Read 2245568 times

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #12660 on: November 05, 2020, 10:07:30 am »
You are absolutely right!  I'm letting it get to me when I should be mocking it.  That is some great advice and reading it actually makes me feel a little empowered to view her as a potential source of entertainment.  :evil:

It is true that if I change my perception of these infuriating events, I won't feel so "hurt" and most of all angry and helpless if that makes sense. 

It's just that and her nonsense and attitude has worn me down over time.  Hearing that I need to try harder to understand Korea and Koreans gets under my skin....also the whole "saving face"  bs.  Some people SHOULD and DESERVE to lose face.  Not everything can be rainbows and puppies all the time......some people should be dragged!

Anyhow...Thanks Confused and Aristocrat.   ;D Your advice is sound, and it makes a whole helluvalot more sense than the way I've been handling it, which isn't working for me.   

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12661 on: November 05, 2020, 11:20:12 am »
You are absolutely right!  I'm letting it get to me when I should be mocking it.  That is some great advice and reading it actually makes me feel a little empowered to view her as a potential source of entertainment.  :evil:

It is true that if I change my perception of these infuriating events, I won't feel so "hurt" and most of all angry and helpless if that makes sense. 

It's just that and her nonsense and attitude has worn me down over time.  Hearing that I need to try harder to understand Korea and Koreans gets under my skin....also the whole "saving face"  bs.  Some people SHOULD and DESERVE to lose face.  Not everything can be rainbows and puppies all the time......some people should be dragged!

Anyhow...Thanks Confused and Aristocrat.   ;D Your advice is sound, and it makes a whole helluvalot more sense than the way I've been handling it, which isn't working for me.   

I deal with most of my life's problems by making fun of it, so obviously I agree that it's the way to go, *BUT*...
   ... make sure you mock it gently. The last thing you want to do is antagonize your coworkers further, as they hold a lot of sway over your professional life at the moment. Also, other people will quickly figure out who is the victim in a long running dispute, and if you're regularly making whatshername the butt of your jokes (or whatever), they'll pick up on that. Mock quietly!

Also, it's amazing how satisfying the moral high-ground feels. Unless you're a well practised hypocrite like myself and know how to properly nurture cognitive dissonance, cutting somebody down and giving them what-for and *also* feeling like a martyr doesn't really work.  :smiley:

« Reply #12662 on: November 05, 2020, 04:26:54 pm »
I love how we all come together to agree that someone is just ****** nuts, lmao.

Sorry that you have to deal with someone like that, dippedinblush, but yeah, there's not a lot you can do with someone like that. She's clearly got some serious psychological issues, and she's trying to use nationalism to deflect blame and avoid accountability. She's not going to be reasoned with, at least not by you.

I'm with the others, just ignore her to the best of your ability, and, I'm specifically with Kyndo on this, be subtle with your fun or else it can really backfire on you. Doesn't matter if she's got a reputation or whatever, people have a nasty habit of herding around "their own" no matter how wrong he or she is, so you don't need to give them any reasons to do so should things escalate.

I'd start recording your interactions with her, though, just in case. Always watch your own back, even when you think others are helping you.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12663 on: November 06, 2020, 11:29:24 am »
I'm not really sure whether to put this in the Rant or the Rave thread, but...

In my Friday school, I have 2 grade 6 classes that are fairly small (15 students each). They're not especially high level English speakers, but they're both examples of those rare classes where nearly all the students are engaged, feel free to experiment linguistically, and have a very positive and pleasant group dynamic.

So, I like to do warm-ups before the lesson, and one that I enjoys finding  photoshopped images of 2 animals mashed together in a hybrid. I get the students to tell me what the two animals are, and then to invent interesting names for the hybrid (ie, caterpillar / chicken = chatterpillar). All the elementary kids love it, and it gets the English creative juices flowing.
   I mixed it up a bit today, and decided that I would get *real* animal hybrids rather than photoshopped ones. I started with the standard Ligers and tigons, went on to the less standard zonkeys and camas, and finally ended it with my personal favourite, the Leaf-sheep.

The leaf-sheep is a sea-slug that eats algae, but also manages to incorporate the chloroplasts of its food into its own body tissues so that it can supplement its diet with photosynthesis (and help it literally glow in the dark). Over the eons, it's also managed to incorporate some algae DNA into its own.

