Read 1743524 times

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11360 on: February 05, 2020, 12:55:39 pm »
3) As others have said, it's not an outbreak in Korea. "I'm freaked out to share plates with my coworkers, so I'll skip the company dinner to go out for pizza and wings and a basket of fries with my friends and we'll get drunk and cheers each other and then try and hook up with a random stranger."

You had a go at someone recently for grouping all Koreans together and you're doing the exact same thing here.  How do you know she would do this?  Or do you just think all foreigners do this?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11361 on: February 05, 2020, 01:23:12 pm »
It's not a matter of wearing gloves. It's that there's never any hand soap or hot water in the toilet, which is filthy, and even if there were, hand washing isn't much of a thing here anyway.

I've said I'm rarely squeamish. I've eaten all this stuff. Not gotten sick. That doesn't make their cooking practices sanitary or hygienic.

omg I'm becoming one of you. OK, over n out.

i'm basing it off this quote
seen too many seollongtang cooks drop glass noodles in my soup by hand.

« Reply #11362 on: February 05, 2020, 01:27:00 pm »
3) As others have said, it's not an outbreak in Korea. "I'm freaked out to share plates with my coworkers, so I'll skip the company dinner to go out for pizza and wings and a basket of fries with my friends and we'll get drunk and cheers each other and then try and hook up with a random stranger."
You had a go at someone recently for grouping all Koreans together and you're doing the exact same thing here.  How do you know she would do this?  Or do you just think all foreigners do this?

Come on Fauntleroy, what have we said about picking apart martin's stupid stunted comparisons and blinkered, narrow view of what other people really do other than the strange people and the nonsense situations he invents in his head.  Just leave him be watching a baseball game on his phone in a restaurant with all his mates gathered around it, instead of, like, you know, talking to each other like what normal people do.

« Reply #11363 on: February 05, 2020, 02:22:00 pm »
Where did I lump all foreigners together?

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #11364 on: February 05, 2020, 02:40:31 pm »
Where did I lump all foreigners together?

« Reply #11365 on: February 05, 2020, 02:45:02 pm »
Wait, you're the guy who thinks Lolita is a work of erotic. fiction, right? What are you doing around children in the first place?
That's what literary critics categorize it as. It's a work of literary significance. That doesn't mean I like it or approve of it. That would be like saying because I categorize some work by Stephen King as "Horror" that I must therefore approve of killing people and I'm a danger. What a ridiculous argument.

Just leave him be watching a baseball game on his phone in a restaurant with all his mates gathered around it, instead of, like, you know, talking to each other like what normal people do.
Nothing says abnormal about a group of guys watching sports while eating and drinking. Also, you do realize it's baseball, right? The sport where you have plenty of time in between pitches to talk about things and breaks in between innings. You can also watch and talk at the same time. That's sort of how baseball works when it's on in countless barbershops and garages across America. There's a ballgame on and you're also getting your haircut. OMG, how can that be???

« Reply #11366 on: February 05, 2020, 02:48:51 pm »
Again, where does it say "foreigners" or "all foreigners"? It talks about a specific kind of person- The kind who freaks out about this stuff and then goes and does something that completely contradicts all of their concerns. Nowhere did I attribute this to all foreigners.

Most people here aren't freaked out to share a plate with their coworkers. Well, aside from their principal hugging them while talking to their face with soju and kimchi breath, but that's something else entirely.

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #11367 on: February 05, 2020, 02:56:13 pm »
Again, where does it say "foreigners" or "all foreigners"? It talks about a specific kind of person- The kind who freaks out about this stuff and then goes and does something that completely contradicts all of their concerns. Nowhere did I attribute this to all foreigners.

Most people here aren't freaked out to share a plate with their coworkers. Well, aside from their principal hugging them while talking to their face with soju and kimchi breath, but that's something else entirely.

But that's you just guessing again.  She's obviously concerned about sharing food during this virus scare so what makes you think she'd go and share food with her foreign friends?  Your post makes no sense at all.

« Reply #11368 on: February 05, 2020, 03:08:45 pm »
Nothing says abnormal about a group of guys watching sports while eating and drinking. Also, you do realize it's baseball, right? The sport where you have plenty of time in between pitches to talk about things and breaks in between innings. You can also watch and talk at the same time. That's sort of how baseball works when it's on in countless barbershops and garages across America. There's a ballgame on and you're also getting your haircut. OMG, how can that be???

What a rather strange rebuttal that seems to have conveniently missed the words 'on his phone'.  Sports? Drinking?  Eating?  Yes, of course, great fun.
 Huddled around a small phone?   :laugh:  You do realise that barbershops would have a tv?  You do realise that people would also watch sports in their garage (obviously an American thing) on a tv?   And as for explaining baseball as well?   :laugh:  Priceless...

« Reply #11369 on: February 06, 2020, 02:20:06 am »
What a rather strange rebuttal that seems to have conveniently missed the words 'on his phone'.  Sports? Drinking?  Eating?  Yes, of course, great fun.
 Huddled around a small phone?   :laugh:  You do realise that barbershops would have a tv?  You do realise that people would also watch sports in their garage (obviously an American thing) on a tv?   And as for explaining baseball as well?   :laugh:  Priceless...
It's 2020 Ronnie. People watch shit on their phone. Get with the times. You do realize that they make phones large enough that you can watch a ball game by putting a phone on the end of table and people can watch it, right?

