Read 2245591 times

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #12700 on: November 12, 2020, 12:45:18 pm »
Yeah, personally I've always been a small town guy myself... There are definitely some benefits to city life (especially for people who are big into nightlife and stuff like that) but frankly I'd rather live out in the sticks and maybe take a weekend trip to Seoul every once in a while.
Indeed.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #12701 on: November 12, 2020, 12:50:23 pm »
Seoul and Busan justify the annoyances of urban life. Smaller Korean cities are (generally) interchangeable, lacking in interesting culture, food, architecture, social opportunities, etc. They do, however, provide plenty of air pollution, outrageous driving, rude and pushy citizens, crowded transit and littered streets. Never again for me.
By smaller cities if you mean in Gyeonggi province around Seoul, then yeah, I agree. Urban sprawl and satellite communities suuuck!

But there are unique nice benefits to smaller cities like Chuncheon, Pohang, Yeosu, Jeju City, Jeonju.... to name five cities i've visited multiple times and would GLADLY work in!

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12702 on: November 12, 2020, 01:25:38 pm »
I went to Anyang once and thought it the definition of urban hell.

All the traffic and distance of a big city and none of the benefits that justify tolerating uber-urban life.

My blind spots: I somehow have never been to Ulsan or downtown Incheon (just the airport). They are on my bucket list, along with Cheongju and Naju.

For me, I need a specific reason to go to Seoul.  Haircut or some food.  It's got some interesting areas for sure (north of the Han) but there's not enough of a draw that keeps me going back.  It's busy enough down in the Anyang et al region. 

If you didn't like Anyang I don't think downtown Incheon would be of much interest.  If downtown were to be considered the built up area around Incheon bus terminal and going towards either the baseball stadium or City Hall.  Exact kind of area you can find throughout Korea.  However, going out to Incheon station is pretty cool.  You can visit the tacky Wolmido boardwalk area which I think is Korea's answer to  Coney Island or the Jersey boardwalks.  Then going past the largely uninteresting Chinatown you come to a cool area that looks like nowhere else I've seen in this country.  You can see these lovely old buildings from the colonial period like the First Bank of Japan and first post office or something.  in the same area there are these older two storey buildings that are on a closed pedestrian street and are used as galleries.  It was all free and I wandered into one place that was showing nothing but North Korean propaganda materials and another that was some amateur photographer and his photos from B.C. and Alberta.  Keep walking and you feel like you've come into the downtown of a mid-sized Korean city.  It's busy and must cater to sailors with the its shopping and nightlife spots.  Finally, there is an area that has been made up like something from a children's Christmas movie.  It's just part of the city but it has a year round winter motif going.  The rest of Incheon doesn't stand out, unless you're in Songdo which I have mixed feelings about. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #12703 on: November 12, 2020, 01:33:50 pm »
you come to a cool area that looks like nowhere else I've seen in this country.  You can see these lovely old buildings from the colonial period like the First Bank of Japan and first post office or something. 

I stumbled across this and I couldn't believe what was happening. So cool there.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #12704 on: November 12, 2020, 01:59:10 pm »
... You can visit the tacky Wolmido boardwalk area which I think is Korea's answer to  Coney Island or the Jersey boardwalks.  Then going past the largely uninteresting Chinatown you come to a cool area that looks like nowhere else I've seen in this country.  You can see these lovely old buildings from the colonial period like the First Bank of Japan and first post office or something.  in the same area there are these older two storey buildings that are on a closed pedestrian street and are used as galleries.  It was all free and I wandered into one place that was showing nothing but North Korean propaganda materials and another that was some amateur photographer and his photos from B.C. and Alberta.  Keep walking and you feel like you've come into the downtown of a mid-sized Korean city.  It's busy and must cater to sailors with the its shopping and nightlife spots.  Finally, there is an area that has been made up like something from a children's Christmas movie.  It's just part of the city but it has a year round winter motif going.
Thanks for that.

• Renma
  • Adventurer

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #12705 on: November 12, 2020, 07:38:14 pm »
Though, I'm hoping I'll have it in my hands before January. I want to get Bugsnax for free from the ps+ haha.

In case you didn't know, you can add free ps+ games to your account for all the Sony consoles remotely when you log in through your browser. I tested it just now and was able to add bugsnax to my library for when I get a PS5.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #12706 on: November 16, 2020, 08:31:37 pm »
I tried that "Twix Top" and it is not good.

