Read 2015680 times

• Nokcha
  • Super Waygook

• August 22, 2012, 02:37:27 pm
    • Seoul
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #10100 on: July 30, 2019, 07:27:52 am »
I teach in elementary and have been to two different schools, and neither had an alphabet.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10101 on: July 30, 2019, 07:48:47 am »
to be fair, you don't really need an english dictionary at elementary schools. they'd take 10 minutes looking up something, and the class is only 40 minutes

i used to teach IELTS in australia, and many of the korean/japanese students would have those electronic dictionaries. the dictionaries would always give a weird, antiquated translations though, so it was always a chore when reading their essays, trying to figure out what the hell they are trying to say :laugh:

« Reply #10102 on: July 30, 2019, 08:41:46 am »
There are five in my middle school classroom, but they never get used unless the students are forced, and you really, really have to force them.

I have no idea why. They're like personal cheat guides.

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #10103 on: July 30, 2019, 11:50:08 am »
There are five in my middle school classroom, but they never get used unless the students are forced, and you really, really have to force them.

I have no idea why. They're like personal cheat guides.

I have six in my middle school room, and I tend to use/offer them for after school classes and camps. My writing-focused after school class uses them without prompting (they're shy, and they prefer it to asking the teacher sometimes). During camp, I allow the dictionaries for cheat guides in certain games, especially if I'm disqualifying things based on spelling. Students tend to reach for dictionaries more if they're already on the desks, too.

Dictionaries might be helpful in class (i.e. if a student doesn't know a word on a worksheet, or needs a word for making a poster or something), but I've never seen a full set in a classroom.

« Reply #10104 on: July 30, 2019, 12:54:04 pm »
to be fair, you don't really need an english dictionary at elementary schools. they'd take 10 minutes looking up something, and the class is only 40 minutes

i used to teach IELTS in australia, and many of the korean/japanese students would have those electronic dictionaries. the dictionaries would always give a weird, antiquated translations though, so it was always a chore when reading their essays, trying to figure out what the hell they are trying to say :laugh:

It's more a question of teaching them to take initiative. Whenever most students don't understand a word or sentence, they'll either give up or just ask the teacher or a friend.  Once they're told what the word means, they completely forget the English word. English simply becomes a code to immediately translate into Korean instead of a language of it's own.  A dictionary, not an electronic one, creates the habit of trying to figure out what one doesn't know. The effort required to look up the word and gradually comprehend the sentence makes the brain think more critically and increases the likelihood that the word will be remembered.

Today, I designed an Escape Room activity for camp. The students thoroughly enjoyed it, even though only one team successfully completed it and even then, it was with
PLENTY of hints from my CT . Basically, each time they found an item they were given a clue which gave the location of the next item.

The clues were somewhat challenging, but nothing they hadn't learned before or couldn't handle.

The problem my CT and I noticed was that the students simply didn't finish reading the clues, before trying to figure out what the sentence actually meant, they'd stop reading, usually mid-sentence, once they thought they knew and simply scratch wherever they could. Once they didn't find the item, not one of them attempted to slowly reread or comprehend the entire clue... it was a perfect illustration of impatience and a lack of focus.
What I also noticed was that not one of the students took charge of their team and once scratching wherever they could, regardless of what the hint said, yielded nothing, they'd all start arguing.

Patience, the ability to focus and leadership skills are very rare to find over here.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 01:05:27 pm by Aristocrat »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10105 on: July 30, 2019, 01:19:28 pm »
i probably bother looking up a french word i didn't know, in french class (even though the teacher kept telling us), so i do udnerstand that

but, yes, kids are more or less spoon-fed everything here. if you think it's bad in elementary, my wife's biggest complain about kindergarten (she's a kindy teacher) is that they aren't allowed to do ANYTHING for themselves. the are treated like complete babies

• elsbethm
  • Veteran

• September 29, 2016, 09:26:54 pm
    • gangwondo
« Reply #10106 on: July 30, 2019, 02:57:38 pm »
Omg, so spoon-fed.
I did an activity during my camp which was definitely hard.  But I gave them all the tools they needed to do it, they just needed to put in 2 seconds of thought and a bit of effort.
My cot almost stopped the activity, but I managed to stop him.  Next thing we know, we have a class full of students doing an amazing job and really enjoying the activity. 

Reminds me of my first year. I was playing a writing game with my grade 4s with the words (and numbers) written on the chalkboard.  All they had to do was think of the number, look at board, and write the English word that was there.
Nope! Apparently that was too hard so my cot told them to just write the numeral (ie-no English). The next week they had a writing test and, no surprise, they failed. 
And somehow my cot was shocked by that.

« Reply #10107 on: July 31, 2019, 08:30:01 am »
Camp usually ends up bringing way more frustration than the same time spent teaching.

Almost 40 students volunteered for my school's camp, including 2 of my star students. These 2 girls are diligent, humble, curious and always enthusiastic about improving their English and knowledge of western culture. There was only space for 20 students, so, a kind of lottery was put in place and unfortunately, these girls didn't win. They told me they were pretty disappointed and tried extra hard in the classes preceding the end of the school term. 

First day of camp, 3 students don't show up.

One casually strolls in the next day, 20min late, and I ask where she was.  The girl sheepishly says she was sleeping, and laughs. Not one person in the class, including my CT saw the problem. The other 2 didn't arrive.

