Read 1936197 times

• Renma
  • Adventurer

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #10880 on: October 31, 2019, 03:45:22 pm »

Oh on my cell phone running Android i can see the ads. Only windiws has the ad blocker.

Look up youtube vanced. Has adblock, background playback, and other features. I never use the stock youtube app anymore.

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #10881 on: October 31, 2019, 04:40:05 pm »
There was this silly woman today sitting on the busy steps going down to the line 4 platform at Sadang. She had her bag next to her to make it worse. I had to jump over the bag. Not sure what the hundreds of people behind me did but she was certainly going to get walked on. I was tempted to step on her bag. Why would you do it? I yelled something out to her as i jumped over her bag. Probably everyone else would understand her "special and unique" situation.

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10882 on: October 31, 2019, 06:37:42 pm »
Last night I was sitting at the window in a bar in HBC. I'm not sure what the name of the road is... It's a big hill that has Jacoby's burger place, Pocket bar, etc. Anyway, a woman who had some affiliation with the bar, or was possibly a supplier, parked her car half-on, half-off the sidewalk while she came in to drop off some stuff. I don't know exactly how long she was there, maybe 5-10 minutes, when someone inevitably smashed into it. Cue big commotion, the woman shocked that leaving her car jutting into a busy road could have consequences, the other driver (who was probably on his phone when he hit her car) shocked that Korean roadways sometimes have obstacles that require using one's peripheral vision.

While they were outside dealing with the insurance, making phone calls, etc., another woman pulled up behind them, presumably thinking this was a good impromptu parking zone, and left about 3/4 of her car sitting in the lane, with just her right wheels on the sidewalk. I probably don't need to tell you that she was paying absolutely no attention to what was going on in front of her, and spent at least 5 minutes sending text messages and using her phone to do her makeup. By doing so, she blocked other drivers' view of the accident so they had to swerve around her, and then quickly swerve again to avoid the two cars that had collided. Finally a tow truck and the police came (the guy who collided into the first parked car had blown his tire). Of course, they were blocked by the idiot consuming almost an entire lane so she could do her makeup. Also, they probably thought she had something to do with the accident, so they parked in a way that completely hemmed her in. Only then did she take any notice of what was going on, and promptly set about looking pouty and panicked, then started doing a bunch of ridiculous mini-moves in the car - a little reverse here, a tiny twist there...

That was all the stupidity I could take and at this point I had to look away.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:50:20 pm by fka »

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #10883 on: November 01, 2019, 06:41:21 am »
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #10884 on: November 01, 2019, 08:06:31 am »

« Reply #10885 on: November 01, 2019, 08:10:21 am »
Gotta love it. The lady who owns/manages the villa across the street from my place (I am on the inside of a corner) has 200IQ. So instead of pushing all the garbage along the road into a pile, putting it into a bag and throwing it out in the bins 20 meters away she just leaves it in a pile across the street from my building. This isn't a 1 off, she has been doing this for 2 years. 

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #10886 on: November 01, 2019, 08:11:35 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfki5G8yU2k
Yeah. The city looked particularly post apocalyptic when i opened the curtains this morning.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #10887 on: November 01, 2019, 09:31:03 am »

When it comes to the knee, and since you're active, it's almost certain that you've got a bio-mechanical imbalance. The usual suspects are relatively weak/tight: core, glute meds, hamstrings, hip flexors or calves. Try strengthening the above and getting them more flexible. The tape isn't a cure, but it does help you get through the rehab process.

Cool.  Will look into this more.  I've been a member of the gym in my apartment complex since I've lived there as it's only 10 000 won and there are all the machines etc I'll need in the short term.  I think it's just the fact I'll have to change my exercise/training routine.  If it's nice outside, I love to go outside especially now it's cooler and the autumn leaves are changing.  But I suppose now this'll have to take precedence over that, as I need to get to the bottom of it and work at improving it.

This is one bit of living not only in Korea, but in the countryside.  The lack of decent rehab stuff.  Even in Seoul, like you said, stuff like the Gait analysis is nowhere about.  Also, with respect to medical insurance too.  Coming form England, there were always other alternatives, which were free and more beneficial to fitness and recovery and better in the long run.  Even water/swimming therapy would be a good benefit, I suppose, but as my city only has two swimming pools, it's always pandemonium there and probably wouldn't be that nice to do at all. 

