Read 1933265 times

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #12280 on: July 03, 2020, 12:46:59 pm »
Was told I'll be doing a summer camp from 9am to 5pm. Eight 45 minute class periods. (A K-teacher will be paid for the camp, but I won't.) Did this happen to anyone else? Will be a struggle to keep the students engaged the whole time I think.

Oof. Is it just one day, or...?

I'd honestly much rather have less hours spread over more days, good luck keeping the students occupied throughout a full school day.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #12281 on: July 03, 2020, 12:48:52 pm »
Was told I'll be doing a summer camp from 9am to 5pm. Eight 45 minute class periods. (A K-teacher - who may or may not contribute - will be paid for the camp, but I won't.) Did this happen to anyone else? Will be a struggle to keep the students engaged the whole time I think.

Huh? Why won't you be paid?? If you're not getting paid, don't go to work dude. Ive got 4 x 45mins x 5 days, not the worst.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #12282 on: July 03, 2020, 12:51:54 pm »
I never was paid for camps and never will be.

You?

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #12283 on: July 03, 2020, 12:56:41 pm »
WTF? Really? How does your money work then? I get paid for every minute I am at my school, camp or no camp. Depending on the co teacher and vp, often paid a full day for 4 hours work.

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #12284 on: July 03, 2020, 12:58:42 pm »
The most I can do in a week without being paid is 22 classes so I should say 8 hours the first day, 8 hours the second day, and 6 hours the third day is the boundary of what's legal (without additional payment).

Maybe say that then make the case for spreading the days out over the whole week with less classes per day? Or compressed with vacation is better?

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #12285 on: July 03, 2020, 01:00:26 pm »
I mean, Korean teachers continue to draw salary while on vacation. If there is camp, additional payment is 25k per hour. For Korean teachers. Nothing for NETs.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #12286 on: July 03, 2020, 01:03:27 pm »
Yeah, collecting your salary is not getting paid for camp. Everyone gets paid every month, vacation or not.

Extra pay is not something I've ever received for camp at my school, it has been when I did a city camp that was 4night/5day in a complex in the woods.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #12287 on: July 03, 2020, 01:06:30 pm »
I mean, Korean teachers continue to draw salary while on vacation. If there is camp, additional payment is 25k per hour. For Korean teachers. Nothing for NETs.

Oh so you mean you think you should get extra money on top of your salary? We have different contracts don't we, so it doesn't matter what we are doing at school, teaching or sitting on our arse, we get paid the same.

I'm with you on the 22 hours a week thing though. I think that's why mine is only 4 hours a day. Although I wouldn't say you are working for 'free' just no overtime pay.

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #12288 on: July 03, 2020, 01:09:17 pm »
550k per week is the extra money paid to the Korean teacher involved in the camp. And their involvement is often little to none.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12289 on: July 03, 2020, 01:10:56 pm »
If you're working at your main school, or one of your travel schools, and the camps fall in the normal working hours, it's technically just part of your regularly salaried job, so no extra pay.

But if you work for some other school, often they'll try to attract teachers by  basically paying you a wage on top of the one you're already pulling (which is super nice!). If the camp is on a weekend, after school hours, or during your vacation days, then obviously they're required to pay you extra, as it falls outside regular working hours.

Some schools are just super nice (or aren't aware of the differences between KET and NET contracts lol) and pay extra for regular summer/winter camps, but they're certainly not obligated to!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 01:13:13 pm by kyndo »

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #12290 on: July 03, 2020, 01:11:40 pm »
550k per week is the extra money paid to the Korean teacher involved in the camp. And their involvement is often little to none.

Right, but they are giving up their vacation time to assist. Otherwise there is no incentive for them to do it. It is in our contracts to do it, not in theirs.

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #12291 on: July 03, 2020, 01:17:03 pm »
But sometimes the K-teacher just comes the beginning of the first day for the opening ceremony, takes a picture, then comes at the end of the last day for the closing ceremony and takes a group picture of themselves with the students again. Should they be paid for that? When the NET does all the work?

« Reply #12292 on: July 03, 2020, 01:24:46 pm »
Once again, all teachers got to experience the wisdom of our all-knowing principal

What do you do with a perfectly serviceable, covered parking area that's inside the school premises and allows teachers to get out their car and take 10 steps to enter the school building? Well, you get rid of it and convert it into a 3rd playground.
Yes, the school already has a playground and a giant soccer pitch, but lets convert the parking area into a 3rd playground.

