Read 1933413 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11580 on: April 14, 2020, 08:30:40 am »
You really said all of that, in Korean? Even the skull through the windscreen part? Amazing!  :laugh:

More easily done with the same outcome

너 세가지 선택이 있어
첫 번째 나에게 새 자전거를 사줘
두번째 경찰에 전화해서 이 문제를 해결하라
세 번째 너 하늘나라 가
하나를 선택해 이새끼야!

I doubt there'll be much of a conversation after that 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #11581 on: April 14, 2020, 08:34:10 am »
세 번째 너 하늘나라 가

Jesus Christ, hahahahaha. You sound like my students in English .

:police: Taemin, where is Minsu today?

:afro: Oh, teacher, he go sky.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #11582 on: April 14, 2020, 08:37:38 am »
너 세가지 선택이 있어
첫 번째 나에게 새 자전거를 사줘
두번째 경찰에 전화해서 이 문제를 해결하라
세 번째 너 하늘나라 가
하나를 선택해 이새끼야!

No idea what this says, but I'm a little reluctant to put it into Google translate. Principal could be monitoring my interwebs, for all I know

« Reply #11583 on: April 14, 2020, 08:56:34 am »
No idea what this says, but I'm a little reluctant to put it into Google translate. Principal could be monitoring my interwebs, for all I know

It says exactly what he said it does. Although, the latter part translates more closely to 'Wanna die?' or 'Wanna go to heaven?" as opposed to putting his head through a windshield.

No need for Google on that.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #11584 on: April 14, 2020, 09:11:42 am »
The ones at my schools are all filled with kids, when I drive around I'm seeing and hearing kids in kindergartens. Pretty much every hagwon is business as usual too.
The kindergartens are filled because teachers are coming to school to do work they can do at home and nobody as it home to look after their kids.

At this point, the closure of schools is completely pointless.

If you're going to do something, do it properly.
Think they're concerned because of what happened in Singapore, and the elections tomorrow. In Singapore they re-opened schools on March 23, just to shut them down again on March 25, because some Kindergarten kid was found to have the virus. So now Singapore won't be planning to re-open schools until May 4.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #11585 on: April 14, 2020, 01:15:56 pm »
Seems like game theory prisoner's dilemma:

Choi, a stay-at-home mum of two high schoolers, is one of the millions of parents keeping South Korea’s cut-throat “hagwon”, or cram schools, in business even as the government imposes tighter restrictions on gatherings in a bid to contain a major coronavirus outbreak.

“It would be nice if hagwons were completely shut and students don’t have to go altogether, because I don’t want my kids to be the ones missing out,” Choi told Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southkorea-educati/coronavirus-fails-to-dampen-south-koreas-fever-for-exam-success-idUSKBN21H124

The government has urged people to stay at home, and maintain social distancing, but none of this has dented the enthusiasm for cram schools, part of a $17 billion dollar private tuition industry that Koreans believe sets students up for a placement at an elite university, and life-long success.

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #11586 on: April 15, 2020, 08:27:42 am »
More easily done with the same outcome

너 세가지 선택이 있어
첫 번째 나에게 새 자전거를 사줘
두번째 경찰에 전화해서 이 문제를 해결하라
세 번째 너 하늘나라 가
하나를 선택해 이새끼야!

Ooof, the cringe if this was really said.

"You buy new bike! You buy now! If no, you go heaven!"

Would have been better to punch the guy. "똥 얼굴" you can say to sound more dignified.
oo oo ahh ahh

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11587 on: April 16, 2020, 08:04:52 am »
Ooof, the cringe in this was really sad.

"You buy new bike! You buy now! If no, you go heaven!"

It would have been better to punch the guy.  You can say "똥 얼굴" to sound more dignified.

Fixed that for you!
Best to hold off critiquing other people's Korean until after you figure out English.  :wink:

« Reply #11588 on: April 16, 2020, 08:12:08 am »
Wearing my N95 mask indoors because every single window is open and the AQI is shit. Whyyyyyyyyyyy does no one take this seriously. It really drives me insane. 4.5 more months until clean, Canadian air  :rolleyes:

« Reply #11589 on: April 16, 2020, 08:40:09 am »
Think they're concerned because of what happened in Singapore, and the elections tomorrow. In Singapore they re-opened schools on March 23, just to shut them down again on March 25, because some Kindergarten kid was found to have the virus. So now Singapore won't be planning to re-open schools until May 4.

Got to school and it seems they're sneakily starting 1st grade elementary classes, as normal. Last week, it was the kindergarten and special needs students, now the 1st graders are here.

I'm not really blaming the school, rather Korea's work culture. Even during a pandemic, many Korean institutions still aren't even entertaining the work from home strategy meaning parents have no choice but to take their kids to school. Aside from the custodians, everyone employed at a Korean public school is doing their work from behind a screen right now... you'd think teachers can't do that from home?

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #11590 on: April 16, 2020, 08:53:40 am »
Got to school and it seems they're sneakily starting 1st grade elementary classes, as normal. Last week, it was the kindergarten and special needs students, now the 1st graders are here.

I'm not really blaming the school, rather Korea's work culture. Even during a pandemic, many Korean institutions still aren't even entertaining the work from home strategy meaning parents have no choice but to take their kids to school. Aside from the custodians, everyone employed at a Korean public school is doing their work from behind a screen right now... you'd think teachers can't do that from home?
Considering that as of 9:50 am April 16, 2020 that both the ebs, and e-hakseupteo sites are down, probably due to sheer volume of students trying to get access those two sites, maybe teachers can't work from home. Despite all the fancy tech Korea posses, internet traffic is still an issue.

« Reply #11591 on: April 16, 2020, 08:58:28 am »
Considering that as of 9:50 am April 16, 2020 that both the ebs, and e-hakseupteo sites are down, probably due to sheer volume of students trying to get access those two sites, maybe teachers can't work from home. Despite all the fancy tech Korea posses, internet traffic is still an issue.

Teachers at my school are on the phone with students alllllll day trying to get everything situated...they are so stressed right now

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #11592 on: April 16, 2020, 09:27:32 am »
Best to hold off critiquing other people's Korean until after you figure out English.  :wink:

C'mon, Kyndo, you're a mod. Don't flame people. (Ironically, his English is correct.)

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #11593 on: April 16, 2020, 09:32:23 am »
Fixed that for you!

There are a number of reasons why a mod shouldn't be allowed to change someone's quote.  Most obvious being that you are attributing something a poster never said to that poster. 

Second would be where you critique someone's English because you were somehow unable to understand it.  It was kind of colloquial, but "Ooof, the cringe if this was really said."  is fine.  There was no need to fix it. 

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #11594 on: April 16, 2020, 09:42:53 am »
By the way Kyndo, you're a cool guy 95% of the time. I usually enjoy your posts. Just try to be a bit better.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #11595 on: April 16, 2020, 10:04:20 am »
By the way Kyndo, you're a cool guy 95% of the time. I usually enjoy your posts. Just try to be a bit better.

The guy is a troll and was advocating violence.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11596 on: April 16, 2020, 10:36:59 am »
There are a number of reasons why a mod shouldn't be allowed to change someone's quote.  Most obvious being that you are attributing something a poster never said to that poster. "
    I didn't change the poster's original comment (which I think is something only a moderator or sysadmin can do, yes.).
    When I *do* change a poster's original comment, I usually leave an edit at the end of the comment saying what I did and why (in small font). Also, the edit history of that comment will show who changed the comment and when, just like when you edit your own comment. (For example, see the bottom of this post.)

Anyway,  I quoted what he/she said, then fixed the typos and grammatical mistakes in the quote. Anybody can do that, not just mods. I then drew attention to the fact that I changed the quote. I've seen the same done here many times, so I didn't think this would be an issue.  :sad:
Also, did you know: when you quote another poster, you can change user name and post time? Useful when trying to stir up trouble.  :wink:

Second would be where you critique someone's English because you were somehow unable to understand it.  It was kind of colloquial, but "Ooof, the cringe if this was really said."  is fine.  There was no need to fix it. 
Ah, you're right. I misread it. (Just goes to show that the old adage that people only see what they want to see is pretty on the mark!)
Apologies to Chimp: apparently he's the one that got Shakespeare right!  :smiley:
I still stand by my correction of the second sentence, though. It was pretty awkward.

Appreciate it!
I'd push for 100%, but then ya'll would have nothing to complain about when discussing the mods!

And anyway, a bit of gentle flaming is healthy: keeps people on their toes.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 11:11:30 am by kyndo »

« Reply #11597 on: April 16, 2020, 10:51:42 am »
Also, did you know: when you quote another poster, you can change user name and post time? Useful when trying to stir up trouble.  :wink:

Thanks for posting before I was born there Brainiac.  Maybe put some money on there being a pandemic in 2020 and see if you can win some money. 

Great, well done there futuristic brainiac.  Did you put that money on there being a pandemic?  Also, is EPIK still hiring and firing in 2257?  Is Alex still living in Korea wondering if he's a good teacher or not?  Curious.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #11598 on: April 16, 2020, 11:00:32 am »
Oh my f'ing gawd, if one more of my friends or family members tries to tell me Bill Gates started the virus to control the entire human population. GTFOH!!!

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #11599 on: April 16, 2020, 11:05:44 am »
The irony is Bill Gates tried to warn us about a future pandemic and even donated his own money towards stopping it. Without him, the situation would be worse.