Read 1933246 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11940 on: June 04, 2020, 02:08:28 pm »
School is back in session, which is nice, but for 3 or my schools, they want the teachers to come in an hour early to oversee the students entering the school. So I'm expected to be there at 7:30, which sucks because I have a 50 minute commute. Oh, *and* I've got a 10 month old baby that I need to get ready for orinijib before I leave (thank jebus they start early!).

Aside from having to wake up well before 6, it means that I cant go for my morning runs anymore. This doubly sucks because I'm usually not able to find the time to run after work.  :sad:

Man, I hope Corona goes away soon so that, among other things, I can sleep again...

That's a crap shoot.  Is it just one day, or every day?  We have the thermal imaging camera and they made a rota for the morning arrivals and the lunch time checking.  So each teacher has one time, once a week.  But before they made the rota they messaged around asking about the teachers with young kids, and they were given lunch time duties, so they didn't have to come in early.

For the sleeping problem, have you tried lying on the edge of your bed.......

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11941 on: June 05, 2020, 08:20:18 am »
That's a crap shoot.  Is it just one day, or every day?  We have the thermal imaging camera and they made a rota for the morning arrivals and the lunch time checking.  So each teacher has one time, once a week.  But before they made the rota they messaged around asking about the teachers with young kids, and they were given lunch time duties, so they didn't have to come in early.

For the sleeping problem, have you tried lying on the edge of your bed.......

Only 3 days a week, thankfully!
Nobody trusts me with the thermal cameras, but they do trust me enough to hand around the side door and tell the kiddos to go around to the front. Because, you know, locking it would violate fire safety rules. Which is rich because there's construction going on currently, and the workers leave big jerry-cans full of petrol sitting around on the playing field...

As for lying on the edge of my bed... I might've tried it, I dunno. I'm usually asleep as soon as I lay down (until about an hour later when the baby demands bottle, rinse, repeat).

I complain, but it's not unbearable. And it'll only get better, I guess.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 08:23:12 am by kyndo »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11942 on: June 06, 2020, 09:57:26 am »
why do so many korean parents give their kids obviously shit haircuts? has anyone else noticed this? do they hate their own children or something?

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #11943 on: June 06, 2020, 11:32:14 am »
I give my kid a really shit haircut every couple of months. But at least I don't pay for it.  :smiley:

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #11944 on: June 06, 2020, 02:59:34 pm »
I give my kid a really shit haircut every couple of months. But at least I don't pay for it.  :smiley:

The difference between a bad haircut and a good haircut is 2-3 weeks.

« Reply #11945 on: June 09, 2020, 11:01:14 pm »
Was looking over a contract and screaming (internally, so as not to disturb my neighbors) at my computer whilst reading it. 

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #11946 on: June 10, 2020, 08:28:41 am »
The ground floor apartment in our block is being renovated and they've been digging up the entire concrete floor with pneumatic drills for the past week. Any of you experts in the building trade know why this would be necessary?

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #11947 on: June 10, 2020, 08:43:39 am »
Well I'm by no means any expert but I'd hazard a guess that its because they're renovating it

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #11948 on: June 10, 2020, 08:57:11 am »
Well I'm by no means any expert but I'd hazard a guess that its because they're renovating it

Yeah, probably some kid of construction work going on.  Changing how things look/work. Improvements. Nails/hammers etc. Drywall.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #11949 on: June 10, 2020, 08:59:47 am »
Yeah thanks guys, I was just wondering what kind of renovations they might be doing. We renovated our apartment 4 years agao and had a new floor put in but no drilling involved. I was wondering if it might have something to do with pipes.

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #11950 on: June 10, 2020, 09:11:03 am »
Yeah thanks guys, I was just wondering what kind of renovations they might be doing. We renovated our apartment 4 years agao and had a new floor put in but no drilling involved. I was wondering if it might have something to do with pipes.

If they're drilling it probably has something to do with pipes.

I worked a temp job renovating some rooms for a hospital a few summers ago, we had to tear down all the drywall to get at the power outlets and shit. We also had to go to the rooms directly below and shift around some ceiling tiles to get at other stuff (not that I knew much about any of that, I was just on grunt work/cleanup duty).

