Read 1887517 times

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #10520 on: October 02, 2019, 12:24:16 pm »
Martin has a preset form reply for all these kind of topics. Waiting for him to bring up someone playing Wonderwall on an acoustic guitar and how black people hate when that happens.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10521 on: October 02, 2019, 02:02:27 pm »
Guys, I'm not saying that everyone has to love Prince. I'm just saying it's weird that in globalized society with an internet-savvy population, a group of four educated Korean people had never heard of a global pop star who was, commercially speaking, the most successful chart act of the 1980s, who sold over 100 million records worldwide, played in massive Japanese arenas dozens of times, and was the subject of enormous international media attention when he died a few years ago. 

Not judging them for it... Just expressing my surprise.
Times have moved on and things were more distant back then. It's a bit like someone in 1976 being mystified that people in Japan didn't know who Glenn Miller and Bennie Goodman were.

I get what you're saying but a more accurate comparison would have those Japanese people growing up in the 1940s, being fans of contemporary Japanese and American jazz and able to easily identify Duke Ellington, Count Basie and Chet Baker. Then imagine Glenn Miller having died in 1974 (after releasing albums and touring sold out stadiums across the world until his death), prompting a huge outpouring of commentary from every significant figure in American jazz. In that situation, it might indeed be surprising that they didn't know who he was.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #10522 on: October 02, 2019, 02:08:05 pm »
I tried PC games and nobody had heard of Starcraft, 1 or 2 (FYI, Starcraft was probably more popular than Overwatch, Battlegrounds and LOL combined, during the late 90s and early 2000s) .

this is upsetting me deeply. it may be because they know it as 스타. even some third graders i had last year at my elementary school knew it

« Reply #10523 on: October 02, 2019, 02:32:11 pm »
have heard of diana ross, never listened. i'm not calling kpop fans uninformed, i'm calling them crazy
(not sure how this argument seems to have changed. this whole thing seems to have stemmed from someone calling nirvana a boyband, and refusing to admit bts are a boyband)

Bashes Koreans for being insular and ignorant of music...hasn't listened to Diana Ross & The Supremes  :rolleyes:

« Reply #10524 on: October 02, 2019, 02:44:31 pm »
I tried PC games and nobody had heard of Starcraft, 1 or 2 (FYI, Starcraft was probably more popular than Overwatch, Battlegrounds and LOL combined, during the late 90s and early 2000s) .

this is upsetting me deeply. it may be because they know it as 스타. even some third graders i had last year at my elementary school knew it

My CT knew it, even though she has no interest in gaming, and did repeat 'sutar' (no Hangul in this OS) to the students. Nope.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #10525 on: October 02, 2019, 02:52:14 pm »

My CT knew it, even though she has no interest in gaming, and did repeat 'sutar' (no Hangul in this OS) to the students. Nope.

this is truly upsetting

« Reply #10526 on: October 02, 2019, 02:58:45 pm »
have heard of diana ross, never listened. i'm not calling kpop fans uninformed, i'm calling them crazy
(not sure how this argument seems to have changed. this whole thing seems to have stemmed from someone calling nirvana a boyband, and refusing to admit bts are a boyband)

Bashes Koreans for being insular and ignorant of music...hasn't listened to Diana Ross & The Supremes  :rolleyes:

You're having a go at Oglop for bashing Koreans for being insular and ignorant about music, by bashing him for being insular and ignorant because he's never listened to Diana Ross and the Supremes?   :rolleyes:  M'kay!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10527 on: October 02, 2019, 03:06:15 pm »
I'm bashing kpop fans for often being a bit mental, not being insular and ignorant. I, quite literally, have no idea where this argument came from

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #10528 on: October 02, 2019, 04:01:43 pm »
I'm bashing kpop fans for often being a bit mental, not being insular and ignorant. I, quite literally, have no idea where this argument came from

He's got a list of pet hates he has about foreigners with regards to their attitude to k pop and he just runs down it everytime the topic comes up. It doesn't really matter what the people he's attacking actually said. 

• AWVM_HXE
  • Adventurer

• June 15, 2016, 06:07:37 pm
    • Asia-Pacific Region
« Reply #10529 on: October 02, 2019, 04:19:36 pm »
Teenagers going apeshit over KPop is no different than teenagers going apeshit over the Backstreet Boys. You can like it, you can hate it, whatever. It does NOT affect you unless you have an obsessed teenaged child.

If you think Koreans not having heard of X musician is crazy, think about the first time you told a Korean that you had no idea what "Lemon Tree" was. *head exploding meme*

All of you tuck your dicks away, you are getting piss everywhere and there's no cause for it.

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10530 on: October 02, 2019, 06:01:47 pm »
Since you brought it up, why was that Lemon Tree song - a German minor hit from 1995 - so popular here?

And on a similar note, can anyone explain to me the current Korean obsession with Vincent van Gough? I know that film Loving Vincent came out recently but even before that, I'd started to notice van Gough motifs everywhere, and all of a sudden. I also had students proposing van Gough-related projects, which had never happened before. And to cap it all, there's now a van Gough-themed bistro near my apartment. Why did this all take off within the last 12 months?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:05:43 pm by fka »

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #10531 on: October 02, 2019, 06:08:46 pm »
Teenagers going apeshit over KPop is no different than teenagers going apeshit over the Backstreet Boys. You can like it, you can hate it, whatever. It does NOT affect you unless you have an obsessed teenaged child.

