Read 2245567 times

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #12760 on: November 30, 2020, 08:10:57 am »
That's if JC was even real. :O

.Actually there is quite a lot of secular evidence that He did exist, Google is your friend there.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #12761 on: November 30, 2020, 09:01:18 am »
You both have fair points and shortcomings in your arguments.

Confusedsaffa, Isa bin Maryam (Jesus) was a Great Prophet and I have the utmost respect for him. That said, his status has already been decreed by God. Us mortals can't do or say a thing to change the status of any of God's Prophets. There's absolutely no point in defending Christ's honour from mere words.

CO2, You have every right to express your views. That said, there comes a point when it's not about expressing views, but rather taking joy in pushing people's buttons. Confused shouldn't be so sensitive, I agree, but you're not really articulating how being disrespectful to another's Faith is some kind of necessity to your beliefs (unless you're really just trying to be a massive assh*le).
Going off what Confused said, you could be the best Muslim, Christian, Jew, Buddhist or Atheist while respecting the beliefs of others. It's not an issue of Religion, CO2, it's a simple issue of etiquette. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #12762 on: November 30, 2020, 09:10:00 am »
CO2, You have every right to express your views. That said, there comes a point when it's not about expressing views, but rather taking joy in pushing people's buttons.
I'm not saying anything about Jesus Christ, the man.

I'm using it the way people have been using forever. "Holy shit!" "What the hell!" "Jesus Christ!"

If it offends someone, then so be it. I don't care. It's like when someone stubs their toe and they say fukk and instead of asking how their toe is, they say "Language!"

You're religious? Go nuts. Doesn't matter to me (although, I will debate the merits of different religions if asked. Always fun to debate, I'm no stranger to that).

But I'm not here to make sure you're comfortable. Confused came in here knowing that "JC" is an exclamation of surprise/annoyance and became super-pedantic about it. "ACKSHUALLY, HE DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT."

It'd be like me telling someone to "F off" and them replying with the fact that they're chaste and don't do that kind of thing. It's being pedantic.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12763 on: November 30, 2020, 09:22:50 am »
what in christ's name is going on here

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #12764 on: November 30, 2020, 10:04:05 am »
.Actually there is quite a lot of secular evidence that He did exist, Google is your friend there.

I tend to disagree. And googling for evidence says: There is no evidence he actually existed.
Chances are, there was a guy named Jesus who existed in that time period but, can you show me tangible proof that he truly was the son of god, that he actually performed miracles, etc. 'cause ATM, google is proving the opposite of what you are claiming.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #12765 on: November 30, 2020, 10:12:02 am »
I tend to disagree. And googling for evidence says: There is no evidence he actually existed.
Chances are, there was a guy named Jesus who existed in that time period but, can you show me tangible proof that he truly was the son of god, that he actually performed miracles, etc. 'cause ATM, google is proving the opposite of what you are claiming.

Yeah, the fact that there was a Jesus walking around and talking to people would say nothing of his being born of a virgin, or that he healed the sick with his palm, or that he was the son of god. None of that is proven, nor CAN it be proven.

We have records of taxes and what King's names were and their policies in written history and we believe them to be true because they're not incredible claims. If I see tax forms from Babylon and they say "The local tax collector got 5 gold pieces from Mr. X on June 28th," I'm inclined to beleieve it because it's so low stakes. And we STILL collect taxes to this day and write down how much.

With Jesus we're being asked to believe the extraordinary. And none of these events are replicable, nor have they happened since.

I'll grant you that it would possible to track the pregnancy of the woman Mary who's mentioned about three times in the Bible and to show there was no male intervention in her life at all but yet she delivered herself of a healthy baby boy. I can sayŚ I don't say that's impossible. Parthenogenesis is not completely unthinkable. It does not prove that his paternity is divine and it wouldn't prove that any of his moral teachings were thereby correct. Nor, if I was to see him executed one day and see him walking the streets the next, would that show that his father was God or his mother was a virgin or that his teachings were true, especially given the commonplace nature of resurrection at that time and place. After all, Lazarus was raised, never said a word about it. The was raised, didn't say a thing about what she'd been through. And the Gospels tell us that at the time of the crucifixion all the graves in Jerusalem opened and their occupants wandered around the streets to greet people. So it seems resurrection was something of a banality at the time. Not all of those people clearly were divinely conceived. So I'll give you all the miracles and you'll still be left exactly where you are now, holding an empty sack.

