Read 1872272 times

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11400 on: February 23, 2020, 08:35:46 am »
TWO LESSONS I LEARNED FROM OTHERS BEFORE I CAME IN 2002:

1. Decisions are announced at the last minute and it'll be "bali, bali" to get them done.

2. Foreign teachers will be the very last to be informed (even after students) and we will be actively left in the dark.

I wasn't sure to make of such advice, but it quickly became handy. Because I ACCEPTED it as a cultural quirk, i didn't get angry or flustered but instead LAUGHED! :)

WHY? I have no idea. But it IS how they are.

You must be tired, V.I....always patting yourself on the back must work up a sweat.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #11401 on: February 23, 2020, 09:34:02 pm »
Forgot my lunch again today and I'm stuck eating convenience store garbage.

Tempted to just trash it and try for something at my local Paris Baguette instead.

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #11402 on: February 23, 2020, 10:11:29 pm »
Paris baguette in France?? lol.
Do they know French bakers spend two days proofing their real croissants instead of PG's factory processed dry ones? I can't imagine a Frenchy eating anything from PG.
incumbo studiis

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #11403 on: February 23, 2020, 11:15:40 pm »
Do they know French bakers spend two days proofing their real croissants instead of PG's factory processed dry ones? I can't imagine a Frenchy eating anything from PG.
Expat Koreans are the target market, I imagine.

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #11404 on: February 24, 2020, 12:28:32 am »
 ;D

I wonder if they will sell those red bean buns there as well. I'd like to try one again.
incumbo studiis

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #11405 on: February 24, 2020, 08:03:24 am »

HaHaha, no, they sure didn't say anything about rice.  Can you just imagine, Paris Baguette trying to help impoverished countries?  Haha, that's rich.  It reminds me how over a few beers this weekend my friends and I were joking about "What if Nike tried to help end world hunger?" and one of my friends piped up (no names but he's a real card!)  with "Can you just imagine some POC standing there looking at a pile of shoes and sportswear thinking " Ah, excuse me, did anyone mention grain?"  It was a good evening.  But, I guess I just gifted another story line for the Mourning Clam.  You're welcome Jim!

« Reply #11406 on: February 24, 2020, 09:23:08 am »
At PB I think I can count on one hand the number of things that were decent.
That one ham and cheese and onion flat thing was ok, well until the price went up.
The turkey sandwich was decent, well until it was discontinued.
I think one of their doughnuts or fruit pies was okay in a "I need a quick fix and a step above CU stuff" sort of way.
And if you're in the stix a few items can be a relief but that's more change of pace than actual quality.

Other than that it is divided up into overpriced/uninspired/outright bad.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #11407 on: February 24, 2020, 01:11:32 pm »
That one ham and cheese and onion flat thing was ok, well until the price went up.
I think one of their doughnuts or fruit pies was okay in a "I need a quick fix and a step above CU stuff" sort of way.
And if you're in the stix a few items can be a relief but that's more change of pace than actual quality.

They dont set their menu to keep you happy.

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #11408 on: February 24, 2020, 01:16:12 pm »

The real question is how could each of those items you listed be improved?  :wink:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11409 on: February 24, 2020, 01:29:41 pm »

these are korean products for korean people. they are not targeted for your tastebuds so please keep your opinions to yourself

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #11410 on: February 24, 2020, 01:32:08 pm »
these are korean products for korean people. they are not targeted for your tastebuds so please keep your opinions to yourself

I agree that it does take a certain superior attitude and ego to say Paris Baguette isn't good just because you don't like it.  Welcome to the immigrant experience DMart. 

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11411 on: February 24, 2020, 01:43:44 pm »

Yeah, Paris Baguette opened a branch in Paris, France a while ago (already about 5.5 years ago).

« Reply #11412 on: February 24, 2020, 01:47:31 pm »
Bet that PB is completely different from the ones in Korea. France has a lot of strict laws regarding the quality of its food, especially baked goods, so you can trust that it's probably a proper French bakery over there, lol.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 01:49:11 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #11413 on: February 24, 2020, 01:58:52 pm »
I overate, and I'm super uncomfortable. I want to take a stroll through the school so that I can feel a little better, but I can't because they've got people in here doing stuff, and they're in the way.

And I'm mad that my gym is closed for a week. And my fingers smell weird.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #11414 on: February 24, 2020, 02:23:34 pm »
De Martino (today). Other than that it is divided up into overpriced/uninspired/outright bad.

De Martino (a couple of weeks ago) Again, we have the recurring trend that so many on this site seem to fall into- Just because YOU don't find it interesting or significant or great, doesn't mean it isn't.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 02:26:27 pm by stoat »

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #11415 on: February 25, 2020, 01:21:26 am »
Spot the difference:

Paris Baguette myeongdong
Mayo mayo more mayo sandwiches:

Paris Baguette Boulangerie Paris
France: All organic wholewheat bread and baguettes du fromage et quiches/ pizzas

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 01:27:04 am by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

« Reply #11416 on: February 25, 2020, 07:29:41 am »

:rolleyes:

They dont set their menu to keep you happy.

:laugh:

The real question is how could each of those items you listed be improved?  :wink:

I agree that it does take a certain superior attitude and ego to say Paris Baguette isn't good just because you don't like it.  Welcome to the immigrant experience DMart. 

Nothing better than a martin pile on.  You wrote your own TOS rules for 'opinion' posting and, quite rightly, there is a pile on when you don't adhere to your own rules.  Sounds kind of ignorant on your part.   :laugh:

« Reply #11417 on: February 25, 2020, 08:32:34 am »
:rolleyes:

Nothing better than a martin pile on.  You wrote your own TOS rules for 'opinion' posting and, quite rightly, there is a pile on when you don't adhere to your own rules.  Sounds kind of ignorant on your part.   :laugh:

I mean, to be fair, PB, even targeted at Korean tastes and preferences, still isn't particularly good. It's not awful, but it's not an upscale cafe or bakery or anything. It's a fast food bakery franchise that sells slightly overpriced pre-made baked goods, sandwiches, etc. Their main selling point isn't quality, it's convenience. I don't mind PB if I'm hungry and in a hurry. It's certainly not as bad as the Clam comic makes it out to be. But, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's good good.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #11418 on: February 25, 2020, 08:48:13 am »
I mean, to be fair, PB, even targeted at Korean tastes and preferences, still isn't particularly good. It's not awful, but it's not an upscale cafe or bakery or anything. It's a fast food bakery franchise that sells slightly overpriced pre-made baked goods, sandwiches, etc. Their main selling point isn't quality, it's convenience. I don't mind PB if I'm hungry and in a hurry. It's certainly not as bad as the Clam comic makes it out to be. But, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's good good.

You're missing the point.  I don't think anyone is saying it's good.  Pretty much the opposite.  The point is that DMart usually comes after people when they say something here is crap because, "how dare they assume it was marketed at them in the first place!" and this is just another symptom of his perceived westerner attitude of superiority in Korea.  Then, Dmart went and did the exact same thing.  It's the hypocrisy people are commenting on, rather than defending the goods from PB.  We all know it's fast food crap. 

« Reply #11419 on: February 25, 2020, 10:16:47 am »
PB is what it is, and I do like some things they sell there. I generally prefer Tous les Jours for desserts, though. It does pastry crusts and cakes better.