Today, 2 students are missing. Where are they? Oh, their family decided to go on vacation. They signed up for the camp, came for the first day and the family decides to go on holiday. The exact same thing happens almost every year at every camp.

Sometimes, I really don't understand the mentality in this country and it's a good thing my time here is limited.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #10108 on: July 31, 2019, 06:23:12 pm »
Camp usually ends up bringing way more frustration than the same time spent teaching.

Almost 40 students volunteered for my school's camp, including 2 of my star students. These 2 girls are diligent, humble, curious and always enthusiastic about improving their English and knowledge of western culture. There was only space for 20 students, so, a kind of lottery was put in place and unfortunately, these girls didn't win. They told me they were pretty disappointed and tried extra hard in the classes preceding the end of the school term. 

One casually strolls in the next day, 20min late, and I ask where she was.  The girl sheepishly says she was sleeping, and laughs. Not one person in the class, including my CT saw the problem. The other 2 didn't arrive.

Today, 2 students are missing. Where are they? Oh, their family decided to go on vacation. They signed up for the camp, came for the first day and the family decides to go on holiday. The exact same thing happens almost every year at every camp.

Sometimes, I really don't understand the mentality in this country and it's a good thing my time here is limited.

Summer camps arenít much different in Canada. We are here for longer than expected, and my son has been successful in getting into 4  weekly camps from the waiting list.

« Reply #10109 on: August 01, 2019, 10:31:49 am »

Those students should be banned from attending future camps to teach them (and their parents) a lesson about manners. I know that a Korean public servant would never be brave enough to do that and face the inevitable outrage from the entitled parents, but it's what those rude and disrespectful families deserve.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10110 on: August 01, 2019, 12:44:27 pm »

Generally true.  But my sixth graders do a debate during the lesson on expressing opinions, and the dictionaries get some serious use as the teams are preparing their arguments.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10111 on: August 01, 2019, 12:46:12 pm »

Generally true.  But my sixth graders do a debate during the lesson on expressing opinions, and the dictionaries get some serious use as the teams are preparing their arguments.
damn, that's great. bet that's a great class to teach

• doradevi
  • Adventurer

• February 28, 2017, 01:04:59 pm
« Reply #10112 on: August 06, 2019, 03:37:54 pm »
What purpose do I serve just sitting here till 4:40?? Can't I just go home around 3? I'm getting sick and tired of this crap. I did my camp today and I have 5 more days to go. They're so rigid with not letting me go until 4:40. What's the education office going to do? Call and find out if I stayed till 4:40 every day during summer?????? Uggghhhhhhhh

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #10113 on: August 06, 2019, 04:57:37 pm »
What purpose do I serve just sitting here till 4:40?? Can't I just go home around 3? I'm getting sick and tired of this crap. I did my camp today and I have 5 more days to go. They're so rigid with not letting me go until 4:40. What's the education office going to do? Call and find out if I stayed till 4:40 every day during summer?????? Uggghhhhhhhh

Would it kill you to be diligent??? Diligence is the most important thing. Be a good teacher, be diligent.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #10114 on: August 07, 2019, 11:15:59 am »
LOL I post a good analogy about Jimmy McGill and Erin Brill as comparisons to English Teachers in Korea and taeyang mod calls it low effort and locks it.   Yes, the mods here are really your typical mods like anywhere else...making up for what they lack in RL.   Whatever floats your boat.

« Reply #10115 on: August 07, 2019, 11:18:44 am »

Like I said, we are the Jimmy McGill's of english teachers.  The Erin Brills are the ones who would think quite opposite of this and be more than glad to stay til 4:40 and deskwarm probably writing up 2020 and 2021's lesson plans and summer/winter camps.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10116 on: August 07, 2019, 12:06:15 pm »
Yes, the mods here are really your typical mods like anywhere else...making up for what they lack in RL.   Whatever floats your boat.
Ahoy!
Actually, I really  wish that I had a boat in RL. But considering ESL wages, that ship has sailed.
My lack of real world yachts is why all my moderating efforts include nautical references.
No point in alliding my head against my desk, though, as pretty much everything else in my life is in ship-shape!

« Reply #10117 on: August 07, 2019, 07:35:23 pm »

Like I said, we are the Jimmy McGill's of english teachers.  The Erin Brills are the ones who would think quite opposite of this and be more than glad to stay til 4:40 and deskwarm probably writing up 2020 and 2021's lesson plans and summer/winter camps.

Spoken like someone who has never been in a position of authority and responsibility and accountability before. You do realize that if every employees acts like Jimmy McGill, then the entire operation would fall apart, right? You do also realize that if one employee gets special privileges, then ALL employees get special privileges and then one day the internal auditors show up and notice that no one is at the school and ask what's going on and start going through the records and the books, right?

I know, I know, you think you're so smart that you'll never get caught. In reality the only reason YOU haven't been caught is you're not significant enough for anyone to care.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #10118 on: August 07, 2019, 08:11:55 pm »
...In reality the only reason YOU haven't been caught is you're not significant enough for anyone to care.

:)

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
« Reply #10119 on: August 08, 2019, 02:42:40 pm »

I often think the same thing, but the way I rationalize it is if you wanna pay me to read books and surf the internet, then who am I to complain? I won't find a better deal than that.