Read 2037436 times

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11760 on: May 04, 2020, 11:37:29 am »
Don't the kids' worksheets blow all over the place?

Stoat... I don't experience that. The ceilings are high so the fans with the windows being open circulate the air and it is actually quite effective.  At the moment I am in the teacher's office with the same system and it is 32 degrees outside and I feel quite comfortable.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #11761 on: May 04, 2020, 12:08:41 pm »
Sigh !!!

Onnut in your haste to discredit me (imagine going through all my past posts to do that, you must be bored) your reading skills let you down.

This is what I wrote:

The weather, hot?  Obviously you have never been to South Africa in summer, Taiwan is cool compared to some parts of eastern and northern South Africa.

Note the bold part. I said 'Taiwan is cool compared to SOME parts of SA', not all.

Let me elaborate.  If you travel to the north coast of Natal in summer, the humidity plus heat make Taiwan and Korea seem cool. If you travel to the north-eastern area of SA, known as the Lowveld, let me assure you that it is way hotter than either of the aforementioned places.  Let me give you some personal examples.

During the 1980's I was stationed in a town then called Messina, on the border between SA and Zimbabwe with the SA military for 3 months, July to September (winter/autumn) and the temperature never dropped below 30 degrees.  I went back to that same area in the summer of that year for a vacation and on Christmas Day it was 48 degrees. The hottest recorded temperature at the military base was 52 degrees. So you can see my point. If you have ever travelled to those areas you will know what I am talking about.

Now, please tell me what all this has got to do with Korea and a/c's and Taiwan coping with fans?  I think even with the most basic knowledge of a bit of Geography you would know that Taiwan and Korea are pretty similar places in summer. I would say Taiwan is a tad hotter but that is not important to this point.

Way to derail my comment.

I obviously didn't need to go through your posts.  I went through my posts.  When it benefitted your argument Taiwan was cool and didn't have a hot summer.  When you want to join in on the current  a/c in the classroom discussion Taiwan is now hot.  Got it. 

How does one derail a comment?  And are your comments not open to scrutiny?  And as for derailing a thread, this thread is titled the Ranting?Venting Megathread.  How could it possibly be derailed since its stated purpose is basically anything goes? 

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #11762 on: May 04, 2020, 12:16:34 pm »
Wait... did you just tell a South African he's never been to South Africa?  :laugh:

No.  I copied and pasted Confusedsaffer's previous statement in a thread where I was making the argument that Taiwan had a hot summer, and he was adamant that it did not.  I was surprised after all the effort he went to rebut my assertion that Taiwan summer was very hot, that he is now on here talking about Taiwan having a hot summer.  It was just a little cheeky fun, but I see he has gone overboard as usual in his response. 

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #11763 on: May 04, 2020, 12:52:44 pm »
I obviously didn't need to go through your posts.  I went through my posts.  When it benefitted your argument Taiwan was cool and didn't have a hot summer.  When you want to join in on the current  a/c in the classroom discussion Taiwan is now hot.  Got it. 

How does one derail a comment?  And are your comments not open to scrutiny?  And as for derailing a thread, this thread is titled the Ranting?Venting Megathread.  How could it possibly be derailed since its stated purpose is basically anything goes? 

Arghhhh, you still don't get it, I never said Taiwan wasn't hot. I said COMPARED to some places in SA it wasn't.

Whatever dude, enjoy your little rant. Have a good day.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 12:54:43 pm by confusedsafferinkorea »
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #11764 on: May 07, 2020, 10:09:21 am »
I just posted in the feel good thread and in the space of 5min, my day has gone to sh*t.

My CT strolls in at 10:40, she has children so this entitles her to arrive at 10:30 and leave at 14:30 (I suspect she doesn't come in everyday either), pretty fair for everyone else who doesn't have children.

First, she informs me that schools with fewer than 60 students are allowed to begin classes next week, so I'll be teaching next week at this rural school. While I'm a bit bummed that my holiday has ended, I still have to make online lessons for my other schools, so my workload has increased.

