Read 1578995 times

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #10240 on: September 03, 2019, 10:46:30 am »
Every time I've seen it I just hear things like, "this is the most delicious thing I have ever eaten" or "Korea is the most impressive place I've ever been". It's so cringe worthy. I have to leave the room. I literally cannot stand it

Oglop, why do you think Koreans are always looking for this kind of affirmation?  I haven't come across it in other countries.

If I could have a go at answering this, Western tourists coming here is still a comparatively novel thing. Obviously if it's an important enough event to make a TV show about it, viewers would rather see Western tourists liking stuff here than slagging it off. Koreans also get a lot of propaganda at school - in particular in English lessons they're specifically taught how to tell foreigners how great Korea is. Hence you only have to mention K pop to a Korean adult and they will tell you apropos of nothing that K pop is famous all over the world. Straight from Middle School English unit 10.
Every time I've seen it I just hear things like, "this is the most delicious thing I have ever eaten" or "Korea is the most impressive place I've ever been". It's so cringe worthy. I have to leave the room. I literally cannot stand it

Oglop, why do you think Koreans are always looking for this kind of affirmation?  I haven't come across it in other countries.

If I could have a go at answering this, Western tourists coming here is still a comparatively novel thing. Obviously if it's an important enough event to make a TV show about it, viewers would rather see Western tourists liking stuff here than slagging it off. Koreans also get a lot of propaganda at school - in particular in English lessons they're specifically taught how to tell foreigners how great Korea is. Hence you only have to mention K pop to a Korean adult and they will tell you apropos of nothing that K pop is famous all over the world. Straight from Middle School English unit 10.
yeah, of course it's this. but it feels like not liking a single korean food/thing is slighting the whole country and causes outrage. it's okay not to enjoy every single aspect of a country. i would never feel offended if somebody doesn't like fish and chips or english public transportation (i'd actually be curious about non-british peooples' *actual* thoughts more than anything)

wasn't there one episode with some russian girls and one girl diidn't have a very good time? something about her getting sick and staying in the hotel most of the time, and really just wanting to go home. apparently it received a lot of complaints as people took it to her hating korea. i'd like an article about that if anyone has one.

Talking of seeking conformation, I've noticed the only cultural topics my students (who are planning to study in the UK) ask me about are the negative ones abut the UK that they've already heard about. So they'll ask me about not being able to access the internet in the underground, the generally slow internet speed, the expensive transport, the way a lot of pubs close at 11 etc.. They'll never say something like 'I've heard that the UK has a really good live music scene/fascinating history/is great for fashion etc...is that true? 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:55:12 am by stoat »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10241 on: September 03, 2019, 11:03:55 am »
damn. i've noticed this actually.

"oh you're from england? i heard english food is really bad"
"err..nice to meet you too"

not that i give a shit either way that someone said something negative about the uk, but, yeah, imagine saying something negative about korea in the first sentence of meeting someone

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #10242 on: September 03, 2019, 11:10:22 am »

yeah, of course it's this. but it feels like not liking a single korean food/thing is slighting the whole country and causes outrage. it's okay not to enjoy every single aspect of a country. i would never feel offended if somebody doesn't like fish and chips or english public transportation (i'd actually be curious about non-british peooples' *actual* thoughts more than anything)

wasn't there one episode with some russian girls and one girl diidn't have a very good time? something about her getting sick and staying in the hotel most of the time, and really just wanting to go home. apparently it received a lot of complaints as people took it to her hating korea. i'd like an article about that if anyone has one.

It's like they have an inferiority complex.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #10243 on: September 03, 2019, 11:14:04 am »

It's like they have an inferiority complex.

3....2.....1 with demartian....

Oh no, he's been muted....

:laugh:

« Reply #10244 on: September 03, 2019, 11:34:30 am »

The hypersensitivity to any [perceived] criticism isn't super related to those TV shows, though. I remember when Academy-award winning film Birdman was released, there was a line in it where a character says the place she's in 'smells like kimchi.' This was literally deemed newsworthy and people were calling for the movie to be banned from showing in Korea.

Also, you can find people like that around the world. They love to complain how their country is in the dumps because of whatever reasons, and how terrible everything is. But the moment anyone else says anything even remotely critical about the country, and they're immediately the most offended person in the world. Funny, that.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #10245 on: September 03, 2019, 11:35:09 am »
damn. i've noticed this actually.

