Read 8920 times

Traffic fines
« on: July 04, 2016, 02:28:24 am »
Hey everybody
I bought a car 4 monthes ago and I think I did many traffic violation because there was alot of rules I don't know about

My Q is how I know if there is penalties registered upon me?
I didn't recive any tickets at my home

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
Re: Traffic fines
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 07:48:55 am »
Go to your local district office or vehicle registration office and ask them for a list of outstanding tickets

• Eros
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2010, 02:43:24 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 07:59:04 am »
I wouldn't worry about it. If you have committed an offence, it's incumbent upon the authorities to notify you of the fact. I don't know Korean law, but I would be amazed if police can charge you with an offence without actually telling you about it.

• z80
  • Expert Waygook

• August 24, 2014, 07:34:50 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 08:24:17 am »
Eros have you lived in Korea for 1 day?

Anyway, if you have an online banking certificate or a government issued certificate you can check it out at some website, but I forgot what site it was.

I have only had one fine, when I stopped for a car crash in front of me, I was on the red light camera, and I got three fines all at once (I was there for three turns of the lights) and I took it to the police station, and they sorted it out.

I believe you can pay them at the bank if you do get some.
But if your ARC address is up to date they would send them to you.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 09:03:23 am »
Hey everybody
I bought a car 4 monthes ago and I think I did many traffic violation because there was alot of rules I don't know about

You should receive the fine in the mail, and on the paper they send, it will tell you how to pay them.

On another note, if you say, get a speeding ticket, it is normal that you need to pay, and you get hit with points on your license.

To avoid getting hit with points, you can actually just not pay the fine until it is a few months past the overdue date. You will have to pay about 50% more, but you will not get the points. My friend does this, as he has to because he already has around 4 tickets this year  :shocked:

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 09:36:22 am »
Eros have you lived in Korea for 1 day?

Anyway, if you have an online banking certificate or a government issued certificate you can check it out at some website, but I forgot what site it was.

I have only had one fine, when I stopped for a car crash in front of me, I was on the red light camera, and I got three fines all at once (I was there for three turns of the lights) and I took it to the police station, and they sorted it out.

I believe you can pay them at the bank if you do get some.
But if your ARC address is up to date they would send them to you.

He's not wrong. It's not his responsibility to seek out fines. It's the issuing authority's responsibility to notify you not the other way around.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 10:05:38 am »
Hey everybody

You should receive the fine in the mail, and on the paper they send, it will tell you how to pay them.

On another note, if you say, get a speeding ticket, it is normal that you need to pay, and you get hit with points on your license.

To avoid getting hit with points, you can actually just not pay the fine until it is a few months past the overdue date. You will have to pay about 50% more, but you will not get the points. My friend does this, as he has to because he already has around 4 tickets this year  :shocked:

I once received a speeding ticket and it gave a choice where if you pay an extra 10,000 Won then you don't receive points on your license.

• z80
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 10:06:31 am »
I 100% agree with eros and you, and in our own countries this is correct.

But this is how it goes in Korea.

Police pulls you over (ha - chance of that happening is very very very low).

Hey you have unpaid fines, you are in big trouble.

But you didn't send me any fines. How am I supposed to know about these?

Give me your ARC. Yes your ARC Address is correct. You have unpaid fines. You are in big trouble.

But I never was notified about these!

Well your ARC address is correct? Oh It isn't, then you are in trouble with the immigration department too. They will need to issue you another fine.

If your ARC address is correct then you will get the fines because you know, here in Korea, Post is 100% reliable. You are not telling the truth, you did get the fines.

• yfb
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2010, 11:50:12 am
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 10:41:01 am »
You can check any fines at www.efine.go.kr

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 11:03:48 am »
I 100% agree with eros and you, and in our own countries this is correct.

But this is how it goes in Korea.

Police pulls you over (ha - chance of that happening is very very very low).

Hey you have unpaid fines, you are in big trouble.

But you didn't send me any fines. How am I supposed to know about these?

Give me your ARC. Yes your ARC Address is correct. You have unpaid fines. You are in big trouble.

But I never was notified about these!

Well your ARC address is correct? Oh It isn't, then you are in trouble with the immigration department too. They will need to issue you another fine.

If your ARC address is correct then you will get the fines because you know, here in Korea, Post is 100% reliable. You are not telling the truth, you did get the fines.

Okey dokey. I get you now.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 11:57:39 am »
You don't get into trouble with immigration over parking fines and speeding tickets.

Immigration is only concerned when there is an actual incident that involves a police report and the prosecution service.

Moreover, the police can't do much over your unpaid traffic fines, especially if the fines were given by another district. The worst they'll do is ask you to pay as soon as you can, and they'll probably give you another fine. I know this because I specifically had a conversation about this with a police officer in hongdae about 2 years back.

Ive known people with hundreds of thousands of won in fines and tickets, who either paid them off after a few years, or somehow miraculously had the fines forgiven.

I've also known of some people who had their front plates confiscated over unpaid fines...if you see 2-3 people suspiciously walking around your street or building parking lot taking notes of number plates, they are probably looking for people with unpaid fines and car tax...I guess it depends on how desperate the district is for cash.

