« Reply #11280 on: January 30, 2020, 03:20:05 pm »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11281 on: January 30, 2020, 03:51:56 pm »
I can't believe you wrote a whole essay defending watching people sloppily eating ramyeon tbh

Because he's a cultural relativist. In his mind no art form or culture can be objectively better than another. There's no intrinsic difference in quality between Sam Hammington sucking on a crab's leg and an episode of Seinfeld. They can only be described as different and not understood properly if you don't come from that culture. He tires to put this way of thinking across at every opportunity.   
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 04:08:57 pm by stoat »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #11282 on: January 30, 2020, 04:01:36 pm »
 :police: *an hour ago* Waygook had been quiet today.

Checks this thread now.

:huh: :huh: :huh:
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #11283 on: January 30, 2020, 05:57:48 pm »
Latest uni ad:

candidates should have 4 years of teaching experience at college or university levels with b.a. or 2 years of teaching experience with m.a. or ph.d. in english, education, or related fields

Can't get in unless you already have previous uni teaching experience. That sucks.

the nelwly appointed visiting professor is paid krw 1,985,200

How can a "professor" position pay so little?

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #11284 on: January 30, 2020, 06:29:42 pm »
Latest uni ad:

candidates should have 4 years of teaching experience at college or university levels with b.a. or 2 years of teaching experience with m.a. or ph.d. in english, education, or related fields

Can't get in unless you already have previous uni teaching experience. That sucks.

the nelwly appointed visiting professor is paid krw 1,985,200

How can a "professor" position pay so little?

Reminds me of the old Woody Allen joke

“There's an old joke - um... two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions."

If the salary is crap why are you complaining about the entry requirements?

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #11285 on: January 30, 2020, 07:50:55 pm »
1.985m KRW for a fecking MA and/or PhD holder...with zero job security.

Bye korea. It’s been real.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11286 on: January 30, 2020, 08:18:01 pm »
Reminds me of the old Woody Allen joke

“There's an old joke - um... two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions."

I wonder how many people apply. I've heard unis can get a hundred or two applicants

In fact, a friend of mine is doing an online masters just for the hopes of getting into a Korean uni. With no experience teaching adults, either.. :/

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #11287 on: January 31, 2020, 06:45:25 am »
1.985m KRW for a fecking MA and/or PhD holder...with zero job security.

Bye korea. It’s been real.

You'd be surprised how many people (foreigners) will actually defend it.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #11288 on: January 31, 2020, 09:12:19 am »

It's indicative of a larger overall trend of requiring more while compensating less.

This is a big city national university, too, not a small unknown crap college in the sticks.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #11289 on: January 31, 2020, 09:14:38 am »
If I pay for an MA (which is placing an order / the bill), I want to get large portions of delicious food.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #11290 on: January 31, 2020, 09:22:40 am »
If I pay for an MA (which is placing an order / the bill), I want to get large portions of delicious food.

Ok fair point, what was this uni anyway?

« Reply #11291 on: January 31, 2020, 11:33:39 am »
Because he's a cultural relativist. In his mind no art form or culture can be objectively better than another. There's no intrinsic difference in quality between Sam Hammington sucking on a crab's leg and an episode of Seinfeld. They can only be described as different and not understood properly if you don't come from that culture. He tires to put this way of thinking across at every opportunity.
Look, if you're going to compare things, at least compare things you are capable of understanding because you are fluent in the language and can pick up on any cultural references and such. If you aren't even fluent in the language, the criticism becomes a bit hollow because there's no getting around this- Part of it is based on ignorance.

As for cultural relativism vs. absolutism that the absolutists fail to acknowledge, is that this game can go on forever. Bash Kpop and point to some hipster band? Then someone will compare the hipster band to classic rock. Then someone will compare that to classical music. Or take Seinfeld, "TV is such lowbrow entertainment, why aren't you reading Moliere?" And I'm sure there's some snob out there who poo-poos Moliere. You know those types exist and how insufferable they are.

If I don't like something, I don't like something. I may have my opinions on high vs. low entertainment and what constitutes it, and whether I enjoy various incarnations of it, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape over it. I'm pretty sure everyone here has something exceedingly dumb that they enjoy and others dismiss. Heck, I enjoy watching 22 people bash themselves to a pulp while tossing around a ball. I enjoy seeing two human beings smash each other inside a metal cage. I enjoy watching cars go around in circles at high speeds. I enjoy watching 3 men hit each, poke, and smack each other and make various strange noises. I enjoy watching a cartoon mouse horribly brutalize a cartoon cat. I enjoy listening to a person suffering from mental illness imploring the listener to engage in acts of carnality with various bioforms over a synthesized track. I enjoy telling some 8-bit human caricature to jump at certain times on the heads of mycological animations and assorted testudines.

Who the eff am I to judge so harshly?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11292 on: January 31, 2020, 11:43:02 am »
I'm not going to get bent out of shape over it.
hmm

« Reply #11293 on: January 31, 2020, 11:50:01 am »
Forgot my lunch again today and I'm stuck eating convenience store garbage.

