Read 1736819 times

• Colburnnn
  • Super Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11060 on: December 05, 2019, 10:39:57 am »
One of my best mates is married to an American girl. Should have seen the stack of papers he had to send.

I hear it is streamlined to a a certain extent these days, so long as you meet the checklist. 18.6k/62.5K, place to live, etc etc... I'll be doing it in the near future with my wife, but it certainly is an expensive sausage roll!

• fka
  • Super Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11061 on: December 05, 2019, 10:44:50 am »
Takes 2-12 weeks according to this.

https://www.visalogic.net/uk/uk-spouse-visa/4/103

I'm not sure why the info isn't more up to date, but the most recent published stats suggest an average wait time of 123 days from the application date for people applying outside the UK and 211 for those already in the country, extending their stay as a partner of a UK citizen or permanent resident:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/average-processing-times-for-set-o-set-m-eea3-applications-spouse-visa-tier-1-and-tier-2-visa-extension-and-nationality-applications/average-processing-times-for-set-o-set-m-eea3-applications-spouse-visa-tier-1-and-tier-2-visa-extension-and-nationality-applications

It could be faster now but that seems unlikely (considering the stricter rules and consistent application numbers). Anyway, it's not the waiting period from the date of the application submission that takes forever, it's collecting all the paperwork and making sure that it matches the requirements that takes forever. And there are various ways that you can fall into a trap on the minimum income requirements - like one of you hasn't worked for a few months before your application, even though you've been working consistently for years prior. Or you could find that, because of an exchange rate fluctuation, you qualified last week but this week you don't. That kind of thing is surely more exception than rule, but it has happened to people who did their best to play by the rules.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 11:11:08 am by fka »

• fka
  • Super Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11062 on: December 05, 2019, 10:49:15 am »
One of my best mates is married to an American girl. Should have seen the stack of papers he had to send.

I hear it is streamlined to a a certain extent these days, so long as you meet the checklist. 18.6k/62.5K, place to live, etc etc... I'll be doing it in the near future with my wife, but it certainly is an expensive sausage roll!

One of the advantages of the US green card system, though, is that the document submissions and payments are spaced out, so if something goes wrong at one stage you have a chance to rectify it before moving forward. I could be wrong, but insofar as I understand the UK version, you submit everything in one go, gambling a small fortune on its success. Plus, a green card lasts for 10 years before your next check-in. In the UK I think it's 2.5 before you have to submit another pile of paperwork and an extra 500 quid.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #11063 on: December 05, 2019, 11:28:27 am »
Great. We've gone from Let it Go, to AAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY-OH to

Whatever the hell that new frozen song is.

Aahahhhaaahhahaaaha ahhhhhhhhh

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #11064 on: December 05, 2019, 11:52:15 am »
Christ, am I the only British person here who actually likes England haha?!!  :laugh:

You're confusing your feelings for England with your love for Greggs. 

I could murder a sausage roll to be honest.

My Pops is coming over for Christmas, so my brothers and sisters asked if there was anything I wanted him to bring and all I've said so far is mince pies and crackers.  That's it. 

EMart has Waitrose baked beans and canned peas and some HomePlus locations still carry HP sauce.  You're spoiled for choice.  The only Canadian product I ever see here is maple syrup. 

« Reply #11065 on: December 05, 2019, 12:05:13 pm »
Christ, am I the only British person here who actually likes England haha?!!  :laugh:

You're confusing your feelings for England with your love for Greggs. 

I could murder a sausage roll to be honest.

My Pops is coming over for Christmas, so my brothers and sisters asked if there was anything I wanted him to bring and all I've said so far is mince pies and crackers.  That's it. 

EMart has Waitrose baked beans and canned peas and some HomePlus locations still carry HP sauce.  You're spoiled for choice.  The only Canadian product I ever see here is maple syrup. 

Bummer about the maple syrup.  >:(  The Waitrose bit is good.  I always pick up a couple of boxes of the Waitrose Raisan Bran Flakes (not sweetened like the Kelloggs version) and the spaghetti hoops when I'm in Yongsan.  Just fancy some mince pies and Christmas crackers.  Christmas lunch just isn't the same without wearing a cheap paper hat and telling a crap joke.

« Reply #11066 on: December 05, 2019, 12:11:49 pm »
A lot of the kids here don't know that maple syrup is derived from tree sap.

Whenever I'm teaching very small classes (1-3 students), I let them try authentic maple syrup from my personal stash.

