Read 2092 times

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Exit Allowance (SMOE)
« on: June 28, 2016, 12:58:47 pm »
Quick question. Here seems as good as any place to ask, and I can't really ask the coordinator.

I work for SMOE.
Recently changed my visa from E2 to F6.
Not renewing, but want the exit allowance.
I know I have to show a plane ticket to prove I'm leaving Korea, but... do I have to be on the plane?
I'd rather just buy a ticket, show SMOE, cancel ticket, receive exit allowance.

Otherwise I'd have to leave the country for a day and come back.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

Re: Exit Allowance (SMOE)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 01:38:01 pm »
Moral and ethical questions aside, i see no reason why you can't get away with your plan.
If you show them the ticket, you'll get your money, then cancelling the flight and not boarding the plane would never be known to them. How would they find out? So unlikely to be found out.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 01:46:42 pm »
I thought SMOE cancelled that.  You still get it? 

• afheil89
  • Veteran

• August 23, 2014, 12:41:16 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 01:53:21 pm »
I thought SMOE cancelled that.  You still get it?

They cancelled the renewal bonus not the exit allowance.
I teach, eat, and travel through Korea and write about it. http://www.ashleyheil.com

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 02:55:52 pm »
Moral and ethical questions aside, i see no reason why you can't get away with your plan.
If you show them the ticket, you'll get your money, then cancelling the flight and not boarding the plane would never be known to them. How would they find out? So unlikely to be found out.
Aye, this is what I figured, but if you change your employment inside Korea, you don't get your flight allowance.

The only way I figured SMOE would know about this would be to keep in contact with immigration.

And if they do keep in contact, then I'm guessing they would see that I hadn't have left the country.

Maybe I'm being overly paranoid?

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 03:19:12 am »
They usually ask for your boarding pass....so you can't cancel your ticket.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 05:38:08 am »
They usually ask for your boarding pass....so you can't cancel your ticket.

I understand the logical fallacy of using my personal experience as sound evidence, nonetheless, in my 15+ years, I've never been asked for a boarding pass.

Who are the "they" that are asking for your boarding pass?

• apancoe
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 08:44:40 am
    • south korea
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 07:20:54 am »
i was in a similar situation 2 years ago...i was going to buy a ticket to Qingdao (cheapest one i could find) and then go through the charade of showing my co-teacher the paperwork and everything. he was a cool enough guy, so i told him my plan. he said he didn't care, but wasn't sure if it would work because to complete the paperwork, he was going to need not just the ticket, but also the boarding pass. so i just bailed on the plan and gave up like 2 mill won.

it sucked.

too many blueprints & not enough architects

• Mr. Pink
  • Adventurer

• May 23, 2016, 07:24:52 pm
    • NY
    more
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 07:38:56 am »
If you were on an E2 visa you might have problems since receiving the exit allowance means they cancel your visa after it expires, so you can't do a visa transfer and have to get all new docs and apply for a new visa.

But on an F6 you are golden. Seeing your boarding pass before getting the allowance really depends on the POE/MOE. Just ask if they need to see. Just book a cheap ticket to Japan or Taiwan. Worse comes to worst you get to spend a weekend there on your office of education's dime.

• jinteh
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2011, 08:47:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 07:42:35 am »
Maybe things are different for each airline, but aren't boarding passes only available after checking-in, up to 24 hours in advance of a flight?

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 10:01:42 am »
Maybe things are different for each airline, but aren't boarding passes only available after checking-in, up to 24 hours in advance of a flight?

Yes! I'd be absolutely baffled if they asked me to show them a boarding pass. I never get my boarding pass until an hour or two before boarding.

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 11:59:19 am »
Precisely.  You then send your boarding pass back to Korea and get your money.  That's why it's a good indicator that you indeed left the country.

Not all contracts require it.  Read yours carefully.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 01:59:32 pm »
well, after doing some research, the coordinator just said "Remember to show your flight itinerary out of the country to collect your exit allowance."

so i guess you only need to show a plane ticket, you don't need to show a boarding pass, and you don't even really need to leave the country

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 02:36:33 pm »
You could have your travel agent send a proposed itinerary, so you don't even need to buy a ticket.

If you do have to get a ticket, then get a refundable one.  The refund fee will be a lot less than the bonus you get.

Good luck.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 02:48:35 pm »

If you do have to get a ticket, then get a refundable one.  The refund fee will be a lot less than the bonus you get.

Good luck.

yeah, this was my plan all along. cheers