Read 2011145 times

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11240 on: January 11, 2020, 06:36:58 pm »
Saturday night TV that the wife is watching: "Yoo Jae-seok cooks ramyeon for lots of people." Oh look, a grown man can crack an egg into a bowl.

Be like Ricky Gervais been filmed making beans on toast. "Oh no, he's burned the bread."

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #11241 on: January 11, 2020, 06:42:02 pm »
It's funny because if you ever do a lesson on table manners (I've done a few for students going to the UK) Koreans always swear blind that in Korean culture it's also bad manners to
1) eat with your mouth open
2) make a noise when you're eating
3) Talk with your mouth full. 

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #11242 on: January 12, 2020, 03:16:50 am »
Wow, Sam's gotten ttungttunghae!  ;D
incumbo studiis

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #11243 on: January 12, 2020, 07:04:13 am »
The sounds of eating?

ASMR 101.

That's so 2018.

• Datasapien
  • Expert Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #11244 on: January 20, 2020, 09:32:00 am »
Everytime I've checked the air quality in the UK, London is almost always green (there have been a few yellow patches in London here and there, but even then London is mostly green). Meanwhile in Korea, if it's yellow it's considered good  :cry:

Actually London is looking almost Korean today https://aqicn.org/city/london/
I never finish anyth

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #11245 on: January 22, 2020, 02:22:37 pm »
I thought toilets were supposed to contain the flush water with some room left over.  I am in the public library here and i flush the toilet before using just to check it works and get rid of some toilet paper that was in the toilet. Everything looked pretty normal. The water level was normal. The toilet ended up being blocked and the dirty water overflowed quite a lot all over the floor. It really overflowed for quite a while. I didn't really hang around to find out exactly how long. I guess when you walk in and see a wet floor with wet footprints everywhere it's a sign that something is wrong. 

Actually i went up and down all 5 floors to find an available toilet and it turned out to be blocked. Busy library. 

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11246 on: January 23, 2020, 10:03:58 am »
Oh man, do I have a story about a blocked, overflowing toilet here in Korea... Sadly for you, my pride prevents me from divulging the full details. I will share that I was in a public place, it was the dead of winter and the bathroom was typically freezing, and I was due to teach a class about an hour after the incident. Use your imagination to fill in the rest.

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #11247 on: January 23, 2020, 06:31:10 pm »
Oh man, do I have a story about a blocked, overflowing toilet here in Korea... Sadly for you, my pride prevents me from divulging the full details. I will share that I was in a public place, it was the dead of winter and the bathroom was typically freezing, and I was due to teach a class about an hour after the incident. Use your imagination to fill in the rest.

I could imagine. It's the stuff of recurring nightmares.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #11248 on: January 24, 2020, 08:34:07 am »
I work at many places so when the big holidays come, I usually receive several gifts. I appreciate the gesture and all, but now I have 3 boxes! of flavorless pears. That is 15 kilos.
Seriously, I really dislike Korean pears. They've got to be the most bland tasting fruit I've ever eaten.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 08:45:48 am by Lazio »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #11249 on: January 24, 2020, 09:03:39 am »
I work at many places so when the big holidays come, I usually receive several gifts. I appreciate the gesture and all, but now I have 3 boxes! of flavorless pears. That is 15 kilos.
Seriously, I really dislike Korean pears. They've got to be the most bland tasting fruit I've ever eaten.

Korean pears are BAE
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11250 on: January 24, 2020, 10:27:48 am »
korean pears are way better than shitty british pears (dunno if british pears are similar in other western countries). give em to me

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #11251 on: January 24, 2020, 10:36:08 am »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #11252 on: January 24, 2020, 12:48:42 pm »
Asian pears are much less juicy than the "pear-shaped" ones I'd had in Canada and America.

I cut up an Asian pear because I can only enjoy them in wedges. One pear lasts five or six snack moments.

The kind back home I always devoured in a minute, then had to wipe the juice off my face.

« Reply #11253 on: January 24, 2020, 02:07:48 pm »
Korean pears are BAE
Okay, if Sloppy Sam vids didn't get him banned, this should.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11254 on: January 24, 2020, 02:14:54 pm »
gotta spend the majority of the day at MIL's house today/tomorrow for seollal. gonna kill myself if i have to watch anymore korean tv. is there a single redeeming korean tv programme? how do people watch this shite? which part is supposed to be the entertaining part? the bit when we watch someone shopping for 15 minutes? the 8 replays of someone falling over? listening to someone eat instant noodles? watching a group of men trying to throw a shoe into a bucket (for some reason)? christ

« Reply #11255 on: January 24, 2020, 02:38:20 pm »
gotta spend the majority of the day at MIL's house today/tomorrow for seollal. gonna kill myself if i have to watch anymore korean tv. is there a single redeeming korean tv programme? how do people watch this shite? which part is supposed to be the entertaining part? the bit when we watch someone shopping for 15 minutes? the 8 replays of someone falling over? listening to someone eat instant noodles? watching a group of men trying to throw a shoe into a bucket (for some reason)? christ
Might help if you were fluent in the language. I mean, I'm sure it isn't Seinfeld, but it might seem a bit more meaningful if you know the language and the personalities involved. I mean, people would watch Adam Carolla, Jimmy Kimmel, and Norm MacDonald sit around throwing crap into a bucket and making jokes and eating pizza.

