Read 2037434 times

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11960 on: June 10, 2020, 03:40:01 pm »
how do businesses decide on their.. businesses? i mean, near me, a bar opened up. it sold shitty italian food and cocktails. it looked shite. it also closed down in 6 months. did the owner not do any surveys or research into what the locals wanted?

i feel like a lot of new businesses operate under the field of dreams quote: "build it, and they will come"

• AvecPommesFrites
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2017, 02:19:33 pm
    • Incheon International Airport Immigration Office Detention Facility
« Reply #11961 on: June 10, 2020, 03:50:53 pm »
how do businesses decide on their.. businesses? i mean, near me, a bar opened up. it sold shitty italian food and cocktails. it looked shite. it also closed down in 6 months. did the owner not do any surveys or research into what the locals wanted?

i feel like a lot of new businesses operate under the field of dreams quote: "build it, and they will come"

Ice cream shops.

That's not shops selling home made ice cream or baskin robins style shops but shops literally selling ice creams and ice bars you'd find in any convenience store  BUT

They actually pay rent for a building and they open in the middle of winter in places with a lower footfall than Cyaena's waygook log in saved passwords list.
Soggy undergarments

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11962 on: June 10, 2020, 04:03:36 pm »
Ice cream shops.

That's not shops selling home made ice cream or baskin robins style shops but shops literally selling ice creams and ice bars you'd find in any convenience store  BUT

They actually pay rent for a building and they open in the middle of winter in places with a lower footfall than Cyaena's waygook log in saved passwords list.

yeah one opened next to me. however, this one also sells decent imported beers cheaper than the local marts/convenience stores (not sure how though?), so i think they're onto something

« Reply #11963 on: June 10, 2020, 04:41:10 pm »
Ice cream shops.

The fact that they survive on such a low margin, low-volume business model makes me think there's something up, either speculative real estate or some sort of front.

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #11964 on: June 11, 2020, 07:47:14 am »
The fact that they survive on such a low margin, low-volume business model makes me think there's something up, either speculative real estate or some sort of front.

You never know, when I was in Prague I saw a particular convenience mart owner driving around in a Ferrari and my friends leaving his store with cocaine.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #11965 on: June 11, 2020, 07:56:13 am »
i worked at a (way too expensive) steakhouse in DC that was owned by some DoD guy who did something with defense software (he liked to throw around his amex black card too). most of the foh staff agreed that it had to be a passion project/a front/or something to do with taxes because there was no way the restaurant was making a profit

so maybe there's just a bunch of really rich korean dudes who really love ice cream

« Reply #11966 on: June 11, 2020, 08:29:51 am »
I know a guy like that. He drives a different car every day of the week, most of them are flashy sports cars but he's got a few of your typical luxury sedans, too. I've watched him buy an entire restaurant a round of drinks trying to impress his "date" (he failed miserably lmao), and he flashes his black card every chance he gets. And all he owns and runs is a small bar which is in no way producing that much of a revenue stream.

I try to avoid him as much as possible because he's a total hoe and sob, but I'm pretty sure he's a younger son and a trust fund baby who needed a hobby that would grant him easy access to women.  :undecided:

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #11967 on: June 11, 2020, 09:11:12 am »
Must be nice to run that sort of business as a "get off my back dad, I'm investing" sort of hobby. My friend opened a bar a few years ago and despite being pretty well-liked around town had to close down (way before covid).

« Reply #11968 on: June 11, 2020, 09:46:02 am »
Yeah, it's really hard to do more than just break even with most businesses. People don't understand the amount of steady volume you need to actually turn a profit after costs are paid, which, in turn, is heavily dependent on repeat business. It's one of the reasons why most businesses fail within 2 years, and, in Korea, why you see failures as quick as 6 months.

Meanwhile, this guy's bar is only bustling during the weekend, does not have the kind of space that could support the number of patrons he would need heading in and out of his dinky little bar to support the lifestyle he lives, and all while being located on prime real estate, too. It's definitely not cheap being there.

I have no idea why his family allows him to hemorrhage money like that, but I figured it's probably a way of keeping him out of trouble. If you only knew this guy, lmao. King Poser Douche.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #11969 on: June 11, 2020, 09:53:09 am »
Yeah, it's really hard to do more than just break even with most businesses. People don't understand the amount of steady volume you need to actually turn a profit after costs are paid, which, in turn, is heavily dependent on repeat business. It's one of the reasons why most businesses fail within 2 years, and, in Korea, why you see failures as quick as 6 months.

Meanwhile, this guy's bar is only bustling during the weekend, does not have the kind of space that could support the number of patrons he would need heading in and out of his dinky little bar to support the lifestyle he lives, and all while being located on prime real estate, too. It's definitely not cheap being there.

I have no idea why his family allows him to hemorrhage money like that, but I figured it's probably a way of keeping him out of trouble. If you only knew this guy, lmao. King Poser Douche.

