Read 1811427 times

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11220 on: January 10, 2020, 01:42:16 pm »
There are so many variations in pollution aps though.  My ap now says 65 for 2.5 pollution. The other one says  132 for 2.5 pollution.  Which one is right? I live in Gwacheon.  I can usually tell by a visual check how bad it is. It says  yellow here today.  I do remember plenty of blue days too. 

« Reply #11221 on: January 10, 2020, 01:42:40 pm »
https://aqicn.org/city/seoul/

Yikes!  :huh:

Yep. And the BBC is posting articles like this about the air in London: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-50119981

Everytime I've checked the air quality in the UK, London is almost always green (there have been a few yellow patches in London here and there, but even then London is mostly green). Meanwhile in Korea, if it's yellow it's considered good  :cry:

I had to laugh at this bit...  :laugh:

In London, high-pollution days would see an extra 87 cardiac arrests per year, an extra 144 strokes, and 74 children and 33 adults ending up in hospital with asthma-related issues.

In Birmingham the figure would be 12 more out-of-hospital cardiac arrests, 27 additional admissions for stroke and 26 more for asthma.

Bristol, Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham, Oxford and Southampton would see between two and six more out-of-hospital heart attacks and up to 14 extra hospital admissions for both stroke and asthma.

Only in Derby would there be no apparent increase.

What does that say about Derby?   :laugh:  They're immune to pollution because it's already a crap hole full of mingers?  Maybe in Leeds, the life expectancy is longer from pollution, as it improves their lives.   :wink:  I will add that I lived in the High Peak which kind of divorced itself from Derbyshire yonks ago.   :laugh:

« Reply #11222 on: January 10, 2020, 01:55:22 pm »
There are so many variations in pollution aps though.  My ap now says 65 for 2.5 pollution. The other one says  132 for 2.5 pollution.  Which one is right? I live in Gwacheon.  I can usually tell by a visual check how bad it is. It says  yellow here today.  I do remember plenty of blue days too. 

I think you may be getting a little mixed up with the AQICN app, where 132 is the total of PM2.5+PM10+Ozone and some other things. Just the PM2.5 in Gwacheon is about 65, which is 30 above a safe level.  Still very very bad.

I usually use...

http://aqicn.org/city/korea/
https://tenki.jp/pm25/
https://search.naver.com/search.naver?where=nexearch&query=%EB%AF%B8%EC%84%B8%EB%A8%BC%EC%A7%80&sm=top_hty&fbm=1&ie=utf8

and my eyes. 

I trust AQICN more than the Korean one, and the Japanese one seems to follow the airflow rather than having sensors on the ground, but useful nonetheless. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11223 on: January 10, 2020, 09:29:21 pm »
imagine that every single day in the uk, there was a tv program (or programs) dedicated to watching people eat fish and chips. and every single episode, the "cast" and audience acted like it's the first time they've ever seen fish and chips, and that it's the most delicious thing they've ever eaten. every single day. and people actually tune in specifically to watch it.

• fka
  • Super Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11224 on: January 11, 2020, 08:47:27 am »

imagine that every single day in the uk, there was a tv program (or programs) dedicated to watching people eat fish and chips. and every single episode, the "cast" and audience acted like it's the first time they've ever seen fish and chips, and that it's the most delicious thing they've ever eaten. every single day. and people actually tune in specifically to watch it.

And then, when people weren't at home passively watching the TV, they used their commuting time to watch YouTube videos of people talking through mouthfuls of fish and chips.

• fka
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #11225 on: January 11, 2020, 08:55:57 am »
I was in Fukuoka for a few days last month and every time I turned on the hotel TV, there was some variation of that format (also popular in Korea) where the commentators live in a little box in the corner of the screen, often saying nothing, and eventually react to something completely mundane. There were only about 12 channels available, and at one point at least half of them had shows in this style.

Channel 1 - People sitting on a stage commenting on a video of someone eating noodles.
Channel 2 - People sitting on a stage commenting on a video of someone eating grilled fish.
Channel 3 - People sitting on a stage commenting on a video of someone walking around their apartment.
Channel 4 - People sitting on a stage commenting on a video of someone making a really basic dish like packaged udon.

And so on...

The most surreal moment came when there was a flashback to an earlier episode, and the guy in the corner of the screen was commenting on a video of himself sitting in the corner of the screen, commenting on some video.

« Reply #11226 on: January 11, 2020, 09:20:44 am »
I dunno, imagine if back home there were the same comedy shows endlessly mocking the President while the audience laughs and thinks its getting something done instead of them, I don't know actually doing something about it instead of laughing and having repeated candlelight vigils weekend after weekend to protest them eventually leading to their ouster.

You ever stop to think that their "mindless" noodle shows and lack of "sophisticated" political comedy shows are why they were actually able to get off their asses and make a real change instead of tweeting clips of Colbert and applauding themselves for how smart they are?

• fka
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #11227 on: January 11, 2020, 09:35:18 am »
Note to BBC Scotland: If you want to preserve the union, keep the fish and chips commentary shows locked in the vault. NEVER let that shit get on the air.

