Read 2048249 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #12580 on: September 29, 2020, 10:21:39 am »
I really hate some students. I know that sounds bad, but I really do. I mostly like teaching, but I'm sick and tired of kids with this weird attitude that I can't really explain. From the moment they first enroll at my hagwon, they come in and completely throwing off the classroom dynamic I've built up over the months. They're rude and condescending to me. They're rude and condescending to the other students. It's basically an "I know everything" attitude, even when they're wrong. You expect this from kids, but the problem of course is that when I'm trying to explain something, these little shits contradict me in Korean and then the other kids end up believing the wrong information.

Yeah, I know exactly what kind of students you're talking about. First graders try to bring that in with them at the beginning of the school year, too, but my coTs and I will embarrass them right the **** into place. Suddenly they realize that the world doesn't revolve around them or their parents, and that they cannot and will not always get away with being a dick as they might have been able to in elementary school or in their hagwons.

Some of them learn, or they at least learn to hide it better, while others go right on causing trouble in different ways up until they hit third grade when, for some reason, they think they've become the bosses of the school and will try to bully even the teachers. Then they learn that it's possible to get expelled, and that their parents can't always get them out of trouble, lmao.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 10:24:03 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #12581 on: September 29, 2020, 10:30:32 am »
oh yeah. some kids are right little shits. hopefully they'll grow out of it, but there are a lot of dickhead adults about too, so i doubt most of them will

Yeah, I know. These are the kinds of kids who grow up into adults with no skills, no sense of culture, and no sense of consideration for anything outside of their immediate wants and desires. It's a shame that Korean society actually nurtures this attitude, but I guess Koreans prefer having an ignorant, uneducated, and compliant population.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12582 on: September 29, 2020, 10:32:50 am »
This would be an appropriate place for LI to post that research article about how bullies tend to be more successful in life.  :sad:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12583 on: September 29, 2020, 10:43:33 am »
Yeah, I know. These are the kinds of kids who grow up into adults with no skills, no sense of culture, and no sense of consideration for anything outside of their immediate wants and desires. It's a shame that Korean society actually nurtures this attitude, but I guess Koreans prefer having an ignorant, uneducated, and compliant population.
little shits and adult dickheads in all countries around the world, to be fair

« Reply #12584 on: September 29, 2020, 10:45:42 am »
I didn't bother reading that article, but I'm willing to bet that it skirts on a lot of other factors, such as the bully's level of intelligence, charisma and charm, networking skills, and physical attractiveness.

Bullies can get ahead in certain industries, but it really depends a lot on what else they have to offer to help complement their bullying. Jeff Bezos would be a good example of this. He's a bully with a high amount of charisma and intelligence, which he applied towards building a very strong supportive network that would get behind him no matter what he does. He wouldn't be where he is today without both of those.

The article may have just been trying to make the point that not all bullies are brain-dead losers without social skills, but it also feels like it probably doesn't really delve in deep enough about the subject.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 10:56:41 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #12585 on: September 29, 2020, 10:52:16 am »
little shits and adult dickheads in all countries around the world, to be fair

Yeah, I know. I'm just blowing off steam. If I were in my home country, I'd be ranting about people there.

« Reply #12586 on: September 29, 2020, 12:01:46 pm »
I hate my new main 6th grade CT. She controls my classes and seems to be actively blocking me from interreacting with students that I've been teaching since they were little. There are days that I just want to tell her to stfu because she's constantly teaching incorrect grammar and pronunciation. I die a little more inside every class I have with her and can't wait to leave this school in three months. I'll miss my students, but I can't teach them with her being an anal retentive freak. I'm shooting for homeroom positions after this because I'm done teaching with CTs for good after dealing with her.

Students have been asking me why I don't teach anymore, that classes are boring now, and keep giving me sad looks when I go straight to the back of the classroom to sit down.

She edits all my PPTs of diversity and replaces them with blond hair, blue eyed people. She takes out information and replaces it with stereotypes that even the children point out are wrong (because I taught them better). I know that I only have a few months left and shouldn't care, but I'm seriously worried about what she'll undo (she teaches 3rd and 4th sometimes as well) once I'm gone (the homeroom teachers, principal, and other CTs are always telling me how much the students have improved since I got here).

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk. 

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #12587 on: September 29, 2020, 03:20:43 pm »
I hate my new main 6th grade CT. She controls my classes and seems to be actively blocking me from interreacting with students that I've been teaching since they were little. There are days that I just want to tell her to stfu because she's constantly teaching incorrect grammar and pronunciation. I die a little more inside every class I have with her and can't wait to leave this school in three months. I'll miss my students, but I can't teach them with her being an anal retentive freak. I'm shooting for homeroom positions after this because I'm done teaching with CTs for good after dealing with her.

Students have been asking me why I don't teach anymore, that classes are boring now, and keep giving me sad looks when I go straight to the back of the classroom to sit down.

She edits all my PPTs of diversity and replaces them with blond hair, blue eyed people. She takes out information and replaces it with stereotypes that even the children point out are wrong (because I taught them better). I know that I only have a few months left and shouldn't care, but I'm seriously worried about what she'll undo (she teaches 3rd and 4th sometimes as well) once I'm gone (the homeroom teachers, principal, and other CTs are always telling me how much the students have improved since I got here).

