Read 3163754 times

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11020 on: December 05, 2019, 09:51:55 am »
Christ, am I the only British person here who actually likes England haha?!!  :laugh:

You're confusing your feelings for England with your love for Greggs. 

I could murder a sausage roll to be honest.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11021 on: December 05, 2019, 09:54:52 am »

Yeah that's getting to me a lot.  Sometimes I think to myself "I really miss my own culture" but then stop and wonder if it's racist to think that lol.  I remember saying something about "my country" on here and someone replied with "people don't own countries".  Mental really.

Yeah mental. 'My wife', people don't own other people, ' my neighborhood' people don't own neighborhoods etc etc..Also lol that young people today think it's racist to like your own culture, crivens, what's the world coming to?

But yeah, I really miss the culture.  Isolation can be a huge problem here, I definitely realise that now.  Good point about marriage.  That's one reason why I'll never get married here because that's basically admitting that you'll never live in England again.

Most of the British guys I know who got married to Koreans moved away from here. Some took the PGCE route, others got into EAP teaching at universities, one works for IELTS in Cambridge, another's doing the online IELTS writing marking, one left teaching and works for his Brother's company.  I'm planning to do the same soon, maybe 2or possibly 4.

yeah, i mean, it's not impossibe to land a good job. but it's not easy. and it would require more qualifications than i currnently have- and, probably, more experience.

zola: yeah. i know a guy and it took him 3 years for a visa. and that was with going the savings route- having 62k or whatever it is in the bank. i mean, **** it. i don't want to go back that badly. last time i went through an airport i was interrogated for 40 minutes about why i'm here (with my wife). apparently "visiting my dying grandmother" wasnt ****** enough for the cunts. i was visiting my own country!

• stoat
  • The Legend

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #11022 on: December 05, 2019, 09:58:42 am »
Takes 2-12 weeks according to this.

https://www.visalogic.net/uk/uk-spouse-visa/4/103

« Reply #11023 on: December 05, 2019, 10:02:14 am »
Christ, am I the only British person here who actually likes England haha?!!  :laugh:

My Pops is coming over for Christmas, so my brothers and sisters asked if there was anything I wanted him to bring and all I've said so far is mince pies and crackers.  That's it. 

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11024 on: December 05, 2019, 10:39:57 am »
One of my best mates is married to an American girl. Should have seen the stack of papers he had to send.

I hear it is streamlined to a a certain extent these days, so long as you meet the checklist. 18.6k/62.5K, place to live, etc etc... I'll be doing it in the near future with my wife, but it certainly is an expensive sausage roll!
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #11025 on: December 05, 2019, 11:28:27 am »
Great. We've gone from Let it Go, to AAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY-OH to

Whatever the hell that new frozen song is.

Aahahhhaaahhahaaaha ahhhhhhhhh

• OnNut81
  • The Legend

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #11026 on: December 05, 2019, 11:52:15 am »

My Pops is coming over for Christmas, so my brothers and sisters asked if there was anything I wanted him to bring and all I've said so far is mince pies and crackers.  That's it. 

EMart has Waitrose baked beans and canned peas and some HomePlus locations still carry HP sauce.  You're spoiled for choice.  The only Canadian product I ever see here is maple syrup. 

« Reply #11027 on: December 05, 2019, 12:05:13 pm »

EMart has Waitrose baked beans and canned peas and some HomePlus locations still carry HP sauce.  You're spoiled for choice.  The only Canadian product I ever see here is maple syrup. 

Bummer about the maple syrup.  >:(  The Waitrose bit is good.  I always pick up a couple of boxes of the Waitrose Raisan Bran Flakes (not sweetened like the Kelloggs version) and the spaghetti hoops when I'm in Yongsan.  Just fancy some mince pies and Christmas crackers.  Christmas lunch just isn't the same without wearing a cheap paper hat and telling a crap joke.

« Reply #11028 on: December 05, 2019, 12:11:49 pm »
A lot of the kids here don't know that maple syrup is derived from tree sap.

Whenever I'm teaching very small classes (1-3 students), I let them try authentic maple syrup from my personal stash.

If I don't tell them where it comes from before they try it, they generally like it, although they might complain about it being too sweet (nevermind the fact that they eat foods far sweeter, but the first impression about foods you're not familiar with is always stronger than it is for foods you are familiar with).

