Read 2469434 times

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11060 on: December 05, 2019, 12:34:59 pm »
A lot of the kids here don't know that maple syrup is derived from tree sap.

Whenever I'm teaching very small classes (1-3 students), I let them try authentic maple syrup from my personal stash.

If I don't tell them where it comes from before they try it, they generally like it, although they might complain about it being too sweet (nevermind the fact that they eat foods far sweeter, but the first impression about foods you're not familiar with is always stronger than it is for foods you are familiar with).

If I do tell them before they try it, they say they don't like it because they say it tastes like tree sap.

lmao
"western food is so salty"

eats:
ramyeon
soy sauce
pure salt dip with bbq
kimchi
anchovies
된장

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #11061 on: December 05, 2019, 12:52:33 pm »
honestly, the reason i've been here so long is because england is...worse

You mean financially, opportunity-wise, culturally or some other reason?
well, i'm currently in a job i like, earning a very decent amount of money (with decent hours), in a new apartment which doesn't cost me much per month, while living right in the centre of seoul

i know i wouldn't be able to achieve even half of those things in the uk. plus, it's very difficult to bring my wife back to the uk anyway (which generally pisses me off). not that i really know what i'd do in the uk, besides.

i miss the culture though. and my friends :(

I know a British guy who left a few years ago and it took him 2.5 years to get his wife a visa to be able to come over. That's insane. I'm sure there is immigration fraud and fake marriages, but is it really to the degree where you are waiting years for it to get through. And thousands of pounds. His wife was Vietnamese, so maybe that makes the process longer than it would be for a Korean spouse? Either way, shithouse.

There was a story in NZ about a year ago. A guy married to a Chinese lady, they had been married for around 9 or 10 years, and just had their 2nd child together, decided to move to the guys home country (nz), but the children and his wife, were basically told to go back to China, cause their marriage could be fake or whatever. Basically, they were told the same thing, to now wait about 2 - 2.5 years before the wife and children could enter the country.
Forgot what happened in the end though.

• stoat
  • The Legend

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #11062 on: December 05, 2019, 12:55:05 pm »

eats:
ramyeon
soy sauce
pure salt dip with bbq
kimchi
anchovies
된장

The Korean logic behind this is that these foods are always eaten together with a big bowl of rice which you can have more or less of to get the right balance. However if you get served a plate of spaghetti in a salty sauce, for example, you don't have that option. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11063 on: December 05, 2019, 01:29:56 pm »
so that's the logic, is it. i wonder how much salt koreans consume on avereage compared to other nations

• tylerthegloob
  • The Legend

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #11064 on: December 05, 2019, 01:48:45 pm »
so that's the logic, is it. i wonder how much salt koreans consume on avereage compared to other nations

iirc korean/japanese/chinese consumption of sodium is super high
more gg more skill

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11065 on: December 05, 2019, 04:45:48 pm »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11066 on: December 05, 2019, 05:29:34 pm »
tf is going on in kazakhstan

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #11067 on: December 05, 2019, 05:57:37 pm »
tf is going on in kazakhstan
I thought they were into Potassium, not sodium!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:31:53 am by JNM »

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #11068 on: December 05, 2019, 09:37:42 pm »

eats:
ramyeon
soy sauce
pure salt dip with bbq
kimchi
anchovies
된장

The Korean logic behind this is that these foods are always eaten together with a big bowl of rice which you can have more or less of to get the right balance. However if you get served a plate of spaghetti in a salty sauce, for example, you don't have that option. 

+ they use a lot of sugar and other sweeteners in almost all dishes. So the sweet taste kind of covers the saltiness.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #11069 on: December 06, 2019, 07:34:27 am »

All the countries with high salt content, also have high stomach cancer rates. Mongolia, the Central Asia stans, S Korea and Japan, China, all feature high on that list.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #11070 on: December 10, 2019, 03:14:06 pm »

« Reply #11071 on: December 11, 2019, 02:01:18 pm »
I had to rewrite all of my afterschool attendance log and plans in the after school book because they can't all be in the same ink color......each day needs a different color.......

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #11072 on: December 11, 2019, 05:37:01 pm »
I had to rewrite all of my afterschool attendance log and plans in the after school book because they can't all be in the same ink color......each day needs a different color.......
Can you alternate, or do you need [number of days in the school year] different colour pens?

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #11073 on: December 11, 2019, 06:50:07 pm »
use highlighters instead?
incumbo studiis

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
« Reply #11074 on: December 13, 2019, 02:46:31 pm »
So a shitstorm that's been brewing for a few months has finally made landfall. I didn't expect it to hit until next year, but I didn't factor in possible mental illness, so now I'm just sitting here, doing my best not to say "I told you so" because I don't have any advise left to give and it's kind of too late for that now anyway, lol.

