Read 2405876 times

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #12660 on: November 06, 2020, 12:05:48 pm »
That's all very interesting, however you're not allowed to be teaching science.  I'm reporting you for the substantial reward. 
We had a conversation in English about science!
And I promise I was fulfilling my end of the conversation totally as a teacher's assistant!

...also, if you get me deported, who's gonna delete all your horrendously embarrassing gaffes here on Waygook before the rest of us see them? :shocked: :lipsrsealed:
 Do you honestly want them to know what you're *really* like? :angel:  :evil:

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12661 on: November 06, 2020, 12:16:14 pm »
We had a conversation in English about science!
And I promise I was fulfilling my end of the conversation totally as a teacher's assistant!

...also, if you get me deported, who's gonna delete all your horrendously embarrassing gaffes here on Waygook before the rest of us see them? :shocked: :lipsrsealed:
 Do you honestly want them to know what you're *really* like? :angel:  :evil:

Good point.  I should really think through some of my early morning posts.  Thank God you're up to moderate at 5am when I start posting after my morning calisthenics and hallway wind sprints. 

« Reply #12662 on: November 06, 2020, 03:17:31 pm »
Not the first time that some f*cking asshole, in the middle of the city, decides to burn their rubbish/old cabbage that they've been growing on whatever little public patch they've claimed. Everyone who left a window open, in a 2km radius, is going to come home to an apartment filled with smoke.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12663 on: November 06, 2020, 03:53:49 pm »
Not the first time that some f*cking asshole, in the middle of the city, decides to burn their rubbish/old cabbage that they've been growing on whatever little public patch they've claimed. Everyone who left a window open, in a 2km radius, is going to come home to an apartment filled with smoke.
yes but he is more important than everyone else.
Those impromptu lessons are some of my favourites that I do with my smaller and more enthusiastic 6th grade classes. At one of my schools, I don't have a CT, but the HR teacher is completely on point when it comes to educating the students. She really cares about teaching them about different cultures.

At the beginning of class, one of the students laughed at a picture of a black person. Instead of getting angry, it became an impromptu lesson on the racial history in South Africa and the USA and why race is such a sensitive subject where we're from.

I went into segregation (showed them some famous photographs, including a beach sign which said "Whites only, dogs must be on a leash"), I spoke about the Group Areas Act (non-whites where evicted from their homes and placed in the ghettos) and the Bantu Education Act (Afrikaans as the main language medium in schools) and the Sharpeville Massacre.

The students were absolutely fascinated, horrified and particularly shocked when they asked if, being fair-skinned, Koreans would be classified as white and I said, no, you'd have to be white of European descent. They didn't seem to understand how something so trivial as skin colour could have such ramifications.

It wasn't my intention and I'm a bit on the fence about this debate, but it was a thing of beauty to see a student's mind go into action as she made the "aha" connection by asking if this was the reason why foreigners got so upset about the Korean blackface controversy.
nice one

« Reply #12664 on: November 06, 2020, 04:53:58 pm »
Those impromptu lessons are some of my favourites that I do with my smaller and more enthusiastic 6th grade classes. At one of my schools, I don't have a CT, but the HR teacher is completely on point when it comes to educating the students. She really cares about teaching them about different cultures.

At the beginning of class, one of the students laughed at a picture of a black person. Instead of getting angry, it became an impromptu lesson on the racial history in South Africa and the USA and why race is such a sensitive subject where we're from.

I went into segregation (showed them some famous photographs, including a beach sign which said "Whites only, dogs must be on a leash"), I spoke about the Group Areas Act (non-whites where evicted from their homes and placed in the ghettos) and the Bantu Education Act (Afrikaans as the main language medium in schools) and the Sharpeville Massacre.

The students were absolutely fascinated, horrified and particularly shocked when they asked if, being fair-skinned, Koreans would be classified as white and I said, no, you'd have to be white of European descent. They didn't seem to understand how something so trivial as skin colour could have such ramifications.

It wasn't my intention and I'm a bit on the fence about this debate, but it was a thing of beauty to see a student's mind go into action as she made the "aha" connection by asking if this was the reason why foreigners got so upset about the Korean blackface controversy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozawa_v._United_States

Guy argued he should be considered “white” under the law because his skin was in fact fairer than most caucasians. He lost.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #12665 on: November 11, 2020, 02:15:20 pm »
Why do people go into city FB groups and promote their completely unrelated stuff?

