Read 3707 times

• castowers
  • Veteran

• August 28, 2015, 01:37:36 pm
    • Chungbuk, South Korea
Beer Pong aka Juice/Soda Pong
« on: June 28, 2016, 06:21:38 pm »
Someone posted an amazing Kings Cup PPT recently so here's a Juice Pong PPT for summer camp. Includes rules for bounce shots and redemption.

Re: Beer Pong aka Juice/Soda Pong
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 09:00:24 am »
I like this, and I want to include it in my camp, but how do you incorporate English into it...?

• castowers
  • Veteran

• August 28, 2015, 01:37:36 pm
    • Chungbuk, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 01:23:56 pm »
My co-teachers are really lenient so I think we're just going to use it as a game at the end of camp. But, if you want to incorporate English, you could write a category on the board and the students would have to respond before shooting.
Ex: "Animals" written on board: "elephants" "dogs" "monkeys" etc.

Or you could write random words on the board and the students could make sentences (like in the Kings Cup game that has been posted). Although, that may be hard to manage. Alternatively, you could have a bunch of random words thrown together and the students have to draw a word and rhyme it or make a sentence.

You could have slips of paper with easy introduction questions and have them answer them before shooting. This way the game would be like an ice breaker. Ex: "What's your name?" "How old are you?" "How many brothers and sisters do you have?" "Do you have a pet?" "What's your favorite _________?" etc.

Hopefully, one of those was helpful. :)

• hbelle1991
  • Explorer

• March 02, 2015, 08:42:45 am
    • Texas, United States
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 10:46:34 am »
Two English rules I've used and had success with:

To qualify to shoot each round, you have to participate in a Q/A. The shooter will ask a question (depending on their levels you can help or make a list available or whatever you want) and the opposite team/side should answer. (I've been lucky and have yet to have a problem with absolute zero participation/cooperation, so making a "consequence" for not answering or not asking [like missing a turn] hasn't been necessary.)

An alternative, that results in less English, but a faster-moving game that engages more difficult students, is to have the cups numbered or connected in some way to a numbered list of questions. If the students make the ball into the cup, they have to answer the English question associated with the cup, otherwise the ball doesn't count. They go crazy hahaha  :evil:

Anyway, good luck!

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 11:07:27 am »
I made a two powerpoint games (10 and 6 cup versions) to go along with a "juice" pong game.  Works similar to a bomb game with a standard question answer slide.  Alternatively if your classes are larger and you'er going to have more than one game going at a time, I'm going to make a pile of cards with different questions, depending on student level.  Like "Name 5 words that start with M, Do you have a sister? What day is today? Picture cards with "What's he doing?", etc. Students can pull a card when they sink a shot, if they can't answer, their opponent's cup stays on the table.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:10:37 pm by AdamVandersall »

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 09:35:46 am »
Hmm this is old...but this is a fantastic idea. My middle school boys are (hopefully) going to eat this up.

I work at a sports school so I'm hoping the physical element really gets them excited. I've been lumbered with a 90 minute long extremely low level afterschool class so I've been desperately looking for something fun.

(Background: They are unmotivated soccer players who literally have no interest in anything other than sports and "adult" movies...)

Thanks for the PPTs guys :) I'll probably use the first one because its great for explaining the rules clearly and the second to keep it english focused with some questions.

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 10:03:33 am »
Definitely try it out. I've done this at my middle schools and it's always a hit. I have them practice for a while then go over the rules. I only attempt it if it's with a relatively small group of students, though. Personally I just have the soda/snacks on the side and use water in the cups. They will get spilled eventually.

I also recommend trying flip cup and kings cup. I incorporate my own twists to make them into reading/ speaking games. Eventually the kids will borrow from the kings cup rules I give them add in their own rules for each card. It's nice to have them be creative and they usually dole out some pretty funny (cruel) punishments for the losing players.  ;D

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 09:51:57 am »
I tried it and it was pretty popular! I only have five of them so I think they enjoyed it.

The only thing was they were so, so bad at it haha so it (good for me) took a long time and a couple of students ended up getting bored (these ones are bored no matter what I do though, they told me they chose my extra class thinking we'd watch movies every week  >:( )

Definitely worked better than 99% of the stuff I've tried with them thus far!

Thanks I'll check the other stuff out too :)