Read 1933262 times

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11540 on: April 08, 2020, 09:26:03 am »
I'm scratching my head reading my school's updated year calendar as well.  Final exams scheduled three weeks before we break up for the summer vacation.  So nothing has changed really...students do their final exams and then watch films for three weeks because all the work is done.  Business as usual!

« Reply #11541 on: April 08, 2020, 11:10:58 am »
I was kind of stressed last week because my coteacher made it sound like we would be doing that. But just today she told me that the school decided to do prerecorded lessons uploaded online. I'm so relieved. Some of my friends in hagwons had been doing online classes and it sounded awful. They didn't even have 20 kids to work with. IDK how public schools are gonna do it live with 30+ kids and probably helicopter parents watching off screen.

Rant o' the day:

Online teaching is a lot less pleasant than in person teaching.

Want to flee Korea.

« Reply #11542 on: April 09, 2020, 12:25:52 pm »
There's a nosy adjusshi who's recently made the laundromat that opened up near my home some months ago into his personal clubhouse away from home. He's not an employee, and he purposely waits for when he knows the employees won't be there before showing up. When he's there, he stays for 8-10 hour stretches, just watching TV and falling asleep to different programs.

UPDATE: It's been a few days since I've seen this guy around. He was there literally every night, 7 days a week, starting at around 7-8 PM, and he would stick around until about 6 AM. But now all of a sudden he's just *poof* gone.

I'm hoping this means that others complained about him, too, or that the owner finally took a look at his/her surveillance tapes and noticed the pattern, and finally did something about it. It was such a weird and uncomfortable situation.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:27:23 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #11543 on: April 09, 2020, 12:47:51 pm »
I was kind of stressed last week because my coteacher made it sound like we would be doing that. But just today she told me that the school decided to do prerecorded lessons uploaded online. I'm so relieved. Some of my friends in hagwons had been doing online classes and it sounded awful. They didn't even have 20 kids to work with. IDK how public schools are gonna do it live with 30+ kids and probably helicopter parents watching off screen.
Putting the text you're quoting under your reply is just downright confusing. But yeah, glad you dodged that bullet, though some users here seem to prefer the live teaching.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #11544 on: April 09, 2020, 06:59:39 pm »
I'm scratching my head reading my school's updated year calendar as well.  Final exams scheduled three weeks before we break up for the summer vacation.  So nothing has changed really...students do their final exams and then watch films for three weeks because all the work is done.  Business as usual!
Remember a lot of those 'wasted' days like sports days, trips, and whatever, have been taken out in the 1st semester. And if they insist on having a buffer few weeks after finals, I'm not complaining.

« Reply #11545 on: April 09, 2020, 11:24:04 pm »
Putting the text you're quoting under your reply is just downright confusing. But yeah, glad you dodged that bullet, though some users here seem to prefer the live teaching.

Indeed! Count me as one of the 'Live teaching' fraternity. I'm not happy with the online setup at my uni, although of the 2 systems they're pushing, one is manageable...the other is a clusterfuck!

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #11546 on: April 13, 2020, 09:52:20 am »
1) There is no reason to have your phone make noise while you're at work for 8 hours. Maybe if you're a surgeon. Or an emergency responder.

Phones have a light. On the front. It lights up when you get a message. Vibrate is for your pocket. IT's not so that it will clack around on your desk when you get a message. Leave it on silent. When it lights up, check the phone,

ESPECIALLY when your ringtone is................ how can I describe it? You know in the movies, when the blast doors are opening or closing at a nuclear silo? That noise.

2) So, I'm at Gravity Coffee Dujeong, Cheonan yesterday. Just me, reading some CanLit, Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler.

Couple of girls a few tables away. 20? 21? Throwing some ssibals around. Real class. I don't mind that too much, it's the shrill, top of your voice advertising it and not giving a single solitary shit about the other people at the cafe. This is just step one.

NEXT, the woman turns to her right and just sneezes. Her mask is around her neck. Full on, huge sneeze, open air. Had a bit of a tiff with my gal so I already wasn't in a good mood.

Now, she wasn't close enough to really hit me with the sneeze, but that wasn't the point.

So, I say, 여기요. Nothing. Jam she-man, yo. Nothing.

:police: 아가씨 Still notjhing,

That's it. I march over there. And in my best Korean.

Act out sneezing into the open air.

:police: 하지마. 모두 고객님 너의 침 주지마. (I ain't using yo's, f that). 여기! *points at the inside of my elbow.*

Her friend starts laughing.

:police: 뭐 우켜?

Stops laughing.

:police: 그리고, 씨발 씨발 하지마. 카페이예요. 예쁜말, 제발.

