• Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #10340 on: September 17, 2019, 11:06:07 am »
Ah. The request must've been deleted before I saw it. :undecided:

« Reply #10341 on: September 17, 2019, 11:46:24 am »
Spicy rice cake dumped on a bunch of white rice isn't a meal. Fight me.

Also ranting about Koreans creating dummy accounts to defend their shitshows. Ffs

Just now saw that thread, I agree that it's definitely a Korean behind the necro, not sure if I'm allowed to post that now, though.

EDIT: **** it, I did it anyway. I hate shady business owners.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 11:49:24 am by Chinguetti »

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #10342 on: September 17, 2019, 11:55:39 am »

Says itís still pending.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10343 on: September 17, 2019, 12:00:25 pm »
Says itís still pending.
Bizarre.

Maybe it's above my paygrade?  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 12:06:31 pm by kyndo »

« Reply #10344 on: September 17, 2019, 12:03:05 pm »
Says itís still pending.
Bizarre.

Maybe it's above my paygrade?  :laugh:

Can you see mine? It's pending approval, too.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10345 on: September 17, 2019, 12:08:52 pm »
No, nada.
Apparently you guys need the kind of oversight that a lowly lvl 1 just isn't qualified to provide.  :sad:

« Reply #10346 on: September 17, 2019, 12:12:15 pm »
No, nada.
Apparently you guys need the kind of oversight that a lowly lvl 1 just isn't qualified to provide.  :sad:

Haha, this is interesting.

« Reply #10347 on: September 17, 2019, 12:20:46 pm »
No, nada.

Hmmm, now I'm thinking 'on a motorbike, an ashtray, as useful as'   :undecided:

It's shame as you'd be on these approvals like a pigeon on a chip. 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10348 on: September 17, 2019, 01:08:54 pm »
I dunno. I'm not exactly to be trusted with authority of any kind.

« Reply #10349 on: September 17, 2019, 01:41:31 pm »

So essentially, you're in charge of the bee?

Just out of interest, do you have a 'Best Driver' jacket you wear to assert authority out and about?

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10350 on: September 17, 2019, 02:34:25 pm »

So essentially, you're in charge of the bee?

Just out of interest, do you have a 'Best Driver' jacket you wear to assert authority out and about?

Well, no. But I've got something even better!

And on those days when I'm feeling especially insecure, I'll pair it with my respect-demanding hat and pants.

« Reply #10351 on: September 19, 2019, 07:55:19 am »
Attitudes to alcohol have changed a lot in my time in Korea.  Ten or so years ago, it was perfectly acceptable for teachers to go out during the week and then rock up to school with hangovers and teach half-assed, smelling of alcohol.  I suppose in elementary and middle now it happens less as both of those finish earlier, so there is no need for 'blowing off steam' as they don't finish late enough for that to happen. 

But in high school, it is still prevalent.  I say this mainly among the older 40s and 50s male teachers.  There is a group of 4 or 5 bloke teachers at my school who do this.  One being my 2nd grade co-teacher.  He is perfectly good at teaching.  But yesterday, he came in saying he blacked out the night before, and he stank while talking to me.  Fine, I had no classes with him yesterday.  Then, when I come to school today his car is parked with the other notorious drinker's car who is in charge of the 3rd grade students (lest we forget, they have the uni entrance test in a couple of months).  They weren't in school early, so it's obvious to me that they were out getting wasted leaving their cars at school.  They rock up at 8:20 today, grinning, and no doubt stinking of booze.  Two days in a row.   :rolleyes:

I realised now that unprofessionalism is one of my huge pet peeves.  You get paid to do a job and you do it from start to finish to the best of your ability.  Doesn't matter if you're a binman, teacher or chef.  You don't let other things get in the way, especially something like alcohol.  I suppose it's a responsibility and pride thing with me.  With teachers, if it's one or two times a semester, I could possibly give it a pass here (welcome dinners/special occasions etc), but it's once a week with these guys.  My students tell me how some teachers smell and then surely they tell their parents, and then at some point something has to be done about it as the parents will complain to the school, because there is no reason to be doing it once or twice  :huh: a week.  Especially in high school.  Students study their asses off through elementary and high school and then when it matters most in high school, you have a teacher who can't teach competently because they are hungover.  Ridiculous. 

« Reply #10352 on: September 19, 2019, 08:04:50 am »
I wonder if they do it because they know they don't need to put any effort into their actual teaching.  They've probably taught the same material day in day out for the past 20 years so they're way past the point of having to put any effort in.  Also teachers don't seem to be strictly evaluated here like they are in the UK (just my own point of reference) so again they can just get away with it.

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #10353 on: September 19, 2019, 08:35:52 am »
I wonder if they do it because they know they don't need to put any effort into their actual teaching.  They've probably taught the same material day in day out for the past 20 years so they're way past the point of having to put any effort in.  Also teachers don't seem to be strictly evaluated here like they are in the UK (just my own point of reference) so again they can just get away with it.

