Read 1900776 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #12240 on: June 30, 2020, 03:16:59 pm »
Yes, but I think you said something similar about race baiter Trevor Noah.
Exactly! I'm not saying I agree with their views. I just appreciate the way they make me question things I previously took for granted. A masterclass in jury swinging. I kind of hope dippedinblush has another stab, just for lols.

« Reply #12241 on: June 30, 2020, 03:18:41 pm »
South Africa has some serious problems of which most of the world is not aware.
Problem number one right now is Covid-19. We're climbing the ranks like it's the rugby world cup.

• 745sticky
  • Super Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #12242 on: June 30, 2020, 03:20:50 pm »
If you were to tell me you spent your weekend snogging the school cleaning lady, while sipping on Jack Daniels, eating hog maws and watching Richard Dawkins, I literally cannot express the insane level of indifference and 'meh' I'd feel. Please get it out of your head that you're some kind of rebel, this belated teenage rebellion is ridiculously cringey.

I have to agree that the whole "As a _____ _____ I'm your worst nightmare/the scariest thing/intimidating/etc." thing is incredibly played out to the point that it's begun to actively annoy me. 99% of the time its just blatant posturing.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #12243 on: June 30, 2020, 03:50:05 pm »
“If being gay is the most interesting thing about you, then you are doing it wrong!”

-my lesbian daughter

« Reply #12244 on: June 30, 2020, 11:41:58 pm »
I've known Muslims who were borderline radical. I've known Muslims who have close to zero interest in their faith. I've known Muslims who were devout and austere. I've known Muslims that I'd run into at the club sloshed on Jack and having just blazed a big fat blunt. I've known conservative and progressive Muslims. I've known rational and emo Muslims. Muslim women who were strict and those who were most partiers. I've known Muslims who couldn't stand the slightest criticism of their faith and those that agree with criticism and those that aren't very religious but see anti-Muslim rhetoric as attacks on a grandfather or mother or sister or mentor.

Me personally, I wouldn't hold Americans as responsible for following the teachings or practices of Washington or Trump or Kim Kardashian. People are complicated and have their own views on their country or their religion and most take the good things they like and hope the bad things they don't will change.  :undecided:

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #12245 on: July 01, 2020, 06:12:21 am »
I've known Muslims who were borderline radical. I've known Muslims who have close to zero interest in their faith. I've known Muslims who were devout and austere. I've known Muslims that I'd run into at the club sloshed on Jack and having just blazed a big fat blunt. I've known conservative and progressive Muslims. I've known rational and emo Muslims. Muslim women who were strict and those who were most partiers. I've known Muslims who couldn't stand the slightest criticism of their faith and those that agree with criticism and those that aren't very religious but see anti-Muslim rhetoric as attacks on a grandfather or mother or sister or mentor.

Me personally, I wouldn't hold Americans as responsible for following the teachings or practices of Washington or Trump or Kim Kardashian. People are complicated and have their own views on their country or their religion and most take the good things they like and hope the bad things they don't will change.  :undecided:

Bad analogy. If someone tells you they are American, you don't know anything about them except that they were born there. If someone announces they're a Muslim you understand that they have decided to follow at least some of the teachings of that religion. Otherwise people say things like 'I was born a Catholic, or 'I was raised a Muslim.'     

« Reply #12246 on: July 01, 2020, 07:25:12 am »
Mainly I'm glad Aristocrat presents his ideas so articulately and powerfully. Sometimes it feels like I'm reading Kierkegaard or something. I'm also glad he's South African, a welcome change from the typical Afrikaner buffoonery I'm used to seeing from my countrymen.

My only question is, why aren't you a lawyer? 

Cheers, boet

I'd probably get fed up and quit after a few years, I'm actually incredibly lazy when it comes to work.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #12247 on: July 01, 2020, 09:54:40 am »
And now for something completely different:
People who leave the wet tissue pack open. Close it for f@cks sake.

« Reply #12248 on: July 01, 2020, 10:02:08 am »
And now for something completely different:
People who leave the wet tissue pack open. Close it for f@cks sake.