Hitchens is a smart, well-spoken man and I agree with him, I don't worship the man.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #12766 on: November 30, 2020, 10:20:34 am »
I'll just point out, that while I am non-religious, I do believe that if the Jesus from the bible was an actual person that was the son of god etc. That he does have my respect. I was raised on that religion but, once I started questioning stuff about the bible, the priests at the church my family went to started getting really angry since I didn't buy into it. I went to a few other churches and got the same deal.
And knowing it probably started off good (teachings about helping others and being kind) has devolved into brain washing and control. Obviously, not all churches and stuff are like that, but most of the ones I have been too, and people I have met from others, have been more closed minded, and hate things they are told to hate because of it <- again, not all are like that, but those kinds have been the majority of my experiences.

I do my best to follow the core principles of what I was taught during my time there, being nice to others and stuff, and I respect people's right to believe whatever as long as it doesn't harm / cause hate towards others. But, organized religion is definitely not for me.

• stoat
  • The Legend

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #12767 on: November 30, 2020, 10:46:45 am »
.   I'll just point out, that while I am non-religious, I do believe that if the Jesus from the bible was an actual person that was the son of god etc. That he does have my respect. 

Yeah it wouldn't be a smart move to diss someone you actually knew was the son of God

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #12768 on: November 30, 2020, 10:50:46 am »
Yeah it wouldn't be a smart move to diss someone you actually knew was the son of God

Thanks, Stoat. hahaha, I thought the same thing.

:blank: "I have incontrovertible proof that I am God."

:laugh: GET OUTTA HERE, YOU PHONEY.

Love you, Kayos, but that sentence is pretty funny.  ;D

« Reply #12769 on: November 30, 2020, 12:07:54 pm »
I'm not saying anything about Jesus Christ, the man.

I'm using it the way people have been using forever. "Holy shit!" "What the hell!" "Jesus Christ!"

It'd be like me telling someone to "F off" and them replying with the fact that they're chaste and don't do that kind of thing. It's being pedantic.

Let's say you're invited to a friend/colleagues wedding at a mosque/church/synagogue. What's stopping you from saying "J F*ing C" around that audience and at that venue?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #12770 on: November 30, 2020, 12:13:32 pm »
Let's say you're invited to a friend/colleagues wedding at a mosque/church/synagogue. What's stopping you from saying "J F*ing C" around that audience and at that venue?

Are you equating waygook.org with a formal occasion?

And yeah, if I was in a church and the bride came out and looked AMAZING, I might say "Jesus Christ, she looks amazing." Not at the top of my lungs, yelling ANYTHING at the top of my lungs at a wedding would be rude.

And if I were at a Muslim celebration, I might say "By Allah, this is a great night." I did that with my friends in Indonesia and they didn't care. They know I'm not Muslim and they know that I'm saying it in a friendly way. I don't revolve my life making sure that all Christians and Muslims don't get upset.

I would not use the f word, just like I didn't earlier in my posts. Again, waygook is not a formal occasion.  We're all bantering back and forth throughout the day, sometimes I see stuff I couldn't care less about and sometimes I comment and sometimes I don't.

Please respect my personal beliefs by not using my holy leader's name in vain (keeping in mind, I didn't even comment ON Jesus, just used it like most people do) doesn't really fly with me, I'm afraid. Look, if it makes someone upset, I don't revel and relish in that fact, but we're all adults and I really don't think this is the end of the world. Jesus is strong enough not to be super concerned with me blurting out his name once in a while, I would hope.

Saffer decided to make this an issue today. He's a big boy and he can handle it. And if he can't, then that is hardly on me.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 12:16:45 pm by CO2 »

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #12771 on: November 30, 2020, 12:24:32 pm »
Thanks, Stoat. hahaha, I thought the same thing.

:blank: "I have incontrovertible proof that I am God."

:laugh: GET OUTTA HERE, YOU PHONEY.

Love you, Kayos, but that sentence is pretty funny.  ;D

I agree :P

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #12772 on: November 30, 2020, 12:31:11 pm »
And what is it about religious people that a lot of them have a need to push their religion onto others?
This is not a jab at anyone on here but, during my lunch break today, I decided to end a 4 year friendship with one of my Korean friends over religion.
When I met her she was non-religious, then 2 years back she decided to join a sect of Christianity, we'd be normal with each other but each time she'd ask me to join her religion, I'd politely decline. However, the last couple of months, it had gotten to the point where ALL she'd want to talk about is her religion, and trying really hard to try recruit me.
During my lunch break, she sent me PAGES of bible verses and quotes AND tried to recruit me again.

And, not too long ago, there was a jehova's witness guy that would travel an hour to my house each Sunday, just cause I opened my door 1 time to him. He'd keep trying to invite himself into my apartment, and kept trying to recruit me, even though I respectfully turned him down each time. >.<

I grew up around religion, I already know enough about it to know that it is not for me, I respect other people's views on it; I feel like they can't respect mine >.<

« Reply #12773 on: November 30, 2020, 01:05:09 pm »
And what is it about religious people that a lot of them have a need to push their religion onto others?

Funny, for me it's 100% the other way around.

Real life, you might get a few people trying to convert you to their church (only speaking from personal experience as it's always been Jehovah's Witnesses etc. never had a Jewish, Hindu or Buddhist try to convert me).

Online, damn! Online is the realm of the, sorry to say, vitriol spewing Atheist (the nice ones you meet in real life).
They'll derail arguments, mock, insult and act like colossal assholes and insist that anyone who doesn't believe what they do is a complete idiot.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #12774 on: November 30, 2020, 01:32:52 pm »
Funny, for me it's 100% the other way around.

Real life, you might get a few people trying to convert you to their church (only speaking from personal experience as it's always been Jehovah's Witnesses etc. never had a Jewish, Hindu or Buddhist try to convert me).

Online, damn! Online is the realm of the, sorry to say, vitriol spewing Atheist (the nice ones you meet in real life).
They'll derail arguments, mock, insult and act like colossal assholes and insist that anyone who doesn't believe what they do is a complete idiot.

For me, it's been mostly just been Jehova's, Cathlotics, and other forms of Christianity that have been doing this. In my home town in NZ, all the Christian groups have missionaries that go around town to try recruit people.
And I agree, I've actually never seen like a Jewish, Hindu, or Buddhist try to recruit someone.
And I agree with the online stuff too. I try not to act like that myself online, I say the same thing online as I would say in person: it's just not for me, and respect your choice. Though, I can get this way in a spirited debate about video games that I love/hate. D: Though, I try not to get to that point haha.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #12775 on: November 30, 2020, 01:41:07 pm »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #12776 on: November 30, 2020, 01:41:55 pm »
누구 the ****?
I think they meant Cat Athletics.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #12777 on: November 30, 2020, 01:44:52 pm »

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #12778 on: November 30, 2020, 01:48:04 pm »
ohhhhhhhh yeah cat athletics sounds more like it compared to what i was thinking. anyway, i'm gonna start telling people "im not religious but i was raised cathlotic"

Obviously a typo.
yeah i know but its one hell of a typo you got there m8

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #12779 on: November 30, 2020, 01:54:19 pm »
ohhhhhhhh yeah cat athletics sounds more like it compared to what i was thinking. anyway, i'm gonna start telling people "im not religious but i was raised cathlotic"
yeah i know but its one hell of a typo you got there m8

Considering I have heart problems that are causing me to not sleep much currently, I'm surprised it's not worse.