Read 2296892 times

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11780 on: May 15, 2020, 09:52:45 am »

it's quite clear that online teaching will never replace real teaching, despite what fruitloops might say!

Sssshhhhhhh! You'll summon him! Do you want a five page essay response rehashing the same three things he's been saying for a month now?

• CO4
  • Adventurer

• April 22, 2020, 07:49:38 pm
    • All seeing eye
« Reply #11781 on: May 15, 2020, 10:14:35 am »
Sssshhhhhhh! You'll summon him! Do you want a five page essay response rehashing the same three things he's been saying for a month now?

Every thread is unreadable now anyway.  You have to trawl through pages and pages of endless Peepshow quotes/pics and back and forth pun exchanges between the same few people.  It's a mess.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #11782 on: May 15, 2020, 10:29:57 am »
Every thread is unreadable now anyway.  You have to trawl through pages and pages of endless Peepshow quotes/pics and back and forth pun exchanges between the same few people.  It's a mess.

That pretty much sums it up. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #11783 on: May 15, 2020, 10:49:55 am »
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90įS.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #11784 on: May 15, 2020, 11:26:46 am »
Mods!!!  .

Ronnie misspelled Pancake and you as well! How would one even go about cooking 1 single 'cook' in multiple pannen? One can't, now pan they? Hence, the cooking of a single cookie in a pan. panna kooka

see also : Hoe Cake   ;D

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 11:30:09 am by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #11785 on: May 15, 2020, 11:36:19 am »

Internet forums in general have been on their way out for a while. I've been trawling through old Magic: the Gathering related forums out of boredom, I remember a few years back The Source was popping but now everybody's splintered into their respective Discord servers.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11786 on: May 15, 2020, 12:50:52 pm »
Mods!!!  .

Ronnie misspelled Pancake and you as well! How would one even go about cooking 1 single 'cook' in multiple pannen? One can't, now pan they? Hence, the cooking of a single cookie in a pan. panna kooka

see also : Hoe Cake   ;D

What are you on about? I've never misspelled 'pannenkoek' in my life! It would be like an Aussie misspelling "Vegemite", a Kiwi misspelling "sheep", a Canuck misspelling "poutine", a Brit misspelling "kippers", a Saffer misspelling "Braai", or a Yank misspelling "gun". Totally preposterous!

I could go over the etymology of compound words in Germanic languages and why the first word in said compound is often pluralized, and how in 1995(ish) that tendency was formally codified in Dutch dictionaries, but instead I think I'll just mock you for using English to criticise another language's grammar.  :laugh:

Incidentally, "cookie" is another word taken from Dutch: "Koekje" (which Anglos pronounce as "cookie") is the diminutive of "Koek".  :smiley:

• stoat
  • The Legend

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #11787 on: May 15, 2020, 02:33:01 pm »

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90įS.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #11788 on: May 15, 2020, 02:34:10 pm »
 ;D

But you've missed my panna cotta reference completely!  :sad:
Try to wranglanguage yourself out of that one!

My panna- panne comparison stands firmly! It's kimchi not kimdul-chi. :azn:

incumbo studiis

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11789 on: May 15, 2020, 03:22:44 pm »
 Pssh. Fancy-schmancy Roman desserts!

And from now on, I'm calling it kimdulchi. In honour of you.  :smiley:
Interestingly, one of the top hits for "kim dulchi":

And rant of the day: I really hate VxSafe, and I really really really hate Fasoo. I unplugged my workplace computer from the net, ripped out every trace of the darned thing, and sterilized it from the registry. Reboot the computer... and it's baaaack! Oh, and it decided to break the rest of the dumb DRM programmes so that not only can I not load stuff onto a USB, but now I can't have any programme open for more than 5 seconds before it complains about admin privileges and closed them right down.
   Luckily the IT guy is in today, so we had him sit and take a look. He commented that it looked totally messed up (I sat there practicing my  :angel: look) and spent about half an hour cursing at it. He finally just uninstalled it and didn't put it back in. So that's a win, I guess, although looking innocent for that long was pretty painful. It's gone, but I still hate it.  >:(
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 03:58:01 pm by kyndo »

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #11790 on: May 15, 2020, 10:17:14 pm »
    And rant of the day: I really hate VxSafe, and I really really really hate Fasoo. I unplugged my workplace computer from the net, ripped out every trace of the darned thing, and sterilized it from the registry. Reboot the computer... and it's baaaack! Oh, and it decided to break the rest of the dumb DRM programmes so that not only can I not load stuff onto a USB, but now I can't have any programme open for more than 5 seconds before it complains about admin privileges and closed them right down.
   Luckily the IT guy is in today, so we had him sit and take a look. He commented that it looked totally messed up (I sat there practicing my  :angel: look) and spent about half an hour cursing at it. He finally just uninstalled it and didn't put it back in. So that's a win, I guess, although looking innocent for that long was pretty painful. It's gone, but I still hate it.  >:(
If you change the access restrictions on the directory then it prevents the program from opening. But it's complicated for non-technical types.

