGCE next year, followed by an international school gig somewhere (hopefully).

Rant over :angel:

« Reply #12819 on: December 10, 2020, 03:18:03 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely grateful for my time in Korea. It's turned my life around for the better, but it's time to move on. I'll be doing my PGCE next year, followed by an international school gig somewhere (hopefully).

Rant over :angel:

Glad youíre getting out before stuff like this completely consumes you, and it sounds like only better experiences await you in the future!