• fka
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #11228 on: January 11, 2020, 10:28:35 am »
Host: Let's welcome our celebrity guest panel to tonight's episode of Watching People Eat Fish and Chips. I'm your host, Jimmy Carr!
*Applause*

JC: Our first celebrity is a one-time Page 3 model who briefly dated the associate producer. It's Emily Essex! Next, you know her as Jade Goody's Niece - and so do we! *Laughter and applause* Our final guest needs no introduction, but I'm paid to be here so I'll do it anyway *Laughter* It's Kevin Nobody, a one-episode Love Island contestant and winner of last year's I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here! *Wild cheering*

Cut to Tony's Fish and Chips, Margate.

JC: Tonight we're going to follow Britain's funniest man, Jack Whitehall, as he samples some of the Sceptred Isle's finest food.

The panel shrinks into a small frame in the right-hand corner of the screen as Whitehall receives a plate of ordinary fish and chips.

Panel (in unison): Whooooaaaaoooohhhh. ...

JGN: So delicious.

KN: Amazing!

EE: I ain't never seen nuffin' like that before.

JC: That's what the photographer said during your last shoot.

*Laughter*

EE: What's he doing now?

Whitehall splashes vinegar on his chips

JGN: That's called vinegar. Malt vinegar, I think.

Panel: Ooooohhhhhh....

KN: I heard that it's really acidic.

JC: Can he eat it? Let's watch.

Extreme close-up on Whitehall grimacing as he realizes he's added too much vinegar.

Panel: HA HA HA! HA HA HA!

*BOING! BOING! BOING! BOING!*

Panel: HA HA HA HA!

KN: Again!

INSTANT REPLAY! BOING BOING BOING!

JGN: Amazing! But look, he's eating it!

EE: He is so strong!

KN: Jimmy, can you tell us more about this plate of fish and chips? Does it come from an old family recipe?

JC: Mm, according to the production notes the owner just buys everything frozen from a cash'n'carry.

Panel: Mmmmmmmmm...

EE: So delicious.

JGN: Hey, what's that green stuff? Now THAT looks interesting.

JC: Those are called peas - hey, has anyone noticed that chanting outside? Wait, the producers are squawking on my earpiece... Oh my god, there's a riotous mob outside. They've come to take down the British establishment. They're demanding the Queen's head on a pike!

EE: Oh my god! What do we do?

JGN: Ohmygodohmygodohmyg od...

KN: No! This can't be happening! I'm too important! I'm, I'm... I'm a celebrity - get me out of here!

Panel: HA HA HA!

*BOING BOING BOING!*

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 10:50:54 am by fka »

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #11229 on: January 11, 2020, 10:40:30 am »
I dunno, imagine if back home there were the same comedy shows endlessly mocking the President while the audience laughs and thinks its getting something done instead of them, I don't know actually doing something about it instead of laughing and having repeated candlelight vigils weekend after weekend to protest them eventually leading to their ouster.

You ever stop to think that their "mindless" noodle shows and lack of "sophisticated" political comedy shows are why they were actually able to get off their asses and make a real change instead of tweeting clips of Colbert and applauding themselves for how smart they are?

So, your logic is: Korean TV shows are so awful that protesting is the only alternative?

Perhaps, I should hold a candlelight vigil to protest against Chef Baek and Yu Jae-seok being on every crappy TV show.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #11230 on: January 11, 2020, 11:21:40 am »

What are you tossing on about? The US is a democracy, if people want to get rid of Trump they can vote him out. And what on earth is the link between crappy TV shows about food and political activism.

I do agree though that f-ck Trump comedy shows are usually about as entertaining as noodle slurping
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:28:47 am by stoat »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11231 on: January 11, 2020, 11:33:45 am »

you're doing it again.

i'm talking about the crappy, repetitive tv in korea and you're talking about politics for some reason. i'm not american so i have no idea what colburt is anyway

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #11232 on: January 11, 2020, 11:41:04 am »
How come you guys don't follow DM's flawless logic?
Korean noodle slurping television is actually great. It must be great since they were able to impeach their president with months long candlelight protests.
How can you not see the connection? It's clear as daylight.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #11233 on: January 11, 2020, 11:45:44 am »
레새 뭐 페르, 커나르드. 에스티 타베르낰 트루 드 볘르즈.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11234 on: January 11, 2020, 12:12:27 pm »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #11235 on: January 11, 2020, 12:17:10 pm »

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #11236 on: January 11, 2020, 12:19:29 pm »

you're doing it again.

i'm talking about the crappy, repetitive tv in korea and you're talking about politics for some reason. i'm not american so i have no idea what colburt is anyway

Stephen Colbert is the guy who mocked Bernie Sanders for saying this

"
“We have got to look at candidates not by the color of their skin, not by their sexual orientation or gender and not by their age. I think we have got to try to move us toward a nondiscriminatory society that looks at people based on their abilities, based on what they stand for."

So you can see where he is politically

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11237 on: January 11, 2020, 12:20:15 pm »
MODS BAN HIM. that's gotta break at least one rule. if not, let's make a new rule so this never gets posted again

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #11238 on: January 11, 2020, 12:21:44 pm »
MODS BAN HIM. that's gotta break at least one rule. if not, let's make a new rule so this never gets posted again
+1

• fka
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #11239 on: January 11, 2020, 02:50:27 pm »
Guys, a late night talk show host has a team of writers, sitting in a room and working to a tight deadline. The hosts probably don't even see their monologues until an hour before the cameras start rolling. The writing team has to reference whoever is in the news that day, and the nature of collective joke creation with a looming deadline makes for some terrible flops.

Sadly, we weren't all born with the singular comedic gifts of the "Too Spicy" guy from Korean television.