Tempted to just trash it and try for something at my local Paris Baguette instead.

« Reply #11294 on: January 31, 2020, 11:55:38 am »
but I'm not going to get bent out of shape over it.
hmm

:laugh:

Hmmm, indeed.  This is the same guy who was lecturing another person about 'letting it go', something he is clearly incapable of.

I'm not sure you need to be anything above basic level Korean to listen to Sam Hammington slurping on a crab claw and the dimwits in the studio saying '맛있겠다'.  All that involves is noises and a basic Korean phrase we hear 11 million times a day.  Culturally, we get it.  But it's totally on par with Seinfeld.  Knowing Martin's cultural dimwittery, surely he can see that Seinfeld is still considered a comedy great decades after it was shown, whereas I doubt in twenty years time people will still be remembering Sam Hammington slurping on his crab claw. 

« Reply #11295 on: January 31, 2020, 11:57:59 am »
Forgot my lunch again today and I'm stuck eating convenience store garbage.

Tempted to just trash it and try for something at my local Paris Baguette instead.
Some almonds, some dried mangoes and some dried prunes, and some jerky can work in a pinch. At least you wont feel heavy after lunch.

Or maybe it's a day to go raw! 1 whole zucchini and 1 whole carrot (or other vegetable of choice you can eat without condiments).

« Reply #11296 on: January 31, 2020, 12:04:09 pm »
Some almonds, some dried mangoes and some dried prunes, and some jerky can work in a pinch. At least you wont feel heavy after lunch.

Or maybe it's a day to go raw! 1 whole zucchini and 1 whole carrot (or other vegetable of choice you can eat without condiments).

Nuts and dried fruits are snacks for in between meals for me, I'll be hangry all day if that's all I eat for lunch, lol.

And I don't eat raw veggies from the market unless I've prepared them beforehand (i.e. scrubbed them down and peeled them). Plus, the ones near my school only sell them in bulk, and I don't want to buy 10 cucumbers for lunch, lmao.

I think I'm just gonna buy a chicken salad from PB (I don't really like the salads from there, but better than the crap I have right now), and maybe also buy a strawberry yogurt smoothie from this flower shop cafe I kind of like.

I was really looking forward to the lambchop and eggs I made this morning, though. :cry:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 12:06:39 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #11297 on: January 31, 2020, 12:17:07 pm »
Knowing Martin's cultural dimwittery, surely he can see that Seinfeld is still considered a comedy great decades after it was shown, whereas I doubt in twenty years time people will still be remembering Sam Hammington slurping on his crab claw. 
There's more to the show than just that. You guys do realize that the food is a semi-McGuffin for the TV personalities to talk and that what they talk about is the emphasis, right? I mean, they still do care about the food that's made, but the personality is a big part as well. It's not a pure comedy show. It's a personality show with comedic elements.

Look, I personally don't care for it, but I understand it's appeal. People want to see personalities they recognize go out and do things, often with other personalities. They then get to live vicariously through them or enjoy their banter. It provides a sense of togetherness and they get to share in an experience. The "humor" is "safe" and done to make people feel more comfortable with each other. These shows are designed to be familiar friends to the viewer. You don't have to like it, but if you can't even understand it, either linguistically or in terms of the content and its audience appeal, then maybe you shouldn't be so harsh in your criticism since it's based on ignorance.

Look, I loved Seinfeld. Heck my handle on Gorf's short-lived site was frickin JonVoight'sCar. But for many Americans, particularly in the African-American, Latino, and Rural communities, Seinfeld was a complete nonevent and non-funny. It was rather culturally dependent and it didn't translate to all people. Roc, A Different World, and In Living Color were complete non-events that many people in shall we say, non-POC communities "didn't get" and dismissed, despite their excellence. Now in both cases there were plenty of people who defied demography and crossed over, but there are blind spots and this assumption that YOUR norms and standards are the default ones and the ones that you get to judge others with is incomplete at best. Like, it's not baseless, but boy can it be partially blind.

As for absolute standards that might defy cultural context, surely you don't enjoy anything that someone else might look down on? Sports? 3 stooges? Video games? Fast cars? Rock music? Wouldn't you get tired of someone who went on a general music forum and spent their entire time bashing rock and talking about how people who liked it were stupid and how it was trash culture?

The "I'm not into it, therefore it's stupid" mentality is one of the worst, most childish out there.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 12:19:13 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #11298 on: January 31, 2020, 12:35:26 pm »
I'm not sure you need to be anything above basic level Korean to listen to Sam Hammington slurping on a crab claw and the dimwits in the studio saying '맛있겠다'.  All that involves is noises and a basic Korean phrase we hear 11 million times a day.  Culturally, we get it.  But it's totally on par with Seinfeld.  Knowing Martin's cultural dimwittery, surely he can see that Seinfeld is still considered a comedy great decades after it was shown, whereas I doubt in twenty years time people will still be remembering Sam Hammington slurping on his crab claw. 

This one?

https://youtu.be/L_wv8hNCYK0
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11299 on: January 31, 2020, 12:38:43 pm »