Read 1578963 times

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #10860 on: October 30, 2019, 07:30:31 pm »
keep seeing adverts on tv with something called "cone dancing". just realised they are saying "condensing" or "콘덴싱". not sure wtf feature that is still though

edit: hangeul worked! must be a problem with my weird work computer

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10861 on: October 30, 2019, 07:43:05 pm »
Korea and Japan reached a final settlement in the 60s. Once you've settled, it's final, you can't demand settlement again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSfhRdzBKwc

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #10862 on: October 31, 2019, 07:55:12 am »
Good idea - Employing crossing guards so kids can get to school safely.

Bad idea - Employing a crossing guard with the situational awareness and intelligence of a dirty dishcloth.

The dickhead in question didn't check to see if there were any cars approaching the crossing and decided to raise the crossing flag as my car was going over the crossing. Not only did his pole nearly hit my car, but a few equally oblivious kids took the raised flag as a start gun for a track meet and bolted from the sidewalk, without looking of course, and nearly ran into the side of my car.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #10863 on: October 31, 2019, 08:32:17 am »
All I wanted was a phucking fresh CHEESE pizza (made at E-Mart) and they could not do it.  But they can make combination pizza..............this pucking place, these phucking people.
It's probably done by POS software, so if no button for cheese pizza, they can't do it. Or get this, it's a miscommunication. Why? They're probably assuming you'll want a lower price, which they can't do.  Or, considering that most Korean pizza places DO offer Cheese Pizza, they might be thinking you're asking for a cheese pizza as though it's a menu item, and they're telling you "No, it's not a menu item."

Instead just order a combination pizza and say "Pepperoni baego;, etc. etc." That might make them understand that you're willing to pay full price, you just want things off. HOWEVER, they still might be unwilling because they're either A) Concerned their boss will pitch a fit B) Concerned some customers might suddenly demand cheese pizzas and then demand substantially lower prices

Here's the flip side to consider with Asian "lack of expression" and "just accepting things": Give me 50 Asian customers and they'll order 50 standard pizzas off of our standard menu and there will be virtually no fuss (not sure about here, where I imagine someone will get in a huff about their points card or some crap). They'll get their stuff 8 minutes after they order it, freshly baked, no mistakes. With one employee on the register and one on the makeline, I could probably get those 50 pizzas made and those people served in about 30-40 minutes total (the pizzas bake on a conveyor so total time is less than individual make time for each pizza- 1 pizza takes 8 minutes, but 2 pizzas take 9 minutes)

Give me 50 waygook customers and it would take significantly longer.
"No we don't have gluten-free crust"
"No our chicken isn't free-range"
"No we don't have vegetarian pepperoni"
"No, we don't have kosher bacon"

"Can I have you combination pizza, but with white sauce instead of tomato sauce. And no black olives. And can I substitute roasted red pepper for green pepper. And instead of sausage, can I have seasoned herbed chicken breast?"
"Seasoned herbed chicken breast will be $1 extra"
"What? Why?"

Of course with 50 different things being changed and customized, inevitably you get mistakes. During non-peak times, special requests are pretty easy. When the store is slammed and you have pizzas almost falling out of the oven because you're overworked and understaffed, all that individuality and customization adds another layer of issues and more chances for something to go wrong. And once one thing goes wrong it tends to back everything else up. The system is designed for efficiency and repetition and to be done by relatively unskilled labor. Yet the average customer treats a franchised quick service place as their personal chef.

Everything is a trade off. Back home I can get a pizza made just the way I want it. I'm also getting that factored into costs and order time and the odds that my food will arrive messed up.

Anyways, the average quick service food customer is an idiot. They believe they should be able to get a large pizza with up to 5 toppings, with wings and breadsticks and a soda for $20, delivered in 30 minutes. The store should also go through intense inspection and follow a list of regulations the size of James Joyce's 'Ulysses'. The employees should all be paid $15/hour with health insurance and who knows what else. The delivery vehicles should all be eco-friendly. And there should be a ton of people staffing the place at all times to ensure efficient service.

