• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11761 on: May 12, 2020, 08:01:20 am »
charisma on command is a truly cringey youtube channel, my dude

Charisma on Command is like Coach Corey Wayne but for Fortnite zoomers

« Reply #11762 on: May 14, 2020, 10:55:47 am »
Currently sitting in my office where super loud construction has been going on all morning. Why can't we all just work from home???  :cry: :cry: :cry:

« Reply #11763 on: May 14, 2020, 03:21:12 pm »
Currently sitting in my office where super loud construction has been going on all morning. Why can't we all just work from home???  :cry: :cry: :cry:

It's awful, right? My school has been clad with scaffolding and having noisy construction done since December. I can't even close the English room window because there's scaffolding secured to the frame.

« Reply #11764 on: May 15, 2020, 08:37:13 am »
It's Teachers' Day today.  There are no students.  But we have an event today at 10am, where all the teachers will get flowers in a ceremony.  During these times, this all seems just a bit wonky.  I dunno partly it seems a little self-congratulatory, when what I've seen from most teachers this year is just laziness.  Just finding videos and posting them for students to watch with no feedback doesn't really smack of something to 'celebrate'.  Maybe I'm just being a twatface.  I won't be attending, as there are just some ceremonies I couldn't give a shit about, and this is one of them more so this year.  Students present?  Okay.  No students, no thanks!

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #11765 on: May 15, 2020, 08:42:27 am »
It's Teachers' Day today.  There are no students.  But we have an event today at 10am, where all the teachers will get flowers in a ceremony.  During these times, this all seems just a bit wonky.  I dunno partly it seems a little self-congratulatory, when what I've seen from most teachers this year is just laziness.  Just finding videos and posting them for students to watch with no feedback doesn't really smack of something to 'celebrate'.  Maybe I'm just being a twatface.  I won't be attending, as there are just some ceremonies I couldn't give a shit about, and this is one of them more so this year.  Students present?  Okay.  No students, no thanks!

Our school provided a big cake and fruit. I already had a homemade fruit smoothie, so I turned down the cake, had a couple strawberries, and finished my smoothie.
I honestly thought it was someone's birthday until they told me it was teachers day haha

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11766 on: May 15, 2020, 08:48:14 am »
This is a sore spot at my school. The English Dept is expected to make these amazing Pre-recorded videos for every grade, every week, as well as teach live classes per week. So, us native teachers have been doing that, and the Korean English teachers have just been uploading a couple worksheets, and sitting in on the live class (no teaching, and no making videos). It's hard work. A higher work load than normal classes, and it peeved me our manager was skeptical of our hour sheets we handed in for the month (as we put down a few more than we usually would due to the extra work)

I hope schools open soon

« Reply #11767 on: May 15, 2020, 08:58:34 am »
This is a sore spot at my school. The English Dept is expected to make these amazing Pre-recorded videos for every grade, every week, as well as teach live classes per week. So, us native teachers have been doing that, and the Korean English teachers have just been uploading a couple worksheets, and sitting in on the live class (no teaching, and no making videos). It's hard work. A higher work load than normal classes, and it peeved me our manager was skeptical of our hour sheets we handed in for the month (as we put down a few more than we usually would due to the extra work)

Right.  Pile of wannk.  And yours is a private elementary where the expectations should be higher.  It's just seen to be doing the bare minimum, which is double shit, chips and peas.

I met with my old middle school co-teacher friend a couple of weeks ago and he said he'd set some work for the students to give in when they came back.  'Are you gonna check and give them back?' 'What, no, too much work'!  And, I know he's a really good teacher in class, but that kind of attitude seems to be very apparent this year.  Put the ball in the student's court with the EBS ready-made videos and if they don't watch them then they fall behind.  I can't quite wrap my head around that. To me every class is important.  You don't get feedback, then the students may as well just watch a film for 50 minutes because they don't need to display that anything has been understood or learnt. 

All the teachers at my school seem to look younger, go home at 4:30 every day, have 1 or 2 hour coffee breaks for chitchat.  Not something to be celebrating the teachers this year. 

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11768 on: May 15, 2020, 09:01:04 am »
Right.  Pile of wannk.  And yours is a private elementary where the expectations should be higher.  It's just seen to be doing the bare minimum, which is double shit, chips and peas.

I met with my old middle school co-teacher friend a couple of weeks ago and he said he'd set some work for the students to give in when they came back.  'Are you gonna check and give them back?' 'What, no, too much work'!  And, I know he's a really good teacher in class, but that kind of attitude seems to be very apparent this year.  Put the ball in the student's court with the EBS ready-made videos and if they don't watch them then they fall behind.  I can't quite wrap my head around that. To me every class is important.  You don't get feedback, then the students may as well just watch a film for 50 minutes because they don't need to display that anything has been understood or learnt. 

All the teachers at my school seem to look younger, go home at 4:30 every day, have 1 or 2 hour coffee breaks for chitchat.  Not something to be celebrating the teachers this year. 

One would assume the time from May 16th 2019 to the current day includes lots of teaching. Pre Wuhan.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

« Reply #11769 on: May 15, 2020, 09:08:39 am »
One would assume the time from May 16th 2019 to the current day includes lots of teaching. Pre Wuhan.

I'd say it's for this school year.  If you want to do it from last year, that's cool. Go for it!!  My premise still stands that it's shown that there are a load of teachers who get by doing just the minimum, as shown now.  And there are no students.  :undecided:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11770 on: May 15, 2020, 09:15:11 am »

yes, exactly. however, i will say the kids clearly don't give a shit about this, either. i mean, one of my co-workers said he realised have his class were playing minecraft together during his live class. one of my classes collectively decided their webcams suddenly didn't work. oh, and their mics. i was basically talking to myself for the whole class. so i do feel it's a waste of time too, for the most part - especially as i put so much work into making these videos, and half the class doesn't even bother to watch them...

it's quite clear that online teaching will never replace real teaching, despite what fruitloops might say!

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11771 on: May 15, 2020, 09:17:55 am »
I'm at one of my elementary schools today. It's teacher's day and there are not students here as well.
So... a bunch of us stuck on the second floor are buying ourselves chicken and pizza, and we're gonna play uno all afternoon, apparently. Looking forward to it!
I brought a tin of pineapple to put on the pizza, just to show my appreciation!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11772 on: May 15, 2020, 09:24:56 am »
I'm at one of my elementary schools today. It's teacher's day and there are not students here as well.
So... a bunch of us stuck on the second floor are buying ourselves chicken and pizza, and we're gonna play uno all afternoon, apparently. Looking forward to it!
this doesn't sound like safe, social distancing to me. police!!!!

« Reply #11773 on: May 15, 2020, 09:25:58 am »
yes, exactly. however, i will say the kids clearly don't give a shit about this, either. i mean, one of my co-workers said he realised have his class were playing minecraft together during his live class. one of my classes collectively decided their webcams suddenly didn't work. oh, and their mics. i was basically talking to myself for the whole class. so i do feel it's a waste of time too, for the most part - especially as i put so much work into making these videos, and half the class doesn't even bother to watch them...

it's quite clear that online teaching will never replace real teaching, despite what fruitloops might say!

My co-teacher showed me something on her EBS admin site as a home room teacher, which shows that she can see which students are 'cheating' and she dreads looking at it, and to see who is doing it.  When a student watches a video, there is a marker for their 'participation', so if there are 5 English classes in a week then she can check that there is a 5/5 participation for that week from that student.  But some students turn on and log in with their computer, and a laptop and on their phone and watch three different classes. So they're essentially attending three classes.  The system call tell these multiple log ins and 'attendances'.  LOL!

Is that why you're posting this in the 'Venting section'.  Are you going to open the tin first?  Will you strain the juice off before putting the pineapple on?  Will you just throw the tin out of the window?  By 2pm, will you be unbuckling your belt one notch? Has your eating schedule for the whole day gone?

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #11774 on: May 15, 2020, 09:38:45 am »
My co-teacher showed me something on her EBS admin site as a home room teacher, which shows that she can see which students are 'cheating' and she dreads looking at it, and to see who is doing it.  When a student watches a video, there is a marker for their 'participation', so if there are 5 English classes in a week then she can check that there is a 5/5 participation for that week from that student.  But some students turn on and log in with their computer, and a laptop and on their phone and watch three different classes. So they're essentially attending three classes.  The system call tell these multiple log ins and 'attendances'.  LOL!

Man, I check attendance/participation based on who fills out the Google Form I do with every lesson (usually just multiple choice questions), and it's entirely possible to fill it out randomly and quickly, and STILL participation rates are falling. You don't need to sign up for anything, you technically don't even need to watch the video, you just need to click the link and choose a couple answers.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11775 on: May 15, 2020, 09:43:12 am »
this doesn't sound like safe, social distancing to me. police!!!!
Don't worry. We'll all keep our masks on while eating.

Is that why you're posting this in the 'Venting section'.  Are you going to open the tin first?  Will you strain the juice off before putting the pineapple on?  Will you just throw the tin out of the window?  By 2pm, will you be unbuckling your belt one notch? Has your eating schedule for the whole day gone?
No. I'm posting it on the Vent/Rant thread as a favour to y'all: give folk something to complain about just in case they've nothing else to inspire them.

I'm considering it. I forgot to bring  a hacksaw, so slicing the can into equal portions is out.  :-[

No, no strainer either. I figure I'll just, you know give each chunk a good squeeze first before placing them on the pizza.

No of course not. That would be irresponsible. I might hit somebody! I'll just hide it in a student desk somewhere. Not in my classroom, obviously: wouldn't want some poor kid to disturb my class by cutting themselves on the sharp edges and passing out mid-lesson!

No. I'm not wearing a belt. And the one I own is one of those awesome ratcheting ones. No notches, no fuss!

Eating schedules? Meh. I normally skip breakfast and lunch so this'll be a bit unusual, but it's no biggie. Might just eat less dinner? Or run an extra km tomorrow?

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #11776 on: May 15, 2020, 09:43:55 am »

You sir, are a true hero.
Cthulhu bless you! :D

« Reply #11777 on: May 15, 2020, 09:50:18 am »
Man, I check attendance/participation based on who fills out the Google Form I do with every lesson (usually just multiple choice questions), and it's entirely possible to fill it out randomly and quickly, and STILL participation rates are falling. You don't need to sign up for anything, you technically don't even need to watch the video, you just need to click the link and choose a couple answers.

The official EBS one is the one that will go on their school record.  Schools that don't use it will have a different system for putting on the student's school record. The live way, would be easier as you can easily check. With the EBS that is the reason that students can 'cheat'.  When they started the online classes all departments had to submit their criteria for class 'attendance', and everybody just wrote 'watched'.

Might just eat less dinner?

Jesus, where is Oglop when you need him? 

It's fewer dinner, you silly dutch pannankoek.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11778 on: May 15, 2020, 09:52:39 am »
pannenkoek*

Careful, you might end up giving Cohort2019 an aneurysm.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 09:55:30 am by kyndo »

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #11779 on: May 15, 2020, 09:52:45 am »

Sssshhhhhhh! You'll summon him! Do you want a five page essay response rehashing the same three things he's been saying for a month now?