Read 1669587 times

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11100 on: December 23, 2019, 06:29:18 pm »
My gf surprised me with some airpods for my birthday (this isn't the rant by the way haha).  I'd been using some cheap rip off ones from Electromart that worked ok but would regularly cut out and drop the signal depending on where my phone was or even if I turned my head.

Obviously over the moon to upgrade to airpods.  Turns out they actually perform on par or slightly worse than the Chinese knock offs!  If I'm not holding my phone directly in front of me then the sound cracks and cuts out.  Can't even carry my phone in my pocket because it just disrupts the signal.

I'm using an Android phone but surely I should be able to listen to music with my phone in my pocket.  Anyone else experience this?

I'm still using my Sony Walkman i didn't know earphones/buds/pods existed in Korea.

The last great thing Apple made was the iPod Shuffle and before they discontinued them in 2017, to encourage people to buy the ridiculous Apple watch, I bought 3 shuffles and use them as my music solution for gym and the track.

That explains it.  I have been on the lookout for a new shuffle and cannot find one, anywhere. 

I thought it was the perfect gym companion (aside from bouncing boobies on the treadmill, next to me).

...figures. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11101 on: December 23, 2019, 10:44:59 pm »
northstar. i have an ipod shuffle i bought years ago which has been sitting in my drawer doing nothing. i'm 90% it still works fine, so i'll check it does.. but i'll post it to you for free if you want it.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Mouseville
« Reply #11102 on: December 24, 2019, 07:20:29 am »
northstar. i have an ipod shuffle i bought years ago which has been sitting in my drawer doing nothing. i'm 90% it still works fine, so i'll check it does.. but i'll post it to you for free if you want it.

That is appreciated but not necessary. 

• Colburnnn
  • Super Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11103 on: December 24, 2019, 07:40:25 am »
I was on the fence about airpods for a long time, then my Mrs got me some for my birthday. Incredible. No problems at all. Perfect for bike rides/walking to school/watching the Premier League footy when she is sleeping at 2am.

If they are cutting out it means battery low, they shouldn't be cutting out with your phone in your pocket either.

« Reply #11104 on: December 24, 2019, 08:36:32 am »
I was on the fence about airpods for a long time, then my Mrs got me some for my birthday. Incredible. No problems at all. Perfect for bike rides/walking to school/watching the Premier League footy when she is sleeping at 2am.

If they are cutting out it means battery low, they shouldn't be cutting out with your phone in your pocket either.

Do you have an iphone or Android?  I wonder if that could be the difference.  I still get the problem even after they're fully charged.

Can anyone recommend any bluetooth headphones that are the same shape as the original airpods, ie ones that don't have the rubbery tip that go inside your ear.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #11105 on: December 24, 2019, 08:41:25 am »
Toxic smog is expected to blight Korea's Christmas, with fine-dust pollution at unhealthy levels over the festive season.

http://english.chosun.com/m/svc/article.html?contid=2019122301409

http://english.chosun.com/m/svc/article.html?contid=2019112601576

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11106 on: December 24, 2019, 09:06:05 am »
Higher temperatures mean air masses can be trapped over the Korean peninsula. As a result, weathermen warned of high levels of air pollution.

The National Institute of Environmental Research said fine dust levels are not caused by a single meteorological factor, so it is difficult to make predictions one or two months ahead, but if pollutant emissions both in Korea and overseas are similar to last year, smoggy days are likely to become more frequent.

Weathermen also forecast little snow this winter. Kim Dong-joon at the KMA said, "From a long-term perspective, the amount of snowfall is declining due to global warming."

___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ _____________

Turn down the heating temperature in your home and school to reduce global warming.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11107 on: December 24, 2019, 09:10:07 am »
Can anyone recommend any bluetooth headphones that are the same shape as the original airpods, ie ones that don't have the rubbery tip that go inside your ear.
    I do a lot of running, and always get snared up in wires, so I use bluetooth head phones quite a bit.
    I also find that in-ear buds are constantly falling out, especially after some sweating, so I'm a huge fan of bone-conduction head phones.
The latest models have active noise cancelling that can be turned on or off, which is great for both running (when you still need to hear oncoming cars etc) and for sitting on transit (where the noise cancelling function suppresses engine noises nearly entirely. Many of them are also water proof, so they're good for swimming too.
     I have AfterShokz Air, which aren't too ridiculously expensive, but if you want all the new functions and stuff, there are newer models that you can use while SCUBAing, and that can store several gigs of music in the device itself without any additional weight etc etc.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #11108 on: December 24, 2019, 09:58:11 am »
Someone at my MOE has no idea what's going on.

As part of my EPIK contract, I'm allowed 11 sick days per contract year and am required to submit a doctor's certificate should I take 3 or more days sick leave, in a row.

Since my contract renewed, in May, I've taken 3 sick days, all spaced out.

Last month, my CT got a call from the MOE saying that I've exceeded my sick leave and that I need to send a medical certificate. I explained that they'd made a mistake, I had a record of all my sick days and that you couldn't get a medical
certificate for being sick in the past. Apparently, she relayed the message.

Today, a different CT gives me exactly the same message.

Exactly what are these monkeys doing?

