Read 1576133 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11020 on: December 02, 2019, 02:39:22 pm »
So, late last week, Gmarket support contacted the person I bought the heater from. The seller finally contacted me, told me my address was wrong, and that's why it hasn't been sent yet.
Then over the weekend, gmarket contacted me again, and the seller told them, my heater is at Korean customs, and hasn't been cleared yet because they needed something like my ARC number to clear customs, which isn't a big deal, I've had to give it before for stuff to clear customs. But it must have been at customs for close to 3 weeks, and the seller made no attempt to contact me and get my number from me for it to clear customs. :\ I contacted the seller, and passed on my number, but never heard anything back. I guess I'll have to contact gmarket again to get them to check up on everything, since my attempts, and my co-t's, aren't resulting in us getting any useful information. :\

Pro tip: don't order 해와직구 stuff from Gmarket. If you're going to 직구 something, use Coupang or Amazon.

Anyways: it's not the seller's responsibility to deal with customs for you. Usually you'll receive an automated SMS message from customs telling you to input your customs clearance information. Or call customs. They speak English.

Good luck!

Ahh, gmarket support told me to contact the seller about the customs stuff.
I've only had to deal with customs once, in all my online purchases here; so I'm not familiar with it haha. And, since I haven't heard from customs about it, that must mean it isn't with them yet?

Also, how do you tell if something is: 해와직구 / 직구?
Pretty sure the product listed as domestic delivery.

I'm mostly annoyed, because it's been over 5 weeks since I ordered it, the seller hasn't reached out to me, or my co-T (her number is my secondary number, and people often call her, if they call me and can't speak English), when there has been issues, and since they put it to having been shipped after a week or so, I can't cancel my order and order from a different place or anything. :\
It's getting really cold here, and I was expecting to be able to use my new heater by now. D:
This is the only major issue I've had with gmarket in my time here too.

It'll say in the shipping description area whether it's domestic or from abroad. Right under the shipping price. If you can give me a link to what you bought, I can take a look, if you'd like.
Have you received any messages from customs asking for your info at all?

If you're freezing, I'd suggest just buying from a different seller just so you can have a heater.

You should be able to cancel your order if an item isn't received though - if it's an import order, it'll list the expected delivery time (it's usually 2 weeks), and if it's five weeks and you still haven't received anything, you can just go into your orders and cancel it and select 'item not received' as the reason, and then Gmarket will take care of the rest for you.

Sorry you're having such a difficult time.

« Reply #11021 on: December 02, 2019, 02:41:12 pm »
Is it just me or has youtube changed its viewing of videos etc.  On my laptop, the default screen for watching a video is really annoying as  it is pretty big and in the middle of the screen with all other videos under it, whereas on my school computer it is on the left with the list of other videos next to it on the right, like it used to be.  Did I mess this up as I can't seem to find any options to change the video view back to how I used to have it?  I'm logged in on my laptop, but I'm not on the school computer.   :undecided:

Sounds like you clicked the Theatre Mode button. It's on the bottom right of the video screen.

Nope, not as simple as that.  The default setting is the annoying size.  When I toggle 'cinema' mode, it is almost full screen.  I logged out, deleted all cache, all cookies and when I started youtube again, it was the same again.  Thing is, I'm fairly tech-savvy, but on this verison of youtube there is no 'default' setting option.  Maybe see if I can roll back a version.   

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #11022 on: December 02, 2019, 02:47:30 pm »
So, late last week, Gmarket support contacted the person I bought the heater from. The seller finally contacted me, told me my address was wrong, and that's why it hasn't been sent yet.
Then over the weekend, gmarket contacted me again, and the seller told them, my heater is at Korean customs, and hasn't been cleared yet because they needed something like my ARC number to clear customs, which isn't a big deal, I've had to give it before for stuff to clear customs. But it must have been at customs for close to 3 weeks, and the seller made no attempt to contact me and get my number from me for it to clear customs. :\ I contacted the seller, and passed on my number, but never heard anything back. I guess I'll have to contact gmarket again to get them to check up on everything, since my attempts, and my co-t's, aren't resulting in us getting any useful information. :\

Pro tip: don't order 해와직구 stuff from Gmarket. If you're going to 직구 something, use Coupang or Amazon.

