« Reply #12780 on: November 30, 2020, 02:06:03 pm »
 :sad: sorry kayos..

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #12781 on: November 30, 2020, 02:18:21 pm »
Funny, for me it's 100% the other way around.

Real life, you might get a few people trying to convert you to their church (only speaking from personal experience as it's always been Jehovah's Witnesses etc. never had a Jewish, Hindu or Buddhist try to convert me).

Online, damn! Online is the realm of the, sorry to say, vitriol spewing Atheist (the nice ones you meet in real life).
They'll derail arguments, mock, insult and act like colossal assholes and insist that anyone who doesn't believe what they do is a complete idiot.

Have to agree with that. The vast majority of people don’t push their religion on others, but atheists?  They’re like vegetarians. They will tell you.  And they always make the same tired sarcastic argument to show how rational and objective their views are.  Always something along the lines of “yeah, there is a guy with a beard sitting on a cloud that created the world in seven days.”   They seem to be unaware that for a long time now those stories are considered apocryphal by many in the church.  Faith isn’t just George Michael’s best song.  It’s not something you can argue against. 

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #12782 on: November 30, 2020, 02:24:51 pm »
:sad: sorry kayos..

It's all good, but it makes me moody, due to the lack of sleep.
Doctors aren't even sure what is causing it, as all tests so far (and I've had lots) are showing me as very healthy.
But, whenever I try to sleep, I get my heart issue that just keeps me awake for much longer, and wakes me up really early.
Taking Tylenol is making me fall asleep a bit quicker and helping a bit, but I still wake up early and really tired >.<

« Reply #12783 on: November 30, 2020, 02:41:49 pm »
Atheists and Democrats- Two groups that think because they aren't the other side, they are immune to the impulses of the other side.

"How can I be ignorant and think unscientifically? I'm an atheist and vote Democrat!"

If you believe in science and biology, then you have to essentially accept an "original sin" view of human nature based on evolutionary biology and what our brains are wired to do. The idea that by eliminating organized religion you can eliminate certain human impulses doesn't really have much of a scientific basis.

Incidentally, research has suggested a genetic component to one being conservative or liberal and this likely was something that helped our species survive in its infancy- You needed to have both suspicious people in your tribe as well as people who would reach out. Without one or the other, your tribe is screwed.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #12784 on: November 30, 2020, 02:51:03 pm »
I choose to hear it as a prayer.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #12785 on: November 30, 2020, 02:52:15 pm »
If you believe in science and biology, then you have to essentially accept an "original sin" view of human nature based on evolutionary biology
what

« Reply #12786 on: November 30, 2020, 02:56:12 pm »
what
No original sin as defined in religion, but the idea that essentially within all human beings exist certain impulses due to biology and evolution that will produce negative behaviors, at least negative in a modern industrialized society built around tolerance and such.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #12787 on: November 30, 2020, 05:32:59 pm »
No original sin as defined in religion, but the idea that essentially within all human beings exist certain impulses due to biology and evolution that will produce negative behaviors, at least negative in a modern industrialized society built around tolerance and such.

Interesting perspective.

It is interesting that many of our behaviors in “polite society” are so contrary to our instincts.

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #12788 on: November 30, 2020, 08:09:39 pm »

Then you shouldn't use the phrase "original sin" as it was the CHOICE (or was it?)  of eating the forbidden fruit which gave us knowledge (according to the bible).  This in tern led to the determinism/free will argument (and taint of women) that has been held since the our philosophical brains could handle/grasp it.....and it still permeates.   FYI (look at the Apple logo..a logo with heavy implications IMO)...

Biology is not a choice, so I would choose a different phrase than "original sin", which I consider a philosophical/religious term of phrase.  I do get that you could possibly mean that our reptilian brain seeks out...regardless of the social implications.  BUT, our biology is not inherently sinful.  It only informs our behaviours, which could socially become sinful....so I get that part of what you are saying.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 09:18:56 pm by dippedinblush »

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #12789 on: December 01, 2020, 08:30:26 am »
Online, damn! Online is the realm of the, sorry to say, vitriol spewing Atheist (the nice ones you meet in real life).
They'll derail arguments, mock, insult and act like colossal assholes and insist that anyone who doesn't believe what they do is a complete idiot.

Online atheism devolved into a pseudo-intellectual circlejerk pretty quickly. Its out of vogue now anyways since all the gamergate stuff. I hear paganism is the hot new thing for faux-woke college students

« Reply #12790 on: December 01, 2020, 11:22:33 am »
well guys, my husband got pissed at me this morning for taking 3 choco pies to school to give out as a promised reward for doing something really good......for 3 students......he got pissed because he has to have everything for himself......he has plenty of things to eat as a snack and gets choco pies given to him pretty regularly and if I were to eat them he wouldn't have had a problem and said he doesn't know if he married the devil or his wife........so I am out.....breaking the contract and finally going to leave in January

It seems small but its the last straw....

So for any EPIKers.....any ideas on the real consequences of breaking a contract with less than 2 months notice and less than 6 months worked (Gangwon) ? This is my 6th contract.

