Read 1512724 times

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #10120 on: August 01, 2019, 12:44:27 pm »
to be fair, you don't really need an english dictionary at elementary schools. they'd take 10 minutes looking up something, and the class is only 40 minutes

Generally true.  But my sixth graders do a debate during the lesson on expressing opinions, and the dictionaries get some serious use as the teams are preparing their arguments.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10121 on: August 01, 2019, 12:46:12 pm »
to be fair, you don't really need an english dictionary at elementary schools. they'd take 10 minutes looking up something, and the class is only 40 minutes

Generally true.  But my sixth graders do a debate during the lesson on expressing opinions, and the dictionaries get some serious use as the teams are preparing their arguments.
damn, that's great. bet that's a great class to teach

« Reply #10122 on: August 06, 2019, 03:37:54 pm »
What purpose do I serve just sitting here till 4:40?? Can't I just go home around 3? I'm getting sick and tired of this crap. I did my camp today and I have 5 more days to go. They're so rigid with not letting me go until 4:40. What's the education office going to do? Call and find out if I stayed till 4:40 every day during summer?????? Uggghhhhhhhh

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #10123 on: August 06, 2019, 04:57:37 pm »
What purpose do I serve just sitting here till 4:40?? Can't I just go home around 3? I'm getting sick and tired of this crap. I did my camp today and I have 5 more days to go. They're so rigid with not letting me go until 4:40. What's the education office going to do? Call and find out if I stayed till 4:40 every day during summer?????? Uggghhhhhhhh

Would it kill you to be diligent??? Diligence is the most important thing. Be a good teacher, be diligent.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• fruitloops
  • Adventurer

• July 22, 2019, 12:00:41 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #10124 on: August 07, 2019, 11:15:59 am »
LOL I post a good analogy about Jimmy McGill and Erin Brill as comparisons to English Teachers in Korea and taeyang mod calls it low effort and locks it.   Yes, the mods here are really your typical mods like anywhere else...making up for what they lack in RL.   Whatever floats your boat.

• fruitloops
  • Adventurer

• July 22, 2019, 12:00:41 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #10125 on: August 07, 2019, 11:18:44 am »

Like I said, we are the Jimmy McGill's of english teachers.  The Erin Brills are the ones who would think quite opposite of this and be more than glad to stay til 4:40 and deskwarm probably writing up 2020 and 2021's lesson plans and summer/winter camps.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10126 on: August 07, 2019, 12:06:15 pm »
Yes, the mods here are really your typical mods like anywhere else...making up for what they lack in RL.   Whatever floats your boat.
Ahoy!
Actually, I really  wish that I had a boat in RL. But considering ESL wages, that ship has sailed.
My lack of real world yachts is why all my moderating efforts include nautical references.
No point in alliding my head against my desk, though, as pretty much everything else in my life is in ship-shape!

« Reply #10127 on: August 07, 2019, 07:35:23 pm »

Like I said, we are the Jimmy McGill's of english teachers.  The Erin Brills are the ones who would think quite opposite of this and be more than glad to stay til 4:40 and deskwarm probably writing up 2020 and 2021's lesson plans and summer/winter camps.

Spoken like someone who has never been in a position of authority and responsibility and accountability before. You do realize that if every employees acts like Jimmy McGill, then the entire operation would fall apart, right? You do also realize that if one employee gets special privileges, then ALL employees get special privileges and then one day the internal auditors show up and notice that no one is at the school and ask what's going on and start going through the records and the books, right?

I know, I know, you think you're so smart that you'll never get caught. In reality the only reason YOU haven't been caught is you're not significant enough for anyone to care.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #10128 on: August 07, 2019, 08:11:55 pm »
...In reality the only reason YOU haven't been caught is you're not significant enough for anyone to care.

:)

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
« Reply #10129 on: August 08, 2019, 02:42:40 pm »

I often think the same thing, but the way I rationalize it is if you wanna pay me to read books and surf the internet, then who am I to complain? I won't find a better deal than that.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10130 on: August 08, 2019, 08:24:46 pm »
right, i'm almost certain that the whole of korean tv is run and funded by the mighty Ramyeon Mafia. there's no other explanation as to why every single tv show - regardless of the show or genre - films people sitting around eating ramyeon, every single episode

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #10131 on: August 08, 2019, 08:47:53 pm »
right, i'm almost certain that the whole of korean tv is run and funded by the mighty Ramyeon Mafia. there's no other explanation as to why every single tv show - regardless of the show or genre - films people sitting around eating ramyeon, every single episode

Itís almost like boobs in western TV!