So what's your point, are you saying that people should only comment on things that have a direct effect on their lives?  Are you one of these people that go around saying 'why don't you just switch it off?' when people start criticising something they saw on TV. Or when someone says something like  'he's dressed a bit ridiculously', do you say things like 'leave him alone he's not harming anyone?'

Slagging things off that don't affect us is part of normal human interaction, designed to make conversation and bond with people we have similar taste to. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:24:18 pm by stoat »

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #10532 on: October 02, 2019, 06:10:46 pm »
Since you brought it up, why was that Lemon Tree song - a German minor hit from 1995 - so popular here?

And on a similar note, can anyone explain to me the current Korean obsession with Vincent van Gough? I know that film Loving Vincent came out recently but even before that, I'd started to notice van Gough motifs everywhere, and all of a sudden. I also had students proposing van Gough-related projects, which had never happened before. And to cap it all, there's now a van Gough-themed bistro near my apartment. Why did this all take off within the last 12 months?

Van Gogh's been popular in Korea for years since the middle school English book had a unit on him. Ask any Korean adult what their favourite painting is and i guarantee they'll either say 'Starry night' or the Scream (in the same unit)

• AWVM_HXE
  • Adventurer

• Asia-Pacific Region
« Reply #10533 on: October 02, 2019, 07:01:11 pm »

I reckon Lemon Tree is popular because it's easy to understand the words and it's really repetitive. Kind of like the otherwise-inexplicable popularity of The Carpenters in Japan.

Regarding your Van Gogh theory, I think you're definitely on the right track. Remember when every ajumma was named "Sunny" and professed to love Boney M because of some stupid movie about old ladies learning to disco? Yeah.

« Reply #10534 on: October 02, 2019, 07:07:31 pm »

He's got a list of pet hates he has about foreigners with regards to their attitude to k pop and he just runs down it everytime the topic comes up. It doesn't really matter what the people he's attacking actually said.
As opposed to the brand new takes on Kpop that the haters come out with?

It's not foreigners, it's music snobs period.

Van Gogh's been popular in Korea for years since the middle school English book had a unit on him. Ask any Korean adult what their favourite painting is and i guarantee they'll either say 'Starry night' or the Scream (in the same unit)
What as opposed to the average American off the street, who would be like "You know, I really like Caravaggio and the Caravaggisti with their brilliant application of chiaroscuro that would go on to influence artists ranging from Rembrandt to David."? The average person is going to say probably Starry Night or The Scream or if they're a hipster, Wanderer Above a Sea of Clouds. The average person can probably name like, 5 famous paintings tops if given 10 seconds to respond, especially when asked randomly over coffee in a foreign language.

Is that what your conversations with Koreans are like? You constantly sitting in judgment waiting for them to demonstrate what peasants they are so you can share some anecdote on waygook.org about it?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10535 on: October 02, 2019, 07:17:42 pm »
or if you browse the internet. or live in korea. or teach korean kids

actually it's the teenagers that are the least annoying. grown adults koreaboos are probably the worst

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #10536 on: October 02, 2019, 07:29:12 pm »
What as opposed to the average American off the street, who would be like "You know, I really like Caravaggio and the Caravaggisti with their brilliant application of chiaroscuro that would go on to influence artists ranging from Rembrandt to David."? The average person is going to say probably Starry Night or The Scream or if they're a hipster, Wanderer Above a Sea of Clouds. The average person can probably name like, 5 famous paintings tops if given 10 seconds to respond, especially when asked randomly over coffee in a foreign language

Just making an observation, once again it was you who decided it was an attack against Koreans.  Since you brought up the subject though I will point out that the kind of Korean adult Westerners teach in Korea are not the 'average' person in the US or the UK. In Seoul they are generally the elite of the elite. Often educated abroad at some stage and coming from the richer areas of Seoul, They probably went to various hagwans as kids, including art hagwans.  Again that still wouldn't lead me to think they should know anything about fine art. I actually think it's a positive thing that they remember the paintings they were exposed to in middle school, rather than as you immediately inferred, something negative. I actually brought up my observation of favourite paintings in a lesson with korean students once and they all had a good laugh about it. Probably because they didn't have massive chips on their shoulders like you.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 09:49:11 am by stoat »

• AWVM_HXE
  • Adventurer

• Asia-Pacific Region
« Reply #10537 on: October 02, 2019, 08:08:26 pm »
"The Scream" isn't even by da Vinci ffs

I thankfully am not subject to your first two points- all my Korean students have been far more interested in reggaeton, since that's what the local kids like these days- and I suppose I just...don't look at k-pop sites?  Or have cooler friends than you? ;)

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10538 on: October 02, 2019, 08:10:49 pm »

I thankfully am not subject to your first two points- all my Korean students have been far more interested in reggaeton, since that's what the local kids like these days- and I suppose I just...don't look at k-pop sites?  Or have cooler friends than you? ;)
joke's on you. i don't have any friends

• AWVM_HXE
  • Adventurer

• Asia-Pacific Region
« Reply #10539 on: October 02, 2019, 08:37:09 pm »

joke's on you. i don't have any friends

Ha! Jokes on YOU, cuz I don't have any friends, either!

.......aw, snap.