« Reply #11109 on: December 24, 2019, 10:11:38 am »
Lol yeah they're definitely wrong, you don't need a note for three days.  But yeah it's a bit worrying that it's the actual MOE that's asking for a note and not your coteachers  :huh:

• Colburnnn
  • Super Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11110 on: December 24, 2019, 10:15:33 am »
iPhone 6s. No problems whatsoever.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11111 on: December 24, 2019, 10:41:33 am »
why does every single tv advertisement in this country have to have

1. celebrity endorsement
2. a shit song and dance

« Reply #11112 on: December 24, 2019, 02:35:26 pm »
why does every single tv advertisement in this country have to have

1. celebrity endorsement
2. a shit song and dance

Whoa, wait.  You're telling me that Kim Tae Hee doesn't drink French Cafe Coffee mix? 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11113 on: December 27, 2019, 03:22:00 pm »
went to the MG insurance place today. ALL i wanted was to set up a direct debit (so i don't have to manually pay into it every month), figuring it would take maybe 3 minutes

i had to:
- delete my entire account with them and sign up again
- write/sign my name over 20 times (lost count at around 20)
- write my address over 7 times
- go back and forth to the ATM (for some reason they would only give/take cash)
- talk on the phone for 20 minutes, despite being in the actual MG branch
- the process took around 2.5 hours

wtf korea... why is ANY of this necessary? and all for the simplest of requests..

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11114 on: December 28, 2019, 03:35:12 pm »
"dealing with the japanese" and acting like an adult aren't mutually exclusive
Just because YOU think it's a trivial issue doesn't mean it is one. We have a multitude of various boycott novements going on around the world, some on far more trivial issues thsn the admittedly politically roused issue of wartime sexual slavery.

In 2015, Japan paid 1 billion and again apologized to South Korea in exchange for a promise for the issue never to be brought up again. Seems like it should be settled. But what if later some decide they want more money and more apologies? People have to keep giving money and apologies for something that happened long before they were born for the rest of eternity?

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Mouseville
« Reply #11115 on: December 28, 2019, 04:34:54 pm »
In 2015, Japan paid 1 billion and again apologized to South Korea in exchange for a promise for the issue never to be brought up again. Seems like it should be settled. But what if later some decide they want more money and more apologies? People have to keep giving money and apologies for something that happened long before they were born for the rest of eternity?

Agreed.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #11116 on: December 29, 2019, 01:20:05 pm »
That's the nature of hush money.

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #11117 on: December 30, 2019, 02:24:48 am »
People have to keep giving money and apologies for something that happened long before they were born for the rest of eternity?

Germany does it well, why can't the Japanese do it?
incumbo studiis

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #11118 on: December 30, 2019, 07:35:43 am »
People have to keep giving money and apologies for something that happened long before they were born for the rest of eternity?

Germany does it well, why can't the Japanese do it?
You hear this a lot. What people fail to understand is that what Germany has done post war is more or less unprecedented in human history. It is not common for the vanquished to repeatedly fall on their sword publicly offering these mea culpas at every turn. Japan isn't Germany. Surely you've lived in Korea long enough to understand that guilt, especially admission of guilt, remorse, forgiveness are seen in a completely different light in this part of the world. Also the denaizification process in Germany was far more thorough then what the Americans did in Japan. You can't leave large portions of the state apparatus in place and expect it to self correct itself completely.

The fact that Japan hasn't aggressively rearmed, has gone out of its way to be a model global citizen, has kept it's pacifist constitution and has by and large refrained from openly glorifying it's actions during its imperial phase, would be good enough in 99% of situations. But then Germany had to come along and perfect the "we were terrible people, we did terrible things, there is no excuse for it" show (and i don't mean that in a pejorative sense at all) and made Japan look like remorseless animals.

I'm well aware 50,000 American military being stationed in Japan since occupation ended has been a big motivating factor for Japan not to act like pricks again, but the fact remains.

Kpip! - Martin 2018

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11119 on: December 30, 2019, 07:55:35 am »
You hear this a lot. What people fail to understand is that what Germany has done post war is more or less unprecedented in human history. It is not common for the vanquished to repeatedly fall on their sword publicly offering these mea culpas at every turn. Japan isn't Germany. Surely you've lived in Korea long enough to understand that guilt, especially admission of guilt, remorse, forgiveness are seen in a completely different light in this part of the world. Also the denaizification process in Germany was far more thorough then what the Americans did in Japan. You can't leave large portions of the state apparatus in place and expect it to self correct itself completely.

The fact that Japan hasn't aggressively rearmed, has gone out of its way to be a model global citizen, has kept it's pacifist constitution and has by and large refrained from openly glorifying it's actions during its imperial phase, would be good enough in 99% of situations. But then Germany had to come along and perfect the "we were terrible people, we did terrible things, there is no excuse for it" show (and i don't mean that in a pejorative sense at all) and made Japan look like remorseless animals.

I'm well aware 50,000 American military being stationed in Japan since occupation ended has been a big motivating factor for Japan not to act like pricks again, but the fact remains.

Some good points.
    But I'd like to point out that while some people might consider Germany's contrition to be excessive, the sincere abhorrence of their own past has allowed Germany to reemerge as one of the preeminent nations - economically as well as culturally - in their area.   Germany's contrition has essentially allowed them to orchestrate an economic Blitzkrieg of all their neighbours... with Europe's blessing. Japan was by far the most powerful post-war Asian economy, and it was only the deep mistrust and dislike by... well... everyone that prevented them from leveraging that huge advantage to a powerful tool for regional dominance.