Read 1676512 times

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11260 on: January 26, 2020, 11:22:23 am »
There are some okay dramas. Most aren't my thing but a couple would be pretty alright. Perhaps not Golden Age of TV-level, but would certainly hold their own in the Early 2000s. Granted, not THAT many, but still.

Again, I think your already pre-existing at the least indifference and at the worst, disdain for Korean celebrities makes it hard for you to have any interest. These shows tend to be geared to audiences who know the actors involved and already have a hint as to their personality. Sort of like Hollywood Squares.

Anyways, hopefully you got to watch tennis or sports or something else. It wouldn't be my thing either to watch those shows for 8 hours. But just because you are on the outside and don't get it, doesn't make it dumb.
i don't know what hollywood squares is, but what i consider funny, and what korean tv deems to be funny, is vasty, vasty different. i only dislike these celebrities because they are not funny, not talented and not interesting. know what my wife is watching right now? a fat lady shopping for eggs and eating bread. this has been going on for over 15 minutes. are you trying to tell me that this tv isn't dumb? it's lowest common denominator bullshit. there's nothing to get. it's shit.

but it's ok to like shit tv. it's just that ALL korean tv is like this. there's no escape

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11261 on: January 26, 2020, 11:33:45 am »
now there's a 10 minute section watching them eat....kimchi, rice and samgyupsal. YES, GREAT WONDERFUL ENTERTAINMENT, THIS IS.

« Reply #11262 on: January 26, 2020, 12:48:19 pm »
i don't know what hollywood squares is, but what i consider funny, and what korean tv deems to be funny, is vasty, vasty different. i only dislike these celebrities because they are not funny, not talented and not interesting. know what my wife is watching right now? a fat lady shopping for eggs and eating bread. this has been going on for over 15 minutes. are you trying to tell me that this tv isn't dumb? it's lowest common denominator bullshit. there's nothing to get. it's shit.

but it's ok to like shit tv. it's just that ALL korean tv is like this. there's no escape
Do you know who the fat lady is? Why is she significant? Is she saying anything insightful? Have you asked your wife's opinion on what is being said?

You mean there are zero dramas, comedies, news shows, documentaries, shows about baduk or fishing, tech shows, cooking shows, fashion shows, arts and crafts shows, educational shows? I don't know about you, but when I watch Korean TV, I usually watch the Baduk channel or the fishing channel.

What you really mean is "The TV shows my wife likes to watch are these types of shows and I am unable to persuade her to change the channel. Therefore I'll externalize the blame to the Korean people for making such shows."

« Reply #11263 on: January 26, 2020, 12:49:54 pm »
Sidenote: Get yourself on Star Trek: Picard.
Kurtzman Trek? I'm wary, but I've heard not-awful things. I'm going to give it a couple weeks and if the buzz stays positive, I'll give it a whirl. If however it Discoveries itself, then I'll finally get around to starting up Babylon Five.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11264 on: January 26, 2020, 01:25:52 pm »
Do you know who the fat lady is? Why is she significant? Is she saying anything insightful? Have you asked your wife's opinion on what is being said?

You mean there are zero dramas, comedies, news shows, documentaries, shows about baduk or fishing, tech shows, cooking shows, fashion shows, arts and crafts shows, educational shows? I don't know about you, but when I watch Korean TV, I usually watch the Baduk channel or the fishing channel.

What you really mean is "The TV shows my wife likes to watch are these types of shows and I am unable to persuade her to change the channel. Therefore I'll externalize the blame to the Korean people for making such shows."
yes she's a "famous korean comedian" according to my wife. the bits that got the biggest laughs was when she went back for second helpings. it's funny because she's fat. and she wants to eat more food. then we got to watch her eat more food for a few more minutes. are you defending this? i can record it if you want, and you can break down the bits that are supposed to be entertaining

yes fishing is okay, but it's niche. anyway, i'm not talking about fishing. i'm talking about the mainstream tv shows. the ones that your average korean person watches. the ones that feature on those end of year entertainment award shows. complete dross. absolute, 100% shit.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11265 on: January 30, 2020, 01:33:57 pm »
can we stop ****** deleting comments on the job posts?

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #11266 on: January 30, 2020, 01:47:44 pm »
Admin is bought out....

« Reply #11267 on: January 30, 2020, 02:42:05 pm »
yes she's a "famous korean comedian" according to my wife. the bits that got the biggest laughs was when she went back for second helpings. it's funny because she's fat. and she wants to eat more food. then we got to watch her eat more food for a few more minutes. are you defending this?
I'm saying just because you don't get it, doesn't make it awful. You aren't the target demo and you unless you're perfectly fluent in Korean and also can pick out the cultural references and such, you probably are going to miss out on a lot of things. Think about 'Seinfeld' if you don't understand all the various points of manners, etiquette, pop-culture references, etc. the show wouldn't be nearly as funny. There's a reason that audiences of Hispanic and black and even rural white backgrounds didn't identify with the show to nearly the same degree as suburban and urban middle-upper class white audiences did. It was rather culturally dependent and many didn't "get" the show's style of humor (of course this was in general, not a rule). People who have a stronger degree of empathy will probably be more apt to appreciate humor and programming cross-culturally than those who are more technical or logical.

Heck back home, think of 'The View'. Now me personally, I find that show torturous and feel my brain rotting when I watch it. However, I understand that I'm not the target demo. I also understand what the point of the show is and why it discusses things in a style that doesn't appeal to me, but appeals to lots of other people. That doesn't mean the show is valueless or that they are the ones who are wrong. Viewers of that show have no obligation to defend it to me or to justify their enjoyment of it.

i'm talking about the mainstream tv shows. the ones that your average korean person watches. the ones that feature on those end of year entertainment award shows. complete dross. absolute, 100% shit.
Again, it seems more the issue is that you don't get to control what is on the TV and the fact that other people want to watch that instead of some sports or even some Korean-language fishing TV show or nature doc or whatever.

