• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #10820 on: October 29, 2019, 03:33:24 pm »
koreans just love getting mugged off

« Reply #10821 on: October 29, 2019, 04:31:38 pm »
koreans just love getting mugged off

Best I saw was in Yongsan E-Mart in the organic section a few years back.  A normal-sized pack of organic butter for 48 000 won. 

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #10822 on: October 29, 2019, 07:47:10 pm »
Wrong...they must won't make it.  Why?  Because their head office won't allow them....but they can make a combination, and a 1/2 and 1/2....but no simple cheese pizza. 

At other places, like Pizza School, one cannot get what they want either...and, it can be done on their POS.
You are intimately familiar with the head office policy of EMart pizza as well as the POS system that is used at Pizza School?

As I said, there's probably a miscommunication involved. I'm assuming in your conversation with whatever ajumma or disinterested 19 year old was running the EMart Pizza stand, did not involve an in-depth discussion of head office policies in fluent Korean. Did you actually try ordering a combination MINUS all the toppings? Or did you just keep on saying "Cheese Pizza!" and then getting angry and frustrated?

Nope..no miscommunication involved. 

Someone who spoke English came over and told me that despite it takes less work to make a cheese pizza and being able to ring it, up, head office said they can't and won't. 

Care to continue?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 08:42:17 am by NorthStar »

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #10823 on: October 30, 2019, 09:11:16 am »
Wrong...they must won't make it.  Why?  Because their head office won't allow them....but they can make a combination, and a 1/2 and 1/2....but no simple cheese pizza. 

At other places, like Pizza School, one cannot get what they want either...and, it can be done on their POS.
You are intimately familiar with the head office policy of EMart pizza as well as the POS system that is used at Pizza School?

As I said, there's probably a miscommunication involved. I'm assuming in your conversation with whatever ajumma or disinterested 19 year old was running the EMart Pizza stand, did not involve an in-depth discussion of head office policies in fluent Korean. Did you actually try ordering a combination MINUS all the toppings? Or did you just keep on saying "Cheese Pizza!" and then getting angry and frustrated?

Someone who spoke English came over and told me that despite it takes less work to make a cheese pizza and being able to ring it, up, head office said they can't and won't. 

Care to continue?

Maybe they did it to spite you? They didn't like the cut of your jib. Maybe they did it for laughs.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #10824 on: October 30, 2019, 09:51:53 am »

Let me get this straight, despite you not getting your cheese pizza and leaving to get something else and just ordering pizza from home OR GIVING UP, ORDERING A COMBINATION, AND CONTINUING YOUR SHOPPING you stay around there long enough for some Korean person to come over, ask the person about the whole cheese pizza thing and then report this to you?

All while you ADDITIONALLY have knowledge of Pizza School's POS system?

Also "despite it takes less work to make a cheese pizza and being able to ring it, up, head office said they can't and won't." doesn't sound like how a Korean person would talk and say this. In the spirit of Dave Chappelle, "that sounds like something that YOU would say"

Anyways, likely grossly exaggerated story aside, I will concede that it IS possible that the EMart store might have that policy. And that is this- The EMart pizza places are not standard pizza places. They typically offer what, 3 kinds of pizzas? And they churn them out constantly. They might just have a blanket policy of ZERO customization in any form for anyone. Likely because you let one person do it, then everyone can do it and that isn't a good system for what their model is, which is basically a 3-choice "Model T in any color, as long as it's black" assembly line. If you can't your own toppings, wings, soda, cheese crust, garlic butter sides, and so on and so on, go to Mr. Pizza and pay more.

« Reply #10825 on: October 30, 2019, 10:05:25 am »
Maybe they did it to spite you? They didn't like the cut of your jib. Maybe they did it for laughs.
This is always possible. They picked up on the hater vibe and decided to not put up with him.

Flour, salt, tomato sauce, cheese. Various meats and frozen veges. Hardly ingredients from the Amazon that require importation. I'd say almost all of it is sourced locally or some even cheaper Chinese stuff.
In terms of population relative to arable land, Korea is one of the worst large-sized countries in the world.  That is going to increase costs, especially for something like cheese, which isn't at the same level of demand and requires livestock. Cheese is almost always the #1 foodcost part of a pizza. The price fluctuates significantly and at times can really get out of hand. After that comes the meats and the spice pack that goes into the sauce. Pizza place vegetables are seldom frozen unless you're talking some scuzzy pub's pizza. Plus, you get one outbreak of foot and mouth or something running through the country and if you only used domestic meat,the price would spike.

By it's very nature, Korea is always going to be somewhat expensive for food, especially food that isn't traditionally Korean. You need to get at a truly massive scale like McDonald's (and even then it's a little more expensive here) to get that low.