After I last dislocated my shoulder 6 years ago, I went to Seoul (takes two hours) every Saturday, for sports therapy in Itaewon for two hours.  It got me 95% of my range of motion back, if slightly painfully done, but that's what I needed to do.  Maybe, I'll just have to wait until go back to England in the winter and do the Gait analysis in London. 

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #10888 on: November 06, 2019, 08:22:26 am »
Non-Americans who say or write "Y'all".

TBH even when Americans say it, outside southerners, i cant stand it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 08:24:04 am by zola »
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #10889 on: November 06, 2019, 08:36:31 am »

I think this stuff is quite common. It seems like this is a convergence of language both subconsciously and consciously.

I know Australians have been known to say "no worries", now it's quite common elsewhere. English people would say "cheers", same thing as above. Inquiry was commonly a four-syllable word in places that now many use three.

The one I find most fascinating is the pronunciation of the word herb. Specifically, by Americans. I wonder if the h was spoken at one point and later dropped, or if it was never spoken. My tinfoil hat theory goes like this: "The English are all classy-like. I think the English do not pronounce the h at the beginning of words. If we didn't pronounce the h in herb, we would be classy-like."

fin
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 08:38:06 am by grey »
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #10890 on: November 06, 2019, 08:43:50 am »

I had never said that word once,  until I moved here.

Then I made a REALLY good friend from Virginia........... ................... ..

Shout out to Bruce, Bruno and Jake, My Cucumber bros............... .
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #10891 on: November 06, 2019, 08:47:09 am »

I think this stuff is quite common. It seems like this is a convergence of language both subconsciously and consciously.

I know Australians have been known to say "no worries", now it's quite common elsewhere. English people would say "cheers", same thing as above. Inquiry was commonly a four-syllable word in places that now many use three.

The one I find most fascinating is the pronunciation of the word herb. Specifically, by Americans. I wonder if the h was spoken at one point and later dropped, or if it was never spoken. My tinfoil hat theory goes like this: "The English are all classy-like. I think the English do not pronounce the h at the beginning of words. If we didn't pronounce the h in herb, we would be classy-like."

fin

Posh English people have always pronounced the 'h' in words. it's the lower classes who traditionally drop it.  There have been many comedy skits of  working class people trying to speak posh by adding 'h's in the wrong place and missing them out where necessary.  E.g. I 'ope you think I'm a 'h'onest man' .

« Reply #10892 on: November 06, 2019, 09:35:11 am »

I had never said that word once,  until I moved here.

Then I made a REALLY good friend from Virginia........... ................... ..

Shout out to Bruce, Bruno and Jake, My Cucumber bros............... .

The only reason this disappoints me is that I'm unable to use that brilliant line from Pulp Fiction:

"Hey, my name's Paul, and this sh*t's between y'all."

« Reply #10893 on: November 06, 2019, 10:05:36 am »
Inquiry was commonly a four-syllable word in places that now many use three.

Now, this may explain my confusion with the pronunciation of this word these days.   I assumed they when they were talking about the 'Impeachment Inquiry'  it sounded like 'quiry' was more like how I would say 'query'.  So when they say on tv about the 'inquery', I was a bit confused.  I thought that it was a regional US thing, but now you mention it, they do say it like three syllables, instead of four.  But still doesn't quite make sense.  So 'query' would be exactly the same in US pronunciation?

I think that Brits saying 'awesome', just sounds so wrong.  Especially Brits saying 'totally awesome', just sounds plain weird.  North American pronunciation sounds more natural.  Also, 'sucks'.  I hate that expression.  When my sister uses it, it just sounds strange.  We'll keep out twaats, and you keep your 'sucks'.   

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #10894 on: November 06, 2019, 10:29:00 am »
My crap-bag school won't let me do a content check on homework..which is a separate book all together (included in the 5 different books they have to endure, in which case, are WAY above their level..it is rather pathetic and I feel sorry for them). 