"oh you're from england? i heard english food is really bad"
"err..nice to meet you too"

not that i give a shit either way that someone said something negative about the uk, but, yeah, imagine saying something negative about korea in the first sentence of meeting someone

Hi, I'm Kevin. Oh, you're from Korea? That's the country with all the dead students in that boat, right?
The joys of fauxtherhood

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #10246 on: September 03, 2019, 12:35:44 pm »
Aristocrat:  "They didn't keep on top of the maintenance and the school will be undergoing renovations from January to late February, meaning there'll be no 2 week school period at the start of February."

My commiserations on what was clearly an astonishingly short summer break.  But your school does the come back in February for a week or two before having another spring break vacation?  I thought those had been eliminated across the board?  We first did it at my school last year and I got the impression we were behind the curve.  We'll close down on January 10th next year and that's it until the new year in March.  Obviously I was mistaken. 

« Reply #10247 on: September 03, 2019, 12:39:51 pm »
Hi, I'm Kevin. Oh, you're from Korea? That's the country with all the dead students in that boat, right?

Lately I've been getting a lot of comments about the string of mass shootings that's been going on in the States, lol. At least it's recent. ;P

« Reply #10248 on: September 03, 2019, 01:01:06 pm »
Man you boys have really done a number on DeMartino here.  ;D He must seething and compiling piles of drafts about how you should learn to speak Korean or understand the culture better to enjoy Korean TV for how great it could be if only you were better.  :evil:

That is funny though when someone replies with 'the food is disgusting there' when you say you are from England. I'd imagine it might not have been that great when the Germans were dropping bombs but England is one of the most diverse countries in the world with ample food options from just about every country you can think of. Oh, and people in England stopped eating spam 30 years ago mate. Jog on.

Ever spoken to a Korean that's been to Europe? Especially Italy?

Me: Oooh Italy, how was the food?

Korean: Too salty.

Me: Right, still though, coffee, ice cream, pizza? Oh, I'd love to eat a pizza in Italy.

Korean: No, everything was too salty so we ate Ramyun for 3 days then we went to Austria to complain about the lack of loudspeakers on the mountain treks.
Who is here in 2019?

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #10249 on: September 03, 2019, 01:14:30 pm »
Korean: No, everything was too salty so we ate Ramyun for 3 days
Jin Ramyeon is the second saltiest thing I've ever put in my mouth, truly. 
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #10250 on: September 03, 2019, 01:26:34 pm »

Lately I've been getting a lot of comments about the string of mass shootings that's been going on in the States, lol. At least it's recent. ;P

Something I read this morning. The US is on day 244 or something of the year, and there has been over 270 mass shootings in the US in just 2019. That's more than 1 per day.
I'm surprised that's not more alarming to the people there.

« Reply #10251 on: September 03, 2019, 01:35:20 pm »

Salty Sally from Songtan being numero uno?

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #10252 on: September 03, 2019, 01:35:42 pm »

Something I read this morning. The US is on day 244 or something of the year, and there has been over 270 mass shootings in the US in just 2019. That's more than 1 per day.

There have also been nearly 40,000 'normal' shootings, so there's no particular reason to worry about the mass ones.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 01:37:24 pm by stoat »

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #10253 on: September 03, 2019, 01:36:53 pm »
I fellated Dr DeM in Seoul Pub last year.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #10254 on: September 03, 2019, 01:42:50 pm »

I feel for the normal, rational US person who wants to sensibly outlaw assault weapons and have background checks to get a gun.  I'm not alarmed by the fact that the trumps, mcconnells and the other GOP have received so much money from the NRA and fossil fuel companies that they no nothing with two such huge issues.  That, to me, is the saddest and also the most disgraceful thing about it.  The shooting this past week, was nothing to do with mental illness.  The dude lost his job, did something stupid in traffic and then went crazy in a rage, completely pissing on the 'it's the person who pulls the trigger who's at fault, not the gun'   :rolleyes:

« Reply #10255 on: September 03, 2019, 01:44:10 pm »
I fellated Dr DeM in Seoul Pub last year.

Umami?

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #10256 on: September 03, 2019, 01:46:16 pm »
The joys of fauxtherhood

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #10258 on: September 03, 2019, 05:32:39 pm »

“Greasy” is another word which I do not understand when used by Koreans to describe foreign food.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10259 on: September 03, 2019, 06:18:09 pm »
Makes no sense. Korean food is insanely salty. Especially ramyeon. The soup is like pure salt