If your IT guy figures out what happened, then the guy really knows his stuff. No IT guy has ever found me out.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 10:20:25 pm by pkjh »

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #11791 on: May 18, 2020, 07:27:32 am »
Wife: Thinking of buying a Grandeur as our next car, next year or the next after. 
Me: Grandeur? *Insert multiple expletives*
Wife: Itís a car for manager level in Korean companies.
Me: Itís a car for cnuts.
Wife: The new model looks nice.
Me: Iím not driving a cnutís car.
Wife: Tesla?
Me: Letís discuss it nearer the time.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 07:38:45 am by Savant »

« Reply #11792 on: May 18, 2020, 07:53:02 am »
cnut

So this is a new word for me. I suspected it's just another way of spelling "****", but I wanted to verify:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cnut_the_Great

This gives me ideas.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #11793 on: May 18, 2020, 07:58:20 am »
So this is a new word for me. I suspected it's just another way of spelling "****", but I wanted to verify:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cnut_the_Great

This gives me ideas.

Edit: The Grandeur must sell exceedingly well in Scandinavia where there are a lot of Cnuts.

Yes.

Made me think of a line from ďThe Last KingdomĒ when one character remarked on Cnutís heirs: ď....a bunch of little cnuts running around.Ē
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:00:26 am by Savant »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #11794 on: May 18, 2020, 08:01:54 am »
Wife: Thinking of buying a Grandeur as our next car, next year or the next after. 
Me: Itís a car for cnuts.
Wife: The new model looks nice.
Me: Iím not driving a cnutís car.
Wife: Tesla?
Me: Letís discuss it nearer the time.

Used. Pay cash. Do not put down a huge debt on something like a car. They devalue so fast that they are useless later......... Except to sell for cheap.

That's why YOU should be the one to buy cheap.

Safe, fuel efficient, big enough for your purposes. That's it.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
« Reply #11795 on: May 18, 2020, 08:04:09 am »
Do Koreans really associate car models, colors etc. with professional standing?

Would explain why people always rubber neck when they see me getting into my 16 year old Audi A4. It's like their brains short circuit and they can't comprehend a foreigner (especially a lowly English teacher) purchasing an imported vehicle. I got it for 5 million won ffs. That's like half the price of my wife's 2013 Avante.

« Reply #11796 on: May 18, 2020, 09:20:31 am »
Used. Pay cash. Do not put down a huge debt on something like a car. They devalue so fast that they are useless later......... Except to sell for cheap.

That's why YOU should be the one to buy cheap.

Safe, fuel efficient, big enough for your purposes. That's it.

I used to think like that. Then my partner convinced me to let us buy a brand new Hyundai Ionic. Best decision she ever pushed me to. It's a hybrid so we got a mountain of government subsidies, and we paid it off in under a year. No debt. Amazing fuel efficiency. Nothing luxurious, but it's a comfortable little car.

Used cars here are typically also abused cars. You know how people don't take care of apartments they rent? They do the same for their cars.

« Reply #11797 on: May 18, 2020, 09:33:47 am »
People are stupid with their status cars, though. When I see a brand new BMW belonging to someone that lives in a junky little villa, I have to shake my head. I live in a relatively non-luxurious apartment. And yet the parking area is full of expensive imports and brand new Genesis and Grandeurs. If you've got the money for that kind of car, you really should upgrade where you live before spending all your money on your ride.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #11798 on: May 18, 2020, 10:53:35 am »
People are stupid with their status cars, though. When I see a brand new BMW belonging to someone that lives in a junky little villa, I have to shake my head. I live in a relatively non-luxurious apartment. And yet the parking area is full of expensive imports and brand new Genesis and Grandeurs. If you've got the money for that kind of car, you really should upgrade where you live before spending all your money on your ride.

Agree with this but I'm with CO2 on the brand new car issue.

The neighbours at our previous place had a Kia Morning when we moved there. They were not really wealthy nor was their place particularly expensive. Within 3 or 4 years, they bought a brand new Tucson and a brand new Grandeur. I mean they had these both at the same time. Mind blowing. They ended up selling the Tucson a year or so later because the husband apparently lost his job. He was at home a lot so that's why I assume.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 11:10:27 am by Lazio »

« Reply #11799 on: May 18, 2020, 11:09:44 am »
Agree with this but I'm with CO2 on the brand new car issue.

The neighbours at our previous place had a Kia Morning when we moved there. They were not really wealthy nor the place was particularly expensive. Within 4 years, they bought a brand new Tucson and a brand new Grandeur. I mean they had these both at the same time. Mind blowing. They ended up selling the Tucson a year or so later because the husband apparently lost his job. He was at home a lot so that's why I assume.

Back in my home country, I'm 100% for buying used cars, because you can usually find like-new last-year's models for much cheaper than the current models, and if they're being sold by a reputable dealership, you've got nothing to worry about. But here, the only used car I would buy is a super cheap, disposable beater if I just needed it for a year or so. If it was something I was planning on using for a while, the government gives so many subsidies on new car purchases, it's not a bad idea to buy new here. Especially because the used car market here is a lot shadier than what you'll usually find in our home countries.