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #11951 on: June 10, 2020, 10:29:34 am »
The ground floor apartment in our block is being renovated and they've been digging up the entire concrete floor with pneumatic drills for the past week. Any of you experts in the building trade know why this would be necessary?

If it's an older building, perhaps they are replacing the heating pipes in the floor. So they have to dig out the old ones with the top layer of the floor.
Or they could be extending some of the rooms with the balcony area. When they do that, they dig up some of the floor to find the heating pipes so they can connect some more to it and bring the heating out to the balcony as well.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #11952 on: June 10, 2020, 11:34:27 am »
If it's an older building, perhaps they are replacing the heating pipes in the floor. So they have to dig out the old ones with the top layer of the floor.
Or they could be extending some of the rooms with the balcony area. When they do that, they dig up some of the floor to find the heating pipes so they can connect some more to it and bring the heating out to the balcony as well.

I think you're spot on with the balcony idea, I noticed it was sticking out a bit more this morning.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11953 on: June 10, 2020, 11:50:02 am »

Underground cables/plumbing that have degraded/cracked causing faults that can't be fixed another way I would assume. Cosmetic work would not normally involve replacing foundation material.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11954 on: June 10, 2020, 11:56:58 am »
     Speaking of breaking up concrete flooring in Korean businesses, one thing that really irritates me is the ubiquitousness of unfinished poured concrete flooring in Korean businesses.
It was kind of cool the first time I saw it: a nicely varnished and polished coating over concrete gave off a sort of minimalist hipster kind of vibe, but after seeing it for the millionth time, I realise its just a cheap time and money saver. Similarly, that unfinished look that many ceilings have here in Korea what with all the ducts and wiring exposed is also super common. I mean, come on, that's just super lazy...   >:(

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11955 on: June 10, 2020, 12:04:51 pm »
     Speaking of breaking up concrete flooring in Korean businesses, one thing that really irritates me is the ubiquitousness of unfinished poured concrete flooring in Korean businesses.
It was kind of cool the first time I saw it: a nicely varnished and polished coating over concrete gave off a sort of minimalist hipster kind of vibe, but after seeing it for the millionth time, I realise its just a cheap time and money saver. Similarly, that unfinished look that many ceilings have here in Korea what with all the ducts and wiring exposed is also super common. I mean, come on, that's just super lazy...   >:(

Don't forget the subway tile and exposed brickwork for that 'NY Loft' feel.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #11956 on: June 10, 2020, 12:19:22 pm »
I think you're spot on with the balcony idea, I noticed it was sticking out a bit more this morning.

It's not supposed to stick out. Older apartments have a crapload of balconies. Basically it looks like:  living room and there is a window, then there is the balcony and another window. And then the outside world after that. So people like to get rid of some of this balcony space to extend their rooms. They take out the inner window, bring out the heating to the balcony and lay down a new floor. So the former balcony becomes part of the living room or a bedroom.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #11957 on: June 10, 2020, 01:07:46 pm »

Couldn't agree more. I tried a new Italian restaurant the other day in my neighbourhood in a basement and it had the decor you decribed above.  I just found it really depressing, not quirky or novel. 

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #11958 on: June 10, 2020, 01:12:55 pm »
It's not supposed to stick out. Older apartments have a crapload of balconies. Basically it looks like:  living room and there is a window, then there is the balcony and another window. And then the outside world after that. So people like to get rid of some of this balcony space to extend their rooms. They take out the inner window, bring out the heating to the balcony and lay down a new floor. So the former balcony becomes part of the living room or a bedroom.

yes I see what you mean now.

• AvecPommesFrites
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2017, 02:19:33 pm
    • Incheon International Airport Immigration Office Detention Facility
« Reply #11959 on: June 10, 2020, 02:01:51 pm »
Couldn't agree more. I tried a new Italian restaurant the other day in my neighbourhood in a basement and it had the decor you decribed above.  I just found it really depressing, not quirky or novel. 

Have you ever noticed when you're out and about the number of footprints in the side walks?  Have you ever seen the road crew painting the crossings? They don't close the road or redirect traffic they just let cars drive over the freshly painted markings as they go. Everything is done as quickly as possible and ain't nobody got time for letting things dry!

Restaurants and shops are left like that so when they go busto in a couple months the new doomed to fail business can be in and set up as quickly as possible.

빨리 빨리 before anything else. 
Soggy undergarments