Read 1669639 times

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11160 on: January 07, 2020, 07:44:58 pm »
Wow...just...wow. 

https://www.eslrok.com/en/teach-in-korea/standard-single-jobs/ad/foreign-teacher-mokdong-seoul,9322

Another one that doesn't seem too bad unless I've missed a huge red flag?  Starts at 2.3 (could negotiate higher) plus housing but would definitely ask for more info about number of classes.

Pre-determined 10 vacation days was a red flag for me. I'd rather choose when to use my vacation time.
To be fair, almost every hagwon chooses when you can have vacation - and always has as far as I know

I have had two, in which I could choose my vacation.

The first, (back in the day), let us take our 5 working days whenever we wanted, as long as sufficient notice was given.  The school had three foreign teachers and plenty of Korean teachers, they would just combine the classes for week...(not that many kids).  So, if Joe-Shmoe wanted to take a week off in February, we all just combined the classes that made it all work...and it did.  There was no panic, there was no nonsense.....then again, we only closed for national holidays.  We did not follow suit like the other robots and take vacation when every other phucking school did. 

The second...well, when I was told I would not be able to take my 10 days until 10 days before the end of my contract, after making standing my ground  against that, I was "given" permission to take my 5 days in two different blocks.  However...as I realliy did like the school and the perks that came with it, I agreed to capitulate on 5 of those days and spread them out a bit, as i was the only teacher....

Hogwans are so ****** stupid...just let the teachers take the holiday when they want, combine the classes, have some work repared....

..not hard to do.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #11161 on: January 07, 2020, 07:47:41 pm »
Wow...just...wow. 

https://www.eslrok.com/en/teach-in-korea/standard-single-jobs/ad/foreign-teacher-mokdong-seoul,9322

Another one that doesn't seem too bad unless I've missed a huge red flag?  Starts at 2.3 (could negotiate higher) plus housing but would definitely ask for more info about number of classes.

It's in Mokdong (not cheap)

Yes, considering the school there will be 40 plus classes a week.

The working hours...1:45-10:15....for 2.3? 

Phuck that.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #11162 on: January 08, 2020, 07:49:45 am »
Wow...just...wow. 

Pre-determined 10 vacation days was a red flag for me. I'd rather choose when to use my vacation time.
To be fair, almost every hagwon chooses when you can have vacation - and always has as far as I know

In job ads, saying predetermined vacation time seems to be rare. I have heard many stories of it being like that but, until now, never seen a job ad showing that.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #11163 on: January 08, 2020, 09:28:55 am »
The heater I ordered back in october and tried to get refunded never arrived. The seller has now listed it as having been delivered, but it never arrived to me.
And cause it was an overseas seller, once they marked it as shipped, getting a refund wasn't possible. >.<

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11164 on: January 08, 2020, 09:32:15 am »
Wow...just...wow. 

In job ads, saying predetermined vacation time seems to be rare. I have heard many stories of it being like that but, until now, never seen a job ad showing that.
i would say predetermined vacation for teachers is true for most teachers around the world

• Colburnnn
  • Super Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11165 on: January 08, 2020, 11:19:17 am »
When you have 12 weeks off per year, you can find some time for a cheap week or 2 in those 12. When you have 2 weeks off per year (when everyone else in Korea is off) you are kinda screwed.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11166 on: January 08, 2020, 11:48:13 am »
And what's with EVERY business in Korea taking the same weeks off in summer and winter?

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11167 on: January 08, 2020, 11:53:14 am »
And what's with EVERY business in Korea taking the same weeks off in summer and winter?

When is that?

(Summer is late July to early August, but when in winter?)

Gotta know for vacation plans.

• Colburnnn
  • Super Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #11168 on: January 08, 2020, 11:56:40 am »
I'm British, where standard holiday is around 5 weeks per year I believe. I wouldn't even think of taking a job that only offered 2... Is it really the case that standard holiday in the US/Cananda/Aus/SA/NZ is 2?!

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #11169 on: January 08, 2020, 12:02:18 pm »
I'm British, where standard holiday is around 5 weeks per year I believe. I wouldn't even think of taking a job that only offered 2... Is it really the case that standard holiday in the US/Cananda/Aus/SA/NZ is 2?!

Standard in NZ is 4 weeks per year (about 20 working days) and they roll over to the next year if you don't use them.
Need to work 6 months before you can use them though.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11170 on: January 08, 2020, 12:03:00 pm »

When is that?

(Summer is late July to early August, but when in winter?)

Gotta know for vacation plans.
yeah just summer* sorry. wasn't thinking

colburnn: yes, but this isn't the uk

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
« Reply #11171 on: January 08, 2020, 03:06:27 pm »

In Canada its 2 weeks. I lucked out in one job and got 3 weeks.

« Reply #11172 on: January 08, 2020, 03:19:48 pm »

At my previous jobs in the USA (full time jobs) the vacation time was given after about 90 days if I remember correctly. You were not given time automatically, rather you gained about 2. something hours per pay period. A pay period was 2 weeks...so at the end of the pay period you could use or save your 2 hours.  The same for sick time. I guess it ended up totaling around 2 weeks per year.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #11173 on: January 08, 2020, 06:53:37 pm »

In Canada its 2 weeks. I lucked out in one job and got 3 weeks.
... to start.

Usually staying with the same company adds a day per year (or similar) up to 6~8 weeks.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #11174 on: January 09, 2020, 10:20:53 am »
Just did cooking day for camp. My CT and I decided toast, with different toppings, would be best. Yes, it's not the most creative, but for elementary school kids it's foolproof and relatively easy to clean up.