I just wanted to.....have them open their books and show me they actually did the two pages that were assigned (only 6 kids in the class), rather than dumping the books  in my arms, having not done the work.....ask a question or two about the homework, to see if they actually read a sentence that they were responsible.

I know the useless Korean teachers don't engage them in a way that emphasizes speaking in complete sentences so I have to pick up the slack, in any way I can. 

Nope...can't do that do.  Parents will complain (because they have their books open, gathered around me...learning and enduring a spot check).

**** this school.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 11:22:42 am by NorthStar »

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #10895 on: November 06, 2019, 11:31:41 am »
grey:The one I find most fascinating is the pronunciation of the word herb. Specifically, by Americans. I wonder if the h was spoken at one point and later dropped, or if it was never spoken. My tinfoil hat theory goes like this: "The English are all classy-like. I think the English do not pronounce the h at the beginning of words. If we didn't pronounce the h in herb, we would be classy-like."

fin

Since you finished your post with a French mot, I figured you'd have connected the dots to herb coming to English from the French where they would've dropped the H.  I've always said erb.  When I hear someone say herbal tea with the H it just sounds wrong.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10896 on: November 12, 2019, 01:40:33 pm »
2 mins before class:
> manager: hello. someone will come and film your class in a minute
> me: ok, i was just going to do a quiz though...?
> manager: oh. you're doing a quiz umm.. maybe do something else
> me: (makes something up off the top of my head. is it supposed to show the studnts studying? having fun? anwering questions individually? i have no idea)
> film guy comes and films for 15 mins. he eventually leaves, shaking his head, looking unhappy

sigh

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #10897 on: November 12, 2019, 02:26:40 pm »
2 mins before class:
> me: (makes something up off the top of my head. is it supposed to show the studnts studying? having fun? anwering questions individually? i have no idea)
> film guy comes and films for 15 mins. he eventually leaves, shaking his head, looking unhappy

sigh

"Hey, dipshit, how about giving me more than 2 MINUTES notice when stuff is happening."

OR

How about asking me what the lesson is prior, like WELL PRIOR, and then if it's something not filmable, a la test, then come a different class. You film me, I don't perform for you. Remember that.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #10898 on: November 12, 2019, 02:35:00 pm »
I'm pretty certain I've transported this to the correct thread, B Farrell, haha.

So my main co-teacher has decided she hates me now, for some reason, and I cannot figure out why.  As far as I know, Monday last week everything was fine;  then I got sick that night with food poisoning so I ended up taking Tuesday off and when I came back Wednesday, everything had changed.

~I wasn't aware of anything wrong at first until Thursday during lunch hour, when I went to brush my teeth in the teacher's bathroom.

~Friday, the next day, I'm usually at my secondary school but I had received a message from my co-teacher at the secondary school that I wouldn't be needed there, so I was at my main school on Friday deskwarming and getting lessons done.

~Yesterday during a class with her, I was having problems with the students and I made the mistake of accidentally saying her name without adding 'teacher' at the end (I honestly make this mistake with my other cts, not just her, but the others usually let it go.

-Today I'm not even in the office for 10 mins in the morning when she calls my name (WITHOUT adding 'teacher' at the end, may I add?)

I'm not even hurt or anything that she doesn't like me (I honestly couldn't care less about it) but it's the random suddenness of it all. I literally was helping her decided which jacket/vest looked best on her two weeks ago and now she hates my guts and is undermining me in front of our students every-which-way. She's been teaching for like 25 years and apparently has a reputation from all of her schools about getting into fights and arguments with all of the teachers and I truly have been waiting for my day to come cause she's done this with the other teachers in department, but this is just ridiculous. I really can't wait for school to end in 6 weeks. I'm over this woman.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10899 on: November 12, 2019, 02:56:02 pm »
2 mins before class:

sigh

"Hey, dipshit, how about giving me more than 2 MINUTES notice when stuff is happening."

OR

How about asking me what the lesson is prior, like WELL PRIOR, and then if it's something not filmable, a la test, then come a different class. You film me, I don't perform for you. Remember that.
Lol well I talked to the other teachers (we have 6 at our elementary school) and apparently it needs to be more "fun", even though that's not what we do. Other native teachers had to be re-filmed. Wasn't my problem, at least