So where do teachers park? Don't worry, principals got you covered. All 40-50 staff and teachers are to park on the actual soccer pitch, even inside the goal posts. This way, he prevents the students from doing dangerous activities like play soccer during the pandemic and probably after the pandemic. He also provides teachers with some morning exercises, this morning was particularly refreshing as it rained and all teachers trudged through the downpour and about 100m of mud to get to the main building. I'm sure the pregnant teachers were particularly grateful for his foresight and wisdom.

Other signs of magnificent leadership include deciding to renovate (not an emergency) every toilet in both school buildings, at the SAME TIME, save the toilet in the school hall (on the other side of the soccer pitch). Now, we have around 350 people having to cross a soccer pitch to share 2, 2 cubicle toilets for the next 2-3 weeks. Oh, it's monsoon season so it'll be raining more frequently now.

The only other available toilet is, of course, the one in the principal's office, which only HE is allowed to use. Strange thing is that, as of late, I've been binging on documentaries about completely looney and incompetent dictators.

« Reply #12293 on: July 03, 2020, 03:36:43 pm »
Once again, all teachers got to experience the wisdom of our all-knowing principal
You've got to wonder how idiots like this get the job. And thanks for confirming what I've always suspected - Korean school principals don't have anything better to do with their time than make strange and arbitrary decisions, just to remind everyone who's boss. Seriously, what do they do in their offices all day?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12294 on: July 03, 2020, 03:42:26 pm »
You've got to wonder how idiots like this get the job. And thanks for confirming what I've always suspected - Korean school principals don't have anything better to do with their time than make strange and arbitrary decisions, just to remind everyone who's boss. Seriously, what do they do in their offices all day?
well i know the one at my old school would just nap on his sofa under the aircon (which he forbade any other classrooms using but his office). in between that he'd have 1:1 meetings with the female teachers and try to make them cry

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12295 on: July 05, 2020, 05:57:37 pm »
Another 15 minute section on TV watching Koreans boil and eat instant noodles, while acting like they've never seen or eaten such a thing before. Do Koreans literally NEVER get tired of watching people do the same mundane thing over and over...and over? Mental

Go on DM,tell me I'm just annoyed because my wife won't let me have power over the remote (whereas in reality I'm annoyed because I'm trying to read a book and the slurping sounds they are making are absolutely revolting)

I'm also noticed Korean TV has recently devolved and now they put microphones directly next to people's mouths when they are eating, so you can hear every ****** chewing sound they make in dolby ****** surround sound. Just....why

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #12296 on: July 05, 2020, 06:48:43 pm »
As one of the good expats, you should be taking pride in the way Korea has spread the exciting culture of Mukbang to the rest of the world.

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #12297 on: July 05, 2020, 07:09:23 pm »
I’m surprised hear students answer the ‘What do you want to be when you grow up?’ question with ‘Mukbang YouTuber’. That’s a career? (Unfortunately it is. Some people make a living doing that. Attractive women can get money simply for eating food.)

« Reply #12298 on: July 05, 2020, 11:47:32 pm »
I’m surprised hear students answer the ‘What do you want to be when you grow up?’ question with ‘Mukbang YouTuber’. That’s a career? (Unfortunately it is. Some people make a living doing that. Attractive women can get money simply for eating food.)

Do mukbangers trend skinny or “attractive”? My impression was no. Part of their appeal; watch people not particularly concerned with their appearance eat as they wish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rant: Lately I find it hard to fall asleep again once disturbed, to the point where I might not fall asleep again at all. Tonight’s culprit: daughter wet the bed. At least it gives me a good excuse to go out an run early in the morning. Also, my daughter’s on a funny daycare schedule now. One week there catching a cold, the next week home recovering — without fail  :cry: (I know, daycares aren’t officially open anyway)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 11:55:08 pm by Don Hobak »

« Reply #12299 on: July 06, 2020, 12:53:12 am »
I can't speak for Korean mukbangers, but as far as American ones the food is part of the highlight, but probably 70% of the content is their personality. I started watching Troyce simply because his vid was about eating a whole gator but I subbed him because he was talking about shit in the news and had some interesting takes. Some mukbangers do that- news or entertaiment reviews with food. I subbed Toshpointfro because she had some weird food I was checking out but she's one of those big positivity people in a chill way and after watching her vids it always puts me in a good frame of mind.

Mukbanging isn't easy. It's not just stuffing your face and people watching. They have to work at their content.