I bet Chinguetti's spaghetti and muscle for hire would be rolling in the green pretty quickly. :D

« Reply #11970 on: June 11, 2020, 10:54:51 am »
I bet Chinguetti's spaghetti and muscle for hire would be rolling in the green pretty quickly. :D

That actually sounds like a good business model, lol.

Free spaghetti with every purchase of muscle-for-hire. That's how I would stand out against the rest of the muscle-for-hire businesses. Both safety and full stomachs, guaranteed.  :smiley:

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #11971 on: June 11, 2020, 11:20:57 am »

Actually, that film is often misquoted, it's actually "If you build it, HE will come" so following the Field of Dreams quotation it shouldn't be that difficult to meet your quota.  You're only looking for one customer. 

As for the ice cream and beer shop you mentioned I was surprised to see one open near me last winter.  They have some tables as well, but it seemed like attracting opposing segments of the market.  Maybe they thought if dad could throw back a beer he'd be taking the kids out for an ice cream more often.  But, if you say they have import beers for cheaper I should go in.  I've only ever walked by, and it's still around. 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #11972 on: June 11, 2020, 11:50:50 am »
That actually sounds like a good business model, lol.

Free spaghetti with every purchase of muscle-for-hire. That's how I would stand out against the rest of the muscle-for-hire businesses. Both safety and full stomachs, guaranteed.  :smiley:

Wow, I thought the spaghetti might be discounted but free? How do I rate this business higher than 5 stars?
It's a great business model!

« Reply #11973 on: June 15, 2020, 12:11:18 pm »
It's that time of year again when a bunch of women are grasping at their boyfriends whenever they see me in the area, and often letting out super loud, super fake giggles and laughs. It's the kind of thing that happens all year 'round but it's so much more obvious and frequent during certain seasons. I'm pretty sure these are all fresh relationships and that these women just don't want any of their boy toys' attention away from them during their whirlwind 3-week romance, but it's still annoying as ****.

To the men here, I know you also experience similar, but do you notice certain times of the year when it's worse than the norm? Also, how does it normally play out for you? Do insecure boyfriends sling their arms around their ladies? Try to stare you down with a John Wayne glare? Purse their lips in an attempt at a sneer?

To clarify, I'm not talking about any time you're out on a date with someone. I'm talking about the times when you're alone and minding your own business and just trying to walk to the store or whatever.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 12:13:02 pm by Chinguetti »

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #11974 on: June 15, 2020, 01:14:13 pm »
It's that time of year again when a bunch of women are grasping at their boyfriends whenever they see me in the area, and often letting out super loud, super fake giggles and laughs. It's the kind of thing that happens all year 'round but it's so much more obvious and frequent during certain seasons. I'm pretty sure these are all fresh relationships and that these women just don't want any of their boy toys' attention away from them during their whirlwind 3-week romance, but it's still annoying as ****.

To the men here, I know you also experience similar, but do you notice certain times of the year when it's worse than the norm? Also, how does it normally play out for you? Do insecure boyfriends sling their arms around their ladies? Try to stare you down with a John Wayne glare? Purse their lips in an attempt at a sneer?

To clarify, I'm not talking about any time you're out on a date with someone. I'm talking about the times when you're alone and minding your own business and just trying to walk to the store or whatever.

My area is nothing but my students or younger, or elderly people. There's no in between here haha.

« Reply #11975 on: June 15, 2020, 01:32:03 pm »

Can't say I've noticed it at certain times of the year, but there's plenty of posturing. I'll oftentimes see young guys aggressively hold onto their ladies, but this is something you see all over the world with young, insecure, lads trying to prove something to the world.

I don't consider myself a giant, but at 186cm, I tower over many Korean guys and it's these "men" who'll eye me up and down and give me the stink eye, puff out their chest, try to walk in my path (they quickly change direction when I show that they're about to get steamrolled over) or mutter something to their partner as they walk past. I haven't really paid enough attention to notice anything else.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #11976 on: June 15, 2020, 02:04:12 pm »
My area is nothing but my students or younger, or elderly people. There's no in between here haha.

The students are living with their grandparents?

What happened to the parents in this situation?

Went to a bigger city to work and didnít want to bring their kid(s) with them so sent them to their grandparentsí?

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #11977 on: June 15, 2020, 02:06:48 pm »
The students are living with their grandparents?

What happened to the parents in this situation?

Went to a bigger city to work and didnít want to bring their kid(s) with them so sent them to their grandparentsí?

I guess some are with a parent, or their parents, but by elderly, I mean 50+ years old. :P

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #11978 on: June 15, 2020, 02:20:41 pm »
I guess some are with a parent, or their parents, but by elderly, I mean 50+ years old. :P

Don't let Mr. C see that! hehehe

« Reply #11979 on: June 15, 2020, 02:25:54 pm »
I was kind of wondering how they might try to square up against a "rival".

Sidewalk chicken should have been my first guess, lol. What a stupid ****** game.

Do any of them clench their fists and walk with their arms slightly out like they're swole? Wearing a polo shirt with their collars popped? Someone please tell me this has happened to them here, I need this to be real.