« Reply #10132 on: August 08, 2019, 11:24:52 pm »

I often think the same thing, but the way I rationalize it is if you wanna pay me to read books and surf the internet, then who am I to complain? I won't find a better deal than that.

Exactly. Anyone complaining about getting paid to do nothing is clearly someone who has never worked a hard manual labor job or been reliant on an hourly paycheck and come to work with nothing to do and being sent home 30 minutes into your shift when you were hoping to bank 70 bucks in wages and a hundred in tips that day and suddenly your budget is wrecked for that concert you wanted to go to.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #10133 on: August 09, 2019, 02:07:31 pm »
I really wish Koreans would mind their business sometimes. There are the good ones who are offering to help when you're in need of some kind of assistance, and then there's the ajeossi who sees the foreigner at the post office and decides he wants to see how well the employee can communicate with him. Let's peek at the foreigner's personal information as well so we know that she's translating correctly!

It doesn't serve any purpose, like a lot of things in this country. But there are many things you can accomplish with your time, if you know what to do. I can't tell you how much anime I've watched!
The World Ends With You

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10134 on: August 09, 2019, 02:13:15 pm »

Exactly. Anyone complaining about getting paid to do nothing is clearly someone who has never worked a hard manual labor job or been reliant on an hourly paycheck and come to work with nothing to do and being sent home 30 minutes into your shift when you were hoping to bank 70 bucks in wages and a hundred in tips that day and suddenly your budget is wrecked for that concert you wanted to go to.
is it normal in other countries for teachers to be forced to stay at school until a certain time? if you're prepared and ready for the next day, i don't see why anyone should have to stay and sit, doing nothing at their desk

« Reply #10135 on: August 09, 2019, 02:33:58 pm »

is it normal in other countries for teachers to be forced to stay at school until a certain time? if you're prepared and ready for the next day, i don't see why anyone should have to stay and sit, doing nothing at their desk

What does your contract state?
Articles of Confederation, the supreme law of the land.

« Reply #10136 on: August 09, 2019, 02:36:08 pm »
At least in the US, it varies in accordance with employee's status and contract and whether they are part of a union. But generally, yes, there are a minimum number of working hours required both for the semester/school term and the work week. All of which is subject to government oversight.

Did they sign the contract to work a specified number of hours per week and a specified number of days per year? If so, they should have no problem fulfilling the terms of their contract. If they wanted something different, they could have negotiated prior to signing. Or perhaps do a few favors and then when it comes time to getting what they want, the school might be more flexible.

Anyways, it's always funny how people here will complain about Korean contracts being guidelines, and then being upset that the school doesn't see the contract as a guideline. Then they'll complain about unfair treatment, but want special treatment from the terms of the contract. They'll complain that the school asks for a favor and coming in on some school event on the weekend and then complain that their school won't do them a solid and let them leave early during summer.

I DO have sympathy for the people who are consistent- The school did a "guideline" interpretation of their contract and won't do the same for them. The school asked them for a favor, which they did, and won't do one for them. Or the people who want a strict interpretation of the contract and the school isn't following it strictly in ensuring their proper vacation and compensation and they, the teacher, have strictly followed the contract. All of that is fine. That's objective consistency.

But be consistent in your principles.

« Reply #10137 on: August 09, 2019, 02:39:49 pm »

No it's not normal. I'm comparing my experience as a teacher from back home (Australia). If you're finished for the day, no extra classes, lesson planned and no meetings after school. You can sign out and go home.

« Reply #10138 on: August 09, 2019, 02:52:12 pm »
No it's not normal. I'm comparing my experience as a teacher from back home (Australia). If you're finished for the day, no extra classes, lesson planned and no meetings after school. You can sign out and go home.
Were you part of a teacher's union that negotiated that through collective bargaining and part of a contract which you signed?

I'm pretty sure in the contract there is SOME sort of clause that mandates a certain number of working days and working hours.

Anyways, this research suggests that teachers in Australia are working MORE hours than teachers in Korea. Now of course, this doesn't deal with NETs, who have different terms, but then you might have to compare Australian contract workers with the relevant educational body vs. contracted NETs. http://www.oecd.org/education/EAG2014-Indicator%20D4%20(eng).pdf

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10139 on: August 09, 2019, 07:46:16 pm »

What does your contract state?
i don't work for any MOE. i DO teach at a private elementary school, however, and can go home whenever i'm done planning. i get paid by the class, but also get paid overtime (same rate) if i need to do paperwork, which is nice. so i'm free to work other jobs and make more money if i want.

it's just a waste of everyone's time sitting at your desk doing nothing. if they offer you extra after school classes, fair enough. but sitting...doing nothing....for 4 hours every day? feck off