Read 2037425 times

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11680 on: April 22, 2020, 01:28:59 pm »
Deodorant on before bed? Why? Who does that?

dude i have no idea. i saw some articles like "you're wearing deodorant all wrong" saying that you should wear it at night because it gets into the skin better or something.

**** those articles

« Reply #11681 on: April 22, 2020, 02:03:32 pm »
Haven't you got anything more mature to do than tell people you don't know and you're never going to meet that they smell?
We're talking hygeine, not "you smell nyah nyah nyah."

I mean, don't you WANT to have good hygeine?

« Reply #11682 on: April 22, 2020, 02:17:49 pm »
:laugh:
[edit: also hey @aristocrat i'm interested in smelling like im "not straight" or whatever. can you recommend a good antiperspirant and maybe a few fragrances for me to check out? thanks brotendo~ (seriously though im genuinely curious)]
Aristocrats picks are good and you definitely have to match whatever fragrance you buy with the season and time of day and setting and what smells good on one person might not smell good on another. General rule of thumb: If it sounds "Springy/Summery" it probably is. Same with the packaging- the lighter and more white-blue the bottle, odds are its better during the warmer days. However, this is NOT always true, case in point Hanae Mori. This can at least help orient you when you have a dozen bottles to test from and need some orientation. If you're just starting, you should probably look at a daytime and night time summer scent.

Also, one thing thing with testing, it's quite likely within a couple tests your nose will get bombarded and things will start to run together. Test a couple. Choose one and apply, and wear it out of the store and see how it does. A good time is during a group outing and someone dips into Olive Young or wherever and you can try it there and then you might get some reactions during the day/night.

Unscented deodorant is incredibly hard to find in Korea, but pretty easy to find via iherb or Amazon Prime, however I'm not sure about now with Corona...

« Reply #11683 on: April 22, 2020, 02:20:03 pm »
Steels is clearly not a Lynx man.
Is that the Brit version of Axe? You're absolutely right. I don't want to smell like I'm 16.

« Reply #11684 on: April 22, 2020, 02:21:51 pm »
I can't. Because the person who is not religious doesn't see religion as an excuse for something. Some catholic priests abused some kids? Yes, but they are catholic. Some Muslims murdered some people at at concert, a beach promenade, at a gay club? Yes, but they are muslim. No, mate. Some pedos and some terrorists.

Being religious is not an excuse for something. It is YOUR excuse for something.

Also, park the whole, you can't make fun of someone for 'religious reasons'. You can make fun of anything someone chooses to do. For example, you can take the piss out of someone who chooses to go birdwatching, you can't take the piss out of someone for having a big nose. This whole, '<insert whatever type of person>...phobia' bs needs to die, and fast. Things need criticising so they fit into our societies.
I think you can see the difference, you just are entering rationalization mode.

Anyways, anyone who judges entire groups or uses characteristics as broad as religion to judge an individual is a pea-wit.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #11685 on: April 22, 2020, 02:28:26 pm »
We're talking hygeine, not "you smell nyah nyah nyah."

I mean, don't you WANT to have good hygeine?

The tone was having a go at people you consider to be lacking in some regard. Just like the way you go after people who can't speak Korean/drive/read electronic maps/do online banking/carry out home improvements, or any of the other things you've slagged people off  for not being proficient at over the years 

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Busan
    more
« Reply #11686 on: April 22, 2020, 02:42:26 pm »
The tone

weewooweewoo :police: "it's the tone police, open up" :huh:

"i can make fun of your religion but my stench (and/or illiteracy) is off limits!"

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #11687 on: April 22, 2020, 02:48:07 pm »
weewooweewoo :police: "it's the tone police, open up" :huh:

"i can make fun of your religion but my stench (and/or illiteracy) is off limits!"

Not  at all, I just said it was childish, that's all.  It's the poor person's one-upmanship version of having a go at people who live in the wrong area, haven't got a big house or expensive car.  He can't have a real go at my 'stench' either because he doesn't know me. That was also kind of my point. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 04:12:36 pm by stoat »

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #11688 on: April 22, 2020, 03:05:44 pm »
Unscented deodorant is incredibly hard to find in Korea, but pretty easy to find via iherb or Amazon Prime, however I'm not sure about now with Corona...

If you go to Hyewha Station on a Sunday and head to the Catholic Church near there, you will find a Filipino market and even some Filipino stores around there. Ask them for Tawas, it is unscented and comes in a stick or powder form. It is great. Dirt cheap too.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Busan
    more
« Reply #11689 on: April 24, 2020, 09:30:22 am »
who the **** are the arctic moneys is CO4!?

we have another LI LIC problem

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #11690 on: April 24, 2020, 09:47:14 am »
who the **** are the arctic moneys is CO4!?

we have another LI LIC problem

CO3 was taken, they said. Between Chimp paraphrasing my life and my family (to no effect) and CO4, I'm starting to feel a bit famous.

Imitation, flattery, etc
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #11691 on: April 24, 2020, 09:55:30 am »
Steels is clearly not a Lynx man.

