• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #10900 on: November 06, 2019, 08:43:50 am »
Non-Americans who say or write "Y'all".

TBH even when Americans say it, outside southerners, i cant stand it.

I had never said that word once,  until I moved here.

Then I made a REALLY good friend from Virginia................................

Shout out to Bruce, Bruno and Jake, My Cucumber bros................
The joys of fauxtherhood

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #10901 on: November 06, 2019, 08:47:09 am »

I think this stuff is quite common. It seems like this is a convergence of language both subconsciously and consciously.

I know Australians have been known to say "no worries", now it's quite common elsewhere. English people would say "cheers", same thing as above. Inquiry was commonly a four-syllable word in places that now many use three.

The one I find most fascinating is the pronunciation of the word herb. Specifically, by Americans. I wonder if the h was spoken at one point and later dropped, or if it was never spoken. My tinfoil hat theory goes like this: "The English are all classy-like. I think the English do not pronounce the h at the beginning of words. If we didn't pronounce the h in herb, we would be classy-like."

fin

Posh English people have always pronounced the 'h' in words. it's the lower classes who traditionally drop it.  There have been many comedy skits of  working class people trying to speak posh by adding 'h's in the wrong place and missing them out where necessary.  E.g. I 'ope you think I'm a 'h'onest man' .

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #10902 on: November 06, 2019, 09:35:11 am »

I had never said that word once,  until I moved here.

Then I made a REALLY good friend from Virginia................................

Shout out to Bruce, Bruno and Jake, My Cucumber bros................

The only reason this disappoints me is that I'm unable to use that brilliant line from Pulp Fiction:

"Hey, my name's Paul, and this sh*t's between y'all."

« Reply #10903 on: November 06, 2019, 10:05:36 am »
Inquiry was commonly a four-syllable word in places that now many use three.

Now, this may explain my confusion with the pronunciation of this word these days.   I assumed they when they were talking about the 'Impeachment Inquiry'  it sounded like 'quiry' was more like how I would say 'query'.  So when they say on tv about the 'inquery', I was a bit confused.  I thought that it was a regional US thing, but now you mention it, they do say it like three syllables, instead of four.  But still doesn't quite make sense.  So 'query' would be exactly the same in US pronunciation?

I think that Brits saying 'awesome', just sounds so wrong.  Especially Brits saying 'totally awesome', just sounds plain weird.  North American pronunciation sounds more natural.  Also, 'sucks'.  I hate that expression.  When my sister uses it, it just sounds strange.  We'll keep out twaats, and you keep your 'sucks'.   

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #10904 on: November 06, 2019, 10:29:00 am »
My crap-bag school won't let me do a content check on homework..which is a separate book all together (included in the 5 different books they have to endure, in which case, are WAY above their level..it is rather pathetic and I feel sorry for them). 

I just wanted to.....have them open their books and show me they actually did the two pages that were assigned (only 6 kids in the class), rather than dumping the books  in my arms, having not done the work.....ask a question or two about the homework, to see if they actually read a sentence that they were responsible.

I know the useless Korean teachers don't engage them in a way that emphasizes speaking in complete sentences so I have to pick up the slack, in any way I can. 

Nope...can't do that do.  Parents will complain (because they have their books open, gathered around me...learning and enduring a spot check).

**** this school.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 11:22:42 am by NorthStar »

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #10905 on: November 06, 2019, 11:31:41 am »
grey:The one I find most fascinating is the pronunciation of the word herb. Specifically, by Americans. I wonder if the h was spoken at one point and later dropped, or if it was never spoken. My tinfoil hat theory goes like this: "The English are all classy-like. I think the English do not pronounce the h at the beginning of words. If we didn't pronounce the h in herb, we would be classy-like."

fin

Since you finished your post with a French mot, I figured you'd have connected the dots to herb coming to English from the French where they would've dropped the H.  I've always said erb.  When I hear someone say herbal tea with the H it just sounds wrong.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10906 on: November 12, 2019, 01:40:33 pm »
2 mins before class:
> manager: hello. someone will come and film your class in a minute
> me: ok, i was just going to do a quiz though...?
> manager: oh. you're doing a quiz umm.. maybe do something else
> me: (makes something up off the top of my head. is it supposed to show the studnts studying? having fun? anwering questions individually? i have no idea)
> film guy comes and films for 15 mins. he eventually leaves, shaking his head, looking unhappy

sigh

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #10907 on: November 12, 2019, 02:26:40 pm »
2 mins before class:
> me: (makes something up off the top of my head. is it supposed to show the studnts studying? having fun? anwering questions individually? i have no idea)
> film guy comes and films for 15 mins. he eventually leaves, shaking his head, looking unhappy

sigh

"Hey, dipshit, how about giving me more than 2 MINUTES notice when stuff is happening."

OR

How about asking me what the lesson is prior, like WELL PRIOR, and then if it's something not filmable, a la test, then come a different class. You film me, I don't perform for you. Remember that.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #10908 on: November 12, 2019, 02:35:00 pm »
I'm pretty certain I've transported this to the correct thread, B Farrell, haha.

So my main co-teacher has decided she hates me now, for some reason, and I cannot figure out why.  As far as I know, Monday last week everything was fine;  then I got sick that night with food poisoning so I ended up taking Tuesday off and when I came back Wednesday, everything had changed.

~I wasn't aware of anything wrong at first until Thursday during lunch hour, when I went to brush my teeth in the teacher's bathroom.

~Friday, the next day, I'm usually at my secondary school but I had received a message from my co-teacher at the secondary school that I wouldn't be needed there, so I was at my main school on Friday deskwarming and getting lessons done.

~Yesterday during a class with her, I was having problems with the students and I made the mistake of accidentally saying her name without adding 'teacher' at the end (I honestly make this mistake with my other cts, not just her, but the others usually let it go.

-Today I'm not even in the office for 10 mins in the morning when she calls my name (WITHOUT adding 'teacher' at the end, may I add?)

I'm not even hurt or anything that she doesn't like me (I honestly couldn't care less about it) but it's the random suddenness of it all. I literally was helping her decided which jacket/vest looked best on her two weeks ago and now she hates my guts and is undermining me in front of our students every-which-way. She's been teaching for like 25 years and apparently has a reputation from all of her schools about getting into fights and arguments with all of the teachers and I truly have been waiting for my day to come cause she's done this with the other teachers in department, but this is just ridiculous. I really can't wait for school to end in 6 weeks. I'm over this woman.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10909 on: November 12, 2019, 02:56:02 pm »
2 mins before class:

sigh

"Hey, dipshit, how about giving me more than 2 MINUTES notice when stuff is happening."

OR

How about asking me what the lesson is prior, like WELL PRIOR, and then if it's something not filmable, a la test, then come a different class. You film me, I don't perform for you. Remember that.
Lol well I talked to the other teachers (we have 6 at our elementary school) and apparently it needs to be more "fun", even though that's not what we do. Other native teachers had to be re-filmed. Wasn't my problem, at least

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #10910 on: November 13, 2019, 07:57:35 am »
10 minutes early for a year. Okay

10 minutes late once. KEVIN TEACHER, DILIGENCE.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10911 on: November 13, 2019, 08:12:12 am »
10 minutes early for a year. Okay

10 minutes late once. KEVIN TEACHER, DILIGENCE.
Yep. In Korea, I always feel like doing something well is never rewarded, but doing something slightly wrong is always punished

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10912 on: November 13, 2019, 03:15:50 pm »
A big fuking thank you to the bitch who just shoved past me on the subway, ripped the bag I was holding, making my stuff go all over the floor. Thanks again for looking at what happened, shrugging, and walking off

« Reply #10913 on: November 13, 2019, 03:38:04 pm »
A big fuking thank you to the bitch who just shoved past me on the subway, ripped the bag I was holding, making my stuff go all over the floor. Thanks again for looking at what happened, shrugging, and walking off
Special mention to the bitch who intentionally sped up to block me from changing lanes on my way home from school yesterday, forcing me make a mandatory right turn into a neighborhood that literally only has one road going in and out, making me drive all the way to the end of said road, make an awkward three point turn at the top with cars parked everywhere, come back down and wait at the traffic lights before turning back onto the road I started on. I don't care what Martino says, every second driver here is a bit of a poes.

I went back to Cape Town with my Korean girlfriend last year. She was constantly amazed at the common courtesy of our fellow motorists. Ironically, Capetonian drivers are somewhat infamous among other South Africans. But compared to Koreans they're goddamn saints.

• Cohort 2019
  • Veteran

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #10914 on: November 13, 2019, 04:22:14 pm »
 ;D Afrikaners saints?
incumbo studiis

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #10915 on: November 13, 2019, 07:46:49 pm »
Special mention to the bitch who intentionally sped up to block me from changing lanes on my way home from school yesterday, forcing me make a mandatory right turn into a neighborhood that literally only has one road going in and out, making me drive all the way to the end of said road, make an awkward three point turn at the top with cars parked everywhere, come back down and wait at the traffic lights before turning back onto the road I started on. I don't care what Martino says, every second driver here is a bit of a poes.

I went back to Cape Town with my Korean girlfriend last year. She was constantly amazed at the common courtesy of our fellow motorists. Ironically, Capetonian drivers are somewhat infamous among other South Africans. But compared to Koreans they're goddamn saints.

Yesterday, as I'm starting my car to pull out my parking bay I notice this massive 4X4 was blocking the exit to my apartments parking area (facing the exit). Engine was running and there was traffic blocking the road exiting the parking area. Cool, she's probably waiting for a lull in the traffic so she can exit the parking area and merge into traffic. Nope, the traffic drives off and she's still blocking the exit. I give a polite hoot, nothing... I lay on the hooter for a solid 10sec! Nothing! This is a covered parking area and anyone who isn't completely deaf is going to hear the sound of a damn hooter if the car blasting it is directly behind you.

I get out, bang on her window and she almost gets a heart attack. She apologises, this retard was chatting to her equally oblivious friend who didn't realize there's a freaking car behind them laying on the horn! The drive off and unfortunately, they're driving on the same direction I'm heading. Cars are parked on the side of the road and there's no space to overtake. She's travelling at about 5... maybe 10km/h. I'm hooting, there car behind me is hooting! Eventually, there's an opening and I overtake her, so does the guy behind me.

Cape Town taxi drivers would find this shitshow shocking.

« Reply #10916 on: November 14, 2019, 08:42:22 am »
Yeah. I have to agree - there's an alarming percentage of terrible drivers here. Not to mention people on bikes and motorcycles wearing with earbuds in so they can't hear what's going on around them. And people on their phones while they're driving - ugh.

« Reply #10917 on: November 14, 2019, 08:48:26 am »
I'm pretty certain I've transported this to the correct thread, B Farrell, haha.

So my main co-teacher has decided she hates me now, for some reason, and I cannot figure out why.  As far as I know, Monday last week everything was fine;  then I got sick that night with food poisoning so I ended up taking Tuesday off and when I came back Wednesday, everything had changed.

~I wasn't aware of anything wrong at first until Thursday during lunch hour, when I went to brush my teeth in the teacher's bathroom.

~Friday, the next day, I'm usually at my secondary school but I had received a message from my co-teacher at the secondary school that I wouldn't be needed there, so I was at my main school on Friday deskwarming and getting lessons done.

~Yesterday during a class with her, I was having problems with the students and I made the mistake of accidentally saying her name without adding 'teacher' at the end (I honestly make this mistake with my other cts, not just her, but the others usually let it go.

-Today I'm not even in the office for 10 mins in the morning when she calls my name (WITHOUT adding 'teacher' at the end, may I add?)

I'm not even hurt or anything that she doesn't like me (I honestly couldn't care less about it) but it's the random suddenness of it all. I literally was helping her decided which jacket/vest looked best on her two weeks ago and now she hates my guts and is undermining me in front of our students every-which-way. She's been teaching for like 25 years and apparently has a reputation from all of her schools about getting into fights and arguments with all of the teachers and I truly have been waiting for my day to come cause she's done this with the other teachers in department, but this is just ridiculous. I really can't wait for school to end in 6 weeks. I'm over this woman.

CO2 you are a gem!

Thank you!

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #10918 on: November 14, 2019, 01:22:37 pm »
Yeah. I have to agree - there's an alarming percentage of terrible drivers here. Not to mention people on bikes and motorcycles wearing with earbuds in so they can't hear what's going on around them. And people on their phones while they're driving - ugh.

How did the f*** did all those folks pass their driving test?
Does the Korean driving test not teach how to drive safely and considerately. Or do Koreans just bottle their assholery attitude until they pass the test?

« Reply #10919 on: November 14, 2019, 01:31:53 pm »

How did the f*** did all those folks pass their driving test?
Does the Korean driving test not teach how to drive safely and considerately. Or do Koreans just bottle their assholery attitude until they pass the test?

I mean, there are plenty of terrible drivers in other countries who also somehow managed to pass a driving test. I think it's more down to the fact that when there's an instructor watching them making sure they do the right thing, they're basically competent drivers, but then as soon as they start driving on their own and feel like nobody is there to tell them off if they do something wrong, they just drive however they want.

And seriously. There are so many awful drivers here.