Read 2038280 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11520 on: April 06, 2020, 02:55:16 pm »
How about gently giving advice?

Will be doing her a huge favor.

I'd do that but this is my first day in a new school. Some people are very sensitive to even constructive criticism, so I'd prefer to not get involved, for now.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #11521 on: April 06, 2020, 03:03:33 pm »
How about just using the reply button instead of the quote button?

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #11522 on: April 06, 2020, 03:06:39 pm »
How about just using the reply button instead of the quote button?

how about i do anyway~

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11523 on: April 06, 2020, 03:08:14 pm »
You misunderstand, she doesn't sound like a complete beginner and I would never mock a musician's skill level. The issue is that what she's doing is literally the worst way to practice, as all you're doing is teaching yourself how to make mistakes, and it sounds horrible. 

Yep. As a soccer coach, I say practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. 

For English teachers, the young'uns practice pronouncing camera as cam-air-ah over and over, and by the time they come to you in fifth grade, it cannot be corrected.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #11524 on: April 06, 2020, 03:14:47 pm »
A 2016 report on prostitution by the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family estimated that more than 50 per cent of Korean men had paid money for prostitution services at least once.
https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/lifestyle-culture/article/3078500/south-korea-devil-sex-ring-leaders-identity-reveal

Over 50%? Could that really be true? That makes me really sad.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #11525 on: April 06, 2020, 03:25:37 pm »
Yep. As a soccer coach, I say practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. 

a baseball coach i had said "perfect practice makes perfect" ...same upshot i guess

« Reply #11526 on: April 06, 2020, 04:30:42 pm »
Maybe she doesn't care about being perfect or good. Maybe it's just a way for her to relieve stress.

On the other hand she might be prepping for a school performance or something on festival day and she knows she's a complete amateur at this and is terrified. In which case she'd probably be grateful for some tips. Maybe scope things out first?

« Reply #11527 on: April 06, 2020, 08:19:08 pm »
Maybe she doesn't care about being perfect or good. Maybe it's just a way for her to relieve stress.

On the other hand she might be prepping for a school performance or something on festival day and she knows she's a complete amateur at this and is terrified. In which case she'd probably be grateful for some tips. Maybe scope things out first?

My other reply didn't go through for some reason. Doubt there are any school festivals planned for the immediate future. She seems pretty comfortable having her playing echo throughout the school.

As others have said, the basic principles of practice are universally the same; master the basics before moving on.
She seems to have little awareness or concern for pitch or rhythm which is something you'd find in a complete beginner whose forced to play because his mother sent him for lessons (I know, I've taught guitar and piano for years).

Casual players play simple pieces within their skill level and play these pieces relatively well, they don't play 20min concertos getting every note wrong, and I mean REALLY wrong. It was excruciating.

It was my first day at a new school so I'd prefer to play it safe and not start criticizing teachers.

« Reply #11528 on: April 06, 2020, 08:37:46 pm »
It was my first day at a new school so I'd prefer to play it safe and not start criticizing teachers.
Yeah, probably the best bet. That sounds excruciating to deal with. It's a bit of a weird one, because if she's this inept she's probably just playing for fun. On the other hand if she's playing for fun, she probably wouldn't be wanting to embarrass herself like that. Bit of a weird one. Anyways, your help might well be needed.

« Reply #11529 on: April 07, 2020, 02:27:38 pm »
First day at new school. An entire floor dedicated to English, which includes:

- A mock dental clinic, complete with dentist chair
- A mock bakery
- A mock supermarket
- An English multimedia centre, with 14 computers
- A mock doctor's office
- A mock airport
- An English classroom with a large LED screen
- A mini library
- boardgames

... no whiteboard or blackboard.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11530 on: April 07, 2020, 02:34:25 pm »
what's up with mart loyalty points here? in the uk, by the end of the year, i'd get enough points for about 60-80 pound's worth of shopping. i've been shopping at the same mart here for 2 years and have points worth......... 3,000won. what's the point?