I love Twix, though haven't bought it in years. I really liked the taste of chocolate and texture of the oozing caramel against the crunchy part.

This Twix Top lacks much chocolate taste, lacks caramel oozing texture and leaves my mouth dry like after an arrowroot biscuit.

I won't be getting that again. I like to try new things. I remember when Twix debuted in my hometown in the 1980's, the company sending a free sample in the mail (my neighbor was an old woman who didn't consume dairy so i got her sample as well).

I also recall getting a free sample in the mail of a new candy called Skittles. Hated it. Bought it twice since, forgeting how much i didn't like it.

These days i eat less sweet dark chocolate, usually Swiss (or French, Italian), one bar a month. 80+% cocoa. Once a year i get those Belgian shells because they are so creamy, though borderline sickly sweet. The blue box brand however tastes like wax. Ugh.

Rant over.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #12707 on: November 17, 2020, 07:45:22 am »
Korean drivers. Lot of wannabe Lewis Hamiltons  on the road this morning. Pulling out behind me whilst Iíve already signaled to overtake and changing lanes. Go f@ck yourselves!

« Reply #12708 on: November 17, 2020, 08:04:26 am »
Korean drivers. Lot of wannabe Lewis Hamiltons  on the road this morning. Pulling out behind me whilst Iíve already signaled to overtake and changing lanes. Go f@ck yourselves!

Turn signals are like yellow lights ó an indicator to speed up!

« Reply #12709 on: November 17, 2020, 08:11:09 am »
I tried that "Twix Top" and it is not good.

I agree. A few people told me it was way better than ordinary Twix, so I tried it, and it was like eating sweet cardboard. Sure, it's not as sweet as regular Twix, but that doesn't suddenly make it better.

Cookie should have been more buttery, chocolate should have been dark, caramel should have been caramel and not glue. THEN it could have been good.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 08:30:09 am by Chinguetti »

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #12710 on: November 17, 2020, 08:29:01 am »
Yeah the Twix Top is edible at best. Definitely not something I'll be picking up again.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #12711 on: November 18, 2020, 03:44:31 am »
So, today my 12-year-old kid learned that a cell phone is not a suitable pry-bar for opening a stuck patio door.

« Reply #12712 on: November 18, 2020, 04:07:30 am »
So, today my 12-year-old kid learned that a cell phone is not a suitable pry-bar for opening a stuck patio door.

A valuable lesson!

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #12713 on: November 18, 2020, 04:42:52 am »
A valuable lesson!
You spelled ďexpensiveĒ wrong.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #12714 on: November 18, 2020, 07:49:42 am »
holy shit am i in don hobak's signature? and im in there with KYNDO? that's dope

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #12715 on: November 18, 2020, 07:50:59 am »
congrats, you've done better!

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12716 on: November 18, 2020, 07:57:30 am »
holy shit am i in don hobak's signature? and im in there with KYNDO? that's dope
Now imagine how I feel!  ;D

« Reply #12717 on: November 18, 2020, 08:57:39 am »
congrats, you've done better!

You could have made the cut too had you just been a little more encouraging to our pal Martin.

It wasnít meant to be permanent but now that youíve drawn attention to it Iíll look like a jerk if I remove it.  >:( But the fact that you posted your comment in the Venting thread makes me dubious of your commentís sincerity  :sad: That and youíre a little too excited to join the likes of Kyndo  :lipsrsealed:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 09:10:57 am by Don Hobak »

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #12718 on: November 18, 2020, 09:04:42 am »
in my excitement, i ignored the spirit of the thread (apologies kyndo)

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12719 on: November 20, 2020, 04:12:59 pm »
i've got this kid in my after-school class with literally 0 redeeming qualities. he honestly ruins every class, and has done for months.

today he was already pissing me off by interrupting me, then he started rubbing hand sanitiser on these cardboard dividers we have between the desks. then, about a minute after i told him off, he looked me straight in the eye, and threw some trash over his shoulder onto the floor

i've never gone so apeshit at a kid before. i'm honestly done with him. the manager won't kick him out the class, so i think i'm going to move his desk facing the corner of the room and he can sit there in silence, facing the wall, for the next 3 months (or until he quits). **** it
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 04:15:21 pm by oglop »