Read 1543017 times

• fka
  • Veteran

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #10540 on: October 02, 2019, 06:01:47 pm »
Since you brought it up, why was that Lemon Tree song - a German minor hit from 1995 - so popular here?

And on a similar note, can anyone explain to me the current Korean obsession with Vincent van Gough? I know that film Loving Vincent came out recently but even before that, I'd started to notice van Gough motifs everywhere, and all of a sudden. I also had students proposing van Gough-related projects, which had never happened before. And to cap it all, there's now a van Gough-themed bistro near my apartment. Why did this all take off within the last 12 months?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:05:43 pm by fka »

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #10541 on: October 02, 2019, 06:08:46 pm »
Teenagers going apeshit over KPop is no different than teenagers going apeshit over the Backstreet Boys. You can like it, you can hate it, whatever. It does NOT affect you unless you have an obsessed teenaged child.

So what's your point, are you saying that people should only comment on things that have a direct effect on their lives?  Are you one of these people that go around saying 'why don't you just switch it off?' when people start criticising something they saw on TV. Or when someone says something like  'he's dressed a bit ridiculously', do you say things like 'leave him alone he's not harming anyone?'

Slagging things off that don't affect us is part of normal human interaction, designed to make conversation and bond with people we have similar taste to. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:24:18 pm by stoat »

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #10542 on: October 02, 2019, 06:10:46 pm »
Since you brought it up, why was that Lemon Tree song - a German minor hit from 1995 - so popular here?

And on a similar note, can anyone explain to me the current Korean obsession with Vincent van Gough? I know that film Loving Vincent came out recently but even before that, I'd started to notice van Gough motifs everywhere, and all of a sudden. I also had students proposing van Gough-related projects, which had never happened before. And to cap it all, there's now a van Gough-themed bistro near my apartment. Why did this all take off within the last 12 months?

Van Gogh's been popular in Korea for years since the middle school English book had a unit on him. Ask any Korean adult what their favourite painting is and i guarantee they'll either say 'Starry night' or the Scream (in the same unit)

• AWVM_HXE
  • Adventurer

• June 15, 2016, 06:07:37 pm
    • Asia-Pacific Region
« Reply #10543 on: October 02, 2019, 07:01:11 pm »

I reckon Lemon Tree is popular because it's easy to understand the words and it's really repetitive. Kind of like the otherwise-inexplicable popularity of The Carpenters in Japan.

Regarding your Van Gogh theory, I think you're definitely on the right track. Remember when every ajumma was named "Sunny" and professed to love Boney M because of some stupid movie about old ladies learning to disco? Yeah.

« Reply #10544 on: October 02, 2019, 07:07:31 pm »
I'm bashing kpop fans for often being a bit mental, not being insular and ignorant. I, quite literally, have no idea where this argument came from

He's got a list of pet hates he has about foreigners with regards to their attitude to k pop and he just runs down it everytime the topic comes up. It doesn't really matter what the people he's attacking actually said.
As opposed to the brand new takes on Kpop that the haters come out with?

It's not foreigners, it's music snobs period.

Van Gogh's been popular in Korea for years since the middle school English book had a unit on him. Ask any Korean adult what their favourite painting is and i guarantee they'll either say 'Starry night' or the Scream (in the same unit)
What as opposed to the average American off the street, who would be like "You know, I really like Caravaggio and the Caravaggisti with their brilliant application of chiaroscuro that would go on to influence artists ranging from Rembrandt to David."? The average person is going to say probably Starry Night or The Scream or if they're a hipster, Wanderer Above a Sea of Clouds. The average person can probably name like, 5 famous paintings tops if given 10 seconds to respond, especially when asked randomly over coffee in a foreign language.