Wrong...they must won't make it.  Why?  Because their head office won't allow them....but they can make a combination, and a 1/2 and 1/2....but no simple cheese pizza. 

At other places, like Pizza School, one cannot get what they want either...and, it can be done on their POS.

When I go to dominoes pizza here in Korea, I ask for a pizza with no mushrooms and green peppers.
I've never been told no; and it's never been a problem. :O I've also been during busy times.
I know it happens to others, and it would suck when it happens.

There is a KT shop in the slightly bigger small town from me, where the 1 lady that works there will absolutely refuse to let me into the shop without a Korean person with me.
When my contract finished, and I got told I could go renew it for a large discount, I went a couple times by myself, and tried to show her the message from KT (which was is in Korean), she literally just tried pushing me out the door while saying "opso" repeatedly. Finally managed to get my co-T on a non-busy day to come with me, and it took like 5 minutes, and while she was doing it, she'd keep looking at me, and giving me an angry facial expression haha.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #10864 on: October 31, 2019, 08:46:21 am »
When I go to dominoes pizza here in Korea, I ask for a pizza with no mushrooms and green peppers.
I've never been told no; and it's never been a problem. :O I've also been during busy times.
I know it happens to others, and it would suck when it happens.

There is a KT shop in the slightly bigger small town from me, where the 1 lady that works there will absolutely refuse to let me into the shop without a Korean person with me.
When my contract finished, and I got told I could go renew it for a large discount, I went a couple times by myself, and tried to show her the message from KT (which was is in Korean), she literally just tried pushing me out the door while saying "opso" repeatedly. Finally managed to get my co-T on a non-busy day to come with me, and it took like 5 minutes, and while she was doing it, she'd keep looking at me, and giving me an angry facial expression haha.

...enter Dr. D, to howl about its a miscommunication or some other excuse which in turns, ends up being your fault. 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #10865 on: October 31, 2019, 08:50:01 am »
Uhhhh. I dunno about E-Mart's head office prohibiting them from making cheese pizzas.

Looks like they make cheese pizzas at both E-Mart and E-Mart Traders. So... I mean, I feel like that's not really the case. Like, they're literally on the menu. They're called the Cheese Deluxe Pizza.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

In my first year, I got a pizza from E-mart or Homeplus. The closest the had to an Hawaiian pizza, was like ham, cheese, pineapple, egg, and sweet potato.
One of the foreign teachers that was showing me around, asked in Korean to just exclude the egg and sweet potato (allergic to egg, and don't like sweet potato), wasn't a problem them too. :p

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #10866 on: October 31, 2019, 08:55:06 am »
Also, is anyone else getting crazy large google ads in the middle of peoples posts? :O

« Reply #10867 on: October 31, 2019, 09:04:50 am »
Also, is anyone else getting crazy large google ads in the middle of peoples posts? :O

yes and it is far from my favorite new "feature"

« Reply #10868 on: October 31, 2019, 09:21:29 am »
Waygookin: 1 large cheese pizza please.  :smiley:

Demartino: Our state of the art pen and notepad aren't able to decipher 'cheese pizza' therefore your request has been denied. Now I can offer you a combination pizza with loads of shit on you don't like as a replacement or you can get the **** out of here you foreign culturally insensitive cesspit of a person. My grandparents don't collect weeds from the side of a highway with cars driving past inches from their crippled spines at 130kph for you to come in here and order a ****** cheese pizza.  :evil:

Korean walks in: 85 pizza (phlegm ) balli joe

Demartino: 알겠습니다!  :afro:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 09:34:50 am by AvecPommesFrites »
Who is here in 2019?

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #10869 on: October 31, 2019, 09:27:24 am »

I don't see those ads but i do have an ad blocker so maybe that is why. Absolutely essential if you are showing YouTube in class to your students too - no annoying ads. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10870 on: October 31, 2019, 09:30:00 am »

Yeah. Insanely annoying, I agree

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #10871 on: October 31, 2019, 09:34:50 am »
I don't see those ads but i do have an ad blocker so maybe that is why. Absolutely essential if you are showing YouTube in class to your students too - no annoying ads. 

