Read 2175497 times

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #12620 on: October 29, 2020, 12:36:32 am »
IM SO SICK of my coteacher getting hog wild because I tell her her words hurt me.......  She gets hurt NOT cause she hurt me, only cause I TOLD her she hurt me.. and that made her feel embarrassed.  I've encountered this bullshit time and again with Korean women.  It's weird as hell.   My ex-girlfriend would do the same thing and yuck......I don't even know how to deal with it....
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 12:40:02 am by dippedinblush »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #12621 on: October 29, 2020, 12:43:01 am »
It's called "losing face".

If you took a single Sociology or Anthropology course in your university degree program then you should understand to some degree.

« Reply #12622 on: October 29, 2020, 05:18:51 am »
Oh, I could never nap at school. I can't nap anywhere there are people out and about. I have serious trust issues.
Makes sitting in an airplane for 14 hours a bit of a chore. :sad:

Yeah, you don’t strike me as the napping-at-work type. It’s something only the higher-ups seem entirely comfortable with from my experience, although I was never shy to put my head down after my last class despite my lowly status.

IM SO SICK of my coteacher getting hog wild because I tell her her words hurt me.......

How often are you telling her this? :sad:

« Reply #12623 on: October 29, 2020, 07:51:26 am »
IM SO SICK of my coteacher getting hog wild because I tell her her words hurt me.......  She gets hurt NOT cause she hurt me, only cause I TOLD her she hurt me.. and that made her feel embarrassed.  I've encountered this bullshit time and again with Korean women.  It's weird as hell.   My ex-girlfriend would do the same thing and yuck......I don't even know how to deal with it....

hog wild?

Anyways, I'm not condoning Korean social culture, I too think it's archaic and BS, I'm just going to do my best to explain it.

Even if your CT said something hurtful, by telling her that what she said hurt your feelings, you've become the architect of a now awkward situation. According to Korean logic, you're now at fault. Furthermore, she considers herself your senior making it even more of a faux pas.

The Korean way is for you to ignore what she said, particularly if she's your senior. Even if someone is at fault, calling them out causes them to lose face and "breaks the harmony" thus, you are the one at fault. Things are changing in the sense that it seems more acceptable to call someone out for bad behaviour in public, however, social interactions seem to be more traditional.

It's absolutely ridiculous, I know. How would Ideal with it? Be more selective as to who you allow into your circle. If it's a work colleague, keep things professional, polite and cordial, but don't get too personal.

Alternatively, could you just be too sensitive? I'm just entertaining the possibility as I've never had a CT say anything nasty to me in years.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #12624 on: October 29, 2020, 09:18:01 am »
I'm just entertaining the possibility as I've never had a CT say anything nasty to me in years.

Careful Aristocrat, you're slipping into the "if it doesn't happen to me it doesn't happen" territory certain posters here occupy  :P

« Reply #12625 on: October 29, 2020, 10:07:11 am »
hog wild?

Southern U.S. colloquialism for "crazy" or "out of control." Especially in Texas where the wild hogs are really taking over and causing all kinds of problems, haha.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #12626 on: October 29, 2020, 10:18:45 am »
Southern U.S. colloquialism for "crazy" or "out of control." Especially in Texas where the wild hogs are really taking over and causing all kinds of problems, haha.

Pretty sure "hog wild" is the name of a level on Crash Bandicoot 1. :P

« Reply #12627 on: October 29, 2020, 10:49:10 am »
Pretty sure "hog wild" is the name of a level on Crash Bandicoot 1. :P

I still say “Booyah Grandma” in fits of excitement.

« Reply #12628 on: October 29, 2020, 11:04:17 am »

Meanwhile, I can't seem to master keeping my coffee in my cup. I can literally drink anything else at a full sprint without spilling a drop, but when it's coffee it's going to end up on my shirt or on some papers.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12629 on: October 29, 2020, 11:33:19 am »

I grew up in Toronto and that was a common expression, although it's "going hog wild" as opposed to "getting hog wild" for me.  It's not a Southern U.S. colloquialism only. 

« Reply #12630 on: October 29, 2020, 12:02:06 pm »
I grew up in Toronto and that was a common expression, although it's "going hog wild" as opposed to "getting hog wild" for me.  It's not a Southern U.S. colloquialism only. 

The term originates from the South U.S., but it's interesting that it's commonly used in Canada, too. It's not something I can picture a Canadian saying, lmao.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12631 on: October 29, 2020, 12:13:52 pm »
The term originates from the South U.S., but it's interesting that it's commonly used in Canada, too. It's not something I can picture a Canadian saying, lmao.

Where are you getting that it was a term that originated in the Southern U.S.?  Hogs is not a southern U.S. term or even an American one. It's from British English.  Hogs go wild when someone throws them feed is how I would guess it originally came about.  We have plenty of hogs in Canada as well.  One of the nicknames for Toronto has long been Hogtown. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 12:17:33 pm by OnNut81 »

« Reply #12632 on: October 29, 2020, 12:30:38 pm »
Where are you getting that it was a term that originated in the Southern U.S.?  Hogs is not a southern U.S. term.  Hogs go wild when someone throws them feed which is how I would guess it originally came about, but we have plenty of hogs in Canada as well.  One of the nicknames for Toronto has long been Hogtown. 

Not the word "hog" by itself, and not the word "wild" by itself. "Hog wild," as a term used to describe certain behaviors and conditions that aren't limited to just hogs.

I understand that it's a term that is understood and used by other countries and cultures because of sharing of the same language and dealing with a lot of the same issues, but it's listed as American English in origin. The term was first printed in 1905 in Arkansas, but it's also believed to have been widely used in the USA before then, since the late 1800s.

But I'm not an epistemology linguistics expert. I just google, like most everyone else.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 02:30:00 pm by Chinguetti »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12633 on: October 29, 2020, 12:31:15 pm »
According to etymonline, the term "hog-wild" is an Americanism dating from 1904.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/hog

Obviously the words themselves predate the expression, and are, as mentioned, ye olde English.
Interestingly, why "going hog-wild" means "to become crazy with excitement" is no longer really known.

« Reply #12634 on: October 29, 2020, 12:50:09 pm »
I'm not an epistemology linguistics expert.

Does sound like a fun gig though!

Interestingly, why "going hog-wild" means "to become crazy with excitement" is no longer really known.

OnNut’s theory sounds viable.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12635 on: October 29, 2020, 01:05:32 pm »
Yeah, sounds pretty reasonable. Although, I think if that were the case, we ought to rename it "going middle-school boys wild".  :laugh:

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #12636 on: October 29, 2020, 01:08:56 pm »
As a Canadian who spent his first 22 years on the West coast, "hog" was used to describe motorcycles of a certain ilk.

"Hog wild"? Uh,... no.

Of course i never saw a live pig until i went to another province (Alberta). Cattle (for beef) and fish (salmon & trout) lived locally.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #12637 on: October 29, 2020, 01:21:56 pm »

Meanwhile, I can't seem to master keeping my coffee in my cup. I can literally drink anything else at a full sprint without spilling a drop, but when it's coffee it's going to end up on my shirt or on some papers.

That's the level! :D
Oh damn, I hope you at least let it cool a bit first so it doesn't burn you!

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #12638 on: October 29, 2020, 01:23:08 pm »

We had the term in NZ too but, wasn't too common, though you'd hear it from time to time.

« Reply #12639 on: October 29, 2020, 02:53:34 pm »
I mean, unique colloquialisms and idioms have developed to describe similar things, from country to country and from region to region, even if they share the same language, and it's not really a crazy concept that these things end up transferring or being adopted simply because they just make sense to everyone, while certain other ones just don't. Immigration, close borders, mass media, entertainment. It happens.

Take "dish soap" for example. Both British and American English use the word "soap," but you won't really hear a British person call their washing up liquid "dish soap" unless they've lived in the US and, I assume, Canada for a time (do Canadians call it dish soap, too, or do you call it something else?) because, to them, it doesn't make much sense. Because soap is supposed to be a solid and not a liquid, haha. And Americans aren't really ever going to call a cookie a biscuit because biscuits aren't supposed to be sweet or flat.

I personally find it really interesting to compare notes.

We had the term in NZ too but, wasn't too common, though you'd hear it from time to time.

Does NZ have a similar term that's more common to use?