If I do tell them before they try it, they say they don't like it because they say it tastes like tree sap.

lmao

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11029 on: December 05, 2019, 12:34:59 pm »
A lot of the kids here don't know that maple syrup is derived from tree sap.

Whenever I'm teaching very small classes (1-3 students), I let them try authentic maple syrup from my personal stash.

If I don't tell them where it comes from before they try it, they generally like it, although they might complain about it being too sweet (nevermind the fact that they eat foods far sweeter, but the first impression about foods you're not familiar with is always stronger than it is for foods you are familiar with).

If I do tell them before they try it, they say they don't like it because they say it tastes like tree sap.

lmao
"western food is so salty"

eats:
ramyeon
soy sauce
pure salt dip with bbq
kimchi
anchovies
된장

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #11030 on: December 05, 2019, 12:52:33 pm »
honestly, the reason i've been here so long is because england is...worse

You mean financially, opportunity-wise, culturally or some other reason?
well, i'm currently in a job i like, earning a very decent amount of money (with decent hours), in a new apartment which doesn't cost me much per month, while living right in the centre of seoul

i know i wouldn't be able to achieve even half of those things in the uk. plus, it's very difficult to bring my wife back to the uk anyway (which generally pisses me off). not that i really know what i'd do in the uk, besides.

i miss the culture though. and my friends :(

I know a British guy who left a few years ago and it took him 2.5 years to get his wife a visa to be able to come over. That's insane. I'm sure there is immigration fraud and fake marriages, but is it really to the degree where you are waiting years for it to get through. And thousands of pounds. His wife was Vietnamese, so maybe that makes the process longer than it would be for a Korean spouse? Either way, shithouse.

There was a story in NZ about a year ago. A guy married to a Chinese lady, they had been married for around 9 or 10 years, and just had their 2nd child together, decided to move to the guys home country (nz), but the children and his wife, were basically told to go back to China, cause their marriage could be fake or whatever. Basically, they were told the same thing, to now wait about 2 - 2.5 years before the wife and children could enter the country.
Forgot what happened in the end though.

• stoat
  • The Legend

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #11031 on: December 05, 2019, 12:55:05 pm »

eats:
ramyeon
soy sauce
pure salt dip with bbq
kimchi
anchovies
된장

The Korean logic behind this is that these foods are always eaten together with a big bowl of rice which you can have more or less of to get the right balance. However if you get served a plate of spaghetti in a salty sauce, for example, you don't have that option. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11032 on: December 05, 2019, 01:29:56 pm »
so that's the logic, is it. i wonder how much salt koreans consume on avereage compared to other nations

« Reply #11033 on: December 05, 2019, 01:48:45 pm »
so that's the logic, is it. i wonder how much salt koreans consume on avereage compared to other nations

iirc korean/japanese/chinese consumption of sodium is super high

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11034 on: December 05, 2019, 04:45:48 pm »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11035 on: December 05, 2019, 05:29:34 pm »
tf is going on in kazakhstan

• JNM
  • Waygook Lord

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #11036 on: December 05, 2019, 05:57:37 pm »
tf is going on in kazakhstan
I thought they were into Potassium, not sodium!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:31:53 am by JNM »

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #11037 on: December 05, 2019, 09:37:42 pm »

eats:
ramyeon
soy sauce
pure salt dip with bbq
kimchi
anchovies
된장

The Korean logic behind this is that these foods are always eaten together with a big bowl of rice which you can have more or less of to get the right balance. However if you get served a plate of spaghetti in a salty sauce, for example, you don't have that option. 

+ they use a lot of sugar and other sweeteners in almost all dishes. So the sweet taste kind of covers the saltiness.
''What are you going to impress her with? Your knowledge of bands from the 1970s? How you got wasted in Phuket? Your ''success'' as a teacher? Your heavily mortgaged apartment?'' -DeMartino
No dude! With my dad's army experience, his millions and that he built an airplane... and my 13.000+ posts.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #11038 on: December 06, 2019, 07:34:27 am »

All the countries with high salt content, also have high stomach cancer rates. Mongolia, the Central Asia stans, S Korea and Japan, China, all feature high on that list.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #11039 on: December 10, 2019, 03:14:06 pm »