Lynx Scent of Africa 12 pack for Christmas

« Reply #11692 on: April 24, 2020, 09:56:56 am »
My suggestion is to figure out what season (humidity is a big factor) and occasion you'd want a fragrance for i.e. summer office. Check YouTube  or Google for mens' summer office fragrances, make a list, then go on..

https://www.fragrancenet.com/ni/boutiques/perfume-samples?f=1f!6R

and order some samples. You might know this, but fragrances have notes/ingredients (top, heart and base). Top notes are what you smell during the first 20min or so, heart notes after about an hour and the base notes for the next 5hrs or so. So, you HAVE TO wear it throughout the day to check if you like it.

All of this.

But I also wanted to add that you also have to consider your own body chemistry, too. It's going to affect how any cologne or perfume will smell after a while. What smells good on one person doesn't mean it's going to smell good on another person. This is partly why it's so important to test out scents for a day before making a purchase. You don't want to spend $200+ on a bottle only to find out that it doesn't work well on you.

Example: My mom smells great wearing White Diamonds. She's not a fan of the scent herself so she doesn't wear it often, but when she does, it smells sooooo good on her. But a coworker I used to work with also wore White Diamonds, and it literally smelled like vinegar on her. I didn't even realize she was wearing White Diamonds until she told me, and I had to gently break it to her (because no one else would lol) that it didn't smell good on her. I helped her find something that did (Chanel No. 5), and it smelled amazing on her. More expensive than White Diamonds, but she was a lot happier with it. Most people won't experience that kind of extreme (although I did know a guy whose cologne made him smell like he'd been rolling in roadkill), but what you might experience is a waxy scent or smelling like dead flowers (even if what you are supposed to be wearing isn't flowery). Or it could be a scent that breaks down on you too fast. One person found a toilette that she really liked, and it smelled good on her, but you literally couldn't smell it on her after about 20 minutes. I think she compromised and spritzed some on her clothes instead of on her skin, and that managed to make the scent last for around 4 hours (still not long enough imo) but not everyone will want to do that.

So, find something you enjoy smelling, but don't forget to test how that scent changes on you throughout the day before committing to a purchase. Try to get feedback from others.

And DON'T make the mistake of putting too much on. The higher priced shit is especially powerful. You literally only need to lightly spritz or dab some on in some strategic places, and you'll be good. This is 100x moreso in the summer. Heat definitely enhances the smell, and it can also greatly enhance certain notes that aren't meant to come off as strongly. This is why there are different perfumes for different seasons. The weather and climate DOES affect them, right along with your own body chemistry.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:16:17 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #11693 on: April 24, 2020, 10:16:22 am »
All of this.

But I also wanted to add that you also have to consider your own body chemistry, too. It's going to effect how any cologne or perfume will smell after a while. What smells good on one person doesn't mean it's going to smell good on another person. This is partly why it's so important to test out scents for a day before making a purchase. You don't want to spend $200+ on a bottle only to find out that it doesn't work well on you.

Example - My mom smells great wearing White Diamonds. She's not a fan of the scent herself so she doesn't wear it often, but when she does, it smells sooooo good on her. But a coworker I used to work with also wore White Diamonds, and it literally smelled like vinegar on her. I didn't even realize she was wearing White Diamonds until she told me, and I had to gently break it to her that it didn't smell good on her because no one else would, lol. I helped her find something that did (Chanel No. 5), and it smelled amazing on her. More expensive than White Diamonds, but she was a lot happier with it.

So, find something you enjoy smelling, but don't forget to test how that scent changes on you throughout the day before committing to a purchase. Try to get feedback from others.

And DON'T make the mistake of putting too much on. The higher priced shit especially is powerful. You literally only need to lightly spritz or dab some on in some strategic places, and you'll be good.

True, which is why I always order a 1ml vial first to sample how it wears on my skin. Everyone's going apeshit over Dior Sauvage and when I tried it, it smelled extremely generic and somewhat piercingly artificial on me. Same with Creed Aventus, it smelled good on me but not $435 good.

I'm trying not to overload with information, but it's fun to talk about so... the concentration is usually what makes a fragrance strong or weak. Generally, you're going to be dealing with these 3 (there are others but these are the most common):

EDC (Eau de Cologne)
EDT (Eau de Toilette)
EDP (Eau do Parfum)

I forget the exact numbers but typically, these refer to how much concentrated perfume oil is in the bottle. EDC has the least, EDC has more and EDP has the highest concentration. The concentration usually determines how strong the fragrance will be so... tread lightly when wearing an EDP to a place where you'll be sitting close to people for a while, or in a humid environment... even the most pleasing fragrance will end up becoming pungent and unbearable to those around you.

This is the mistake many make, dude buys or is gifted, God forbid "Paco Rabanne's One Million" (a club fragrance) and decides to wear it everywhere, including work!

Last one, which I do, ASK A WOMAN! Better yet, ask the opinion of a trusted female friend at work. It's a fun conversation starter and will really give you an idea of what people REALLY think about the fragrance you're wearing; whether you should change it, tone it down, wear more. etc.