Yes but in the UK they no doubt get lots of advanced warning of any observations so alcoholics can stay off the bottle beforehand.  Also alcoholism is considered to be an illness by UK government employers so technically you could claim any bad lessons were due to your chronic medical problem and probably get lots of paid leave into the bargain.

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #10354 on: September 19, 2019, 10:31:03 am »
Yeah i am glad i don't really drink very much and i think you should always be ready for work. I also really hate smelling drunk people and smokers on the train when you are up close to them all squashed in together. I have a sensitive nose. Are they not aware how they smell? Maybe they are not and probably don't care.

Also......

I am starting to get annoyed at the sound of people scuffing their feet as they walk. Especially people who wear slippers. Maybe it's because i have listened to some ASMR and it's made me more aware of sounds. Anyway i am going to filter it out before it really gets on my nerves. I have now been successful in filtering out annoying Kakao notifications and ring tones. I am even not getting bothered by slurping so much anymore  - progress.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #10355 on: September 19, 2019, 12:36:26 pm »
Finally, I got an answer.

For the longest time, I couldn't understand why all my classes are fitted with more than a dozens fluorescent lights, why my CTs insist on turning every one of them on regardless of incoming sunlight and why everything in Korea is generally lit up to 6500k.

I wasn't getting straight answers and I initially assumed that was some kind of collectivist mindset that everything bright is "good". Turns out, it's the parents and their belief in BS.

My CTs make sure that every light is searing through my corneas to prevent any wrath from parents. Apparently, anything dimmer than an upscale department store makeup isle, will certainly lead to permanent eye damage, according to the parents.
I'm not sure from which quack they got this information, but it's right up there with fan-death and only blonde-haired and blue-eyed people being native English speakers.

It's a myth that dim lighting causes eye damage. It does cause eye-strain, which tires your vision quicker, but no damage at all. Furthermore, the absence of brightness is NOT dimness, it's a range measured in Kelvin, for God's sake. I think we can blame binary thinking again.

The reason this bothers me is that, at the front of the class, I'm standing under the full-fury of the insanely bright lights. I also took it upon myself, as a teacher, to make a few students (the future of this country) understand the environmental cost of wasting electricity. Now, I'm not such a bastard that I'm going to put my CT, who is terrified of the parents, in the line of fire by... turning off a light (was hard to write that). I'll let her have her way, but I'll keep teaching my students to be responsible with their electricity usage.

It's also pretty laughable that parents are concerned about their kids being subjected to a single Kelvin under 6500k, while happily allowing them to hold a smartphone 3cm from their noses, for half the time their eyes are open.

« Reply #10356 on: September 19, 2019, 12:48:58 pm »
An older colleague of mine is a frantic clicker. She can't manage a simple PPT and I had to teach her how to use the CD-ROM. She screws up both regularly, sometimes in novel ways that I've never seen before. Well, we all have our strengths and weaknesses, right? No. She is so bad at classroom management that it's actually more efficient to have her manage the computer than the students. Also, she doesn't speak English.  I can't wait to move on from this school and its dumping-ground English department.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10357 on: September 19, 2019, 01:25:10 pm »

For the longest time, I couldn't understand why all my classes are fitted with more than a dozens fluorescent lights, why my CTs insist on turning every one of them on regardless of incoming sunlight and why everything in Korea is generally lit up to 6500k.

I wasn't getting straight answers and I initially assumed that was some kind of collectivist mindset that everything bright is "good". Turns out, it's the parents and their belief in BS.

My CTs make sure that every light is searing through my corneas to prevent any wrath from parents. Apparently, anything dimmer than an upscale department store makeup isle, will certainly lead to permanent eye damage, according to the parents.
I'm not sure from which quack they got this information, but it's right up there with fan-death and only blonde-haired and blue-eyed people being native English speakers.

It's a myth that dim lighting causes eye damage. It does cause eye-strain, which tires your vision quicker, but no damage at all. Furthermore, the absence of brightness is NOT dimness, it's a range measured in Kelvin, for God's sake. I think we can blame binary thinking again.

The reason this bothers me is that, at the front of the class, I'm standing under the full-fury of the insanely bright lights. I also took it upon myself, as a teacher, to make a few students (the future of this country) understand the environmental cost of wasting electricity. Now, I'm not such a bastard that I'm going to put my CT, who is terrified of the parents, in the line of fire by... turning off a light (was hard to write that). I'll let her have her way, but I'll keep teaching my students to be responsible with their electricity usage.

It's also pretty laughable that parents are concerned about their kids being subjected to a single Kelvin under 6500k, while happily allowing them to hold a smartphone 3cm from their noses, for half the time their eyes are open.

ironically, i've heard that focusing constantly on something near to you (i.e. from studying too much) causes eye damage. i guess that's not something the parents want to hear/believe though

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #10358 on: September 19, 2019, 02:04:34 pm »

ironically, i've heard that focusing constantly on something near to you (i.e. from studying too much) causes eye damage. i guess that's not something the parents want to hear/believe though

Thatís evidenced by the trope that nerds wear glasses.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10359 on: September 19, 2019, 05:02:45 pm »