Then, she informs me that she'll be recording some online material today so she'd like me to leave the classroom... I ask why, she says because she's shy. I tell her that both her and I are professionals, if you need to record, record, it's part of our job. She's a 40yr old women with 3 boys and  she's been teaching English much longer than I have, for God's sake. This doesn't stop her from giggling and doing this ridiculous 14yr old schoolgirl pout.

In the interest of diplomacy, I agree and now I'm in a dark little room, with a tiny window and the AC socket nowhere near the desk. 

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #11765 on: May 12, 2020, 05:23:01 am »
Oh my f'ing gawd, if one more of my friends or family members tries to tell me Bill Gates started the virus to control the entire human population. GTFOH!!!

The uglier, the more awkward, the more lacking in charisma a person is, the less he will be trusted / the more smears and slander will stick. (Hillary Clinton and George Soros are other examples.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47dg_C_smtI

On the other hand, a charismatic person can lie yet be perceived as an honest and good person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LibRNYJmZ-I

Style over substance.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #11766 on: May 12, 2020, 05:30:40 am »

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #11767 on: May 12, 2020, 07:39:03 am »
charisma on command is a truly cringey youtube channel, my dude

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #11768 on: May 12, 2020, 08:01:20 am »
charisma on command is a truly cringey youtube channel, my dude

Charisma on Command is like Coach Corey Wayne but for Fortnite zoomers

« Reply #11769 on: May 14, 2020, 10:55:47 am »
Currently sitting in my office where super loud construction has been going on all morning. Why can't we all just work from home???  :cry: :cry: :cry:

« Reply #11770 on: May 14, 2020, 03:21:12 pm »
Currently sitting in my office where super loud construction has been going on all morning. Why can't we all just work from home???  :cry: :cry: :cry:

It's awful, right? My school has been clad with scaffolding and having noisy construction done since December. I can't even close the English room window because there's scaffolding secured to the frame.

« Reply #11771 on: May 15, 2020, 08:37:13 am »
It's Teachers' Day today.  There are no students.  But we have an event today at 10am, where all the teachers will get flowers in a ceremony.  During these times, this all seems just a bit wonky.  I dunno partly it seems a little self-congratulatory, when what I've seen from most teachers this year is just laziness.  Just finding videos and posting them for students to watch with no feedback doesn't really smack of something to 'celebrate'.  Maybe I'm just being a twatface.  I won't be attending, as there are just some ceremonies I couldn't give a shit about, and this is one of them more so this year.  Students present?  Okay.  No students, no thanks!

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #11772 on: May 15, 2020, 08:42:27 am »
It's Teachers' Day today.  There are no students.  But we have an event today at 10am, where all the teachers will get flowers in a ceremony.  During these times, this all seems just a bit wonky.  I dunno partly it seems a little self-congratulatory, when what I've seen from most teachers this year is just laziness.  Just finding videos and posting them for students to watch with no feedback doesn't really smack of something to 'celebrate'.  Maybe I'm just being a twatface.  I won't be attending, as there are just some ceremonies I couldn't give a shit about, and this is one of them more so this year.  Students present?  Okay.  No students, no thanks!

Our school provided a big cake and fruit. I already had a homemade fruit smoothie, so I turned down the cake, had a couple strawberries, and finished my smoothie.
I honestly thought it was someone's birthday until they told me it was teachers day haha

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11773 on: May 15, 2020, 08:48:14 am »
This is a sore spot at my school. The English Dept is expected to make these amazing Pre-recorded videos for every grade, every week, as well as teach live classes per week. So, us native teachers have been doing that, and the Korean English teachers have just been uploading a couple worksheets, and sitting in on the live class (no teaching, and no making videos). It's hard work. A higher work load than normal classes, and it peeved me our manager was skeptical of our hour sheets we handed in for the month (as we put down a few more than we usually would due to the extra work)

I hope schools open soon

« Reply #11774 on: May 15, 2020, 08:58:34 am »
This is a sore spot at my school. The English Dept is expected to make these amazing Pre-recorded videos for every grade, every week, as well as teach live classes per week. So, us native teachers have been doing that, and the Korean English teachers have just been uploading a couple worksheets, and sitting in on the live class (no teaching, and no making videos). It's hard work. A higher work load than normal classes, and it peeved me our manager was skeptical of our hour sheets we handed in for the month (as we put down a few more than we usually would due to the extra work)

Right.  Pile of wannk.  And yours is a private elementary where the expectations should be higher.  It's just seen to be doing the bare minimum, which is double shit, chips and peas.

