Read 2146 times

• Zaiterade
  • Super Waygook

• September 08, 2015, 07:36:23 am
How much would it cost to end a phone contract?
« on: June 29, 2016, 09:27:45 am »
One more question for you guys as I prepare to leave in 2 months. When I came here my coteacher helped me sign up for 2 years of phone service and home internet from KT, as before I thought I would be staying in Korea for 2 years. Things changed. I pay around 43,000 won per month for this service. I brought my own unlocked phone here and am using a Korean SIM.

How much do you think it would cost to end the contract a year early?

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 18, 2015, 12:26:47 am
    • Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Re: How much would it cost to end a phone contract?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 10:09:04 am »
I actually just called up LGU+ for this reason, I'm ending mine in August, it will cost me 389,000 won

edit: i think most of that is for the cost of the handset. I think to actually just cancel the contract itself it is pretty reasonable. Give your phone company a call to find out
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:38:56 am by Imogen1991 »

• jimwall5
  • Veteran

• March 03, 2014, 07:49:56 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 10:27:01 am »
I think you can get people to take over your contract. I don't know how easy it is, but you might want to look into it if you want to save some money

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• May 02, 2014, 01:27:07 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 10:47:16 am »
I think you can get people to take over your contract. I don't know how easy it is, but you might want to look into it if you want to save some money

Yeah, if you are breaking it a whole year early, you should see if someone wants to buy off your contract.

I am not 100%, but I am pretty sure if you don't you will have to pay off the remainder of your contract.

• Zaiterade
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 10:56:47 am »
I actually just called up LGU+ for this reason, I'm ending mine in August, it will cost me 389,000 won

edit: i think most of that is for the cost of the handset. I think to actually just cancel the contract itself it is pretty reasonable. Give your phone company a call to find out
I might give them a call to find out. Does KT have an english number?

And yeah your cost includes paying off your phone? I think mine should be cheaper, as I never bought any phones or hardware here. I only pay for service.

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 10:57:22 am »
On a related note, does anyone have experience with getting their Korean phone unlocked to use abroad?

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 10:58:25 am »

I might give them a call to find out. Does KT have an english number?

And yeah your cost includes paying off your phone? I think mine should be cheaper, as I never bought any phones or hardware here. I only pay for service.

I'm not sure, I'm with LGU+! Maybe give it a google?

Yeah it definitely does include that. Like 300,000 of it seemed to be paying off the phone from what I could decipher

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 11:32:22 am »
On a related note, does anyone have experience with getting their Korean phone unlocked to use abroad?

All new phones in Korea are unlocked (LG Telecom may be the exception), if yours is locked, take it to them and tell them to unlock it, it should be free

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 11:32:46 am »

All new phones in Korea are unlocked (LG Telecom may be the exception), if yours is locked, take it to them and tell them to unlock it, it should be free

Thanks!

• Zaiterade
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 11:41:40 am »
I unlocked my Galaxy S5 last year before I arrived. I ended my then current contract in the US with AT&T, and then I visited a local non chain phone shop that unlocked it for around $30. After that I was free to use and customize it as I pleased.

Most phone stores here are KT or SK or LGU+, but perhaps some cities have smaller mom and pop phone stores? I am willing to bet for a price they will gladly unlock a phone for you. Not sure if the big chains can do it.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 12:03:46 pm »
I unlocked my Galaxy S5 last year before I arrived. I ended my then current contract in the US with AT&T, and then I visited a local non chain phone shop that unlocked it for around $30. After that I was free to use and customize it as I pleased.

Most phone stores here are KT or SK or LGU+, but perhaps some cities have smaller mom and pop phone stores? I am willing to bet for a price they will gladly unlock a phone for you. Not sure if the big chains can do it.

Only the main offices of the telecom's can unlock, not the mom and pop stores (perhaps they can act as a go-between), but as I have said, mostly they are unlocked. I had an iPhone 4S so that goes back a few years and it was unlocked. As I said too, LG Telecom was the exception for a while longer but I think they are all unlocked now.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 12:10:18 pm »

She is referring to a phone that is in Korea not one brought to Korea from outside.  Anyway, glad you got it unlocked, I have heard from some people from the US that it is sometimes a bit of a pain to get them unlocked, hopefully the US government has passed legislation enforcing the sale of unlocked phones.

• Zaiterade
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 12:18:51 pm »

She is referring to a phone that is in Korea not one brought to Korea from outside.  Anyway, glad you got it unlocked, I have heard from some people from the US that it is sometimes a bit of a pain to get them unlocked, hopefully the US government has passed legislation enforcing the sale of unlocked phones.
Haha I mentioned that story because I was hoping there was a similar process with this in Korea. Even though different countries change some software on the phones, I would assume the general schematics are all the same.

• gideonvasquez
  • Super Waygook

• August 27, 2015, 08:42:34 am
    • Uisung - Gyeongbuk-do
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 08:09:38 am »
Give them a call.

I'm pretty sure these are their numbers.
From within Korea
(Tel-landline)02-2190-1180, (Mobile)1583
The mobile number is toll free from a KT phone. Both are for their English-speaking lines. I called the mobile number to look in to changing my plan rates. Very helpful and they speak English, so that's nice. It should also be noted that cancelling a plan (at least for phones) has to be done in person at a KT olleh store. If you Korean isn't the greatest I would recommend one of KT's global stores.