That being said, hopefully there's some Team Korea match in volleyball or whatever so they'll be cool with watching that or you can maybe throw on some Australian Open. Just because you can explain why people like something, doesn't mean there isn't some other shit I'd rather be watching. Either that or just find whoevers young kids and spend the time "teaching them English" by playing Nintendo Switch or Overwatch or whatever.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11256 on: January 24, 2020, 02:54:49 pm »
well i can pick up on a lot of it, and they usually have subtitles of what they say on screen anyway. besides, i've downloaded the tv shows and subtitles (english) before just to see if i was missing out on anything. it's just as lame and unfunny. probably more excruciating actually. ignorance is bliss i guess.

however you spin it, watching someone wash up, watching replays of someone falling over 8 times, or watching a grown man wearing a pink wig dancing, just isn't entertaining. fake reality tv just isn't entertaining. neither is the uk or usa fake reality tv, but at least there are decent programmes outside of that. there's just nothing of quality on korean tv. the mindset seems to be "how can we film the most amount of minutes with the least amount of effort and money?". but do that repeatedly for eternity.

actually there's one good tv show called 고양이를 부탁해 which features owners with cats that have some problem. and the host tries to get the cat to behave. pretty good. but that's cos i love cats

« Reply #11257 on: January 26, 2020, 05:52:25 am »
well i can pick up on a lot of it, and they usually have subtitles of what they say on screen anyway. besides, i've downloaded the tv shows and subtitles (english) before just to see if i was missing out on anything. it's just as lame and unfunny. probably more excruciating actually. ignorance is bliss i guess.

however you spin it, watching someone wash up, watching replays of someone falling over 8 times, or watching a grown man wearing a pink wig dancing, just isn't entertaining. fake reality tv just isn't entertaining. neither is the uk or usa fake reality tv, but at least there are decent programmes outside of that. there's just nothing of quality on korean tv. the mindset seems to be "how can we film the most amount of minutes with the least amount of effort and money?". but do that repeatedly for eternity.

actually there's one good tv show called 고양이를 부탁해 which features owners with cats that have some problem. and the host tries to get the cat to behave. pretty good. but that's cos i love cats
There are some okay dramas. Most aren't my thing but a couple would be pretty alright. Perhaps not Golden Age of TV-level, but would certainly hold their own in the Early 2000s. Granted, not THAT many, but still.

Again, I think your already pre-existing at the least indifference and at the worst, disdain for Korean celebrities makes it hard for you to have any interest. These shows tend to be geared to audiences who know the actors involved and already have a hint as to their personality. Sort of like Hollywood Squares.

Anyways, hopefully you got to watch tennis or sports or something else. It wouldn't be my thing either to watch those shows for 8 hours. But just because you are on the outside and don't get it, doesn't make it dumb.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #11258 on: January 26, 2020, 09:58:29 am »
Might help if you were fluent in the language. I mean, I'm sure it isn't Seinfeld, but it might seem a bit more meaningful if you know the language and the personalities involved. I mean, people would watch Adam Carolla, Jimmy Kimmel, and Norm MacDonald sit around throwing crap into a bucket and making jokes and eating pizza.

That being said, hopefully there's some Team Korea match in volleyball or whatever so they'll be cool with watching that or you can maybe throw on some Australian Open. Just because you can explain why people like something, doesn't mean there isn't some other shit I'd rather be watching. Either that or just find whoevers young kids and spend the time "teaching them English" by playing Nintendo Switch or Overwatch or whatever.

There are no personalities on Korean TV. It's either Yoo Jae-seok or Chef Baek over and over again. Then throw in 12 other "personalities" watching their unfunny moments.

Sidenote: Get yourself on Star Trek: Picard.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:01:34 am by Savant »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11259 on: January 26, 2020, 11:22:23 am »
There are some okay dramas. Most aren't my thing but a couple would be pretty alright. Perhaps not Golden Age of TV-level, but would certainly hold their own in the Early 2000s. Granted, not THAT many, but still.

Again, I think your already pre-existing at the least indifference and at the worst, disdain for Korean celebrities makes it hard for you to have any interest. These shows tend to be geared to audiences who know the actors involved and already have a hint as to their personality. Sort of like Hollywood Squares.

Anyways, hopefully you got to watch tennis or sports or something else. It wouldn't be my thing either to watch those shows for 8 hours. But just because you are on the outside and don't get it, doesn't make it dumb.
i don't know what hollywood squares is, but what i consider funny, and what korean tv deems to be funny, is vasty, vasty different. i only dislike these celebrities because they are not funny, not talented and not interesting. know what my wife is watching right now? a fat lady shopping for eggs and eating bread. this has been going on for over 15 minutes. are you trying to tell me that this tv isn't dumb? it's lowest common denominator bullshit. there's nothing to get. it's shit.

but it's ok to like shit tv. it's just that ALL korean tv is like this. there's no escape