Read 1669584 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11200 on: January 09, 2020, 02:12:48 pm »

« Reply #11201 on: January 09, 2020, 02:14:26 pm »
Marmite is ace, love it.

w r o n g

If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #11202 on: January 09, 2020, 02:25:34 pm »
For the win.  Aristocrat's list really wasn't that outlandish.  A different kind of cheese?  He didn't force them to eat Casu Marzu. 
Exactly. The same people who won't try salami are the same people who will dip their samgyeopsal in salt at the bbq resto.

It's............... similar. Pork and salt.

OH NO, THAT LOOKS STRANGE. IT IS DRY SAUSAGE.

Just f'in take a bite, you don't have to love it, you don't have to buy it at Emart, just BLOODY TRY IT.

I'm not buying into this pandering to their little whims.  'I don't like doing this' 'tough shit'.  Life isn't fair, we don't get to pick and choose what we want to do all the time.   

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, soooo much agree.

You think I want to walk ten minutes with my duvet to clean it at the laundromat. I don't. But I do it anyway.

Half my camp today was making a 15 second commercial for 6 items I laid out (the other was making gingerbread houses). The groups picked an item and then made a 15 second commercial. It's dead simple. I gave them 15 mins to prepare it.

One group? 4 boys. They picked a snowman headband. What happens when I start roling?

:shocked: Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hh.

:huh: 뭐지?

:-[ *throws headband on the floor*

:laugh:

Like, FFS. Look, I will make a 15 second commercial in Korean right now. Here we go.

Boy approaches other boy.

>:( 오늘에 성탄절. 너의 옷 안예뻐

:cry: 그래요?

:afro: (Genie) *appears from off screen with headband* 이것! 크리스마스 머리 액세서리!

;D 와ㅏㅏㅏㅏ! 대박! 지금 나는 예뻐?

:-*  :shocked:  :smiley: 와! 뉴맨! 진짜 예뻐.

DONE. I just wrote that now. And I don't even care if you don't like the Korean, or if it's wrong. I've never studied in my life. It takes 2 mins of concerted effort to do this. It took me 30 seconds.

Stop fukcing around and do it. It takes NO WORK between 4 people to do this. Drives me up the wall.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 02:34:16 pm by CO2 »

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11203 on: January 09, 2020, 02:29:44 pm »
fair enough. i was fairly picky as a kid and would have definitely not wanted to try any different foods. what food did the kids get to try btw?

The lady who ran the event, the French teacher, had a list of countries to pick from.  It would vary each year so that we didn't have Mexico every year and someone bring in a can of tamales and be done with it.  The class i sponsored one year had Thailand, and a couple of Moms cooked up some spicy curries, and complained about how hard it is to find the ingredient lemongrass in semi-rural Georgia.  Another year we had Russia (or maybe it was CIS), and I know why they love vodka so much--it's the only thing that can get the taste of borscht out of your mouth.   Over the years, she put together sort of a manual, including suggested recipes--I'd love to have that.

I do remember that France and Spain (or colonies thereof) were always done because those were the foreign language offerings at the school.  So there would be paella and flan, mini-tortes and once I remember escargot.  A class did Korea at least once, and I recall the kimchi, but not beondegi.  There was possibly a no-insect rule instituted at some point ...

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #11204 on: January 09, 2020, 02:32:16 pm »
Kids be picky but sometimes works in your favour! Now you've got a load of tasty bread, good butter and cheese to take home and enjoy Aristocrat  ;D

When I was a youngen my parents gave my brothers and I a bunch of droŽwors (South African dried sausage)  to take to school to share with our classmates. They all turned their noses up at it from the way it looks, which made us very happy because then we got to scoff the whole lot ourselves !
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11205 on: January 09, 2020, 02:40:47 pm »
FID
Foreign Income Dividend?  Fur Is Dead? 
f**k it dude
Hey man, there's no need to spe--oh.  Nevermind.

« Reply #11206 on: January 09, 2020, 02:48:13 pm »
Marmite is ace, love it.

w r o n g

If loving you is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

(Loving marmite, however, is wrong and should feel bad.)

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #11207 on: January 09, 2020, 03:02:13 pm »
Thermite gives me explosive diarrhea. 

« Reply #11208 on: January 09, 2020, 03:14:05 pm »
80% can't be bothered trying something new, they'll go abroad and eat Korean food, they'll spend their holidays watching tv at home and eating chicken.  Then you get the 20% who try things at least once, travel abroad and experience new things.  Korean psyche isn't about being totally unique and different.  It's about the 'jeong' mentality.
Isn't that most people? I mean, how many people are hardcore into different things back home? There's a lot of American tourists who will stick mostly to what they know and might go local for foods they're familiar with, but they aren't ordering the Scungilli or the squid ink pasta. I think your average American and Korean are crossing over a lot when it comes to tourist food- Safe options that everyone around the world eats and established chains and then stuff that serves fare from their country of origin. Yeah, some of the extreme Ramen fools are pathetic, but not everyone is rolling that way.

Also, the degree to which some westerners try to be "unique and different" comes across as desperate at times. Not saying there aren't merits to it, but some people are trying too hard and it shows.   