Anyways: it's not the seller's responsibility to deal with customs for you. Usually you'll receive an automated SMS message from customs telling you to input your customs clearance information. Or call customs. They speak English.

Good luck!

Ahh, gmarket support told me to contact the seller about the customs stuff.
I've only had to deal with customs once, in all my online purchases here; so I'm not familiar with it haha. And, since I haven't heard from customs about it, that must mean it isn't with them yet?

Also, how do you tell if something is: 해와직구 / 직구?
Pretty sure the product listed as domestic delivery.

I'm mostly annoyed, because it's been over 5 weeks since I ordered it, the seller hasn't reached out to me, or my co-T (her number is my secondary number, and people often call her, if they call me and can't speak English), when there has been issues, and since they put it to having been shipped after a week or so, I can't cancel my order and order from a different place or anything. :\
It's getting really cold here, and I was expecting to be able to use my new heater by now. D:
This is the only major issue I've had with gmarket in my time here too.

It'll say in the shipping description area whether it's domestic or from abroad. Right under the shipping price. If you can give me a link to what you bought, I can take a look, if you'd like.
Have you received any messages from customs asking for your info at all?

If you're freezing, I'd suggest just buying from a different seller just so you can have a heater.

You should be able to cancel your order if an item isn't received though - if it's an import order, it'll list the expected delivery time (it's usually 2 weeks), and if it's five weeks and you still haven't received anything, you can just go into your orders and cancel it and select 'item not received' as the reason, and then Gmarket will take care of the rest for you.

Sorry you're having such a difficult time.

I'll PM ya the link.
I know it says origin is China, but the company only does domestic deliveries.
I haven't heard anything from customs but, the seller told gmarket it is with customs.

I have a small space heater, and it is okay for now. It's just it uses a lot of power, and can barely heat a small room haha.

I guess, I'll try cancel it and get the money refunded, since it hasn't been received. I wouldn't mind waiting, if they could at least give me an estimate of when to expect the order to arrive haha.

« Reply #11023 on: December 03, 2019, 08:43:04 am »
I pulled a groin muscle while at the gym this morning.  >:(

:cry:

« Reply #11024 on: December 03, 2019, 09:38:00 am »

Serves you right for being an overachieving morning gymer :laugh:

« Reply #11025 on: December 03, 2019, 10:10:18 am »

Serves you right for being an overachieving morning gymer :laugh:

BUT I HAVEN'T BEEN TO THE GYM IN THE MORNING IN FOREVER

I even went to bed early last night so that I could enjoy an empty gym for once. 3:<

Now everyone keeps asking me why I'm walking around like a penguin.

« Reply #11026 on: December 03, 2019, 11:39:12 am »
I'm pretty certain I've transported this to the correct thread, B Farrell, haha.

So my main co-teacher has decided she hates me now, for some reason, and I cannot figure out why.  As far as I know, Monday last week everything was fine;  then I got sick that night with food poisoning so I ended up taking Tuesday off and when I came back Wednesday, everything had changed.

~I wasn't aware of anything wrong at first until Thursday during lunch hour, when I went to brush my teeth in the teacher's bathroom.

~Friday, the next day, I'm usually at my secondary school but I had received a message from my co-teacher at the secondary school that I wouldn't be needed there, so I was at my main school on Friday deskwarming and getting lessons done.

~Yesterday during a class with her, I was having problems with the students and I made the mistake of accidentally saying her name without adding 'teacher' at the end (I honestly make this mistake with my other cts, not just her, but the others usually let it go.

-Today I'm not even in the office for 10 mins in the morning when she calls my name (WITHOUT adding 'teacher' at the end, may I add?)

I'm not even hurt or anything that she doesn't like me (I honestly couldn't care less about it) but it's the random suddenness of it all. I literally was helping her decided which jacket/vest looked best on her two weeks ago and now she hates my guts and is undermining me in front of our students every-which-way. She's been teaching for like 25 years and apparently has a reputation from all of her schools about getting into fights and arguments with all of the teachers and I truly have been waiting for my day to come cause she's done this with the other teachers in department, but this is just ridiculous. I really can't wait for school to end in 6 weeks. I'm over this woman.

CO2 you are a gem!

Thank you!