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 12:03:16 pm »
You don't get into trouble with immigration over parking fines and speeding tickets.

Immigration is only concerned when there is an actual incident that involves a police report and the prosecution service.

He didn't mean immigration care about traffic tickets. He meant you will get into trouble with immigration if you haven't updated your address (within 2 weeks of a change I think).  If you use 'wrong address' as an excuse it will come back to bite you.

• z80
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 12:23:12 pm »
Waygo0k if you want to run around with unpaid fines, be my guest.

No mater how much you hate the place, I try not to burn any bridges.

You never know when you might need to or want to end up back in Korea, and you don't know the circumstance ether. I for one would love to come back here when the North is finally joined back up with the South (be it under Western or Chinese control).

Immigration and police/prosecutors office are attempting to work much closer after some American guy on "bail" went back home.

Here is something interesting:-

Even if you are not under an official international hold, Korea Immigration may refuse your departure based on information from data being shared between the Police, Prosecution, National Tax Service and other Korean government agencies.  Please note that the Korea Immigration is a branch of the Ministry of Justice. The Ministry of Justice is in charge of the majority of prosecutions in Korea. 

Now how much they implement this is practice is unknown. But we all know the Korean governments increasing fascination with foreigners and bad evil people corrupting the pure Korean people. So is some English teachers $70 unpaid speeding ticket because he was 10km over the limit while other cars flashed past him at 60kmh over the limit because they know where the road speed sensor is going to be an issue that stops you leaving? Do you want to risk that?

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 02:17:48 pm »
I've renewed my visa twice with speeding tickets I didn't even know I had. I went on holiday to Hong Kong and London during that period and nobody said anything during my exit or re-entry.

I didn't find out about the tickets till I went to de-register my car at my city's registration centre this year.

As far as I know, prosecutors aren't interested in speeding fines and parking tickets..why would they be? Unless a criminal offense has been committed (car accidents and fender benders included), prosecutors aren't in the picture. Speeding and Parking illegally aren't criminal offenses, they're traffic violations.

As for people who bail out of the country for good and don't pay their fines, I haven't heard of anyone that has done so and tried to come back. They might well be denied a visa based on this, but then again the case would have to be in the hands of the prosecution service for that to happen.

He didn't mean immigration care about traffic tickets. He meant you will get into trouble with immigration if you haven't updated your address (within 2 weeks of a change I think).  If you use 'wrong address' as an excuse it will come back to bite you.

That's true. But the average police officer doesn't care about that. Plus, believe it or not, it's not illegal to lie to a police officer in Korea, even when there is video evidence present.

So if you tell an officer you didn't receive your ticket(s) in the mail because you changed your address, it would be a minor miracle for him to even think of checking with immigration..that's more work and paperwork for him. He would rather give you another ticket on the spot and have you on your way.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 02:20:54 pm by waygo0k »

• DLJL
  • Super Waygook

• July 26, 2015, 08:33:30 pm
    • Yeosu
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 02:25:19 pm »
Can I hijack this thread to ask a similarly themed question - I've been hit with a bill for car tax, 130,000 for three months, due to be paid now.

But I'm leaving two weeks into August. Is there a way to just tax your car until I leave or should I pay the full 130,000 even though I'll be leaving so soon?

My co-teachers super helpful advice was to just not pay it and hope i dont get in trouble.  :lipsrsealed:

• Jgrat
  • Super Waygook

• May 16, 2011, 06:14:29 am
    • Siheung
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 03:05:42 pm »
You won't be able to sell/transfer registration with tax owing. If you plan on just leaving your car on the side of the road when you leave then there isn't much they can do about that.

Unfortunately, tax is and always will be a pain but it has got to be paid.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 03:40:13 pm »
As far as I know, car tax is non-negotiable. You have the car, you pay the tax. You receive a bill for 60-70k won every 6 months

I was double taxed when I moved from Seoul to my current city. I'd already paid the tax in Seoul for the first half of the year, only to receive a tax bill from my new city for the same time period.

When I went to the gu office to complain and let them know I'd paid my tax in Seoul, they were like "sorry you just have to pay". I guess there's some loophole that allows them to do that.

TL;DR - car tax is non-negotiable. You have to pay.

I hope that helps.

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 04:45:35 pm »
Ah. A heads up everyone. I like to think I am good about following traffic rules, other than speeding, but I would like yo let you all know about this month's police plan.(?) The news evidently is cracking down on the lavk of use of indicators this month and possibly next. They will most likely be posted up near busier intersections amd places with busy merges, such as getting in line for the IC.

• mrc45
  • Super Waygook

• April 19, 2015, 12:50:26 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 04:53:09 pm »
Hey everybody

monthes? did many traffic violation?  how I know? Common Korean grammar mistakes and only one post at that. Korean trolls are easy to spot, guys.

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 06:14:26 pm »
Hey everybody

monthes? did many traffic violation?  how I know? Common Korean grammar mistakes and only one post at that. Korean trolls are easy to spot, guys.

Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit