Read 2630716 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #12620 on: October 29, 2020, 10:49:10 am »
Pretty sure "hog wild" is the name of a level on Crash Bandicoot 1. :P

I still say “Booyah Grandma” in fits of excitement.

« Reply #12621 on: October 29, 2020, 11:04:17 am »

Meanwhile, I can't seem to master keeping my coffee in my cup. I can literally drink anything else at a full sprint without spilling a drop, but when it's coffee it's going to end up on my shirt or on some papers.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12622 on: October 29, 2020, 11:33:19 am »
Southern U.S. colloquialism for "crazy" or "out of control." Especially in Texas where the wild hogs are really taking over and causing all kinds of problems, haha.

I grew up in Toronto and that was a common expression, although it's "going hog wild" as opposed to "getting hog wild" for me.  It's not a Southern U.S. colloquialism only. 

« Reply #12623 on: October 29, 2020, 12:02:06 pm »
I grew up in Toronto and that was a common expression, although it's "going hog wild" as opposed to "getting hog wild" for me.  It's not a Southern U.S. colloquialism only. 

The term originates from the South U.S., but it's interesting that it's commonly used in Canada, too. It's not something I can picture a Canadian saying, lmao.

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12624 on: October 29, 2020, 12:13:52 pm »
The term originates from the South U.S., but it's interesting that it's commonly used in Canada, too. It's not something I can picture a Canadian saying, lmao.

Where are you getting that it was a term that originated in the Southern U.S.?  Hogs is not a southern U.S. term or even an American one. It's from British English.  Hogs go wild when someone throws them feed is how I would guess it originally came about.  We have plenty of hogs in Canada as well.  One of the nicknames for Toronto has long been Hogtown. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 12:17:33 pm by OnNut81 »

« Reply #12625 on: October 29, 2020, 12:30:38 pm »
Where are you getting that it was a term that originated in the Southern U.S.?  Hogs is not a southern U.S. term.  Hogs go wild when someone throws them feed which is how I would guess it originally came about, but we have plenty of hogs in Canada as well.  One of the nicknames for Toronto has long been Hogtown. 

Not the word "hog" by itself, and not the word "wild" by itself. "Hog wild," as a term used to describe certain behaviors and conditions that aren't limited to just hogs.

I understand that it's a term that is understood and used by other countries and cultures because of sharing of the same language and dealing with a lot of the same issues, but it's listed as American English in origin. The term was first printed in 1905 in Arkansas, but it's also believed to have been widely used in the USA before then, since the late 1800s.

But I'm not an epistemology linguistics expert. I just google, like most everyone else.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 02:30:00 pm by Chinguetti »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12626 on: October 29, 2020, 12:31:15 pm »
According to etymonline, the term "hog-wild" is an Americanism dating from 1904.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/hog

Obviously the words themselves predate the expression, and are, as mentioned, ye olde English.
Interestingly, why "going hog-wild" means "to become crazy with excitement" is no longer really known.

« Reply #12627 on: October 29, 2020, 12:50:09 pm »
I'm not an epistemology linguistics expert.

Does sound like a fun gig though!

Interestingly, why "going hog-wild" means "to become crazy with excitement" is no longer really known.

OnNut’s theory sounds viable.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12628 on: October 29, 2020, 01:05:32 pm »
Yeah, sounds pretty reasonable. Although, I think if that were the case, we ought to rename it "going middle-school boys wild".  :laugh:

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #12629 on: October 29, 2020, 01:08:56 pm »
As a Canadian who spent his first 22 years on the West coast, "hog" was used to describe motorcycles of a certain ilk.

"Hog wild"? Uh,... no.

Of course i never saw a live pig until i went to another province (Alberta). Cattle (for beef) and fish (salmon & trout) lived locally.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #12630 on: October 29, 2020, 01:21:56 pm »

Meanwhile, I can't seem to master keeping my coffee in my cup. I can literally drink anything else at a full sprint without spilling a drop, but when it's coffee it's going to end up on my shirt or on some papers.

That's the level! :D
Oh damn, I hope you at least let it cool a bit first so it doesn't burn you!

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #12631 on: October 29, 2020, 01:23:08 pm »

We had the term in NZ too but, wasn't too common, though you'd hear it from time to time.

« Reply #12632 on: October 29, 2020, 02:53:34 pm »
I mean, unique colloquialisms and idioms have developed to describe similar things, from country to country and from region to region, even if they share the same language, and it's not really a crazy concept that these things end up transferring or being adopted simply because they just make sense to everyone, while certain other ones just don't. Immigration, close borders, mass media, entertainment. It happens.

Take "dish soap" for example. Both British and American English use the word "soap," but you won't really hear a British person call their washing up liquid "dish soap" unless they've lived in the US and, I assume, Canada for a time (do Canadians call it dish soap, too, or do you call it something else?) because, to them, it doesn't make much sense. Because soap is supposed to be a solid and not a liquid, haha. And Americans aren't really ever going to call a cookie a biscuit because biscuits aren't supposed to be sweet or flat.

I personally find it really interesting to compare notes.

We had the term in NZ too but, wasn't too common, though you'd hear it from time to time.

Does NZ have a similar term that's more common to use?

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• NZ
« Reply #12633 on: October 29, 2020, 03:19:59 pm »
I mean, unique colloquialisms and idioms have developed to describe similar things, from country to country and from region to region, even if they share the same language, and it's not really a crazy concept that these things end up transferring or being adopted simply because they just make sense to everyone, while certain other ones just don't. Immigration, close borders, mass media, entertainment. It happens.

Take "dish soap" for example. Both British and American English use the word "soap," but you won't really hear a British person call their washing up liquid "dish soap" unless they've lived in the US and, I assume, Canada for a time (do Canadians call it dish soap, too, or do you call it something else?) because, to them, it doesn't make much sense. Because soap is supposed to be a solid and not a liquid, haha. And Americans aren't really ever going to call a cookie a biscuit because biscuits aren't supposed to be sweet or flat.

I personally find it really interesting to compare notes.

Does NZ have a similar term that's more common to use?

I don't remember a different one instead of "hog wild" - but we call dish soap 'detergent' in NZ, dish soap was uncommon. :o
I've never heard dish soap be called regular soap haha.

« Reply #12634 on: October 29, 2020, 04:44:03 pm »
There is always one kid who ruins it for everyone.  Last year I spend quit a bit of time putting together a choose your own adventure for halloween. I used it in 3rd and 4th grade and was very careful to make it spooky but not really scary. All the ghosts and monsters were cartoonish, there was no blood and no jump scares. All the students seemed to enjoy it...except for one. There was one boy in 4th grade who spent the whole class with his head on his desk, his eyes clenched shut and his hands over his ears.  I thought it was weird but I guess some kids just have a lower tolerance for that sort of thing. Fair enough.  He has since taken it to another level. I tried to play a dungeon runner game  i found on here with his class. There aren't even any monsters in that game. The students just have to remember a series of directions. If they choose the wrong route, they come to a dead end. That's it. As soon as I put it on he starts yelling "No, no, no!" and tries to take my usb out of the computer. I explain to him there are no monsters. My coteacher also explains. He starts crying and I have to abandon the game.  Now he is in grade five. Today I played a hangman alternative I whipped up. It's just a guy chewing bubble gum. If the students guess wrong he blows a bubble that gets bigger until it eventually pops. He immediately starts freaking out yelling and crying.
I have had several conversations with my CoT about him. He does not have any behavioral problems and is actually one of the best students in the class.  I guess his class will not play anymore games.

« Reply #12635 on: October 29, 2020, 04:54:31 pm »
There is always one kid who ruins it for everyone....

Sounds like he's been coddled by his parents to the point that it's perverse.

And here's me playing this to a 3rd grade class after my halloween lesson. Yes, they got scared, but they really kick a kick out of it. Typically, I save the horror shorts as rewards, at the end of the lesson, for my 5th and 6th graders (they absolutely love it) and my CTs have no problem with me showing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS-s56NY14k&ab_channel=MidnightVideo

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12636 on: October 29, 2020, 05:11:42 pm »
There is always one kid who ruins it for everyone.  Last year I spend quit a bit of time putting together a choose your own adventure for halloween. I used it in 3rd and 4th grade and was very careful to make it spooky but not really scary. All the ghosts and monsters were cartoonish, there was no blood and no jump scares. All the students seemed to enjoy it...except for one. There was one boy in 4th grade who spent the whole class with his head on his desk, his eyes clenched shut and his hands over his ears.  I thought it was weird but I guess some kids just have a lower tolerance for that sort of thing. Fair enough.  He has since taken it to another level. I tried to play a dungeon runner game  i found on here with his class. There aren't even any monsters in that game. The students just have to remember a series of directions. If they choose the wrong route, they come to a dead end. That's it. As soon as I put it on he starts yelling "No, no, no!" and tries to take my usb out of the computer. I explain to him there are no monsters. My coteacher also explains. He starts crying and I have to abandon the game.  Now he is in grade five. Today I played a hangman alternative I whipped up. It's just a guy chewing bubble gum. If the students guess wrong he blows a bubble that gets bigger until it eventually pops. He immediately starts freaking out yelling and crying.
I have had several conversations with my CoT about him. He does not have any behavioral problems and is actually one of the best students in the class.  I guess his class will not play anymore games.
i have no time for this. yeah, just stop playing games for that class. sucks for that class, but just not worth the headache.

« Reply #12637 on: October 29, 2020, 05:27:59 pm »

That kid doesn’t have any diagnosed behavioral problems but sounds like he has some issues. Could be more below the surface/at home issues.

« Reply #12638 on: October 29, 2020, 06:01:32 pm »
Yeah, I agree, it could be as simple as him being super pampered and sheltered, but it could also be a phobia of loud noises or anything he fears might have loud noise. And it could just as easily be hidden trauma or something else undiagnosed.

For example, I knew a guy who was a very good student in school, maintained very high grades, was an all around nice guy, seemed very stable... but the minute he heard someone sing "Happy Birthday," it triggered physical tremors, sweating, chain-smoking, and quiet cursing. Then it would take him around 10-20 minutes to become functional and "normal" again. He never talked about why this triggered him and would never ever talk about his past at all, but he did tell me once that he has no family and that he has nothing to do with his parents at all, so it's not hard to assume there's a lot of childhood trauma there.

I don't remember a different one instead of "hog wild" - but we call dish soap 'detergent' in NZ, dish soap was uncommon. :o
I've never heard dish soap be called regular soap haha.

"Detergent" is what we use for laundry, lol... and for the powdered soap used for the dishwashing machine, but I'm not sure if the latter is universal across the States or just in my part.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12639 on: November 02, 2020, 07:08:07 pm »
every night i leave a little bowl of food and water for the local street cat. it's very cute, never noisy. i think he's the only cat which knows about the food, so he waits for me to give food every night

anyway, i came down this morning and some cnut had purposely stubbed out their cigarette in the cat food, and knocked over the water bowl. like...who does that? why be such a colossal prick? if would cost literally no money and no effort to not do those things