I know in your head you think you're making some great point, but all this is doing is making you look like a dinosaur.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 02:32:18 am by Mr.DeMartino »

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #11370 on: February 08, 2020, 07:49:24 am »
Just saw this:

"I work for an after school company and the school I work at (not my company) informed me at the end of the day today that they are closing for the rest of the month due to the coronavirus. So, I won't be working for the next 4 weeks. That's a long time to not get paid for me."

If the school has no-one directly connected to the coronavirus, employees are entitled to 70% of their wages.

« Reply #11371 on: February 11, 2020, 10:45:31 am »
Had a really bad experience at a favorite local cafe last night, and now I'm feeling bummed about never going there again.

The quality of their coffee was starting to go to shit anyway, but I really liked their pastries. 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11372 on: February 11, 2020, 10:51:19 am »
Did they serve you your coffee cold, forcing you to flip your table and throw chairs through the windows?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #11373 on: February 11, 2020, 11:04:02 am »
Had a really bad experience at a favorite local cafe last night, and now I'm feeling bummed about never going there again.

The quality of their coffee was starting to go to shit anyway, but I really liked their pastries. 

Go on..............

« Reply #11374 on: February 11, 2020, 11:24:54 am »
Just racists being racists. I hadn't been to this particular cafe in a while, so the staff have all cycled out since the last time I was there, and the ones who're there now clearly have a problem with foreigners. Started off with a guy following me around the pastry shop which eventually escalated to him accusing me of damaging product, even though I hadn't touched a thing, and was trying to force me to buy said product. He made a big scene of it, but refused to go and review the CCTV footage (yes, the owner of this cafe has CCTV installed, it's in a rather large building and I guess she might have had some problems in the past, I don't know). He finally backed off when I told him that I was going to call the police so that we could review the CCTV footage together, and that I was going to file charges of harassment against him if it turns out he was wrong (which we both knew he was).

I've thought about going back to the cafe to lodge a complaint against this particular employee to the owner, but she isn't usually around. I don't even think she's in Korea atm.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #11375 on: February 13, 2020, 02:21:17 pm »
This is a bad meme and I'm seeing it EVERYWHERE. His last two movies are essentially English language movies with Hollywood casts, especially Okja which was produced by Plan B (Brad Pitt's production company) and Netflix for a cool 50 MILLION dollars.  Also, the interviewer specifically said "When you've had other films in English," prior to the quote in this meme.

Self hating Americans are the worst "OMG, aren't we, like, so ignorant?"  UGH

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 04:49:41 pm by kyndo »

« Reply #11376 on: February 13, 2020, 02:41:40 pm »
I saw this nugget make its way around the interwebs that day.

Miller later clarified that he meant Hollywood. Uhm...sure?
Now before everyone gets super political, yes he was on the right, but I follow a number of right-wing people on twitter, and a lot of them were quick to condemn him as well. He was also pretty much the only high-profile right-winger personality to make a stink over it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 04:50:28 pm by kyndo »

« Reply #11377 on: February 13, 2020, 02:47:49 pm »

Don't remind me, definitely some of the worst people in a lot of the other expat groups I'm in. They're so quick to hop on the anti-American bandwagon, and it's just so cringy. Even a lot of the expats living in America are like, "Wtf is wrong with these people? America has its problems, but it's NOTHING like these nuts are making it out to be."

And this is coming from some Dutch folk who LOVE to criticize anything and everything, lol.

It's like what can I say? You have edgelords in every bunch. Americans just tend to be some of the more outspoken ones.  :laugh:

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #11378 on: February 13, 2020, 02:49:49 pm »
This guys a real charmer. He can't believe Parasite won over............ Joker ( I like Joker, but it had as much a chance to win as FvF or Little Women did, bottom third).

The best part?

Quote "What is more important to our culture than The Joker, about a movie that talks about mental illness...about how people in high places look down and frown upon the poor, the poverty.......and how we need to take this more serious. BUT  NO, forget all these fu**in social problems Joker touched upon, let's have a better 'WOKE AGENDA."

Like, bro................ ........... You clearly, ONE HUNDRED percent have no idea what Parasite is about, nor have seen even the trailer for it.

Also, "Why should it be nommed in Best International Feature AND BEST PICTURE? They made a Best Animated Section for that reason."

Ugh, dude. Toy Story 3 and Up were both nommed for Best Picture. You dunce.

If you like to get riled up and indignant, watch this video. It's an absolute maddening trainwreck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTr6sYWWCNI
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 02:51:42 pm by CO2 »

« Reply #11379 on: February 13, 2020, 03:12:13 pm »

Are they really self-hating or just stupid?  Strikes me as something a MAGA hat-wearing dumbass would say.  Hollywood is amazing and we lost to some foreigner, how is that possible?  We're told daily how great we are.  Given 45% of the population probably would struggle to concentrate and follow subtitles as well, it's not entirely surprising.  Also, modern SNS gives people the idea that their stupid thoughts are worthy of sharing with others.