Read 2550 times

Educational Materials
« on: December 03, 2009, 08:16:49 am »
Hello all,

I was just notified that the Office of Education has put 250,000 Won at my disposal, specifically me the Native Teacher, to buy educational materials for either my students or my teacher workshops. My students are in middle school, but we live in Goheung-eup which is pretty rural so they are of a lower level. I'm wondering if others use or know of any materials that they would like to recommend. This is what I've thought of:

1. Additional subscriptions to the Junior Herald (English newspaper for students)

2. Storybooks; but I don't know of a particular series that would be good

3. Some appropriate movies might be nice, put I'm new to this field an do not know any

Thanks,

John

Re: Educational Materials
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 08:24:11 am »
250k would buy alot of soju for your schools administrators..... .... Just my 20 won.  :o

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 02:29:39 pm »
You can buy a lot of pecans with 250K!

That's an inside joke for you folks not in Goheung.  :-*

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 02:39:37 pm »
On a helpful note:

Scrabble is always good and I would buy extra tiles if possible. They are very useful.

A monopoly game could be good for extra classes - it would teach counting money in English and such. Make sure its an older game with the paper money and not the newer version with the credit card.

For movies, most Pixar movies play well with middle-school kids. Stuff like Toy Story (is 3 the latest one?) or the new movie Up. The Disney stuff usually goes well. Try to browse for a movie with a deeper meaning if possible so the more advanced students have something to think about. WALL-E falls into this group with the underlying message about protecting the environment.

Also, I would ask if some of the money could be saved for printing work. I have found several things that I would like to have professional printed and laminated for the students but I'm not sure if the money is available. For example, I found some animal cards from ESL Printables that can be used in many types of lessons. But by the time the students get done with them they're trashed and I need to print and cut-out a new set for the next day.

• merle
  • Veteran

• May 08, 2008, 08:04:02 am
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 04:27:41 pm »
With middle school students so into comic books and graphic novels, it might be interesting to start a small library of English comic books.
They've already read a lot of Japanese comics translated into Korean, like Death Note ect.
That style of novel could work very well, because they are not as intimidating as a full-on text-only novel, but there is also a surprising amount of reading involved, as well.

Another good game that I've found useful is called Word Up.  I think it is sold online (my copy is a bit old and battered, so I don't remember).  It's really great for practicing reading, speaking and listening skills.  Also, various levels of students can play the game at the same time, as there are graduated skill level questions.

• hampyeong
  • Waygookin

• September 01, 2009, 09:11:25 am
    • Hampyeong, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 08:36:14 am »
This book is a MUST in any esl classroom. The short stories and accompanying picture-story that comes with each can be used in a million different ways in your classroom. There are a lot of different books and levels in this "Easy True Stories" series.

Easy True Stories: A Picture-Based Beginning Reader
~ Sandra Heyer

Games:
-Pictionary Jr. (you can use the pictionary cards for many purposes even without the game itself)
-Guess Who! (best esl descriptions game ever! but will be expensive to buy many copies and ship them)

-Candy :)

-Dice

• merle
  • Veteran

• May 08, 2008, 08:04:02 am
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 03:06:41 pm »
This book is a MUST in any esl classroom. The short stories and accompanying picture-story that comes with each can be used in a million different ways in your classroom. There are a lot of different books and levels in this "Easy True Stories" series.

Easy True Stories: A Picture-Based Beginning Reader
~ Sandra Heyer

I second this recommendation.  I've used this book as well as the other editions  (Very Easy True Stories, All New Easy True Stories, etc) and they do work very well!