Read the warnings signs, people, stop underestimating crazy. You'll always get blindsided.

Meanwhile, I'm just trying to do my best not to get dragged into it.  But I feel like it's going to happen because of course it will.
Some context would be nice :laugh:

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #11075 on: December 13, 2019, 03:01:50 pm »
So a shitstorm that's been brewing for a few months has finally made landfall. I didn't expect it to hit until next year, but I didn't factor in possible mental illness, so now I'm just sitting here, doing my best not to say "I told you so" because I don't have any advise left to give and it's kind of too late for that now anyway, lol.

Read the warnings signs, people, stop underestimating crazy. You'll always get blindsided.

Meanwhile, I'm just trying to do my best not to get dragged into it.  But I feel like it's going to happen because of course it will.
Some context would be nice :laugh:

Right! This is the equivalent of vaguebooking
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 03:23:42 pm by chimp »
oo oo ahh ahh

« Reply #11076 on: December 17, 2019, 02:37:37 pm »
The ONE time I sing along with music while working on materials, a guy is scheduled to wander into my classroom to perform maintenance on the heater.

« Reply #11077 on: December 20, 2019, 07:00:53 am »
This has been annoying me for a while.  About four years ago in my city, there was a lovely natural area around the mountain.  At the foot of the mountain, someone got permission to build a big area of detached houses with gardens etc, and they would have cost around 5-6억.  All the plans looked nice.  So they went about clearing this area of trees and everything to do with nature.  Took about 6 months to flatten the whole area.  Kind of annoying, really.  Then nothing happened for a year.  I notice all this, as I was hiking here almost every day so can see how it's going.  Then they spent six months putting in roads and street lights, traffic lights, sewage pipes and stuff.  Okay.  Then nothing happened for another year which strange at the time.   Then they did a couple of months of tidying up, as it had got overgrown a bit.  Then nothing, which brings us up to now.  When I was talking to my co-teacher last week, she said that the company had gone bust and nothing will happen with this area.  So it's just going to sit there, with streets, lights, and no fooking houses when previously it had been a lovely natural area at the foot of the mountain.  Why not make sure a company can see through a project like this before letting them flatten the area and cut down the trees?  I know there is the stupid thing here of selling the houses before they build them, but surely you can make sure they're not going to go bust and ruin the area. If it was some crappy brownfield site, then i don't care.  But don't hit the natural bits.   

« Reply #11078 on: December 20, 2019, 07:41:00 am »
This has been annoying me for a while.  About four years ago in my city, there was a lovely natural area around the mountain.  At the foot of the mountain, someone got permission to build a big area of detached houses with gardens etc, and they would have cost around 5-6억.  All the plans looked nice.  So they went about clearing this area of trees and everything to do with nature.  Took about 6 months to flatten the whole area.  Kind of annoying, really.  Then nothing happened for a year.  I notice all this, as I was hiking here almost every day so can see how it's going.  Then they spent six months putting in roads and street lights, traffic lights, sewage pipes and stuff.  Okay.  Then nothing happened for another year which strange at the time.   Then they did a couple of months of tidying up, as it had got overgrown a bit.  Then nothing, which brings us up to now.  When I was talking to my co-teacher last week, she said that the company had gone bust and nothing will happen with this area.  So it's just going to sit there, with streets, lights, and no fooking houses when previously it had been a lovely natural area at the foot of the mountain.  Why not make sure a company can see through a project like this before letting them flatten the area and cut down the trees?  I know there is the stupid thing here of selling the houses before they build them, but surely you can make sure they're not going to go bust and ruin the area. If it was some crappy brownfield site, then i don't care.  But don't hit the natural bits.   

This is really annoying. And it happens ALL over rural Korea. And urban Korea, too, but just not as noticeably. There are tons of cleared out areas where there's a bunch of unfinished construction just left by a company that went bankrupt and couldn't finish the project. It's an eyesore, it's bad for the environment, and it's completely irresponsible.

« Reply #11079 on: December 20, 2019, 08:40:01 am »
Yeah, a similar thing happened near where I live. Beautiful area mowed down, then abandoned after on/off construction that was never completed. Had one of those ugly giant walls that are meant to hide everything for the longest time before it was removed to show off giant dirt mounds.

It was eventually turned into one of those small farming plots that people can rent to grow things in, so it looks nice enough during the Summer but looks like a dump any other time of the year.