Unpopular opinion, but if you don't pay a fee for a service, then watch the ad.

Youtube is free. That's the cost. The ad.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #10872 on: October 31, 2019, 10:00:30 am »
I think everyone here needs to remember a few things-
1) Kids everywhere love to wind up their teachers. You may say this was never done during your time as a kid, but I suspect that in at least one class, you and your friends did something to get the teacher going. Especially when a good chunk of people on this forum are people who have tales of drunken misadventure for much of their 20s. If you did that when you were 28, odds are you did that when you were 8.
2) Kids everywhere love to invent ways to try and get out of schoolwork. It's all part of the game. Also, kids are messy everywhere. I know you think you were a model of hygiene and trash disposal, but one feel on the inside of a 3rd grade desk back home and you'll quickly realize how universal this is. Enjoy the various things things that your hand will feel/become attached to
3) If you want to discipline, increase in severity the response, not your tone. Explode with giving them extra assignments or cleanup duty. Not exploding with screaming and yelling.

Everyone...everywhere...maybe in another life in another time and space, but sure as heck not my childhood going to school. I never saw behaviour like that in any school I attended, ever.

It's all fun and games until dad is standing in front of a court martial hearing cuz little Johnny misbehaved.

« Reply #10873 on: October 31, 2019, 10:03:29 am »
Getting old is shit.  I turned my right knee a few weeks ago but it wasn't painful at the time, but since then my knee kind of clicks (not audibly) when I walk.  So I went to the doctor in Daejeon yesterday and he said I have 'early osteoarthritis' in my right knee.  I love being active, doing exercising, hiking, football etc.  Now, I suppose I've got to rethink what to do to keep active without making this crap worse.  I might get a second opinion in Seoul in the next couple of weeks...   :undecided:  Like I said, getting old is crap. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 10:07:39 am by Ronnie Omelettes »

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #10874 on: October 31, 2019, 10:17:13 am »
Getting old is shit.  I turned my right knee a few weeks ago but it wasn't painful at the time, but since then my knee kind of clicks (not audibly) when I walk.  So I went to the doctor in Daejeon yesterday and he said I have 'early osteoarthritis' in my right knee.  I love being active, doing exercising, hiking, football etc.  Now, I suppose I've got to rethink what to do to keep active without making this crap worse.  I might get a second opinion in Seoul in the next couple of weeks...   :undecided:  Like I said, getting old is crap. 

Yes it is. Cold damp weather is murder on the body. That's why I left the Maritimes and could handle only as many years as I did in Korea. Hot and dry is the way to be.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #10875 on: October 31, 2019, 10:37:05 am »

I'd have agreed with you back when banners and sidebar ads were all we had to deal with. I have/had zero problems with stuff like that, and I never used blockers in those days. Once they started putting video ads at the start of every video and/or interrupting particularly long videos, I started using blockers. I understand needing to pay for a service, but not if your method of paying for it actively makes the service worse.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 11:05:00 am by Mister Tim »

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #10876 on: October 31, 2019, 10:58:06 am »

Oh on my cell phone running Android i can see the ads. Only windiws has the ad blocker.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10877 on: October 31, 2019, 11:03:19 am »

while i agree in theory, the ads are so insanely annoying, that it just makes me stop using youtube altogether. does youtube even make a profit? can't imagine how much it would cost to host/stream so many videos

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #10878 on: October 31, 2019, 11:51:10 am »

Get KT-Tape, not the crappy Chinese or Korean ripoffs, the real tape. I train for sprinting 6 days a week and the tape really does minimize the risk of my knees and ankles getting injured.
Other than the tape, RICE; Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #10879 on: October 31, 2019, 11:57:15 am »
After hiking my calves, quads and other leg muscles used to hurt.

Nowadays, my knees, ankles and a hip ache.