UPDATE: just received a text message from my other G2 co-teacher about why my main has been so snappy and hateful towards me this past week and it turns out the the homeroom teacher for one of the second grade classes was out on sick leave for 3 days and main co-teacher (who is one of the only second grade teachers with no homeroom class) was substituting as homeroom teacher for that class. She was stressed out and decided to take that stress out on me - instead of any of the other 60+ teachers at the school.

While I'm happy to know why she was snappy the whole time, still doesn't explain everything but oh well.

Update-update: After getting everything resolved with this woman the following week, and her going back to loving me, I am now hated again and just discovered that she has talked to the VP at my main school - telling him that she is not satisfied with my teaching and requesting that I be transferred next year to another school. Now I have a total of four co-teachers at my main school, one at my secondary school, and everybody else besides this woman (who is my main co-teacher) loves me and the students all love me (besides maybe the kids in her class, who are extremely out of control and she does nothing with them). I'm not entirely too worried about not being renewed but I also really don't want to be forced to work with her again.  I'm currently going on four days of no sleep because of stress (mostly caused by said woman) and some other things going on, so at this point I really couldn't care less that she spoke to the VP but it is adding onto the anxiety.

I used to love this school.  :cry: :cry:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11027 on: December 03, 2019, 11:46:25 am »
usually when you encounter a mentalist like that, everyone else is well aware she's insane too. so i wouldn't worry about it

« Reply #11028 on: December 03, 2019, 11:59:21 am »
Agreed, you said it before that this woman's reputation precedes her.

You might have to work with her for the time being, but do not let her get to you. Easier said than done, I know, but use this opportunity to practice SNIP.

And also, I don't think it's too late to put in a request to transfer to another school, either, if you really don't feel like you can work with her in the future. I'm assuming that you're with the EPIK or GEPIK programs. If you are, contact your coordinator about it, lay out the details of what's been going on. With your coT's reputation being what it is, they should never have allowed her to be your coT to begin with.

usually when you encounter a mentalist like that, everyone else is well aware she's insane too. so i wouldn't worry about it

I've never actually noticed this word being used in this way before, and I think it's my new favorite thing right now.

« Reply #11029 on: December 03, 2019, 12:08:12 pm »
usually when you encounter a mentalist like that,

Man alive, you've embarrassed yourself.  Play a record.

« Reply #11030 on: December 03, 2019, 12:35:27 pm »
bfarrell1987, do you like your main school apart from her?  If I were you and I liked my school I'd really stand up for myself in that situation.  I'd hate to have to move just because one teacher has a grudge against you.  I don't think it's fair considering the other teachers and students like you.

• dippedinblush
  • Veteran

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #11031 on: December 03, 2019, 11:44:42 pm »
I'm so so angry (mostly disappointed) cause one of my students stole my airpods (2nd gen).  I have never had to "lock up" my stuff from my kids in over 10 years I've been working here in Korea.

I teach a double reading class on Tuesday afternoons (period 5 and 6) and most of the time the kids are so so bored.  Today I thought...before we read the book (The Grinch Who Stole Christmas) I would surprise them with the movie...I even gave them the choice between the 2000 one with Jim Carrey and the updated 2018 one.  (Personally I love the 1966 version but...they would hate it..not enough glitz). 

Soo they naturally chose the 2018 version..and I had my airpods and ipad on my desk (in the English Zone).  Period 5 we watch the movie (my stuff is still there)....then recess (ten minutes).  I come back from the break..ipad there, airpods gone with the wind.

My coteacher came in and I told her and other students about the missing airpods…..everyone searches...airpods still not recovered.

I'm pissed because never has a student stolen anything from me in over 10 years here in Korea.... Also...they are only grade 1 and I was doing them a solid by showing a movie!

• Cohort 2019
  • Veteran

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90°S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #11032 on: December 04, 2019, 06:10:23 am »
Sorry to hear, but why Airpods? Good riddens I'd say. Frying your brain with low-level radiation isn't my idea of 'cool'.

Disclaimer: Bluetooth and wifi are perfectly safe.  :wink: But I remember a time of weak routers and cabled pc-stations in classrooms and never feeling like my head was on fire/continually charging up. Hard to concentrate as well and I get cranky as hell.