Is that what your conversations with Koreans are like? You constantly sitting in judgment waiting for them to demonstrate what peasants they are so you can share some anecdote on waygook.org about it?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10545 on: October 02, 2019, 07:17:42 pm »
Teenagers going apeshit over KPop is no different than teenagers going apeshit over the Backstreet Boys. You can like it, you can hate it, whatever. It does NOT affect you unless you have an obsessed teenaged child.
or if you browse the internet. or live in korea. or teach korean kids

actually it's the teenagers that are the least annoying. grown adults koreaboos are probably the worst

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #10546 on: October 02, 2019, 07:29:12 pm »
What as opposed to the average American off the street, who would be like "You know, I really like Caravaggio and the Caravaggisti with their brilliant application of chiaroscuro that would go on to influence artists ranging from Rembrandt to David."? The average person is going to say probably Starry Night or The Scream or if they're a hipster, Wanderer Above a Sea of Clouds. The average person can probably name like, 5 famous paintings tops if given 10 seconds to respond, especially when asked randomly over coffee in a foreign language

Just making an observation, once again it was you who decided it was an attack against Koreans.  Since you brought up the subject though I will point out that the kind of Korean adult Westerners teach in Korea are not the 'average' person in the US or the UK. In Seoul they are generally the elite of the elite. Often educated abroad at some stage and coming from the richer areas of Seoul, They probably went to various hagwans as kids, including art hagwans.  Again that still wouldn't lead me to think they should know anything about fine art. I actually think it's a positive thing that they remember the paintings they were exposed to in middle school, rather than as you immediately inferred, something negative. I actually brought up my observation of favourite paintings in a lesson with korean students once and they all had a good laugh about it. Probably because they didn't have massive chips on their shoulders like you.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 09:49:11 am by stoat »

• AWVM_HXE
  • Adventurer

• Asia-Pacific Region
« Reply #10547 on: October 02, 2019, 08:08:26 pm »
"The Scream" isn't even by da Vinci ffs

I thankfully am not subject to your first two points- all my Korean students have been far more interested in reggaeton, since that's what the local kids like these days- and I suppose I just...don't look at k-pop sites?  Or have cooler friends than you? ;)

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10548 on: October 02, 2019, 08:10:49 pm »

I thankfully am not subject to your first two points- all my Korean students have been far more interested in reggaeton, since that's what the local kids like these days- and I suppose I just...don't look at k-pop sites?  Or have cooler friends than you? ;)
joke's on you. i don't have any friends

• AWVM_HXE
  • Adventurer

• Asia-Pacific Region
« Reply #10549 on: October 02, 2019, 08:37:09 pm »

Ha! Jokes on YOU, cuz I don't have any friends, either!

.......aw, snap.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #10550 on: October 03, 2019, 03:16:57 am »

Ha! Jokes on YOU, cuz I don't have any friends, either!

.......aw, snap.

You two should hang out.

Two problems solved!

« Reply #10551 on: October 03, 2019, 12:22:12 pm »
I'm bashing kpop fans for often being a bit mental, not being insular and ignorant. I, quite literally, have no idea where this argument came from

I bet you have no idea who Beatoven, Wetknee Houston or Detrout Spinners are either? 

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #10552 on: October 03, 2019, 08:03:20 pm »
Brooms with short sticks!

Arghh.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #10553 on: October 03, 2019, 08:17:02 pm »

I bet you have no idea who Beatoven, Wetknee Houston or Detrout Spinners are either? 
He's young. He'll know Kanwe Rest.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #10554 on: October 03, 2019, 08:56:52 pm »

Arghh.

I wonder if the broom is designed for hunched-over old ladies, or if the old ladies get hunched-over from using the brooms.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10555 on: October 03, 2019, 09:06:12 pm »

Arghh.

What? No!

Asian straw brooms are the only brooms in the world worth having!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 09:08:07 pm by Mr C »

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10556 on: October 03, 2019, 09:21:53 pm »

Really? Um, not really.  Like for most non-Europeans/Westerners, the Impressionists and later movements are LONG-TIME favorites in Asia because they are 1) awesome, and 2) don't require the viewer to be read in on Christianity, European history and mythology.  Sure, Koreans and anyone else can appreciate Michelangelo's David as a perfect form, but you come to Venus and you wonder if she can really surf on an oyster shell.

Sin Saimdang's delicate paintings of insects (insects!) are amazing, but they don't get a single mention in any US children's art textbooks I've ever seen.  Just saying.

And, BTW, how and for what reason is someone disparaging anyone's admiration of van Gogh? Maybe DMT has a point sometimes.