I brought a few things from home so the kids could sample different things; imported rye bread, different types of cheeses, decent butter, Marmite, baked beans, some Rooibos tea for after and even some peri-peri and chutney (had nothing to put it on, but brought it so they could taste it) etc.

It was pretty discouraging to see how apprehensive and averse the students were to trying anything new. They all just say there munching away at Spam and the most processed Lotte mart cheese you could imagine. The HR teacher came to "help" for the day and even she wasn't interested in sampling anything I brought. I told them these were from my home and some of the items were difficult to find outside South Africa or the UK, they'd likely never get the opportunity to try it again... no dice.

The only people who seemed to be raised with some manners were my CT and 2 girls who were courteous enough to sample a few of the things I brought. Incidentally, these 2 girls are the smartest students at camp.

Childhood was a long time ago, but I do remember seeing and reading that curiosity and the desire to try new things is a natural part of childhood. Sure, not all children are going to be so open, but when an entire class isn't interested in trying something new, that points to a possible problem.

« Reply #11175 on: January 09, 2020, 11:01:06 am »
Just did cooking day for camp. My CT and I decided toast, with different toppings, would be best. Yes, it's not the most creative, but for elementary school kids it's foolproof and relatively easy to clean up.

I brought a few things from home so the kids could sample different things; imported rye bread, different types of cheeses, decent butter, Marmite, baked beans, some Rooibos tea for after and even some peri-peri and chutney (had nothing to put it on, but brought it so they could taste it) etc.

It was pretty discouraging to see how apprehensive and averse the students were to trying anything new. They all just say there munching away at Spam and the most processed Lotte mart cheese you could imagine. The HR teacher came to "help" for the day and even she wasn't interested in sampling anything I brought. I told them these were from my home and some of the items were difficult to find outside South Africa or the UK, they'd likely never get the opportunity to try it again... no dice.

The only people who seemed to be raised with some manners were my CT and 2 girls who were courteous enough to sample a few of the things I brought. Incidentally, these 2 girls are the smartest students at camp.

Childhood was a long time ago, but I do remember seeing and reading that curiosity and the desire to try new things is a natural part of childhood. Sure, not all children are going to be so open, but when an entire class isn't interested in trying something new, that points to a possible problem.

yeah, but marmite is gross.

on a similar note though, i did cooking day yesterday and had bought guacamole for the students to have with the quesadillas we made. only like 4 students ended up trying it (to be fair, it did end up being pretty gross and i think maybe word got around super fast)

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #11176 on: January 09, 2020, 11:18:10 am »
Yeah, the stuff you brought is pretty normal. Like, you brought OTHER cheeses. If you brought something really out of left field.. like Marmite (which you did) then fine, I get it.

Spam? This salami is like that.

Cheese? This is LIKE that slice shit you're eating.

Chutney? It's jam.

Peri-peri? It's like a gochu-garu chicken.

This stuff is not like bringing anchovy pizza to a frat party. If they try it and don't like it, fine, I can respect that. But you're not even going to TRY salami? Jesus.

• Colburnnn
  • Super Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #11177 on: January 09, 2020, 11:21:32 am »
I did ice cream sundaes for camp (put loads of stuff in a ziplock bag and smash them together - build your sundae. (marshmellows, choco chips, digestives, one ice cream, choco sauce, sprinkles) thought it was fool proof as everyone likes these things. Nope. Too sweet, they wouldn't eat most of it.

Anyway, on the topic of Marmite. I hate the stuff, but I always bring a squeezy jar back from the UK each year for my UK culture class. Show an advert explaining the love it hate it divide, make 5 kids try it and decide if the class loves it or hates it. Goes down a right treat. Thinking of bringing over a couple of other controversial things this time, salad cream perhaps?

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #11178 on: January 09, 2020, 11:24:40 am »
It was pretty discouraging to see how apprehensive and averse the students were to trying anything new.

I agree Aristocat. I had a conversation with one of my students who went to the Philippines for 3 weeks to study English. Upon his return I asked him how he enjoyed Philippine food. His reply was, 'I don't know, I never ate any, I took my Korean food with me and what I didn't have the school supplied me with my Korean needs.'

Blows my mind.

I have Korean friends that visit me in the Philippines and they arrive with huge bags full of Korean noodles, rice (yes, they actually bring rice to the Philippines, talk about carrying coals to Newcastle) and of course huge amounts of kimchi which makes my fridge stink for weeks and of course as soon as they open a container of kimchi my house is infested with flies....ughh!!!
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11179 on: January 09, 2020, 11:47:35 am »
Must be a bit depressing when you put in a whole lot of effort and money to present new experiences and the kids refuse to get involved.  :sad:

On a happier note, one of my favourite camp lessons is about flavours.
 We talk about each flavour, and at the end of each I let them taste an example of it:

Sweet: a bunch of 마이쮸s.
Salty:  cheese doritos
...and here is where it gets fun (for me):
Umami: dollop of deonjang paste
Sour: a soju cup full of lemon/lime juice
Bitter: cacao nibs, or paper soju cup filled with the darkest black iced tea (poured from a 2 liter jug) I can make.
Spicy: Tabasco in a paper cup. (I used to do it with bread cubes soaked in capcisum sauce... ...until "the incident").

The kids really get excited about the samples, even though they know it'll probably be nasty.  :laugh: