Read 2011968 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #12380 on: July 20, 2020, 11:40:38 am »
Unless, Dippedinblush removed it herself, I don't see what was wrong about it or why it should be 'reported' for being against the TOS.  It's in the venting thread.  There were no expletives.  It expressed a 'wish'.   Done.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #12381 on: July 20, 2020, 12:29:38 pm »
Unless, Dippedinblush removed it herself, I don't see what was wrong about it or why it should be 'reported' for being against the TOS.  It's in the venting thread.  There were no expletives.  It expressed a 'wish'.   Done.

Good job you're not a mod then and you don't have to be concerned with making those decisions.

Clearly people have different opinions about what breaks the TOS which is resulting in uneven application. For example, I wouldn't say giving my opinion on the hobby of birdwatching is worthy of a report.

As kyndo said, report it if you find it offensive and they can decide. The TOS are clearly defined.

Done indeed.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 12:51:22 pm by Colburnnn »
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12382 on: July 20, 2020, 12:54:03 pm »
I spent all day marking a quiz that I handed out the previous week.
I don't know why I do this to myself: the students barely care, the teacher who I hand the grades off to may or may not include them in their end of term student evaluations, and I've lost like 2 hours.
On the flip side, the questions were about personal likes and dislikes, so it does help put names to faces. Still... all that spread-sheeting... wasting time on stats is something I excel at.

« Reply #12383 on: July 20, 2020, 01:21:35 pm »
I spent all day marking a quiz that I handed out the previous week.
I don't know why I do this to myself: the students barely care, the teacher who I hand the grades off to may or may not include them in their end of term student evaluations, and I've lost like 2 hours.
On the flip side, the questions were about personal likes and dislikes, so it does help put names to faces. Still... all that spread-sheeting... wasting time on stats is something I excel at.

That'd be those damned principles again.  Doing things properly, even if it means taking time to do something that nobody really needs or will know about, just so it satisfies the way you do things.  My 1500+ online class emails that I replied to, took me about 100 hours.  On Saturdays, I would spend four hours clearing them and then standing up and curse loudly before starting my Saturday glass of wine.  Like you, I found out loads of interesting things about my students (like their dogs or cats' names) but I was the only one to instigate it, so can't really complain about it.  But it's the principle, and maybe the one time you decide not to do it, that is the time you get asked for the scores and feedback.   :evil:

« Reply #12384 on: July 20, 2020, 01:42:40 pm »
I teach at 4 schools so, this summer holiday is going to be absolutely shit.

The vacation days are crazy, one school is starting vacation 3 weeks before another and each principal also has his own cockamamie philosophy on how long vacation should be. As it stands, I'm not getting a full week off, something I've desperately needed. Yes, this semester has been short, but my workload has skyrocketed, teaching 6 classes on Tuesdays with no break in-between (I have to go to the homerooms, instead of having them come to the English room... and each class is on a different floor). I just need a week of no school to unwind.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #12385 on: July 20, 2020, 01:57:20 pm »
me too dude, my longest break during vacation will be a four day weekend...

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #12386 on: July 20, 2020, 02:25:34 pm »
That's grim. Have you not asked for a full week? You need a break.

« Reply #12387 on: July 20, 2020, 02:31:58 pm »
For example, I wouldn't say giving my opinion on the hobby of birdwatching is worthy of a report.

No, but calling me a 'cnut' for two weeks wasn't?

I have never reported any posts and never will.  But for somebody to act all hurt now they're being moderated is a bit rich. 

(I doubt this post will be here long) 

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #12388 on: July 20, 2020, 02:43:46 pm »
No, but calling me a 'cnut' for two weeks wasn't?

I have never reported any posts and never will.  But for somebody to act all hurt now they're being moderated is a bit rich. 

(I doubt this post will be here long) 

You deliberately misquoted me in order to mock me, then when I called you out and asked for you to acknowledge your mistake, you blanked it out for as long as you could and stuck your nose in the air. That's why. And you know full well what you were doing.

I want standards to be applied equally and it is quite evident over the past few weeks that they are not.

I was quite happy with the self censoring nature and debates this website had, but it appears that's not what is happening now, so so be it.

When a Rebecca Black meme is offensive you might as well pack up and head home.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 02:46:59 pm by Colburnnn »

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Busan
    more
« Reply #12389 on: July 20, 2020, 03:08:21 pm »

yeah, unfortunately its just not possible with how the camp/summer vacation schedules line up at my schools. at least i'll be leaving right after camp every day. i'll use the rest of it during winter/spring break (and take other random half days 2nd semester). i don't mind too much because i probably wouldn't have done any international travel this summer anyway (and 3 or 4 day weekends seem sufficient for most domestic stuff)

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12390 on: July 20, 2020, 03:16:08 pm »
gotta do camp. no more important days of the school year than doing camp~~

« Reply #12391 on: July 20, 2020, 03:28:14 pm »
gotta do camp. no more important days of the school year than doing camp~~

That's very funny but so true...let's waste all the money on camp that usually isn't so much academic.....

but some camps probably do motivate the students to study English and some camps are educational and fun at the same time, but I would say most of the camps I've done were just for money wasting....although one or two of the many schools I've had did have fun and actually used a lot of English

« Reply #12392 on: July 20, 2020, 05:35:16 pm »

I'm planning on asking my Wednesday school to give me the 12th off, that way I get a full week. Pretty sure they'll oblige as my CT at that school is pretty awesome, they're closing the following day anyway and she knows how hard I work. I've also decided to save all my Summer vacation days for Winter, that way I can get a full 3 weeks off without having to worry about camp... I don't dare let my schools conceive the idea that they can get away with splitting my vacation days up. While some/most/a few Korean teachers work hard, they all pretty much work at one school, meaning they get an uninterrupted rest, not the case for NETs, we have to fight for that.

yeah, unfortunately its just not possible with how the camp/summer vacation schedules line up at my schools. at least i'll be leaving right after camp every day. i'll use the rest of it during winter/spring break (and take other random half days 2nd semester). i don't mind too much because i probably wouldn't have done any international travel this summer anyway (and 3 or 4 day weekends seem sufficient for most domestic stuff)

You got it rough, my man. For me, it's not about traveling, just need a week of waking up knowing I can do whatever I want for the day... unfortunately that does include postgrad work.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #12393 on: July 21, 2020, 09:40:19 am »
I'm off at the end of my contract and the co-teachers have just asked for all my personally created material to use in the 2nd semester. They also want me to record audio for each of the lessons... I'm going to do it as I've asked them for favours in the past and they are providing glowing references for my next move.

However, it doesn't really sit right that my likeness and voice is still being going to be used even though I will no longer be getting financially rewarded. I'll be teaching, but not actually teaching kinda vibe. The only reason they asked is because my school will not have a native teacher after the summer.

What are your opinions on giving material to Korean teachers when leaving a job? (not uploading to Wayg thats a different thing)

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12394 on: July 21, 2020, 10:19:25 am »

What are your opinions on giving material to Korean teachers when leaving a job? (not uploading to Wayg thats a different thing)
depends if i like them. and even if i like them, if they deserve to get all of my stuff

actually i've never given any materials to any teachers before. the ones i didn't give it to didn't deserve it, and the ones i asked if they wanted it said they have their own stuff anyway

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Busan
    more
« Reply #12395 on: July 21, 2020, 10:21:54 am »
i give it if they ask. i've been lucky to have all good co-teachers though so i have no reason not to. what i always do is give my materials to the next NET (if I'm leaving the school), especially if I know they're new

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #12396 on: July 21, 2020, 10:34:21 am »
I usually fork stuff over since I steal all my ppt games from waygook/the other website anyways. I dunno how I'd feel if I were in Colburnnn's position and being asked to actively record stuff though.

I wonder when my school will find out if/when its NET position gets cut or not.

« Reply #12397 on: July 21, 2020, 10:41:34 am »
It depends on my relationship with them. If they've been helpful and considerate towards me in general, they can have anything they want.

If they've tried to avoid doing more than the bare minimum or treated me like a chore at all, I straight up tell them no.

With all that being said, though, most KTs don't ask me for my materials, and, whenever they do, it's only for a random ppt here and there.

I wouldn't mind audio recordings, but I'd say no to any video recordings. Just not comfortable with that at all.

And I'm like tyler, I leave most if not all of my materials to a new NET if I'm being replaced at a school anyway. I'm not possessive over my stuff, I just don't want a lazy asshole taking advantage of me, haha.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12398 on: July 21, 2020, 11:41:19 am »
I'm off at the end of my contract and the co-teachers have just asked for all my personally created material to use in the 2nd semester. They also want me to record audio for each of the lessons... I'm going to do it as I've asked them for favours in the past and they are providing glowing references for my next move.

However, it doesn't really sit right that my likeness and voice is still being going to be used even though I will no longer be getting financially rewarded. I'll be teaching, but not actually teaching kinda vibe. The only reason they asked is because my school will not have a native teacher after the summer.

Doing the VO stuff was your decision, but as far as materials, assuming you made them during working hours or using tools supplied by your employer, they are called "work product" and belong to the employer. 

I'm glad you have a good relationship with your Cos but this has come up before from people who wanted to destroy every piece of anything out of spite.  This is ill-advised and technically illegal since the stuff you did at work, for work, doesn't belong to you, it belongs to your work.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12399 on: July 21, 2020, 11:50:21 am »
Doing the VO stuff was your decision, but as far as materials, assuming you made them during working hours or using tools supplied by your employer, they are called "work product" and belong to the employer. 

I'm glad you have a good relationship with your Cos but this has come up before from people who wanted to destroy every piece of anything out of spite.  This is ill-advised and technically illegal since the stuff you did at work, for work, doesn't belong to you, it belongs to your work.
Yes but what is anyone going to do about it if you don't share your materials?