Everyday my head hurts from the 30 laptops charging up the room connecting to the Apple Router above my screen. But I 'm the 'only one' recognising it as such. Instead, all of my colleagues are just 'tired and irritable and rubbing their eyes and forehead' for no apparent reason. At first I thought the women were all in menopause but it's clearly the harmless radiation because we all have that pained, haunting, red-eyed stare at 2 pm. each meeting. Believe me, it cannot be the kids, they're great!

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 06:15:11 am by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #11033 on: December 04, 2019, 07:51:06 am »
Korean drivers are f@cks. Late for school cause Korean drivers repeatedly entered an intersection when traffic was not flowing and traffic was blocked in 3 directions.

On the positive side saw a delivery scooter slowly slide out on an icy bend. Didn't bat an eyelid cause they deserve no respect with the way that they ride

« Reply #11034 on: December 04, 2019, 11:34:50 am »
On the positive side saw a delivery scooter slowly slide out on an icy bend. Didn't bat an eyelid cause they deserve no respect with the way that they ride

Wow. You're actually a terrible person.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 11:39:48 am by #basedcowboyshirt »

« Reply #11035 on: December 04, 2019, 11:41:38 am »
I'm so so angry (mostly disappointed) cause one of my students stole my airpods (2nd gen).  I have never had to "lock up" my stuff from my kids in over 10 years I've been working here in Korea.

I teach a double reading class on Tuesday afternoons (period 5 and 6) and most of the time the kids are so so bored.  Today I thought...before we read the book (The Grinch Who Stole Christmas) I would surprise them with the movie...I even gave them the choice between the 2000 one with Jim Carrey and the updated 2018 one.  (Personally I love the 1966 version but...they would hate it..not enough glitz). 

Soo they naturally chose the 2018 version..and I had my airpods and ipad on my desk (in the English Zone).  Period 5 we watch the movie (my stuff is still there)....then recess (ten minutes).  I come back from the break..ipad there, airpods gone with the wind.

My coteacher came in and I told her and other students about the missing airpods…..everyone searches...airpods still not recovered.

I'm pissed because never has a student stolen anything from me in over 10 years here in Korea.... Also...they are only grade 1 and I was doing them a solid by showing a movie!

That sucks. I had a small little elephant souvenir stolen off my desk in my first year working here, and ever since then, I've kept any valuables locked up when I'm not in the room. And I lock my classroom door whenever I leave, even if it's for a few minutes.

Also, AirPods are the must-have item for kids in their age range, and they're expensive and easily pocketable - too tempting of a target for some little jerk, I guess :(

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #11036 on: December 04, 2019, 12:19:55 pm »
...here in Japan, taking a breather.

I know Japan has its own challenges and people like to pretend it is so much better and what not (and one numerous levels, it is).  The expat population is filled with nasty hipsters, doing the same things, talking about the same things and subbing their noses at anyone that tries to join in the conversation. 

However, my ranting/venting is this....I am absolutely NOT, looking forward to flying back to Korea.  Well...at least to my job and the location).  Usually, I was content on getting back...no, I just feel ill thinking about it.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #11037 on: December 04, 2019, 12:54:59 pm »
However, my ranting/venting is this....I am absolutely NOT, looking forward to flying back to Korea.  Well...at least to my job and the location).  Usually, I was content on getting back...no, I just feel ill thinking about it.
I felt that for the first time when I returned from a month long trip in Feb 2018. And every subsequent trip since. I knew it was game over once i felt dread on landing at Incheon.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #11038 on: December 04, 2019, 01:35:33 pm »

Nah! Screw them. They frequently ride through pedestrian green lights and do other asshat riding.

« Reply #11039 on: December 04, 2019, 01:45:41 pm »

Nah! Screw them. They frequently ride through pedestrian green lights and do other asshat riding.
Ehhh, I'll actually slightly side with Savant on this. The fact that the rider was a delivery driver, which I think makes it fair to generalize as the delivery industry is exclusively filled with line-steppers, and the fact that the dude didn't seem to take too bad of a tumble, means a little schadenfreude is not unwarranted.

Now if it had been say, just some random person on an unmarked scooter and the accident was more serious, then I might agree. But I think those two things Savant cited are significant enough to not go for pitchforks and torches.

I do feel bad if someone's food was in there, because they don't deserve getting bunch of shaken and spilled crap or a 45 minute delay on their feast.