Read 2013450 times

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #10960 on: November 26, 2019, 08:35:23 am »
The mental drain makes it difficult to sleep and the physical drain makes you too tired or lethargic to want to do anything besides videos games or TV, which makes sleep even more elusive. 

This is what I have at the moment.  I'm knackered after this long year, so sleeping properly is kind of difficult during the week.  I get home from school at 8:30pm and then watch Rick and Morty for an hour and I really feel like I could sleep like a log, but when I go to bed it's a lot of tossing and turning.  On Saturday, I'll wake up early, eat breakfast, go back to bed, then up again at lunch and eat lunch, then an hour nap, then up in the afternoon for exercise, then in the evening a film or talk to my mum.  That's my day.  That's all I have the energy for at the moment.  Winter holidays can't come quick enough, and teachers from my school and couple of other schools are already talking about my schedule for next year. 

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10961 on: November 26, 2019, 08:47:38 am »
Teenagers in South Korea are the laziest in the world, according to a global study.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7711713/The-worlds-laziest-teenagers-7-children-South-Korea-active-hour-day.html

Korean kids are spending too much time playing cell phone games and computer games.  :sad:

Incidentally, without exercise how are they able to stay so thin? Ectomorphic genetics?

Crap article title.
Is studying 10 hours a day lazy? Nope.
Inactive, sure, but not necessarily lazy.

I would definitely say genetics have something to do with it: some people can eat whatever they want and still retain a really low BMI (myself for example, thankfully).

That said, changes in diet and habits are causing the percentage of overweight Koreans to explode.

Interestingly, part of the reason for this increase is that Korea uses a different standard of measurement for obesity: the WHO defines obese as a BMI of over 30, whereas Korea (and some other Asian countries defines it as over 25. The justification for this is that East Asians tend to have higher body fat percentages for a given BMI than many other ethnicities.

Here's an interesting article that talk about some of these points.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #10962 on: November 26, 2019, 08:54:45 am »
Teenagers in South Korea are the laziest in the world, according to a global study.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7711713/The-worlds-laziest-teenagers-7-children-South-Korea-active-hour-day.html

Korean kids are spending too much time playing cell phone games and computer games.  :sad:

Incidentally, without exercise how are they able to stay so thin? Ectomorphic genetics?

Crap article title.
Is studying 10 hours a day lazy? Nope.
Inactive, sure, but not necessarily lazy.

I would definitely say genetics have something to do with it: some people can eat whatever they want and still retain a really low BMI (myself for example, thankfully).

That said, changes in diet and habits are causing the percentage of overweight Koreans to explode.

Interestingly, part of the reason for this increase is that Korea uses a different standard of measurement for obesity: the WHO defines obese as a BMI of over 30, whereas Korea (and some other Asian countries defines it as over 25. The justification for this is that East Asians tend to have higher body fat percentages for a given BMI than many other ethnicities.

Here's an interesting article that talk about some of these points.

There was a report a few years ago that said the type 2 diabetes rate was same per cap in South Korea as it was in the USA. Which was shocking because what, 2/3 of American adults are overwight or obese? while the number here would be much, much less. Metabolic disorders seem to effect East Asians at relatively lower weights then they would other ethnicities.
Like Indians or other South Asians and heart disease.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #10963 on: November 26, 2019, 10:54:46 am »
Anna and Bella?

Searched this, watched it, and still don't get the connection.

Care to explain?

Anorexia and bulimia. Koreans are hypersensitive about their size, and they go on crazy diets to keep their weight. Eating disorders are common here.

Aside from that, just want to state in general that being overweight isn't just about a sedentary lifestyle. It's mostly diet, which is further complicated by lifestyle and other variables (level of activity, age, metabolism, etc.). This is why you can commonly find people who are overweight but who are also very physically active -- what they're doing just isn't enough to burn off all of the access calories that they consume or the stored fat that they have -- and also why you'll meet people who will lose weight even if they aren't physically active.

This is true, PARTICULARLY for women. The dieting leads to rapid muscle loss as well, meaning it becomes increasingly easier to put on fat. So, while possible, many Asian women are in a state of perpetual diet, I can only imagine how miserable this must make life.
I saw a rather interesting video about a Japanese Idol group of fat girls, they call themselves Big Angel. One of the members claimed that she lived on nothing but yoghurt and water for 6 months.
Mentally she wasn't in a good place and eventually, she snapped. She gorged herself and put on 10kg in a week! One extreme mental state leads to another extreme mental state.
I really think it's all in your head and has very little to do with metabolism.

My wife is pretty slim and trains almost as regularly as I do. However, the moment she slacks, she puts on fat. I'm the opposite. If I look at my brother, we're polar opposites, despite growing up in the same house and eating the same food.
From an early age, my wife and brother developed a much stronger emotional attachment to food and tend to eat when stressed, bored, happy etc. They both tend to get anxious whenever they begin feeling peckish. I grew up surfing, which
means you spend the whole day surfing and trying your best to ignore the massive hole growing in your stomach. When you get home, you're asking for 3rd helpings. I learned to ignore hunger and still do, I oftentimes forget to eat when I'm occupied
with something else.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #10964 on: November 26, 2019, 11:33:54 am »
I ordered a heater on gmarket 5 weeks ago, which still hasn't arrived.
Attempts from myself, and my co-teacher, to try and find out when it will arrive have resulted with no new information.
And I can't cancel it without contacting the seller, and they are a nightmare to try get a hold of; they also flagged it as having been shipped after the first week. >.<
I just want it to arrive already.

« Reply #10965 on: November 26, 2019, 11:45:06 am »
And I can't cancel it without contacting the seller, and they are a nightmare to try get a hold of; they also flagged it as having been shipped after the first week. >.<

I was under the impression you can use the Gmarket customer service to contact the seller and then if there is no reply back from the seller to Gmarket, you can cancel it through them. 

« Reply #10966 on: November 26, 2019, 11:51:34 am »

I was under the impression you can use the Gmarket customer service to contact the seller and then if there is no reply back from the seller to Gmarket, you can cancel it through them. 

This. Some sellers will set it as having been shipped already even if the item hasn't actually shipped because they're trying to prevent you from canceling the order while they wait on other customers to order the same thing (that way they can save on shipping costs to themselves by ordering in bulk). You can get around this by contacting Gmarket's customer service about it. They'll try to contact the seller and will give you an estimated time to wait. If you don't here back from either the seller or Gmarket by that time, you can follow up with Gmarket and get them to cancel the order.

They have an option where you can email or PM them through the site. It's how I did it both times I needed to.

« Reply #10967 on: November 26, 2019, 11:58:40 am »

Coupang and Gmarket sellers pull this same stunt.
Once the seller has marked the item as 'pending' or 'in transit' (can't remember which one), it's impossible to cancel the order on your end without contacting the seller who, surprise, will never reply. You're stuck.
You'll likely get the item, but what the seller is probably doing is waiting for enough orders for said item so they can bulk buy from wherever and make a larger profit... or, they order the item from overseas (like an unnecessary middle-man)
and select the cheapest and slowest shipping option to maximise their profit.

Make sure you order from a seller who lists an ETA and DO NOT order from sellers who list international shipping... you might as well buy from Amazon or Ebay.

« Reply #10968 on: November 26, 2019, 12:12:29 pm »

Coupang and Gmarket sellers pull this same stunt.
Once the seller has marked the item as 'pending' or 'in transit' (can't remember which one), it's impossible to cancel the order on your end without contacting the seller who, surprise, will never reply. You're stuck.
You'll likely get the item, but what the seller is probably doing is waiting for enough orders for said item so they can bulk buy from wherever and make a larger profit... or, they order the item from overseas (like an unnecessary middle-man)
and select the cheapest and slowest shipping option to maximise their profit.

It's likely like that.  In July, I ordered a dining table and chairs that were domestic shipping and they did the 'in transit' thing.  After two weeks, I went through the customer service who contacted the seller who said they were uncertain about the date.  I waited a little longer but found a different table set.  I guess different sellers may not be so easy about canceling.  But I found the Gmarket customer service to be fairly good with contacting and also cancelling.  I suppose going through them would give you a level of protection too. 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #10969 on: November 26, 2019, 12:19:04 pm »

This. Some sellers will set it as having been shipped already even if the item hasn't actually shipped because they're trying to prevent you from canceling the order while they wait on other customers to order the same thing (that way they can save on shipping costs to themselves by ordering in bulk). You can get around this by contacting Gmarket's customer service about it. They'll try to contact the seller and will give you an estimated time to wait. If you don't here back from either the seller or Gmarket by that time, you can follow up with Gmarket and get them to cancel the order.

They have an option where you can email or PM them through the site. It's how I did it both times I needed to.

When I tried to pm the seller through the site, I was getting errors but, this morning I pm'd gmarket customer service because of this.
Depending on how the seller responds, I might see if they can cancel it so I can order it from someone/where else, and try get it a lot sooner.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #10970 on: November 26, 2019, 12:48:58 pm »
We need more shame in this country. I don't like the aspect of face.

They're kids, you don't put em on TV, obviously, but you drag them up to the front and you embarrass them.

I don't mean gratuitously, I mean directly. "Are you 4? Is this kindergarten? My 3 year old cleans up her mess at home, can't you do the same?"

We need more shame.  The amount of resigned "그만" and "하지마" here drive me nuts.  And then the teacher just cleans up the mess for them! We're not their mother. Shame the shit out of some of these kids. If they cry, I don't give a shit. Stop yelling, stop running around like an idiot and clean up your bloody mess. This isn't revolutionary.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #10971 on: November 27, 2019, 08:07:06 am »
Stop yelling, stop running around like an idiot and clean up your bloody mess. This isn't revolutionary.

I was talking about this with the 1st-grade headteacher last week when we were in Boseong with the students.  We were staying in a lovely Hanok house with all the students, and mainly we, the teachers, were cooking and the students were eating.  Only two students helped out with the washing up after or any tidying.  The rest of the students sat around eating, chatting or using their phones.  I love my students very much, but like your comment, it gives you a view of what they have from their home life.  I know they're high school students and as such don't have a lot of free time, but still.  The one student who always helped, their parents came to the provincial contest with heaters, hot chocolate, and blankets for the students because we played two games three hours apart, and a day before a typhoon so it was pissing down.  Obviously, this student has lovely selfless parents, and that's rubbed off on them.   :undecided:

« Reply #10972 on: November 27, 2019, 08:30:39 am »
Stop yelling, stop running around like an idiot and clean up your bloody mess. This isn't revolutionary.

I was talking about this with the 1st-grade headteacher last week when we were in Boseong with the students.  We were staying in a lovely Hanok house with all the students, and mainly we, the teachers, were cooking and the students were eating.  Only two students helped out with the washing up after or any tidying.  The rest of the students sat around eating, chatting or using their phones.  I love my students very much, but like your comment, it gives you a view of what they have from their home life.  I know they're high school students and as such don't have a lot of free time, but still.  The one student who always helped, their parents came to the provincial contest with heaters, hot chocolate, and blankets for the students because we played two games three hours apart, and a day before a typhoon so it was pissing down.  Obviously, this student has lovely selfless parents, and that's rubbed off on them.   :undecided:

Yeah, a lot of my own students are super entitled and spoiled. Good kids deep down, but they have a lot of ideas about what they shouldn't have to do, thanks to their parents, lol. They feel it's every adult's duty to clean up after them, even if the adults aren't their parents. And then they become adults who think the same way, but it's harder for them to get away with it.

I force every single student to help, and I always get a ton who drag their feet, give me looks, and try to get away with doing a piss poor job because they don't think they should have to help. They think it's my job to do it for them, lol.

Nope. If you made the mess or ate the food, you're going to clean up after yourself. If you don't do it right the first time, I'm going to make you go back and do it again until you do it right. This includes clearing the tables, throwing away the garbage, and washing your own dishes. I'm here to teach and to keep you safe while you're with me.  I don't get paid to be your nanny.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #10973 on: November 27, 2019, 08:46:04 am »
I don't get paid to be your nanny.

I always remind the students of this if they're being dicks. "I'm not your mom." I don't love you and it's not my job to take care of you. I will respect you if it's mutual and I'm here to teach you English. That's it. 

:police: Put that in the garbage.

:shocked: *shoves garbage into desk*

:police: Like, wtf are you doing?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 08:50:27 am by CO2 »

« Reply #10974 on: November 27, 2019, 08:59:29 am »
I don't get paid to be your nanny.

I always remind the students of this if they're being dicks. "I'm not your mom." I don't love you and it's not my job to take care of you. I will respect you if it's mutual and I'm here to teach you English. That's it. 

:police: Put that in the garbage.

:shocked: *shoves garbage into desk*

:police: Like, wtf are you doing?

Gawd, this brings back memories of an old school. The desks in the English room were STUFFED with garbage from over the years. Absolutely compacted in. You wouldn't think it would be possible to stuff more garbage in, but students apparently managed it, or they tried pretty damn hard.

First thing I did was to get a cleaning crew assembled from students who were being disciplined, and I made them dig that shit out. And they literally had to dig. Everything they managed to get out filled three large garbage bags.

I have no ****** idea why the KTs in charge of the room before me allowed the kids to get away with that bullshit, but nah, you can't trust these kids to their own devices and expect them to do the honorable thing. While some will because they're being raised right and don't have their bad behaviors excused away with "they're kids" or "they have to study a lot", a ton won't.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 09:02:16 am by Chinguetti »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10975 on: November 27, 2019, 09:11:21 am »
why, in the freshest of hells, do schools insist on buying those desks with drawers under them?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #10976 on: November 27, 2019, 09:35:21 am »
My biggest problem are kids who act like they don't know that what they're doing is wrong. No matter how much you try to convince me, shrugging your shoulders and saying "I didn't know (that stuffing garbage in the desk/punching my friend in the chest/saying WHATTHEPUCKYOU) is wrong" just makes you look more stupid.

Own up to it and I'll give way much more respect. You can't convince me that you don't know what a friggin garbage can is. Not at the age of Grade 3 and higher.

« Reply #10977 on: November 27, 2019, 09:39:32 am »
My biggest problem are kids who act like they don't know that what they're doing is wrong. No matter how much you try to convince me, shrugging your shoulders and saying "I didn't know (that stuffing garbage in the desk/punching my friend in the chest/saying WHATTHEPUCKYOU) is wrong" just makes you look more stupid.

Own up to it and I'll give way much more respect. You can't convince me that you don't know what a friggin garbage can is. Not at the age of Grade 3 and higher.

2 possible reasons I've hypothesized:

1 - In Confucianism, there's no honor in admitting one's mistake and apologizing is the lowest thing you can do.

2 - The truly have not been taught a damn thing at home.

I can't decide which is more disturbing.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10978 on: November 27, 2019, 10:15:43 am »

they probably get away with it at home, perhaps even with their homeroom teachers. i mean, do adults here ever own up to something? i've always been told admitting you're wrong or made a mistake is a sign of weakness. imagine that

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #10979 on: November 27, 2019, 10:51:40 am »
Confucius himself said "A man who has committed a mistake and doesn't correct it is committing another mistake," so I'm not sure not apologizing or admitting to a mistake could genuinely be called a product of Confucianism.