:laugh:

« Reply #12249 on: July 01, 2020, 10:14:23 am »
Bad analogy. If someone tells you they are American, you don't know anything about them except that they were born there. If someone announces they're a Muslim you understand that they have decided to follow at least some of the teachings of that religion. Otherwise people say things like 'I was born a Catholic, or 'I was raised a Muslim.'     
I'm pretty sure "I'm an American" has followed at least some of the teachings of America- democracy, free speech, etc.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #12250 on: July 01, 2020, 10:27:10 am »
Really? if you meet a young American person nowadays, they're just as likely to be anti-free speech and democracy.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #12251 on: July 01, 2020, 11:00:21 am »
Really? if you meet a young American person nowadays, they're just as likely to be anti-free speech and democracy.

really? they're just as likely to be what? fascist? communist? that's a massive, massive leap. the vast majority of americans of any age are pro-democracy. i'll admit that there are definitely more fascist wannabes than there used to be

• 745sticky
  • Super Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #12252 on: July 01, 2020, 11:06:05 am »
really? they're just as likely to be what? fascist? communist? that's a massive, massive leap. the vast majority of americans of any age are pro-democracy. i'll admit that there are definitely more fascist wannabes than there used to be

the far right (fascists) and the far left (tankies) are both on the rise, but I'm a bit more worried about the fascists because tankies are comically inept. the far right in general is more threatening if only because they actually have a bit of unity whereas the far left is just 30,000 vaguely different political orientations typing paragraphs at each other

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #12253 on: July 01, 2020, 11:14:12 am »

Anti free speech, as in wanting to bring in laws against hate speech is pretty par for the course thesedays among the US youth. Fair enough anti-democracy less so, though look at the support for the marxists BLM. Anyway it's irrelevant to my original point that just being American doesn't mean you hold any particular beliefs, while announcing that you're a muslim would suggest you do.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 11:16:20 am by stoat »

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Busan
    more
« Reply #12254 on: July 01, 2020, 11:15:42 am »
the far right in general is more threatening if only because they actually have a bit of unity whereas the far left is just 30,000 vaguely different political orientations typing paragraphs at each other

also have you ever seen an actual tankie? not on reddit, but i mean in real life. i've seen a few fascists with their SS tattoos at protests, but i've never actually met a tankie who actually wants to do some direct action. it's mostly just people talking online, which your post kind of gets at. on the other hand, the fascists are out there forming militias and shit

• 745sticky
  • Super Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #12255 on: July 01, 2020, 11:40:51 am »
also have you ever seen an actual tankie? not on reddit, but i mean in real life. i've seen a few fascists with their SS tattoos at protests, but i've never actually met a tankie who actually wants to do some direct action. it's mostly just people talking online, which your post kind of gets at. on the other hand, the fascists are out there forming militias and shit

I knew a few in college. You can pretty easily find tankies, anarchists, etc. all grudgingly gathering together under the Antifa's banner, since their respective ideologies don't have enough individual traction to actually achieve anything, so instead they all get together to march around and whine about Shapiro or Crowder or whoever the conservagrifter of the week is. Chaz is probably the closest the far left has gotten to "direct action" and predictably its basically just a worse version of burning man.

The far right was much the same for a while, but they really screwed themselves with Charlottesville. The big danger with the fascists was never that they existed, they've always been around. The danger was that they were getting pretty optical and you had people like Richard Spencer somehow being allowed on CNN. But after Charlottesville they've been pushed back to the fringes. 

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Busan
    more
« Reply #12256 on: July 01, 2020, 12:08:04 pm »
i wish there was more steel manning on this website
(read: i wish there was less straw manning on this website)

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #12257 on: July 01, 2020, 02:21:16 pm »

They’ve done a great job of infiltrating this small website.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #12258 on: July 01, 2020, 02:33:32 pm »
They’ve done a great job of infiltrating this small website.

Agreed, the lefties are all over the show in here.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #12259 on: July 02, 2020, 02:20:43 pm »
Man, takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Some guy asked an expat community last night "I had some info about a sushi restaurant in Hongdae that was 13 000W . Anyone know what it is?"

So, first off, that is pretty bloody general, hahaha. But I wrote..............

:police: Looks like you shoulda "have."

>:( What?

:police: You wrote "had," so if you have then you would know it. Just a bad language joke. Hope you figure it out.

This takes the cake.

>:( Why can't people be nice? This is bullying. Why are you bullying me?

BLOCKED ME

Like, I get that people have different tolerances, and people are different and that's fine, but how do these people form friendships, or bonds, or leave the house. If he'd said I was wasting his time, hell, I'd have agreed with him. But bullying? And then blocking me? Holy hell, like............ does he get mad at the wind for blowing against him when he walks?

Some people, Christ.

The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?