You can't change the channel. And you can't fight with your wife or relatives over it, so instead you direct your anger at the show itself. It's the show's fault you are subjected to it. You're angry at it for existing and at other people for watching it, but really, it's about you not having control over the remote.

I'd say do one of two things- Either blow up and really let lose on why you hate the show (sometimes blow ups work, they can see it REALLY bothers you) or maybe try and get across to your partner and your family how much it causes you discomfort to watch it with a serious sit down. Let your partner know that if you're going to watch TV together, that it is not an option. Keep it simple- "I don't like the humor and it makes me uncomfortable. Either we watch something else or I'm going to go into the other room and be on the computer."  But be really firm about this. If you're over at the relatives, same ultimatum- Find something else or I'll just play Switch or Pokemon cards with the kids in the other room.

And be proactive, search for some other kind of programming. Maybe a live classical concert. Maybe there's the odd Korean drama you might get into, you know one with a bunch of guns and crime, or put on OCN and watch some dumb Marvel movie (you want to talk mindless entertainment, Marvel crap is as bad as any K-Reality show), or a cooking show, or a home redecorating show, or a nature doc, or golf, or women's basketball, or something on the literally 500 other channels. Offer those as alternatives.

Or heck, just straight up walk out to "I'm going to go hit the gym." or walk the dog. Or go to the driving range. Generally speaking, wives won't gripe if you stomp out for the purposes of exercise.

« Reply #11268 on: January 30, 2020, 02:51:28 pm »
It sounds like you're watching 나 혼자 산다 and that 'fat comedian' is probably 나래.
That show gets played a lot at our house, and she's definitely my favourite on it. She's legit pretty funny. And her wetbar in her apartment is impressive. She's also legit a pretty good cook, and has actual good opinions on food, unlike a lot of people who just go somewhere famous.

I would never watch the show if I was on my own, but when my wife is watching it at home, I'll sit and watch if I'm not doing anything else. It's not great TV, but it's not nearly as horrible or stupid as you make it out to be.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11269 on: January 30, 2020, 02:53:38 pm »
I don't like Seinfeld but can appreciate it. Same with most TV shows, really. Even shite like Love Island. But watching someone disgustingly eat instant noodles for the, what millionth time, while repeatedly say 아 맛있겠다 (while chewing)? Don't forget this prime time tv, too

I don't watch TV generally, so I'm not sure why you're saying it's because I want control of the TV. Lol. But I do have to passively watch this hokum if I'm doing something else

I can't believe you wrote a whole essay defending watching people sloppily eating ramyeon tbh

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11270 on: January 30, 2020, 02:54:51 pm »
That show gets played a lot at our house, and she's definitely my favourite on it. She's legit pretty funny. And her wetbar in her apartment is impressive. She's also legit a pretty good cook, and has actual good opinions on food, unlike a lot of people who just go somewhere famous.

I would never watch the show if I was on my own, but when my wife is watching it at home, I'll sit and watch if I'm not doing anything else. It's not great TV, but it's not nearly as horrible or stupid as you make it out to be.
It could be one of a million shows, and one in a million talentless "comedians".

« Reply #11271 on: January 30, 2020, 02:55:51 pm »
I don't like Seinfeld but can appreciate it. Same with most TV shows, really. Even shite like Love Island. But watching someone disgustingly eat instant noodles for the, what millionth time, while repeatedly say 아 맛있겠다 (while chewing)? Don't forget this prime time tv, too

I don't watch TV generally, so I'm not sure why you're saying it's because I want control of the TV. Lol. But I do have to passively watch this hokum if I'm doing something else

I can't believe you wrote a whole essay defending watching people sloppily eating ramyeon tbh

You really have a thing about people eating noodles on TV, huh?

« Reply #11272 on: January 30, 2020, 02:57:18 pm »

she also has a netflix special. someone must think she's funny

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11273 on: January 30, 2020, 02:57:34 pm »
Because it's all they seem to do! I don't want to watch anyone chew on food while talking to be honest, bit that's all that ever happens. Sit around, eating while talking,while showing captions and the same dumb sfx and canned laughter over and over

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11274 on: January 30, 2020, 02:58:19 pm »
she also has a netflix special. someone must think she's funny
Is it something other than watching someone hoover or wash up the dishes? Because then FAIR ENOUGH

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11275 on: January 30, 2020, 02:59:11 pm »
Admin is bought out....
Keep seeing your comments getting delayed too. It's not like saying "no airfare?" is all that bad that it should get deleted...

« Reply #11276 on: January 30, 2020, 03:00:46 pm »
Is it something other than watching someone hoover or wash up the dishes? Because then FAIR ENOUGH
It's standup. I watched it. It was decent. Standup isn't really a thing in Korea (yes, I know it exists, but it's not nearly as familiar a format as in western countries)
I wouldn't call it good standup, but definitely a step in the right direction.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11277 on: January 30, 2020, 03:07:45 pm »
It's standup. I watched it. It was decent. Standup isn't really a thing in Korea (yes, I know it exists, but it's not nearly as familiar a format as in western countries)
I wouldn't call it good standup, but definitely a step in the right direction.
I'll check it out. Thanks

« Reply #11278 on: January 30, 2020, 03:11:09 pm »
I'll check it out. Thanks

I wouldn't recommend it.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11279 on: January 30, 2020, 03:12:44 pm »
I wouldn't recommend it.