Sitting around the TV eating poultry while watching a movie/sports on the TV during a holiday. NEVER seen that back home.  :rolleyes:

« Reply #11209 on: January 09, 2020, 03:15:47 pm »
Thermite gives me explosive diarrhea. 
Thermite diarrhea melted the porcelain of my toilet. The only difference was this demolition was uncontrolled. 

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #11210 on: January 09, 2020, 04:06:59 pm »
80% can't be bothered trying something new, they'll go abroad and eat Korean food, they'll spend their holidays watching tv at home and eating chicken.  Then you get the 20% who try things at least once, travel abroad and experience new things.  Korean psyche isn't about being totally unique and different.  It's about the 'jeong' mentality.
Isn't that most people? I mean, how many people are hardcore into different things back home? There's a lot of American tourists who will stick mostly to what they know and might go local for foods they're familiar with, but they aren't ordering the Scungilli or the squid ink pasta. I think your average American and Korean are crossing over a lot when it comes to tourist food- Safe options that everyone around the world eats and established chains and then stuff that serves fare from their country of origin. Yeah, some of the extreme Ramen fools are pathetic, but not everyone is rolling that way.

Also, the degree to which some westerners try to be "unique and different" comes across as desperate at times. Not saying there aren't merits to it, but some people are trying too hard and it shows.   

Sitting around the TV eating poultry while watching a movie/sports on the TV during a holiday. NEVER seen that back home.  :rolleyes:

There's a big difference between:

A - Putting in the effort to discover different foods, finding it, buying it, preparing it and eating it.

and

B - Someone putting something you've never tried before and will likely never try again in front of you and asking you to try it.

As C02 said "Just take a f*cking bite, you don't have to love it". If you're that risk averse or closed off, even as a kid, there's something wrong with you. For every kid who wants to eat nothing but ramen, there's going to be another who's like "Wow! what's that? Can I have some?"

As a kid, I remember a German student spending a 6 months at our school (her dad had some business for a few months). She brought some samples of foods from Germany and guess what, every damn kid tried it, that's a class of 30 students.
Here, 2 of 20 students tried the foreign food (not including the HR teacher who wasn't interested). You can't tell me that's a coincidence.

Other than that, even at 12, we realized that sampling the guest's cuisine was also the polite thing to do.

« Reply #11211 on: January 10, 2020, 06:50:26 am »
My coteachers probably think I'm rude because I refuse food that they eat in the office all the time.  But there are some things I can't bring myself to eat (I might have tried it before or I might not). 

The "You're an adult" works both ways.  Because I'm an adult does that mean I have to try everything that's put in front of me even if I don't want to?  Or because I'm an adult haven't I earned the right to make my own decisions lol.

If people think I'm rude for not wolfing down their cold rice cakes and gwamegi in the office then that's ok.

« Reply #11212 on: January 10, 2020, 07:17:20 am »
Does the pollution really depress anyone? This is my first year here and it's really getting to me emotionally. The air has barely been good since I got here (Aug), and it's just going to get worse in spring. I'm definitely not sticking around next year but I feel so depressed and trapped by the atmosphere. I've made plans to hike for 3 weeks in a row and had to cancel every time because of the air.
7 more months  :sad:

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #11213 on: January 10, 2020, 07:20:54 am »
My coteachers probably think I'm rude because I refuse food that they eat in the office all the time.  But there are some things I can't bring myself to eat (I might have tried it before or I might not). 

The "You're an adult" works both ways.  Because I'm an adult does that mean I have to try everything that's put in front of me even if I don't want to?  Or because I'm an adult haven't I earned the right to make my own decisions lol.

If people think I'm rude for not wolfing down their cold rice cakes and gwamegi in the office then that's ok.

I"m with you on that.

Of course, there is a polite way to go about it. 

Korea food is not that exotic or great.  Sure, some things are good....just, "good".  Bet hat as it may, being adult, you have the capacity and freedom to make up your own mind, to decide if you want to try the fish-poop soup the Korean teachers are slurping on. 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #11214 on: January 10, 2020, 08:13:34 am »
Marmite is ace, love it.

w r o n g

Marmite is f%^king disgusting. And that is putting it nicely. :p

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11215 on: January 10, 2020, 09:45:47 am »
Marmite is ace, love it.

w r o n g

Marmite ain't shyte! I mean, it might not be an absolute delight, but it's still quite alright.

« Reply #11216 on: January 10, 2020, 10:19:38 am »
Actually, VEGEMITE is better...but I'll go with Marmite in a pinch!

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #11217 on: January 10, 2020, 10:24:01 am »
Marmite is ace, love it.

w r o n g

You people have no soul, marmite is great.    :)
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #11218 on: January 10, 2020, 10:33:24 am »

Both taste like vomit. D:

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #11219 on: January 10, 2020, 10:58:16 am »

Both taste like vomit. D:

It's a love or hate thing. Personally, very few things are as sublime as a breakfast which includes Marmite spread over freshly buttered, crispy toast.
I tried Vegemite, it tastes like a crappy imitation of the real deal.

It's certainly divisive, but very iconic to British and South African food culture.