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #10557 on: October 03, 2019, 10:23:00 pm »

Really? Um, not really.  Like for most non-Europeans/Westerners, the Impressionists and later movements are LONG-TIME favorites in Asia because they are 1) awesome, and 2) don't require the viewer to be read in on Christianity, European history and mythology.  Sure, Koreans and anyone else can appreciate Michelangelo's David as a perfect form, but you come to Venus and you wonder if she can really surf on an oyster shell.

Sin Saimdang's delicate paintings of insects (insects!) are amazing, but they don't get a single mention in any US children's art textbooks I've ever seen.  Just saying.

And, BTW, how and for what reason is someone disparaging anyone's admiration of van Gogh? Maybe DMT has a point sometimes.

Korea has a bigger Christian population than most European countries these days, but anyway Westerners don't tend to go  for those religious paintings as much as landscapes and portraits either .e .g.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11427972/The-nations-favourite-paintings-revealed.html

I was specifically pointing out why I think Van Gogh and Starry night is particularly popular.  If you think that's disparaging fair enough, but as I mentioned the Koreans I brought it up with thought it was funny and come to think of it, it was actually them who told me about it being in the Middle school book.   

« Reply #10558 on: October 04, 2019, 07:23:51 am »
As someone who plays 3 instruments and has an ABRSM grade 7 music theory certificate...

So the whole point of your post then (because it's not even worth your time and it bores you) is to tell everyone that you play three instruments and have a music theory certificate  :wink:

I clearly stated that trashing BTS would be a waste of time so that I could open up into a more meaningful discussion about musical taste. If the subject of the conversation is around BTS and why they're bad, to me at least, it seems perfectly reasonable to approach the discussion from an actual musical argument, rather than sour old-man feelings. 
Is your ego that delicate that you're so threatened by somebody who knows more than you in a particular area?

Since you're a layman on music, you're not going to understand or appreciate harmonic or melodic analysis and that's fine, you can still enjoy music. 

Well thank god for that!  Please teach us poor, uneducated laymen riff raff more about music so we can enjoy it properly!

I get the impression that you really don't read what I write before answering. Music can be appreciated on different levels, some of those levels require a certain understanding of how it works.
Music is simply what I spent my time studying. Other folks spent their time learning things I wouldn't have the first clue about and I'd listen if they had something to say. I hate to disappoint you, but upstaging you was really not the motivation for me to work my ass off through years of study and practice. I did it because I like music and wanted to appreciate it on a deeper level.

I really can't help you with your insecurities.

My insecurities, nice.  I read through the next four or five pages and you're still doing it.  I get that you know a lot about music but don't you see how it comes across as really snobbish or negging even?  Bringing up your guitar sweeping skills lol.  Why??  What did that add to the discussion? 

I think of other posters who have their own expertise (Kyndo with his science, CO2 movies, Ronnie's encyclopedic knowledge of Karl Pilkington) but their posts never have the same cocksure smugness as yours.  It might be just be the delivery in which case we can chalk it up to personality and humility.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #10559 on: October 04, 2019, 08:05:38 am »
Guys, guys! Can't you see that Martin has come in and torn this thread asunder?

Lets all just agree:

-Kpop is very awesome. And people who harass you on social media for making fun of it as a joke, are also very awesome. It's all good stuff. Dyed blonde bowl cuts for all!

-Starry Night, The Scream, or that one of Jesus in some Spanish church that an old lady touched up, it's all art and its all great. Fun, fun stuff. And i enjoy it all.

-Rock music is only liked by old white men. And tbh me and Martin are getting kind of sick of you guys. How about some toot tooting be bop? Little bit of Mavis Beacon? Yeah? That's what we grew up on. Rock is dead, get over it.

-As for our own personal musical ability, I'm sure we are all pretty good. And i would LOVE to get together for a jam session. Maybe lay down some tracks. No Nirvana covers, thank you very much. I'm thinking of a more funk infused Kpop. Aristocrat is probably going to want to come in and do some prog rock guitar solos. That's fine. Room for everyone, but we'll save it for the instrumental tracks.

In summary, this very same argument happens once every three to four months. And its apt that the second that Martin is unlocked from his time out room he comes in here and sprays his theories across the thread. But hey, thats part of the flavour of this place. We're living in a society here.
Kpip! - Martin 2018