The other big costs would be energy, specifically refrigeration, which is more expensive than North America. However, for these smaller places, many of which don't seem to have walk-in refrigerator's, that might not be the case. And thanks to Moon Jae-In, now labor is a factor, although not THAT significantly for many pizza places because most smaller ones or Pizza Schools appear to be family-owned and operated (aside from a Domino's or Mr. Pizza) with maybe one local kid they hire.

Now you can still get a pretty cheap pizza here- Pizza School being comparable to Little Caesar's. But then again, they did have that "plastic cheese" fiasco a few year's back and they don't exactly lather on the pepperoni.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10826 on: October 30, 2019, 10:17:35 am »

Care to continue?

yeah but in korea "can't do something" often means "don't want to / can't be bothered to do something"

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #10827 on: October 30, 2019, 10:18:29 am »
This thread is dead. Its original purpose has been lost.

On top of that, there are some seriously insufferable people on this site these days. It was irritating but still tolerable when it was just the occasional apologist, but now it's Ultrapologist up there and the aggressive political dongs. 

Does anyone here frequent the Site-which-shall-not-be-named that popped up when this one started charging? How's the atmosphere over there? I need somewhere else to go.

« Reply #10828 on: October 30, 2019, 10:31:51 am »
This thread is dead. Its original purpose has been lost.

On top of that, there are some seriously insufferable people on this site these days. It was irritating but still tolerable when it was just the occasional apologist, but now it's Ultrapologist up there and the aggressive political dongs. 

Does anyone here frequent the Site-which-shall-not-be-named that popped up when this one started charging? How's the atmosphere over there? I need somewhere else to go.

Yeah I've tried really hard to stop reading and posting here so much.  It was having a big effect on my mood generally.  The difference in atmosphere over there is like night and day.  Really friendly, welcoming, supportive etc.  No trolling or ratty comments, no endless bragging, no my job is better than your job, no multi quote essays.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #10829 on: October 30, 2019, 10:37:32 am »

Yeah I've tried really hard to stop reading and posting here so much.  It was having a big effect on my mood generally.  The difference in atmosphere over there is like night and day.  Really friendly, welcoming, supportive etc.  No trolling or ratty comments, no endless bragging, no my job is better than your job, no multi quote essays.

Is it reasonably active? Or are there long stretches where nothing is getting bumped? As far as conversation-type threads, that is. I'm pretty set as far as lesson materials go.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #10830 on: October 30, 2019, 10:46:55 am »

Is it reasonably active? Or are there long stretches where nothing is getting bumped? As far as conversation-type threads, that is. I'm pretty set as far as lesson materials go.

last i checked it wasnt too active (maybe a year ago?) but yeah it would be cool if it was more active these days

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #10831 on: October 30, 2019, 11:28:59 am »
Is it reasonably active?

It really isn't.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #10832 on: October 30, 2019, 11:42:53 am »
Well that's a shame.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #10833 on: October 30, 2019, 11:45:00 am »
Is it reasonably active?

It really isn't.

Yeah, I periodically pop over to that place for a gander at some lessons and unless you're looking to join the scrolling side bar convo those forums don't seem to get any action.  And that side bar theme seems to be "If you're bored write everything and anything you're thinking."  And pretty sure, if the forums did get sufficient action we would see the next evolution of Korea's angriest man Steelrails/DeMartino/? start to inhabit the site. 

« Reply #10834 on: October 30, 2019, 11:45:30 am »
Uhhhh. I dunno about E-Mart's head office prohibiting them from making cheese pizzas.

Looks like they make cheese pizzas at both E-Mart and E-Mart Traders. So... I mean, I feel like that's not really the case. Like, they're literally on the menu. They're called the Cheese Deluxe Pizza.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 12:22:47 pm by #basedcowboyshirt »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Gunpo
    more

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10836 on: October 30, 2019, 12:36:15 pm »
anyway i remember emart pizzas being fairly good (apart from their "chicago" pizza, which is one of the worst pizzas i've ever had

best pizza delivery places? mine is 7번가피자

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #10837 on: October 30, 2019, 12:48:59 pm »
anyway i remember emart pizzas being fairly good (apart from their "chicago" pizza, which is one of the worst pizzas i've ever had

best pizza delivery places? mine is 7번가피자

Yeah, definitely......... ................... ...............

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #10838 on: October 30, 2019, 12:54:16 pm »
My favourite is Papa Johns but its very expensive

Pizza Nara Chicken Gongju isnt bad and its good value. They had a Mexican pizza that had corn chips, salsa and macaroni and cheese on it. Sounds terrible. Tasted wonderful. But it was a limited time only type pizza.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #10839 on: October 30, 2019, 12:58:46 pm »
Best pizza in Korea? It was at Megabox Isu. They have a special floor called ArtNine and they had an Italian place there. Their margherita was amazing.

Now? Brera. And Sanbon has a Monster Pizza now which is stupendous.