Anyway, the kiddos were absolutely fascinated by this, and had me go through a series of google searches for pictures of snails --> slugs --> sea slugs --> different algae --> different types of leaf-sheep.
   I was then coerced to give a 10 minute long impromptu lecture on exactly how  the process of hybridizing algae and sea-slugs would play out, and why a sea-slug would want to photosynthesize. All with me sweating about how this stuff can be explained using words containing fewer than 6 letters...
   So basically English class turned into science class. Fortunately the chapter I was supposed to teach was all about adjectives, and I managed to squeeze a bit of that into our discussion...

Oh, and here's the beastie responsible for it all:

« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 11:32:11 am by Kyndo »

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12664 on: November 06, 2020, 11:53:17 am »

In my Friday school, I have 2 grade 6 classes that are fairly small (15 students each). They're not especially high level English speakers, but they're both examples of those rare classes where nearly all the students are engaged, feel free to experiment linguistically, and have a very positive and pleasant group dynamic.

So, I like to do warm-ups before the lesson, and one that I enjoys finding  photoshopped images of 2 animals mashed together in a hybrid. I get the students to tell me what the two animals are, and then to invent interesting names for the hybrid (ie, caterpillar / chicken = chatterpillar). All the elementary kids love it, and it gets the English creative juices flowing.
   I mixed it up a bit today, and decided that I would get *real* animal hybrids rather than photoshopped ones. I started with the standard Ligers and tigons, went on to the less standard zonkeys and camas, and finally ended it with my personal favourite, the Leaf-sheep.

The leaf-sheep is a sea-slug that eats algae, but also manages to incorporate the chloroplasts of its food into its own body tissues so that it can supplement its diet with photosynthesis (and help it literally glow in the dark). Over the eons, it's also managed to incorporate some algae DNA into its own.

Anyway, the kiddos were absolutely fascinated by this, and had me go through a series of google searches for pictures of snails --> slugs --> sea slugs --> different algae --> different types of leaf-sheep.
   I was then coerced to give a 10 minute long impromptu lecture on exactly how  the process of hybridizing algae and sea-slugs would play out, and why a sea-slug would want to photosynthesize. All with me sweating about how this stuff can be explained using words containing fewer than 6 letters...
   So basically English class turned into science class. Fortunately the chapter I was supposed to teach was all about adjectives, and I managed to squeeze a bit of that into our discussion...

Oh, and here's the beastie responsible for it all:

That's all very interesting, however you're not allowed to be teaching science.  I'm reporting you for the substantial reward. 

« Reply #12665 on: November 06, 2020, 12:00:52 pm »

Those impromptu lessons are some of my favourites that I do with my smaller and more enthusiastic 6th grade classes. At one of my schools, I don't have a CT, but the HR teacher is completely on point when it comes to educating the students. She really cares about teaching them about different cultures.

At the beginning of class, one of the students laughed at a picture of a black person. Instead of getting angry, it became an impromptu lesson on the racial history in South Africa and the USA and why race is such a sensitive subject where we're from.

I went into segregation (showed them some famous photographs, including a beach sign which said "Whites only, dogs must be on a leash"), I spoke about the Group Areas Act (non-whites where evicted from their homes and placed in the ghettos) and the Bantu Education Act (Afrikaans as the main language medium in schools) and the Sharpeville Massacre.

The students were absolutely fascinated, horrified and particularly shocked when they asked if, being fair-skinned, Koreans would be classified as white and I said, no, you'd have to be white of European descent. They didn't seem to understand how something so trivial as skin colour could have such ramifications.

It wasn't my intention and I'm a bit on the fence about this debate, but it was a thing of beauty to see a student's mind go into action as she made the "aha" connection by asking if this was the reason why foreigners got so upset about the Korean blackface controversy.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12666 on: November 06, 2020, 12:05:48 pm »
That's all very interesting, however you're not allowed to be teaching science.  I'm reporting you for the substantial reward. 
We had a conversation in English about science!
And I promise I was fulfilling my end of the conversation totally as a teacher's assistant!

...also, if you get me deported, who's gonna delete all your horrendously embarrassing gaffes here on Waygook before the rest of us see them? :shocked: :lipsrsealed:
 Do you honestly want them to know what you're *really* like? :angel:  :evil:

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #12667 on: November 06, 2020, 12:16:14 pm »
We had a conversation in English about science!
And I promise I was fulfilling my end of the conversation totally as a teacher's assistant!

...also, if you get me deported, who's gonna delete all your horrendously embarrassing gaffes here on Waygook before the rest of us see them? :shocked: :lipsrsealed:
 Do you honestly want them to know what you're *really* like? :angel:  :evil:

Good point.  I should really think through some of my early morning posts.  Thank God you're up to moderate at 5am when I start posting after my morning calisthenics and hallway wind sprints. 

« Reply #12668 on: November 06, 2020, 03:17:31 pm »
Not the first time that some f*cking asshole, in the middle of the city, decides to burn their rubbish/old cabbage that they've been growing on whatever little public patch they've claimed. Everyone who left a window open, in a 2km radius, is going to come home to an apartment filled with smoke.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12669 on: November 06, 2020, 03:53:49 pm »
Not the first time that some f*cking asshole, in the middle of the city, decides to burn their rubbish/old cabbage that they've been growing on whatever little public patch they've claimed. Everyone who left a window open, in a 2km radius, is going to come home to an apartment filled with smoke.
yes but he is more important than everyone else.
Those impromptu lessons are some of my favourites that I do with my smaller and more enthusiastic 6th grade classes. At one of my schools, I don't have a CT, but the HR teacher is completely on point when it comes to educating the students. She really cares about teaching them about different cultures.

At the beginning of class, one of the students laughed at a picture of a black person. Instead of getting angry, it became an impromptu lesson on the racial history in South Africa and the USA and why race is such a sensitive subject where we're from.

I went into segregation (showed them some famous photographs, including a beach sign which said "Whites only, dogs must be on a leash"), I spoke about the Group Areas Act (non-whites where evicted from their homes and placed in the ghettos) and the Bantu Education Act (Afrikaans as the main language medium in schools) and the Sharpeville Massacre.

The students were absolutely fascinated, horrified and particularly shocked when they asked if, being fair-skinned, Koreans would be classified as white and I said, no, you'd have to be white of European descent. They didn't seem to understand how something so trivial as skin colour could have such ramifications.

It wasn't my intention and I'm a bit on the fence about this debate, but it was a thing of beauty to see a student's mind go into action as she made the "aha" connection by asking if this was the reason why foreigners got so upset about the Korean blackface controversy.
nice one

« Reply #12670 on: November 06, 2020, 04:53:58 pm »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozawa_v._United_States

Guy argued he should be considered “white” under the law because his skin was in fact fairer than most caucasians. He lost.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #12671 on: November 11, 2020, 02:15:20 pm »
Why do people go into city FB groups and promote their completely unrelated stuff?

"Hey, people in Chuncheon! I'm having an exhibition in Apgujeong next weekend!"

I mean, I know why, they want to be seen by many eyes, but STOP.

I run the Anyang Meet and Eat group and a guy shared an event in MASAN that was in 3 days. Like, go away.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #12672 on: November 11, 2020, 02:23:50 pm »
Why do people go into city FB groups and promote their completely unrelated stuff?

"Hey, people in Chuncheon! I'm having an exhibition in Apgujeong next weekend!"

I mean, I know why, they want to be seen by many eyes, but STOP.

I run the Anyang Meet and Eat group and a guy shared an event in MASAN that was in 3 days. Like, go away.

I like the way that rant was actually a means of promoting the Anyang Meet and Eats group.  Clever. 

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #12673 on: November 11, 2020, 02:27:36 pm »
can i come?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #12674 on: November 11, 2020, 02:32:01 pm »
I like the way that rant was actually a means of promoting the Anyang Meet and Eats group.  Clever. 

It really wasn't, hahaha I just like when a story has detail. I hate vagueries "A guy put something unrelated in a group. How annoying." There's no colour.

Group is pretty quiet anyways this school year. :(

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #12675 on: November 12, 2020, 08:08:33 am »
"Oh, you live in a city of 600 000 people with the third highest pop density in the country. That's rural."

- a retard in a group chat, yesterday

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Busan
    more
« Reply #12676 on: November 12, 2020, 09:12:10 am »
sounds like something a salty, rural-dweller would say

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #12677 on: November 12, 2020, 09:19:43 am »
sounds like something a salty, rural-dweller would say

I've lived in Seoul. For two years. But the idea that Suwon or Anyang is "rural" is the dumbest thing ever. The fact that it's not Seoul doesn't make it rural.

ru·ral
/ˈro͝orəl/
adjective
in, relating to, or characteristic of the countryside rather than the town.
"remote rural areas"

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Busan
    more
« Reply #12678 on: November 12, 2020, 09:26:41 am »
hmmmmmmmmmmm idk dude sounds pretty rural to me. as everyone is well aware, Pusan is the only real city here

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #12679 on: November 12, 2020, 09:31:04 am »