Read 18322 times

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
Shorts at work?
« on: July 05, 2016, 12:22:10 pm »
Are you allowed to wear shorts to work? It's so hot outside and humid. But it seems like men have to wear long pants. How are the rules at your job?

Re: Shorts at work?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 12:26:52 pm »
반바지 안돼요

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 12:29:45 pm »
I have made it very clear with my employers over the years: air conditioner OR shorts. I can't teach without one or the other.

Once the air con came on the same day.
Once a director said, "Both are okay."
Once I wore shorts and got an additional fan deposited in my classroom.

You gotta decide for yourself where you draw the line.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 12:29:52 pm »
I am not. I was wearing a collared button-up shirt and pants (obv), when a 5th grade teacher said, "Aren't you hot?"

YES. ENJOY YOUR SKIRT.  :rolleyes:
The joys of fauxtherhood

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 12:31:37 pm »
YES. ENJOY YOUR SKIRT.  :rolleyes:
5th graders wearing a skirt? I've never seen that. Is it some elite prep school? *shrug*

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 12:49:22 pm »
Ya, it's starting to get muggy here! I guess I'm being lazy and continuing to wear a button down shirt and dress pants. Kinda thinking about just NOT wearing an undershirt and rolling up my sleeves (I did not bring any short sleeve dress shirts). Seeing some of the other male teachers at my schools, they'll roll up their pant legs a bit. More than one could consider fashionable in the states, but it got me thinking how that could lead to a little more ventilation.

Also out of most male teachers, I've come to realize I'm the most "dressed up" and am wondering if I'm caring too much. Most of them jeans and some sort of decent one piece shirt, so what's to stop me from doing the same?

Most definitely for my camps and the rest of my desk warming to finish out my contract I'll be wearing jeans and a T-shirt.   

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 12:53:17 pm »
Most definitely for my camps and the rest of my desk warming to finish out my contract I'll be wearing jeans and a T-shirt.
Jeans in the summer?! ... 32 C and humidity and jeans just don't mix.

• bakeaus2
  • Explorer

• October 28, 2013, 12:49:52 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 12:53:33 pm »
For your camps, there is no dress code (except what would be obviously unacceptable). So feel free to wear shorts then. It literally says in your contract (if you are epik/smoe).

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 12:57:55 pm »
Currently wearing shorts.  No one's ever said anything about it  :undecided:

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 12:58:12 pm »
You don't wear shorts. It's very simple.

There needs to be some standards of acceptable attire.

For men , shorts and sandals are NEVER EVER acceptable.

Unless of course you are talking about going to the beach.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 01:08:09 pm by Thomas Mc »

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 01:02:42 pm »
I'm not allowed to wear shorts but skirts are okay.

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 01:10:10 pm »
I'd wear shorts during my commute with a pair of khakis in my bag.  Once I got to work, I'd kick on the AC until I cooled down and then throw on my pants. 

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 01:13:37 pm »
Men don't wear shorts unless they're doing some sort of outdoor/sports activity. Get with the program.  If you want some cool pants to wear, just order some Haggar's or something like that. Men look ridiculous in shorts otherwise. I wouldn't give directions to a man in shorts who was just walking about.

• oli125
  • Adventurer

• November 23, 2015, 07:53:56 am
    • south korea
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 01:17:35 pm »
Shorts are a must here in summer. I suffer from hyperhidrosis (that's excessive sweating for those who don't know) so much so that I have wet pits etc throughout the winter months too. I'm not overweight or out of shape at all...it's just the one of the bad cards I was dealt, unfortunately. As a result I always have and always will start wearing shorts at work from April.
In the past and also at my current position I never asked permission to do this I just turned up in shorts. To date, I have never once had a problem doing this- maybe I have just been lucky with my bosses though.
I understand that some people see the idea of shorts at work as unprofessional and what not, however, I think as long as you wear simple beige shorts and a simple cotton t-shirt/ shirt you can also look reasonably smart and stay cool at the same time:)

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 01:21:57 pm »
Men don't wear shorts unless they're doing some sort of outdoor/sports activity. Get with the program.  If you want some cool pants to wear, just order some Haggar's or something like that. Men look ridiculous in shorts otherwise. I wouldn't give directions to a man in shorts who was just walking about.
You know what looks ridiculous?  Someone giving directions to people just out walking about, because we all know that men don't ask for directions, at least not from where I'm from. 

• Zaiterade
  • Super Waygook

• September 08, 2015, 07:36:23 am
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 01:25:08 pm »
I usually stick with cargo shorts. Not only do they keep me cool, but all of the pockets allow me to hold all of the phone numbers I get from girls.

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 18, 2015, 12:26:47 am
    • Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 01:29:00 pm »

Harsh but hilarious  :laugh:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 01:39:30 pm »
are some people saying that shorts should only be for exercise or the beach?

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 01:46:25 pm »
The dress code at my school is thankfully fairly relaxed, but I wouldn't go as far as wearing shorts during the semester.  But I would during summer camp.  During semester I wear light summer pants, not dress pants but neat pants (never jeans although some other teachers do) and polo shirts, so I'm kinda neat casual I guess, have the collar without going for the buttons (and I think short sleeve button up shirts look kinda stupid, especially if it's tucked in).

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 01:52:32 pm »
Currently wearing shorts.  No one's ever said anything about it  :undecided:

A lot of chick dress shorts can pass for a kind of stylish skirt.  So, women have the unfair advantage in this area.  I could never wear shorts.  I usually wear Jeans and some kind of shirt.  But I started elementary school and I seem to notice more teachers dressed up at the elementary level than in middle school.  More teachers wore jeans in middle than seem to in elementary.  Elementary seems to have more of a stricter and traditional Korean environment in some ways.  But, not too bad for me.  I keep wearing the jeans and occasionally dressing up on rare occasion.  I would only wear shorts or sweat pants on some kind of school hiking expedition or outdoor sports day.  Even I don't dare wear shorts to school.