If I don't tell them where it comes from before they try it, they generally like it, although they might complain about it being too sweet (nevermind the fact that they eat foods far sweeter, but the first impression about foods you're not familiar with is always stronger than it is for foods you are familiar with).

If I do tell them before they try it, they say they don't like it because they say it tastes like tree sap.

lmao

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11067 on: December 05, 2019, 12:34:59 pm »
A lot of the kids here don't know that maple syrup is derived from tree sap.

Whenever I'm teaching very small classes (1-3 students), I let them try authentic maple syrup from my personal stash.

If I don't tell them where it comes from before they try it, they generally like it, although they might complain about it being too sweet (nevermind the fact that they eat foods far sweeter, but the first impression about foods you're not familiar with is always stronger than it is for foods you are familiar with).

If I do tell them before they try it, they say they don't like it because they say it tastes like tree sap.

lmao
"western food is so salty"

eats:
ramyeon
soy sauce
pure salt dip with bbq
kimchi
anchovies
된장

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #11068 on: December 05, 2019, 12:52:33 pm »
honestly, the reason i've been here so long is because england is...worse

You mean financially, opportunity-wise, culturally or some other reason?
well, i'm currently in a job i like, earning a very decent amount of money (with decent hours), in a new apartment which doesn't cost me much per month, while living right in the centre of seoul

i know i wouldn't be able to achieve even half of those things in the uk. plus, it's very difficult to bring my wife back to the uk anyway (which generally pisses me off). not that i really know what i'd do in the uk, besides.

i miss the culture though. and my friends :(

I know a British guy who left a few years ago and it took him 2.5 years to get his wife a visa to be able to come over. That's insane. I'm sure there is immigration fraud and fake marriages, but is it really to the degree where you are waiting years for it to get through. And thousands of pounds. His wife was Vietnamese, so maybe that makes the process longer than it would be for a Korean spouse? Either way, shithouse.

There was a story in NZ about a year ago. A guy married to a Chinese lady, they had been married for around 9 or 10 years, and just had their 2nd child together, decided to move to the guys home country (nz), but the children and his wife, were basically told to go back to China, cause their marriage could be fake or whatever. Basically, they were told the same thing, to now wait about 2 - 2.5 years before the wife and children could enter the country.
Forgot what happened in the end though.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #11069 on: December 05, 2019, 12:55:05 pm »

eats:
ramyeon
soy sauce
pure salt dip with bbq
kimchi
anchovies
된장

The Korean logic behind this is that these foods are always eaten together with a big bowl of rice which you can have more or less of to get the right balance. However if you get served a plate of spaghetti in a salty sauce, for example, you don't have that option. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11070 on: December 05, 2019, 01:29:56 pm »
so that's the logic, is it. i wonder how much salt koreans consume on avereage compared to other nations

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #11071 on: December 05, 2019, 01:48:45 pm »
so that's the logic, is it. i wonder how much salt koreans consume on avereage compared to other nations

iirc korean/japanese/chinese consumption of sodium is super high

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11072 on: December 05, 2019, 04:45:48 pm »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11073 on: December 05, 2019, 05:29:34 pm »
tf is going on in kazakhstan

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #11074 on: December 05, 2019, 05:57:37 pm »
tf is going on in kazakhstan
I thought they were into Potassium, not sodium!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:31:53 am by JNM »

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #11075 on: December 05, 2019, 09:37:42 pm »

eats:
ramyeon
soy sauce
pure salt dip with bbq
kimchi
anchovies
된장

The Korean logic behind this is that these foods are always eaten together with a big bowl of rice which you can have more or less of to get the right balance. However if you get served a plate of spaghetti in a salty sauce, for example, you don't have that option. 

+ they use a lot of sugar and other sweeteners in almost all dishes. So the sweet taste kind of covers the saltiness.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #11076 on: December 06, 2019, 07:34:27 am »

All the countries with high salt content, also have high stomach cancer rates. Mongolia, the Central Asia stans, S Korea and Japan, China, all feature high on that list.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11077 on: December 10, 2019, 03:14:06 pm »

« Reply #11078 on: December 11, 2019, 02:01:18 pm »
I had to rewrite all of my afterschool attendance log and plans in the after school book because they can't all be in the same ink color......each day needs a different color.......

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #11079 on: December 11, 2019, 05:37:01 pm »
I had to rewrite all of my afterschool attendance log and plans in the after school book because they can't all be in the same ink color......each day needs a different color.......
Can you alternate, or do you need [number of days in the school year] different colour pens?