"Hey, people in Chuncheon! I'm having an exhibition in Apgujeong next weekend!"

I mean, I know why, they want to be seen by many eyes, but STOP.

I run the Anyang Meet and Eat group and a guy shared an event in MASAN that was in 3 days. Like, go away.
ETA 2day 4hour 45min to next reboot.
DO NOT UNPLUG

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12666 on: November 11, 2020, 02:23:50 pm »
Why do people go into city FB groups and promote their completely unrelated stuff?

"Hey, people in Chuncheon! I'm having an exhibition in Apgujeong next weekend!"

I mean, I know why, they want to be seen by many eyes, but STOP.

I run the Anyang Meet and Eat group and a guy shared an event in MASAN that was in 3 days. Like, go away.

I like the way that rant was actually a means of promoting the Anyang Meet and Eats group.  Clever. 

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #12667 on: November 11, 2020, 02:27:36 pm »
can i come?
more gg more skill

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #12668 on: November 11, 2020, 02:32:01 pm »
I like the way that rant was actually a means of promoting the Anyang Meet and Eats group.  Clever. 

It really wasn't, hahaha I just like when a story has detail. I hate vagueries "A guy put something unrelated in a group. How annoying." There's no colour.

Group is pretty quiet anyways this school year. :(
DO NOT UNPLUG

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #12669 on: November 12, 2020, 08:08:33 am »
"Oh, you live in a city of 600 000 people with the third highest pop density in the country. That's rural."

- a retard in a group chat, yesterday
DO NOT UNPLUG

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• Busan
    more
« Reply #12670 on: November 12, 2020, 09:12:10 am »
sounds like something a salty, rural-dweller would say
more gg more skill

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #12671 on: November 12, 2020, 09:19:43 am »
sounds like something a salty, rural-dweller would say

I've lived in Seoul. For two years. But the idea that Suwon or Anyang is "rural" is the dumbest thing ever. The fact that it's not Seoul doesn't make it rural.

ru·ral
/ˈro͝orəl/
adjective
in, relating to, or characteristic of the countryside rather than the town.
"remote rural areas"
DO NOT UNPLUG

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• Busan
    more
« Reply #12672 on: November 12, 2020, 09:26:41 am »
hmmmmmmmmmmm idk dude sounds pretty rural to me. as everyone is well aware, Pusan is the only real city here
more gg more skill

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #12673 on: November 12, 2020, 09:31:04 am »
DO NOT UNPLUG

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12674 on: November 12, 2020, 09:35:10 am »
sounds like a certain someone is jealous they are a lowly country bumpkin instead of a sophisticated urban trendsetter (like us cool seoulites)

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12675 on: November 12, 2020, 09:45:17 am »
I live in a town of less than 30,000 people, and it feels super urban compared to the places I lived growing up.
If you can't plink tin cans in the fallow fields next to your home, it's not rural!

« Reply #12676 on: November 12, 2020, 10:01:52 am »
It’s almost always used pejoratively as well, and it’s pretty clear what people are really trying to say when they use the word, which is probably how its use is justified in describing obviously not 시골 areas (or worse, 깡촌!). It annoys me when people (read: my wife!) describe entire states — like say, Wisconsin — as “rural”. Milwaukee is not huge by any means, but it’s obviously not cow pastures either, even if they’re never very far.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12677 on: November 12, 2020, 10:02:29 am »
If you can't plink tin cans in the fallow fields next to your home, it's not rural!
excuse me sir?

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• Busan
    more
« Reply #12678 on: November 12, 2020, 10:46:46 am »
Milwaukee is not huge by any means, but it’s obviously not cow pastures either

as someone from the enlightened, bustling, privileged northeast... that's not obvious
more gg more skill

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12679 on: November 12, 2020, 11:17:14 am »
excuse me sir?
Hmmm. How to put this in a way that you hedonistic, slothful, frivolous, superficial, layabout city-slickers would understand?

Ah! If you walk down your driveway from your doorstep to the street and your cup of Double Ristretto Venti Half-Soy Nonfat Decaf Organic Chocolate Brownie Iced Vanilla Double-Shot Gingerbread Frappuccino Extra Hot With Foam Whipped Cream Upside Down Double Blended is no longer warm, then you probably live in a rural area.