Read 3275575 times

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #12760 on: December 07, 2020, 08:11:28 pm »
on korean singing shows, why do they always do that annoying replay thing mid-song and off-beat? it's incredibly jarring. ruins the flow of the song completely. and they do it every time

« Reply #12761 on: December 07, 2020, 08:42:17 pm »
Have you tried Show Me The Money? Iím surprised how much I enjoy it, even as somebody not particularly into hip hop. Probably the only talent show worth watching aside from 전국노래자랑.

« Reply #12762 on: December 07, 2020, 09:12:01 pm »
on korean singing shows, why do they always do that annoying replay thing mid-song and off-beat? it's incredibly jarring. ruins the flow of the song completely. and they do it every time
What dost thou mean?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12763 on: December 08, 2020, 07:21:08 am »
What dost thou mean?
you know when they feel the need to replay something three times, like when a fat man falls over. why do that during a song? it sounds like when you are listening to a scratched cd and it keeps skipping

« Reply #12764 on: December 08, 2020, 07:37:06 am »
you know when they feel the need to replay something three times, like when a fat man falls over. why do that during a song? it sounds like when you are listening to a scratched cd and it keeps skipping

Really??? WHY

« Reply #12765 on: December 08, 2020, 09:08:23 am »
Took 4 sick days this year (not in a row) and now the MOE wants a medical certificate. I love how they ignore the part of the contract that says my job is co-teaching (working with a co-teacher), but absolutely pounce when it comes to this shit.

Perhaps my voice wouldn't have become hoarse so often if I didn't have to teach 6 classes in a row on Tuesdays, without a CT and when I do have a CT, I'm still planning absolutely everything and doing 95% of the talking (unless the students are talking). Perhaps it wouldn't be so hoarse if I didn't have to fight with half the homeroom teachers who love sending their students to my class 5-10min early so there's no break between those 6 lessons. At my other school with no CT, I'm promised that a HR will be present. They are... for the first 30sec of the lesson. I don't need their help, but their presence is sometimes enough that I wont have to resort to disciplining and they can help with the particularly slow students so I can focus on teaching at a level that's more or less at everyone's pace.

I used to come to school when my voice was completely hoarse, but screw that. These days I'd rather take a day off to recover than spent the next 2 weeks in agony, gradually recovering.

I'm not worried in the slightest, worst I can expect is some idiot from the MOE messaging me everyday for the next 2 weeks asking for a medical certificate from a month ago, before it finally sinks into his skull that you can't go to a doctor to ask for a damn medical certificate for that time you were sick last month.

Iím going through this now. Debating quitting in February. The only issue is that we were planning to move to usa in summer so new job would only be 6 months.

The quality of Coteachers here is astoundingly terrible!! Yet the staff and students act like the net isnít even in the school outside of classes.

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
« Reply #12766 on: December 10, 2020, 02:51:34 pm »
Maybe it's because I'm leaving soon (February), but two things in particular are irking me more than ever:

1. It's always worse post-exam period, but it feels like I've been constantly fighting to maintain a respectful and focused class dynamic. It's like the students have absolutely zero conception of what 'Quiet, please' means, but should a co-teacher ever utter 조용히, it's goddamn crickets. It's been five years of the same old nonsense, and I'm tired.

2. Maybe it's better in bigger cities, but in my town (way down south) students simply don't have the ability to engage in even the simplest of banter. Probably my fault for not learning Korean, but I'm tired of my (admittedly lame) jokes being met by blank stares.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely grateful for my time in Korea. It's turned my life around for the better, but it's time to move on. I'll be doing my PGCE next year, followed by an international school gig somewhere (hopefully).

Rant over :angel:

« Reply #12767 on: December 10, 2020, 03:18:03 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely grateful for my time in Korea. It's turned my life around for the better, but it's time to move on. I'll be doing my PGCE next year, followed by an international school gig somewhere (hopefully).

Glad youíre getting out before stuff like this completely consumes you, and it sounds like only better experiences await you in the future!

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #12768 on: December 10, 2020, 03:27:05 pm »
Thank you, Sir Hobak.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12769 on: December 10, 2020, 03:30:49 pm »
Maybe it's because I'm leaving soon (February), but two things in particular are irking me more than ever:

1. It's always worse post-exam period, but it feels like I've been constantly fighting to maintain a respectful and focused class dynamic. It's like the students have absolutely zero conception of what 'Quiet, please' means, but should a co-teacher ever utter 조용히, it's goddamn crickets. It's been five years of the same old nonsense, and I'm tired.

2. Maybe it's better in bigger cities, but in my town (way down south) students simply don't have the ability to engage in even the simplest of banter. Probably my fault for not learning Korean, but I'm tired of my (admittedly lame) jokes being met by blank stares.

i totally get this. i was on the verge of never wanting to teach kids again until i decided to give it one last go, and got my current job, which i now love. luckily the kids are good at english and it's banter central. what age you looking to teach after your PGCE?

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #12770 on: December 11, 2020, 08:02:11 am »
decided to give it one last go, and got my current job, which i now love
Sounded like they were working you like a dog a few months back :laugh: But yeah, I'd happily take a heavier workload if it meant I could actually connect with my students.

I'll be qualified to teach high school literature, so hopefully I'll get in somewhere in the world. My best year in Korea was teaching high schoolers from April 2017 - April 2018.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12771 on: December 11, 2020, 09:07:44 am »
Sounded like they were working you like a dog a few months back :laugh: But yeah, I'd happily take a heavier workload if it meant I could actually connect with my students.

I'll be qualified to teach high school literature, so hopefully I'll get in somewhere in the world. My best year in Korea was teaching high schoolers from April 2017 - April 2018.

that was probably when they insisted on us making youtube-style videos. glad they knocked that on the head quickly.

i taught high school in my first year and it was really fun. i was shite at my job though (and never got feedback), but it was way more chill than elementary school.

high school lit sounds fun actually. the students will probably be pretty good if it's an international school too!

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12772 on: December 14, 2020, 12:53:29 pm »
Can't blame anyone at all, but f*ck, all set up for camp to start this Wednesday.  Our school decided to squeeze in camp in person while we could so breaking it up over the afternoons for the next few weeks.  Now, the kids aren't coming back in so I can't even give them any materials but they still want to do a zoom camp starting this week.  The kids will have no materials whatsoever.  I mean, just cancel the effing camp already. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12773 on: December 14, 2020, 01:30:58 pm »
Can't blame anyone at all, but f*ck, all set up for camp to start this Wednesday.  Our school decided to squeeze in camp in person while we could so breaking it up over the afternoons for the next few weeks.  Now, the kids aren't coming back in so I can't even give them any materials but they still want to do a zoom camp starting this week.  The kids will have no materials whatsoever.  I mean, just cancel the effing camp already. 
camp is treated simultaneously like the most important event in the school year and the least important event in the school year. it's weird and the thing i hated most while teaching at public school

« Reply #12774 on: December 14, 2020, 01:35:34 pm »
camp is treated simultaneously like the most important event in the school year and the least important event in the school year.
Perfectly spot on explanation. Truly.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12775 on: December 14, 2020, 07:21:23 pm »
a while ago on here i was complaining about someone stubbing their cigarette out in the food bowl i leave for the street cats

well, luckily that only happened once, and tonight i noticed a companion food bowl someone else had left out, full of wet food and even some fish in top. good!

i hope those poor little guys will be okay in this cold weather :(

« Reply #12776 on: December 14, 2020, 08:30:27 pm »
a while ago on here i was complaining about someone stubbing their cigarette out in the food bowl i leave for the street cats

well, luckily that only happened once, and tonight i noticed a companion food bowl someone else had left out, full of wet food and even some fish in top. good!

Glad to hear. Cats are cunning and resourceful little creatures. I bought a sturdy little little cardboard cat shelter for a stray that hangs out around my apartment. It's designed for strays and even has some writing on the side, in Korean, that harming a stray cat bears a hefty fan. I'll see if I can find the link tomorrow.

« Reply #12777 on: December 14, 2020, 09:11:29 pm »
harming a stray cat bears a hefty fan.

Death penalty?? Seems a bit steep.....

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #12778 on: December 15, 2020, 12:33:25 am »
 tonight i noticed a companion food bowl someone else had left out, full of wet food and even some fish in top. good!

Every Christmas since 2015 (and a few times less frequently before that) i have gone out at Christmas time ( Eve, Day or whenever convenient ) at 2-3 a.m. in the middle of the night to crack open and dump 10+ (the most was 28 - 2for1sale) TUNA cans!

I have given no less than 10-12 cans to a certain cat near a 24-hour 7-Eleven (only a few stay open always in this town these days) for THREE YEARS. That cat... that cat... that cat... i think it was the imprint on the pavement i passed two weeks ago just a half a block down from where he roamed as a kitten three years ago. I have had at least three sucky mornings thinking about it. If i am wrong and see the cat ever again i'll cry and do everything in my power to rescue it from the streets.

Endnote: i bought a cat tower for my two 6-year-old sibling  "Persians"(i think them Angora, but that's another story). I am kerping it in my classroom until the holidays. It's a discussion piece. Students ask questions about it and then them. Then i show smartphone pics. It covers the first 5 or so minutes of class, especially with middle schoolers.
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12779 on: December 15, 2020, 07:11:00 am »
Glad to hear. Cats are cunning and resourceful little creatures. I bought a sturdy little little cardboard cat shelter for a stray that hangs out around my apartment. It's designed for strays and even has some writing on the side, in Korean, that harming a stray cat bears a hefty fan. I'll see if I can find the link tomorrow.
i really wanted to make a cardboard shelter for them, but i just KNOW someone in the building would complain. i might do it anyway

vanislander: this makes me really sad just thinking about it :( if you see that cat again, let me know please :(