This whole time she hasn't looked at me, she's been staring at her laptop screen. She's not doing anyting on the computer. She's listening, but she ain't looking.

This takes the cake. She looks up at me with, and you know the one I mean, that face that just screams, "Why the fu*k are you talking to me?"

UGH. I'm sorry, lady, there's no room for you in this modern age.  Young single people do heroine? That actually upsets me less. You wanna stick implant horns on your head and pretend you're a demon? Fine, it's YOUR life.

But sneezing open air in a cafe while there's a pandemic going on? NO. I don't give a toss if you're sick or not, and you're 99% not, in all honesty, but get a grip, you thick shit. Good lord. Own up to your sneeze, don't give me shit like I'm some sort of weird outcast, keep your damn snot to yourself.

On Saturday, there was a guy walking along the lake, too, older guy and he just pulled down his mask and dropped a huge loogie onto the boardwalk so I looked at him in passing and said 드러워 and again, gives me this look like "Who gave you permission to talk to me?"

You made it my business, you moron.

UGH. I hate some people. We left this shit behind ages ago. We built sewers 100 years ago to get rid of this disease spreading nonsense, the least you can do is not spray your snot all over a restaurant.

The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11547 on: April 13, 2020, 09:55:41 am »
good. people only do that shit because they don't usually get called out on it. reminds me of that Social Assassin episode of Curb

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #11548 on: April 13, 2020, 09:56:57 am »
1) There is no reason to have your phone make noise while you're at work for 8 hours. Maybe if you're a surgeon. Or an emergency responder.

Phones have a light. On the front. It lights up when you get a message. Vibrate is for your pocket. IT's not so that it will clack around on your desk when you get a message. Leave it on silent. When it lights up, check the phone,

ESPECIALLY when your ringtone is................ how can I describe it? You know in the movies, when the blast doors are opening or closing at a nuclear silo? That noise.

2) So, I'm at Gravity Coffee Dujeong, Cheonan yesterday. Just me, reading some CanLit, Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler.

Couple of girls a few tables away. 20? 21? Throwing some ssibals around. Real class. I don't mind that too much, it's the shrill, top of your voice advertising it and not giving a single solitary shit about the other people at the cafe. This is just step one.

NEXT, the woman turns to her right and just sneezes. Her mask is around her neck. Full on, huge sneeze, open air. Had a bit of a tiff with my gal so I already wasn't in a good mood.

Now, she wasn't close enough to really hit me with the sneeze, but that wasn't the point.

:police: 하지마. 모두 고객님 너의 침 주지마. (I ain't using yo's, f that). 여기! *points at the inside of my elbow.*

Stops laughing.

This whole time she hasn't looked at me, she's been staring at her laptop screen. She's not doing anyting on the computer. She's listening, but she ain't looking.

This takes the cake. She looks up at me with, and you know the one I mean, that face that just screams, "Why the fu*k are you talking to me?"

UGH. I'm sorry, lady, there's no room for you in this modern age.  Young single people do heroine? That actually upsets me less. You wanna stick implant horns on your head and pretend you're a demon? Fine, it's YOUR life.

But sneezing open air in a cafe while there's a pandemic going on? NO. I don't give a toss if you're sick or not, and you're 99% not, in all honesty, but get a grip, you thick shit. Good lord. Own up to your sneeze, don't give me shit like I'm some sort of weird outcast, keep your damn snot to yourself.

On Saturday, there was a guy walking along the lake, too, older guy and he just pulled down his mask and dropped a huge loogie onto the boardwalk so I looked at him in passing and said 드러워 and again, gives me this look like "Who gave you permission to talk to me?"

UGH. I hate some people. We left this shit behind ages ago. We built sewers 100 years ago to get rid of this disease spreading nonsense, the least you can do is not spray your snot all over a restaurant.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/04/10/sneeze-cough-animations-coronavirus-pandemic-eg-orig.cnn/video/playlists/coronavirus/

« Reply #11549 on: April 13, 2020, 10:00:31 am »

Stops laughing.

Yes, people are awful.

Also, whenever I feel like I need to tell someone off, which is exceptionally rarely, like once a year, if that, I use English. Gets the point across a lot better than my non-native Korean.

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #11550 on: April 13, 2020, 10:02:45 am »
That sort of stuff really annoys me as well but you've got some balls marching over to them and telling them off in Korean haha.  What if they had said something that you didn't understand?  You'd have looked like a bit of a knob  :lipsrsealed:

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #11551 on: April 13, 2020, 10:03:40 am »
https://edition.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/04/10/sneeze-cough-animations-coronavirus-pandemic-eg-orig.cnn/video/playlists/coronavirus/

Yeah, I should clarify. I know that it can spread far, I just mean that it wasn't like she turned and sneezed ON someone 3 feet away.