Yah, you can't win this one. People like this are mentally deranged and beyond help. Sorry to hear all your hard work is being undone. Some people shouldn't be allowed to teach and she is one of them.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #12588 on: September 29, 2020, 03:37:15 pm »

That's sad.....but know the students appreciated your work

« Reply #12589 on: October 13, 2020, 10:12:56 am »
I typically spend around 1.5 hours at the gym: 30 minutes doing cardio (usually jogging on the treadmill), and then an hour on weights.

There was an ahjeosshi using the leg extension machine when I walked into the weight room. He was still using it when I left. Over an hour. On one ****** machine. He would get on, do like 4-5 reps on it, get off to do this weird jogging stretch for about 30 seconds to a minute, then get back on to do the same thing over again. He had the machine on the lowest weight possible, too, and he made sure to guard the machine against anyone who dared to get too close to it whenever he was doing his weird stretch thing.

I don't use the machine, but I was still irritated for everyone else in the gym. No idea what he thought he was accomplishing.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #12590 on: October 13, 2020, 10:15:15 am »
Yeah, I don't want to rush working out, but that is hella inefficient. Get your shit done. Not in a rush, but get it done. Jesus.

It'd be like eating every grain of rice in your bowl individually.

Just use a spoon. Enjoy it, sure, taste it. But, good lord, eat 80 at a time FFS. 
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12591 on: October 13, 2020, 10:22:16 am »
I typically spend around 1.5 hours at the gym: 30 minutes doing cardio (usually jogging on the treadmill), and then an hour on weights.

There was an ahjeosshi using the leg extension machine when I walked into the weight room. He was still using it when I left. Over an hour. On one ****** machine. He would get on, do like 4-5 reps on it, get off to do this weird jogging stretch for about 30 seconds to a minute, then get back on to do the same thing over again. He had the machine on the lowest weight possible, too, and he made sure to guard the machine against anyone who dared to get too close to it whenever he was doing his weird stretch thing.

I don't use the machine, but I was still irritated for everyone else in the gym. No idea what he thought he was accomplishing.

My gym has a fair number of fit people who have taken personal training and seem to know what they're doing.  But you still get a lot of the older folk who don't work out efficiently and the trainers never correct or advise them.  Probably an age thing.  I see a few of the old guys who think more is better and load up the weight and then do quick pumps with a fifth of the range of motion.  Seems to very popular on the shoulder press and incline bench machines.  They can't do a full range movement with the weight they have put on so just quickly a do a bunch of convulsive tiny moves.  The leg machines seem to be popular with the people that are really only there to get out of the house. 

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #12592 on: October 25, 2020, 11:53:58 pm »
My gym has a fair number of fit people who have taken personal training and seem to know what they're doing.  But you still get a lot of the older folk who don't work out efficiently and the trainers never correct or advise them.  Probably an age thing.  I see a few of the old guys who think more is better and load up the weight and then do quick pumps with a fifth of the range of motion.  Seems to very popular on the shoulder press and incline bench machines.  They can't do a full range movement with the weight they have put on so just quickly a do a bunch of convulsive tiny moves.  The leg machines seem to be popular with the people that are really only there to get out of the house. 

The leg press is a popular one for “naturally active, but not *gym* exercises” people. If you spend your day on your feet, you can push a lot of weight on those things!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 03:23:30 pm by JNM »

• CO4
  • Adventurer

• April 22, 2020, 07:49:38 pm
    • All seeing eye
« Reply #12593 on: October 26, 2020, 06:38:18 am »
This is a new low, even for Waygook. 

We now have long time users who never contribute any lesson materials, asking other users to post Google Drive links so they can download for free without paying the subscription fee. 

That Craigslist thread might be more useful than we thought for the penny pinchers!

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #12594 on: October 26, 2020, 07:49:53 am »

We now have long time users who never contribute any lesson materials, asking other users to post Google Drive links so they can download for free without paying the subscription fee. 

That Craigslist thread might be more useful than we thought for the penny pinchers!

It's because waygook started charging to access the lessons - and it was forced upon us with very little warning.
A lot of veterans even pulled their materials from the site over this. Some went and made a new website to share them for free.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12595 on: October 26, 2020, 07:51:22 am »

I think you'll find most long time users will look at the time waygook.org went from being a completely free site to throwing up a pay wall around lesson plans unannounced as the all time low.  Perhaps you weren't around for that debacle. 

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12596 on: October 26, 2020, 08:01:37 am »
I think you'll find most long time users will look at the time waygook.org went from being a completely free site to throwing up a pay wall around lesson plans unannounced as the all time low.  Perhaps you weren't around for that debacle. 

Even lower than that, was inserting a bit of code that changes the url of other sharing sites to spammy.org
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

« Reply #12597 on: October 26, 2020, 08:07:04 am »
Even lower than that, was inserting a bit of code that changes the url of other sharing sites to spammy.org

Yeah I know lots of people removed their lessons after the great wall of 2016.  But that spammy site is great for materials.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12598 on: October 26, 2020, 05:28:23 pm »

i think you're misunderstanding "being cheap" with "not paying for something out of principle". how the paywall was put up and blocking the website k0rshare from being typed so it redirects to "spam" or whatever is absolutely ****** lame

• hippo
  • Super Waygook

• July 16, 2011, 11:28:36 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12599 on: October 26, 2020, 06:18:09 pm »
This is a test.  www.Spam.org. How lovely.  I have even paid for this before.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 06:20:48 pm by hippo »