« Reply #12791 on: December 01, 2020, 11:23:35 am »
Then you shouldn't use the phrase "original sin" as it was the CHOICE (or was it?)  of eating the forbidden fruit which gave us knowledge (according to the bible).  This in tern led to the determinism/free will argument (and taint of women) that has been held since the our philosophical brains could handle/grasp it.....and it still permeates.   FYI (look at the Apple logo..a logo with heavy implications IMO)...

Biology is not a choice, so I would choose a different phrase than "original sin", which I consider a philosophical/religious term of phrase.  I do get that you could possibly mean that our reptilian brain seeks out...regardless of the social implications.  BUT, our biology is not inherently sinful.  It only informs our behaviours, which could socially become sinful....so I get that part of what you are saying.
Yeah it was a flawed term but I went with it to try and get the idea across and also to thematically link the point- That certain what would be called negative behaviors and tendencies exist in humans due to evolution and doing things like voting Democrat or becoming atheist does not eliminate them.

I'd also suggest, given the track record of various non-religious movements and philosophies that there exists some sort of biological drive in people to create organizations and structures that take on the quality of dogmatic religion.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #12792 on: December 01, 2020, 11:38:13 am »
people are by nature political animals

• D.L.Orean
  • Super Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #12793 on: December 01, 2020, 11:48:18 am »
well guys, my husband got pissed at me this morning for taking 3 choco pies to school to give out as a promised reward for doing something really good......for 3 students......he got pissed because he has to have everything for himself......he has plenty of things to eat as a snack and gets choco pies given to him pretty regularly and if I were to eat them he wouldn't have had a problem and said he doesn't know if he married the devil or his wife........so I am out.....breaking the contract and finally going to leave in January

So for any EPIKers.....any ideas on the real consequences of breaking a contract with less than 2 months notice and less than 6 months worked (Gangwon) ? This is my 6th contract.

You wrote husband. Did you mean 5 year old child?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #12794 on: December 01, 2020, 11:53:24 am »
nightninja, I hope you're doing alright. 

THEY'RE SNACKS. THEY'RE 60 CENTS A POP AND THEY'RE EVERYWHERE. WHO FUKKING CARES.?

Can I scream at him for a bit?
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #12795 on: December 01, 2020, 11:59:48 am »

It doesn't seem small the guy sounds insane. Sorry for the long post here but this is what the EPIK contract says:

Article 9 (Resignation) ① The Employee shall perform the duties set forth under Article 3 hereof during the Term of Employment set forth under Article 5 hereof.
  ② This Contract is binding unless the Employee gives sixty (60) days written notice of termination (stating a planned date of resignation and reason(s) therefore) to the principal of the Employee's main school as well as the Superintendent of the Office of Education.
  ③ Failure of the Employee to give sixty (60) days written notice of termination to the main school  Principal and the Superintendent of the Office of Education shall be reported to the Korean Immigration Service and shall affect the Employee's ability to freely enter the Republic of Korea in the future.
  ④ In the case of the Employee's resignation his/her visa shall be cancelled.

Article 10 (Renewal) ① The Term of Employment stated in Article 5 hereof may be renewed by the mutual written agreement of the Employer and the Employee provided that the renewal Term of Employment shall not exceed one (1) year.
  ② In the case of renewal of this Contract pursuant to the foregoing clause ①, the Employee shall be given five (5) working days paid leave which shall take place during the nearest school vacation of the renewal contract with the condition that the days do not conflict with the school’s schedule.  This one-week leave will be counted as part of the contract term, and, accordingly, salary will be paid as normal for this period. The period of this renewal vacation may be negotiated with the school to be held in the next school vacation which is within six months from the first day of the contract if necessary.
  ③ The Employer shall provide the Employee with a Contract Renewal Allowance of 2,000,000 Korean Won. 1,300,000 Korean Won of this Contract Renewal Allowance will be paid within one month of the beginning of the new Term of Employment with the remaining 700,000 Korean Won to be disbursed after the successful completion of the contract. In the case of Contract Renewal (and the payment of the subsequent Renewal Allowance), the Employee shall not receive an Exit Allowance for the completion of the current Term of Employment nor shall the Employee receive an Entrance Allowance for the renewal Term of Employment.
  ④ In case of the termination of the Renewal Contract within the first six (6) months, regardless of course or ground therefore,  the paid leave specified in the forgoing clause 2 shall be unpaid. In addition, the remaining 700,000 Korean Won of the Contract Renewal Allowance will be forfeited

So basically you won't get some of your money if you leave before 6 months and who cares about the visa unless you plan to come back but they can't sue you or anything

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12796 on: December 01, 2020, 12:10:15 pm »

good for you. your husband sounds horrible

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #12797 on: December 01, 2020, 12:16:04 pm »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, the only likely consequence would be not being able to be rehired for epik in the future. And you may forfeit your exit plane allowance.

« Reply #12798 on: December 01, 2020, 12:16:36 pm »

Sorry, honey. I didn't mean to be so selfish. Here's a big box of choco pies just for you...

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #12799 on: December 01, 2020, 12:20:57 pm »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, the only likely consequence would be not being able to be rehired for epik in the future. And you may forfeit your exit plane allowance.

Would you get severance?