Enjoy

« Reply #11694 on: April 24, 2020, 10:36:58 am »
True, which is why I always order a 1ml vial first to sample how it wears on my skin. Everyone's going apeshit over Dior Sauvage and when I tried it, it smelled extremely generic and somewhat piercingly artificial on me. Same with Creed Aventus, it smelled good on me but not $435 good.

I'm trying not to overload with information, but it's fun to talk about so... the concentration is usually what makes a fragrance strong or weak. Generally, you're going to be dealing with these 3 (there are others but these are the most common):

EDC (Eau de Cologne)
EDT (Eau de Toilette)
EDP (Eau do Parfum)

I forget the exact numbers but typically, these refer to how much concentrated perfume oil is in the bottle. EDC has the least, EDC has more and EDP has the highest concentration. The concentration usually determines how strong the fragrance will be so... tread lightly when wearing an EDP to a place where you'll be sitting close to people for a while, or in a humid environment... even the most pleasing fragrance will end up becoming pungent and unbearable to those around you.

This is the mistake many make, dude buys or is gifted, God forbid "Paco Rabanne's One Million" (a club fragrance) and decides to wear it everywhere, including work!

Last one, which I do, ASK A WOMAN! Better yet, ask the opinion of a trusted female friend at work. It's a fun conversation starter and will really give you an idea of what people REALLY think about the fragrance you're wearing; whether you should change it, tone it down, wear more. etc.

Enjoy

Yeah, it should also be noted by those who aren't as well informed on the subject that a different oil concentration doesn't just affect the strength of the scent -- it also changes the scent itself. So just because a cologne has the same name as its parfum or toilette counterpart, it doesn't mean you're getting the same product and scent.

For example, Chanel No. 5 comes in four (maybe five) different variations, with the parfum being its most concentrated (as parfums are) and classic scent. The other variations all smell different, although you can tell they're related (so like siblings). The toilette in particular is used more as a refresher to the parfum so that if you find the parfum fading more than you want it to too soon in the day, you can layer it with a toilette to give it a boost. But if you use the toilette on its own, it smells like a completely different perfume. And some people prefer it to the parfum.

I personally like to layer strong and robust toilettes (so think ambers) on top of my sweet parfums. Rounds out the scents, and they also act to calm the stronger notes a bit to make them a little more understated on me. And it smells really good on me without being overwhelming. Friends have tried to copy my particular blends because they love the way I smell, but it doesn't work well on them, lol. They have to find their own blends and concentrations.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 11:34:01 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #11695 on: April 24, 2020, 11:50:45 am »
Waygook.org users Chinguetti and Aristocrat literally just taught me a whole bunch about something I never knew about. I never understood the difference between the different types of perfumes.

I used to wear Burberry London (not sure if it was EDC, T or P - look at me using terms I just learned) in the winter, and Hugo Boss XY in the summer. I have a weird body chemistry and everything I've ever tried has ended up smelling bad on me, except those two worked somehow.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #11696 on: April 24, 2020, 12:02:43 pm »
I'm still perplexed as to why you posted this here, CO4. Do you have a lot of downtime?

You've followed me around the web. You saw my video. Alright. Then you went through weeks of reddit history. You assembled a cute little photo.

For what purpose? Did I date your ex-girlfriend, or something? If you're the OinK guy, Thomas Roadguy, then you really, really need a hobby. Because A)  the amount of investigating you do into people's lives is too much and B) I don't know you. I've never wronged you. This isn't Oldboy.

Are you concerned about the students? Oh yeah, there's a tonne of them in an English language website in a forum about teaching English in their country. And they'll totally sift through pages of people's post history. Korean teenagers are like that. Def.

So what's the purpose? Seriously, get a hobby. r/movies , r/creativewriting r/filmmaking, anything.

My friend knows I like Korean movies and they were asking if that was an actress from The Wondergirls. Hint: It's not.

I'm a red blooded male, I watch my share of adult content. You're a person who digs up dirt on............. strangers?

Do my posts here seem too content with life? You're trying to take me down a peg? Who knows. But it's bizarre behaviour.

You posted this on your 6th post, the first one sans moderator approval, using, essentially, my name. Get a hobby. Or does working late nights as a marketing manager keep you busy? Not busy enough it seems.

And to everyone else here, thanks for not engaging with this imbecile.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 12:07:00 pm by CO2 »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #11697 on: April 24, 2020, 12:10:56 pm »
Speaking of reddit, I'm having trouble posting photo submissions.

I'm not shadowbanned, I've checked and my comments get upvotes and downvotes. haha

But when I try to submit a photo, it'll submit for 20 seconds and then just go to my profile page.  The submission ain't there.

I have the new camera so this is very disappointing. I messaged the mods of r/korea and they haven't responded.

Any ideas?

« Reply #11698 on: April 24, 2020, 12:16:01 pm »
They have to find their own blends and concentrations.

And that's part of the fun and adventure.

• CO4
  • Adventurer

• April 22, 2020, 07:49:38 pm
    • All seeing eye
« Reply #11699 on: April 24, 2020, 12:22:38 pm »
I'm still perplexed as to why you posted this here, CO4...

Woah, relax!  I was just teasing  :undecided:

It backfired it seems.  Haven't been called a c*nt before, lesson learned.  Sorry buddy.