« Reply #11531 on: April 07, 2020, 02:36:11 pm »
what's up with mart loyalty points here? in the uk, by the end of the year, i'd get enough points for about 60-80 pound's worth of shopping. i've been shopping at the same mart here for 2 years and have points worth......... 3,000won. what's the point?

Happy points can add up quickly and I like using them, I can get a cake for free 2 or 3 times a year from points.

Hanaro Mart points are bad either, but they often just use them without asking me or they expire at some point, but I did get about 60,000 worth of groceries for free once.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #11532 on: April 07, 2020, 02:36:51 pm »
Never use my Emart points for that reson. It's exactly as you said.

CGV/CJ points are awesome though.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11533 on: April 07, 2020, 02:39:41 pm »
hm i lost my CJ card. never used it. gonna have to look into getting a new one. my wife gets great deals on her credit card too, but it seems the decent credit cards aren't available for foreigners (or are they? anyone know the good ones?)

« Reply #11534 on: April 07, 2020, 02:44:50 pm »
hm i lost my CJ card. never used it. gonna have to look into getting a new one. my wife gets great deals on her credit card too, but it seems the decent credit cards aren't available for foreigners (or are they? anyone know the good ones?)

I have a KEB bank Shopping+ credit card that I got based on my time with KEB (without Korean husband's help)  and my friend also has a KEB credit card....I have been in Korea for 5 years, married to a Korean, steady income and contracts to back it etc but was turned down by my bank of 5 years NH despite having a high balance, Shinhan, and KB .

« Reply #11535 on: April 07, 2020, 02:47:29 pm »

Mine's not super amazing, but I use the Hana #tag1 Orange card. I get about 25,000-30,000 worth of discounts a month from it. Better than nothing.

If you fly a lot, there are some really decent mileage cards for Asiana. But, uh. Nobody's flying anywhere now.

There are lots better cards out there, but I just haven't bothered to research enough to get one. But the good thing is, any of the banks will give you just about any card that they'd give to a normal person. It's Hyundai Card and Samsung Card (Hyundai in particular) that are super stingy with their cards. I applied for a certain Hyundai Card and even I got declined, despite being married to a national, having an F visa, having ten years of credit rating build up here, etc. Boo, Hyundai Card.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11536 on: April 07, 2020, 03:43:24 pm »
yeah i have a KEB credit card which basically offer nothing good. might look into samsung cards, if i can be arsed. feel i miss out on stuff by just using a debit card

« Reply #11537 on: April 08, 2020, 08:42:36 am »
yeah i have a KEB credit card which basically offer nothing good. might look into samsung cards, if i can be arsed. feel i miss out on stuff by just using a debit card

I mean it depends which KEB card you have. Each bank has a ton of different cards, ranging from non-existent benefits to reasonable decent.

But absolutely don't just use a check card. Although, that does get you a tiny bit higher percentage deduction for card expenditures on your yearly income tax when compared to using credit cards. But it's so minuscule.

My card, for example, if I spend more than 600,000 per month or more in the previous month, (which is pretty much guaranteed if it's your primary payment method for everything), gives me 10% off convenience stores, online shopping, and phone / internet bill, capped at 30,000 won total per month. If I only spend 400,000 the previous month, that discount is capped at 20,000 won. It's a nice, simple card, and 30,000 per month is kind of nice.  Also, no yearly fee, 'cause it's pretty basic. A lot of the airline mileage cards have fairly sizeable yearly fees.

If you shop at Costco a lot, the Costco Hyundai card is pretty decent. And I do know some expats have gotten it. But like I said before, Hyundai Card is awful as far as being really fussy about who can get their cards, so your results may vary.

If you drive a lot, there are some really decent cards for saving on gas.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #11538 on: April 08, 2020, 08:57:26 am »
Rant o' the day:

Online teaching is a lot less pleasant than in person teaching.

Want to flee Korea.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #11539 on: April 08, 2020, 09:06:26 am »
Doubt there are any school festivals planned for the immediate future.
Just took a gander at my school's schedule. They got a sports day planned (assuming we come back to school), and in the 2nd semester they have trips planned for all the grades.