I met with my old middle school co-teacher friend a couple of weeks ago and he said he'd set some work for the students to give in when they came back.  'Are you gonna check and give them back?' 'What, no, too much work'!  And, I know he's a really good teacher in class, but that kind of attitude seems to be very apparent this year.  Put the ball in the student's court with the EBS ready-made videos and if they don't watch them then they fall behind.  I can't quite wrap my head around that. To me every class is important.  You don't get feedback, then the students may as well just watch a film for 50 minutes because they don't need to display that anything has been understood or learnt. 

All the teachers at my school seem to look younger, go home at 4:30 every day, have 1 or 2 hour coffee breaks for chitchat.  Not something to be celebrating the teachers this year. 

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11775 on: May 15, 2020, 09:01:04 am »
Right.  Pile of wannk.  And yours is a private elementary where the expectations should be higher.  It's just seen to be doing the bare minimum, which is double shit, chips and peas.

I met with my old middle school co-teacher friend a couple of weeks ago and he said he'd set some work for the students to give in when they came back.  'Are you gonna check and give them back?' 'What, no, too much work'!  And, I know he's a really good teacher in class, but that kind of attitude seems to be very apparent this year.  Put the ball in the student's court with the EBS ready-made videos and if they don't watch them then they fall behind.  I can't quite wrap my head around that. To me every class is important.  You don't get feedback, then the students may as well just watch a film for 50 minutes because they don't need to display that anything has been understood or learnt. 

All the teachers at my school seem to look younger, go home at 4:30 every day, have 1 or 2 hour coffee breaks for chitchat.  Not something to be celebrating the teachers this year. 

One would assume the time from May 16th 2019 to the current day includes lots of teaching. Pre Wuhan.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

« Reply #11776 on: May 15, 2020, 09:08:39 am »
One would assume the time from May 16th 2019 to the current day includes lots of teaching. Pre Wuhan.

I'd say it's for this school year.  If you want to do it from last year, that's cool. Go for it!!  My premise still stands that it's shown that there are a load of teachers who get by doing just the minimum, as shown now.  And there are no students.  :undecided:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11777 on: May 15, 2020, 09:15:11 am »

yes, exactly. however, i will say the kids clearly don't give a shit about this, either. i mean, one of my co-workers said he realised have his class were playing minecraft together during his live class. one of my classes collectively decided their webcams suddenly didn't work. oh, and their mics. i was basically talking to myself for the whole class. so i do feel it's a waste of time too, for the most part - especially as i put so much work into making these videos, and half the class doesn't even bother to watch them...

it's quite clear that online teaching will never replace real teaching, despite what fruitloops might say!

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11778 on: May 15, 2020, 09:17:55 am »
I'm at one of my elementary schools today. It's teacher's day and there are not students here as well.
So... a bunch of us stuck on the second floor are buying ourselves chicken and pizza, and we're gonna play uno all afternoon, apparently. Looking forward to it!
I brought a tin of pineapple to put on the pizza, just to show my appreciation!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11779 on: May 15, 2020, 09:24:56 am »
I'm at one of my elementary schools today. It's teacher's day and there are not students here as well.
So... a bunch of us stuck on the second floor are buying ourselves chicken and pizza, and we're gonna play uno all afternoon, apparently. Looking forward to it!
I brought a tin of pineapple to put on the pizza, just to show my appreciation!
this doesn't sound like safe, social distancing to me. police!!!!