Read 1636366 times

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #11000 on: November 29, 2019, 10:15:01 am »
let's suppose that even if someone didn't realise that germs are spread from coughing, do they really think that coughing up spittle into someone else's face is acceptable behaviour?

germs aside, it's ****** disgusting

« Reply #11001 on: November 29, 2019, 10:26:04 am »
let's suppose that even if someone didn't realise that germs are spread from coughing, do they really think that coughing up spittle into someone else's face is acceptable behaviour?

germs aside, it's ****** disgusting

I know. I agreed with you earlier that it's super gross.

« Reply #11002 on: November 29, 2019, 11:50:18 am »
The effectiveness of covering your mouth is dubious at best. In order to do so, you'd have to form a relatively tight seal across your mouth and then IMMEDIATELY disinfect your hands without touching any other surfaces that people might touch. In fact, covering with your hands might be worse because any germ that relies on surface to surface infection stands a better chance of getting transmitted since hands tend to touch places other hands will touch. It's also funny how the "fist cough" is considered good, when that is laughably ineffective. If you're going to cover, cough into your elbow. It's not as good a seal as your hand, but it's better for surface-to-surface transmission.

If it really were that much of a difference maker you'd see dramatically different influenza infection rates, especially given Korea's denser population, but you don't. It's the same as those masks. Without a proper seal, a rubber edge and the thing somewhat form-fitted, it's ultimately not terrible effective at prevention of becoming infected or transmitting. air. It's more just general "pleasantness" to do it, not a serious safeguard against infection.

There's no getting around that you're expelling air at incredibly high velocities and that air has to go somewhere and it will find those cracks. The degree to which people freak about over this vs. it's actual efficacy is rather disproportionate.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11003 on: November 29, 2019, 12:19:30 pm »
It's the same as those masks. Without a proper seal, a rubber edge and the thing somewhat form-fitted, it's ultimately not terrible effective at prevention of becoming infected or transmitting. air. It's more just general "pleasantness" to do it, not a serious safeguard against infection.

There's no getting around that you're expelling air at incredibly high velocities and that air has to go somewhere and it will find those cracks. The degree to which people freak about over this vs. it's actual efficacy is rather disproportionate.

Every source I've looked at indicates that wearing a mask reduces the likelihood of transmitting a cold or the flu, and there's a fair amount of research that backs it up. Here's an excerpt from some random article that quotes a few of these research findings:

" In a 2013 study, researchers counted the number of virus particles in the air around patients with flu. They found that surgical masks decreased the exhalation of large viral droplets 25-fold. The masks were, however, less effective against the fine viral droplets that can remain suspended in the air longer and are therefore more infectious, cutting them by [only] 2.8 times.

The work of Australian investigators provides further support for the value of the simple surgical mask. They estimate that in a home setting, wearing a surgical mask decreases a well personís risk of getting sick by 60 percent to 80 percent.
"
[source]

There are some caveats and stuff, but it's pretty clear that if everybody wore a mask and used hand sanitizer during fluseason, the flu would definitely not kill 400,000 (plus or minus 200k depending on the year) people per year..  :sad:

Here's a great capture of health-conscious folk during flu-season way back in 1937: 

:smiley:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 12:35:47 pm by kyndo »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11004 on: November 29, 2019, 12:33:27 pm »
The effectiveness of covering your mouth is dubious at best. In order to do so, you'd have to form a relatively tight seal across your mouth and then IMMEDIATELY disinfect your hands without touching any other surfaces that people might touch. In fact, covering with your hands might be worse because any germ that relies on surface to surface infection stands a better chance of getting transmitted since hands tend to touch places other hands will touch. It's also funny how the "fist cough" is considered good, when that is laughably ineffective. If you're going to cover, cough into your elbow. It's not as good a seal as your hand, but it's better for surface-to-surface transmission.

If it really were that much of a difference maker you'd see dramatically different influenza infection rates, especially given Korea's denser population, but you don't. It's the same as those masks. Without a proper seal, a rubber edge and the thing somewhat form-fitted, it's ultimately not terrible effective at prevention of becoming infected or transmitting. air. It's more just general "pleasantness" to do it, not a serious safeguard against infection.

ok...but all i'm arguing is that it's rude to cough in someone's face, and therefore getting spit particles all over your face

it's happened again

user> complaint about A
you> yes but what about B and C??? your argument is invalid!

« Reply #11005 on: November 29, 2019, 12:51:00 pm »
The work of Australian investigators provides further support for the value of the simple surgical mask. They estimate that in a home setting, wearing a surgical mask decreases a well personís risk of getting sick by 60 percent to 80 percent.[/b][/color][/i]"
Ehh, I wonder how much influence by the researchers was involved in adjusting and attaching the mask and whether folks adjusted their behavior simply by wearing the mask and becoming more "health conscious". Also, the mask would likely reduce at-risk behaviors such as time spent together or sharing meals, physical intimacy, etc. I don't know if they controlled for that or simply had the people live in some sort of sterilized pseudo-apartment.

I'm sure it has some effect, just that I think it might be overstated, just as the effectiveness of those against fine dust appears to be overstated.

« Reply #11006 on: November 29, 2019, 12:57:29 pm »
user> complaint about A
you> yes but what about B and C??? your argument is invalid!
Actually coughing and mouth covering to prevent infection were points that were made-

They'd rather make their germs someone else's problem than keep it local (ingest the loogie, cough into their own hands, etc).

I honestly just think it's a lack of education about how disease is spread. I don't think it's really fair to label that as cultural.

Explaining the relative ineffectiveness of mouth covering adds context to the debate and the degree to which someone should be concerned about it in terms of disease prevention. It is also relevant to point out that without proper and immediate hand sanitizing, mouth covering is ineffective and can potentially infect more people. Some people seem to think that just covering your mouth is fine. It's not. You should immediately sanitize afterwards.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11007 on: November 29, 2019, 01:21:55 pm »
"The effectiveness of covering your mouth is dubious at best."

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11008 on: November 29, 2019, 02:24:51 pm »
I'm sure it has some effect, just that I think it might be overstated, just as the effectiveness of those against fine dust appears to be overstated.

Apples and oranges.

Surgical masks worn by sick people help reduce the transmission of airborne crap. While they're certainly not 100% effective, they are statistically significantly helpful in controlling contagion.

Surgical/dust masks worn against pollution are next to useless as they do not effectively filter out gases and pm 2.5 particulates. For this you need respirators or rated pollution masks.

But yeah, I agree that their effect are probably somewhat over rated. Still, wearing a mask when you're contagious seems like the socially responsible thing to do.  :undecided:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11009 on: November 29, 2019, 03:01:20 pm »
Third time now that someone has coughed or sneezed in my face today. Ffs

Went 20 years in the UK without it happening once

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #11010 on: November 29, 2019, 07:47:36 pm »

It's your fault...you don't understand Korean culture.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #11011 on: November 29, 2019, 10:16:46 pm »

It's your fault...you don't understand Korean culture.
Just sit back and pretend it's Seolhyun.

« Reply #11012 on: November 30, 2019, 12:18:06 pm »
What the fuk is up with people having tiny as fender benders on the highway during rush hour and keeping their car in the middle lane and standing outside waving traffic around like an asshat.  FFS 90% it's barely a scratch and they have backed traffic up for 2km bc they can't pull their fooking car to the side of the highway.  Everyone has dashcams anyways.. take a picture and move your shit.  Why isn't there a law for this.   Being late to work because some adjosshis eqquis got a 1 inch dent is asinine.   

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #11013 on: November 30, 2019, 12:51:21 pm »
What the fuk is up with people having tiny as fender benders on the highway during rush hour and keeping their car in the middle lane and standing outside waving traffic around like an asshat.  FFS 90% it's barely a scratch and they have backed traffic up for 2km bc they can't pull their fooking car to the side of the highway.  Everyone has dashcams anyways.. take a picture and move your shit.  Why isn't there a law for this.   Being late to work because some adjosshis eqquis got a 1 inch dent is asinine.   

...you don't understand Koren culture and it is your fault.

« Reply #11014 on: December 02, 2019, 01:29:51 pm »
Is it just me or has youtube changed its viewing of videos etc.  On my laptop, the default screen for watching a video is really annoying as  it is pretty big and in the middle of the screen with all other videos under it, whereas on my school computer it is on the left with the list of other videos next to it on the right, like it used to be.  Did I mess this up as I can't seem to find any options to change the video view back to how I used to have it?  I'm logged in on my laptop, but I'm not on the school computer.   :undecided:

« Reply #11015 on: December 02, 2019, 01:40:40 pm »
Is it just me or has youtube changed its viewing of videos etc.  On my laptop, the default screen for watching a video is really annoying as  it is pretty big and in the middle of the screen with all other videos under it, whereas on my school computer it is on the left with the list of other videos next to it on the right, like it used to be.  Did I mess this up as I can't seem to find any options to change the video view back to how I used to have it?  I'm logged in on my laptop, but I'm not on the school computer.   :undecided:

Sounds like you clicked the Theatre Mode button. It's on the bottom right of the video screen.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #11016 on: December 02, 2019, 01:50:30 pm »
So, late last week, Gmarket support contacted the person I bought the heater from. The seller finally contacted me, told me my address was wrong, and that's why it hasn't been sent yet.
Then over the weekend, gmarket contacted me again, and the seller told them, my heater is at Korean customs, and hasn't been cleared yet because they needed something like my ARC number to clear customs, which isn't a big deal, I've had to give it before for stuff to clear customs. But it must have been at customs for close to 3 weeks, and the seller made no attempt to contact me and get my number from me for it to clear customs. :\ I contacted the seller, and passed on my number, but never heard anything back. I guess I'll have to contact gmarket again to get them to check up on everything, since my attempts, and my co-t's, aren't resulting in us getting any useful information. :\

« Reply #11017 on: December 02, 2019, 02:00:29 pm »
So, late last week, Gmarket support contacted the person I bought the heater from. The seller finally contacted me, told me my address was wrong, and that's why it hasn't been sent yet.
Then over the weekend, gmarket contacted me again, and the seller told them, my heater is at Korean customs, and hasn't been cleared yet because they needed something like my ARC number to clear customs, which isn't a big deal, I've had to give it before for stuff to clear customs. But it must have been at customs for close to 3 weeks, and the seller made no attempt to contact me and get my number from me for it to clear customs. :\ I contacted the seller, and passed on my number, but never heard anything back. I guess I'll have to contact gmarket again to get them to check up on everything, since my attempts, and my co-t's, aren't resulting in us getting any useful information. :\

Pro tip: don't order 해와직구 stuff from Gmarket. If you're going to 직구 something, use Coupang or Amazon.

Anyways: it's not the seller's responsibility to deal with customs for you. Usually you'll receive an automated SMS message from customs telling you to input your customs clearance information. Or call customs. They speak English.

Good luck!

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #11018 on: December 02, 2019, 02:27:48 pm »

Pro tip: don't order 해와직구 stuff from Gmarket. If you're going to 직구 something, use Coupang or Amazon.

Anyways: it's not the seller's responsibility to deal with customs for you. Usually you'll receive an automated SMS message from customs telling you to input your customs clearance information. Or call customs. They speak English.

Good luck!

Ahh, gmarket support told me to contact the seller about the customs stuff.
I've only had to deal with customs once, in all my online purchases here; so I'm not familiar with it haha. And, since I haven't heard from customs about it, that must mean it isn't with them yet?

Also, how do you tell if something is: 해와직구 / 직구?
Pretty sure the product listed as domestic delivery.

I'm mostly annoyed, because it's been over 5 weeks since I ordered it, the seller hasn't reached out to me, or my co-T (her number is my secondary number, and people often call her, if they call me and can't speak English), when there has been issues, and since they put it to having been shipped after a week or so, I can't cancel my order and order from a different place or anything. :\
It's getting really cold here, and I was expecting to be able to use my new heater by now. D:
This is the only major issue I've had with gmarket in my time here too.

« Reply #11019 on: December 02, 2019, 02:39:22 pm »

Good luck!

Ahh, gmarket support told me to contact the seller about the customs stuff.
I've only had to deal with customs once, in all my online purchases here; so I'm not familiar with it haha. And, since I haven't heard from customs about it, that must mean it isn't with them yet?

Also, how do you tell if something is: 해와직구 / 직구?
Pretty sure the product listed as domestic delivery.

I'm mostly annoyed, because it's been over 5 weeks since I ordered it, the seller hasn't reached out to me, or my co-T (her number is my secondary number, and people often call her, if they call me and can't speak English), when there has been issues, and since they put it to having been shipped after a week or so, I can't cancel my order and order from a different place or anything. :\
It's getting really cold here, and I was expecting to be able to use my new heater by now. D:
This is the only major issue I've had with gmarket in my time here too.

It'll say in the shipping description area whether it's domestic or from abroad. Right under the shipping price. If you can give me a link to what you bought, I can take a look, if you'd like.
Have you received any messages from customs asking for your info at all?

If you're freezing, I'd suggest just buying from a different seller just so you can have a heater.

You should be able to cancel your order if an item isn't received though - if it's an import order, it'll list the expected delivery time (it's usually 2 weeks), and if it's five weeks and you still haven't received anything, you can just go into your orders and cancel it and select 'item not received' as the reason, and then Gmarket will take care of the rest for you.

Sorry you're having such a difficult time.