It's still ignorant as shit, though.  There's NO reason to sneeze without at least attempting to cover it up.

:police: Use your shirt.

>:( But that's gross.

:police: Yeah, exactly, why the hell do you think that we don't want it? It's YOUR sneeze and it's YOUR shirt.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #11552 on: April 13, 2020, 10:08:23 am »
Yes, people are awful.

Also, whenever I feel like I need to tell someone off, which is exceptionally rarely, like once a year, if that, I use English. Gets the point across a lot better than my non-native Korean.
Yeah, I'm not sure what's more effective. If it's in English they can at least pretend that they have no idea. That's a realistic defence mechanism.

That's also why I keep my Korean to an absolute minimum and keep it basic, I'm not an orator. haha Body language to the max, keep the message direct and short. My grammar might not be perfect but there's absolutely no reason why any Korean couldn't understand what I was trying to convey.

That sort of stuff really annoys me as well but you've got some balls marching over to them and telling them off in Korean haha.  What if they had said something that you didn't understand?  You'd have looked like a bit of a knob  :lipsrsealed:
Quelle nouvelle. hahaha

You die a hero or live long enough to become the knob.

I don't have a lot of shame. Some people simply won't like you, regardless. Take a chance, give it your best is my motto. Sometimes you win, sometimes you look like a knob.

« Reply #11553 on: April 13, 2020, 10:17:44 am »
NEXT, the woman turns to her right and just sneezes. Her mask is around her neck. Full on, huge sneeze, open air.

So you actually went over and confronted her? Dude you're my hero!!!! You did what every Korean (and most foreigners) don't have the cojones to do.

You just know that p***y DeMartino would've been over in a flash to white knight for her and intentionally inhale whatever's left of her snot mist. (yes, I used white knight as a verb) 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #11554 on: April 13, 2020, 10:22:24 am »
So you actually went over and confronted her? Dude you're my hero!!!! You did what every Korean (and most foreigners) don't have the cojones to do.

Yeah, I'm done playing nice.

It'd be like walking around the countryside during the Hwaseong murders and creeping up behind women and yelling "boo!"

Like............... . don't, just don't do that.

Actually, that's not as bad. Cuz it's just scaring someone. Sneeze in the air sans abandon? That's an actual public health hazard.

« Reply #11555 on: April 13, 2020, 10:25:04 am »
Maybe next time I'll tell someone off in Spanish I picked up from watching Narcos. If I knew German, I'd go for the shoutiest WWII German possible.

"Middle Eastern" would certainly get attention but could severely backfire.

« Reply #11556 on: April 13, 2020, 10:34:27 am »
I only really get this with Korean drivers.  Every day I see just plain dangerous, 'the rules don't apply to me' bollocks that just have me frowning.  Every day.  And my drive to school is only 10kms.  Last Friday for example, halfway to school there is a three-way junction with lights, it is a straight two-lane road with an apartment complex making up the third part of the junction and it joins from the right.  There are two lanes on my road and a third that turns right into the apartments, without fail every day while waiting for the lights to change somebody will bomb up the third turning lane and the fire off straight on and in front of everyone else.  The entrance is a blind junction.  If a car pokes its front out, then you'd smash it off, and also considering it's the driver side, a probable fatality.  So last Friday this fukcwit did that, and he was going about 60/70kms an hour.  For no real advantage, and the cars waiting at the lights are maybe 10 or so.  Further on, I caught up with him and decided to give him a prolonged toot on the horn as I go past.  We're both travelling at this point.  As we come into the city, he starts to filter off right, and I go left towards my school.  He took the time as he passed me to put his window to eyeball me, so my window is open so I did some finger-wagging and head-shaking to him, which I can see he enjoyed.  If he'd stopped, I'd have been quite happy to tell him in Korean why he was a cutn.  Who does that?  And yes martin, this doesn't happen in other developed countries, and definitely not the frequency we see here.  Every day I see this and have done for almost the whoel time I've lived here. 

« Reply #11557 on: April 13, 2020, 10:36:20 am »
Oh man, the K-girl death stare, lol.

I usually only experience those while at bars or clubs.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #11558 on: April 13, 2020, 10:40:35 am »
Maybe next time I'll tell someone off in Spanish I picked up from watching Narcos. If I knew German, I'd go for the shoutiest WWII German possible.

"Middle Eastern" would certainly get attention but could severely backfire.

Are you Finnish yet?

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #11559 on: April 13, 2020, 10:47:35 am »
Every day.  And my drive to school is only 10kms.

Ride a bike. Better for the environment, better for your health.